FerrariEnzo

Cleveland: Little Italy: Development and News

Although I haven't been to LI in years, I have to say, parking garages is not the answer. MTS hates garages/parking lots!

:whip:

Uh oh, he's starting to refer to himself in third person....

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Although I haven't been to LI in years, I have to say, parking garages is not the answer.  MTS hates garages/parking lots!

:whip:

Uh oh, he's starting to refer to himself in third person....

MTS thanks you!

I heard that the Coltman townhomes should be going up soon. I'm not sure how they are phasing the development, but i do know that they have sold at least one unit.

Thanks for the info 3231.  If they are indeed phasing, I really hope they start out with the Mayfield Rd and E.119th Corner, it has a lot more visibility.  But based on the site plan that wouldn't seem to make much sense.

That's the one... actually I recall an article by litt saying most hurdles cleared and they were supposed to start soon? or maybe that was coltman.  now I have these confused.  I just did a search, there are a lot of mayfield lofts articles in various threads, random cleveland, general UC, etc.  This weekend I may try to bring all those into this thread.  In the meantime anyone know the status?

I remember that debate now.  Cleveland needs to remove all height maximums from its zoning and replace them with minimums.  Nip that right in the bud.

http://blog.cleveland.com/architecture/2009/02/cleveland_architect_scott_dimi.html

Cleveland architect Scott Dimit raises his profile with two new residential projects

Posted by Steven Litt / Plain Dealer Architecture Critic

February 24, 2009 09:35AM

The recession has dampened residential real estate activity in Cleveland dramatically. But there are signs of life amid the gloom, including two new small- and medium-sized projects in Rocky River and Cleveland's Little Italy neighborhood, led by developer Andrew Brickman.

Brickman said he has financing for both projects, from Parkview Federal Savings Bank and from Key Bank, respectively, and plans to start construction this year. That alone would be newsworthy in a climate that has seen large developments in Cleveland languish for lack of construction money...

Drove past Mayfield Lofts the other day and, for the 1st time, noticed a rendering similar to that in Steve Litt's PD piece (below) 1.5 years ago pushing for condo zoning... Maybe it's been there for a while, but I only remember a blank sign before... The website claims it'll be up, soon, but so far, nothing... Is this project moving forward?

http://blog.cleveland.com/architecture/2008/04/little_italy_condo_project_sho.html

That sign has been up for perhaps a year.

Here are some pics on the progress of 27 Coltman in Little Italy / UC.

It looks like there will be a bunch of these when it's all done. (I know... 27 of 'em)

(Circle 118 (no pics) directly across Euclid Ave is coming along too)

27Coltman-1.jpg

27ColtmanI.jpg

The McCullough Ctr of the CIA is directly across the Rapid tracks , the upper floors of many Coltman units will have this building within view.

The new many-paned green windows look good. Warehouse-y.

CIA.jpg

I like the black and brown color scheme. Very manly! It will be a bitch to cool those in the summer, but they'll be nice and toasty on a sunny winter day.

wow...what a deal!!

La Dolce Vita building in Little Italy sold at court-ordered auction

By Michelle Jarboe, The Plain Dealer

November 02, 2009, 5:44PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- A high-profile building in Cleveland's Little Italy neighborhood sold at a court-ordered auction Monday, ending a foreclosure process that began in early 2005.

Lender JDI Murray Hill LLC entered the only bid -- $333,334 -- for the three-story building that houses La Dolce Vita bistro.

MORE AT CLEVELAND.COM http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2009/11/la_dolce_vita_building_in_litt.html

McCleveland I agree something needs to be done with that building. I have no idea what the history is concerning the owners but during my last visit it was really depressing to see such a vital corner looking so ghetto. Something strange must be going on because someone should have snatched that building up by now. Perhaps someone on here has the inside scoop.

Well... I meant to post this a while ago, but the last few times my wife and I have headed down for our Mama Santa fix, I noticed that the storefronts are being renovated in the old corbo's space.  There is construction paper up, and building permits in the windows.  No idea what is going on, but it's great to finally seeing this space get spruced up.

Well... I meant to post this a while ago, but the last few times my wife and I have headed down for our Mama Santa fix, I noticed that the storefronts are being renovated in the old corbo's space.  There is construction paper up, and building permits in the windows.  No idea what is going on, but it's great to finally seeing this space get spruced up.

I was over there today and I noticed that Patrizia's just across the street has been emptied out. And the space is for rent. I wonder if that store is moving across the street to the Corbo's place. I hope that it's not leaving the Mayfield & Murray Hill intersection totally...it had great character with the Italian music playing and the Italia Soccer club shirts hanging over the sidewalk... although I think there is another(?) Patrizia's at Random Rd. & Mayfield, or at least it's something very similar.

Here is Patrizia's  (or was):

LI.jpg

This is very interesting and encouraging.  Shows that a quality product in a great location can work even in these dark days for real estate.  So c'mon UARD, what's taking you so long?!

Luxury townhouses in Cleveland's Little Italy are selling, but court fight looms

By Michelle Jarboe, The Plain Dealer

February 08, 2010, 2:50PM

A luxury townhouse development in Little Italy appears to be thriving, despite the rough real estate market and an escalating dispute with neighboring property owners.

Developers of the 27 Coltman project, townhouses on the rim of Cleveland's University Circle, say they have sold 23 of the 27 homes since early 2009.

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2010/02/luxury_townhouses_in_cleveland.html

^I wouldn't say that's true throughout downtown.  I think it's more an issue of the location.  There just isn't much there to draw people to the area.  Projects in the WHD seem to enjoy quite a bit of success (Pinnacle, Cloak Factory, etc...) and apartments/condos on E4th and up and down Euclid seem to sell very well too.

^ We see eye to eye again :).  That is why I said "core".... I consider the Ave District to be more on the fringe (que the onslaught of responses) and, for high priced condos, very poorly placed.

More relevant to the current topic, does anyone know whether Circle 118 is experiencing similar success.  Just judging from the exterior design and location, I personally like Coltman much, much better.

when referring to the avenue district... let's not forget that banks are making it almost impossible for buyers to get a loan in a condo building these days.  they are much more lenient towards townhomes, clusterhomes, etc.  Most of the "success stories" of downtown condos were projects that were sold before the financial collapse.  and before said collapse, the avenue district sold very well...

And now back to our little italy success :)

I was under the impression (practicing lawyers, please correct me) that an easement carries with the deed, unless a specific time period is listed and/or both current landowners agree to let it expire (with consideration). What are Geis, et al contending, then? Some version of adverse possession?

I go back to the old adage, 'vested in fee, and a man ye be...." Y'arr. Tis true. (that last thing has no meaning whatsoever. But how many times do you get the chance to rhyme about property law?)

I agree that the Avenue district loft building is on "the fringe" and very poorly located for its target market, which is why they're having trouble moving units for the prices they're seeking.

And yes, of course people here like townhouse/rowhouse arrangements.  This is a major city.  Instead of comparing their popularity to that of large condo buildings... I'd compare to that of detached single-family homes.  The larger buildings are more appropriate for rentals rather than condos, while detached homes are more appropriate outiside city limits.  We need a lot more townhouses and rowhouses in Cleveland.  It should surprise no one that they're generally well-received.

Let's keep this thread to actual discussion of Little Italy's development projects.  If someone wants to start a thread on general consumer preference or finance by housing type, that's great, but not here.

according to the article, if Geis offered to sell the easement a year or so ago, that means he must recognize it as still valid an not defunct cause of lack of use.