Cleveland: Little Italy: Development and News

On 2/14/2020 at 12:34 AM, tykaps said:

Possibly something (?):

2100 Random Rd Building alteration permit filed today. Contact listed as Mark Fremont Architects. Maybe that old plan for the "Random Road Business Center" is finally going to happen.

Any update on this?

• 1 month later...

Does everyone know about these two brand new houses at the end of East 124th Place?  Therw's a "for sale" sign by Mayfield, But once they're sold and the signs ar removed I think they'll become somewhat of a Little Italy secret. 

E15F66D9-744C-4ABF-A1FF-A4C8A65A88A0.jpeg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, lafont said:

Does everyone know about these two brand new houses at the end of East 124th Place?  Therw's a "for sale" sign by Mayfield, But once they're sold and the signs ar removed I think they'll become somewhat of a Little Italy secret. 

E15F66D9-744C-4ABF-A1FF-A4C8A65A88A0.jpeg

I had seen them last fall.  Wandered back there to have a look around, and ended up talking to the developer/owner.  

• 4 weeks later...

Mayfield Lofts is getting pretty close to being finished. Random Road Lofts has seven condos still available, IIRC from the sign by the front door. 

20200502_165054_resized.jpg

20200502_192119_resized.jpg

20200502_183500_resized.jpg

20200502_164046_resized.jpg

Edited by KJP
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

• 2 weeks later...

• Like 9
  • Love 1

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

I first started coming to Cle for an ex who lived in LI about 4-5 years ago. Crazy how much has been built in this area in just that short amount of time. I swear every time my family comes to visit there's new builds everywhere around the city and it's probably hard for them to put a finger on what areas they've seen and have been to. I guess I'll have to reintroduce Little Italy to them next visit lol

• Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 12:27 PM, GISguy said:

I first started coming to Cle for an ex who lived in LI about 4-5 years ago. Crazy how much has been built in this area in just that short amount of time. I swear every time my family comes to visit there's new builds everywhere around the city and it's probably hard for them to put a finger on what areas they've seen and have been to. I guess I'll have to reintroduce Little Italy to them next visit lol

I'm amazed at Little Italy's growth as well. Truly surprised every time I go back to Cleveland how much has changed in such a short period of time.  Uptown was only in its infancy when I was a freshman at CSU about 10 years ago - surface parking lots to be exact.  Very exciting times in Cleveland!

• Like 1

WOW.  I pay pretty close to that for more than double the space downtown.  Demand must be good- if I didn't live downtown I would definitely like living in that area.  Nice to see a development that can truly be called TOD, and embrace the RTA station in their branding and descriptions. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, mrclifton88 said:

WOW.  I pay pretty close to that for more than double the space downtown.  Demand must be good- if I didn't live downtown I would definitely like living in that area.  Nice to see a development that can truly be called TOD, and embrace the RTA station in their branding and descriptions. 

Imagine how much more substantial this project could have been if the owner of that stupid parking lot next to it had been willing to sell or partner. Oh well, still a great project. 

I like the photos of the project on the Mayfield Station website, but I can't stand the generic "young, hip people" pictures every development company puts on their websites, lol.  Especially since the pictures were obviously not taken in Cleveland and have nothing to do with the project.

• Like 1

Honestly, what do you expect?  Should their marketing images say, "Pay top dollar for a 400 sq ft studio and be surrounded by a bunch of schlubs!"  Every business advertises using people called "models" who get paid to look better than you or me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, X said:

Honestly, what do you expect?  Should their marketing images say, "Pay top dollar for a 400 sq ft studio and be surrounded by a bunch of schlubs!"  Every business advertises using people called "models" who get paid to look better than you or me.

Thanks for explaining what models are.  Clearly, I understand they are doing it to be aspirational.  My pet peeve, which I thought I made pretty clear, was that I don't like the generic stock photos which look the same from development website to development website.  It's lazy.  Also, I'd rather see shots of the building than a bunch of shots of people that will never be my neighbors, no matter how attractive they may be.

It's a great building and glad to see the density.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jeremyck01 said:

Thanks for explaining what models are.  Clearly, I understand they are doing it to be aspirational.  My pet peeve, which I thought I made pretty clear, was that I don't like the generic stock photos which look the same from development website to development website.  It's lazy.  Also, I'd rather see shots of the building that a bunch of shots of people that will never be my neighbors, no matter how attractive they may be.

It's a great building and glad to see the density.

In my experience many developers are very good with numbers but not as good with sophisticated marketing. I bet your pet peeve is picking up on that.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, LlamaLawyer said:

In my experience many developers are very good with numbers but not as good with sophisticated marketing. I bet your pet peeve is picking up on that.

Exactly.  A good example to emulate would be The Beacon website--very well done.  That being said, the most important thing is that buildings are getting built in Little Italy regardless of the marketing acumen.  I'm looking forward to eventual for-sale builds rather than rentals.

20 minutes ago, LlamaLawyer said:

Haha. So you're saying Cleveland developers aren't "Sheik" enough (Zaremba Avenue Dist), or don't bring enough of that "South Beach flair" (Optima/Oligarch Ventures) ?

Anyhow those rents would appear to bode well for even more infill. Good stuff!

Edited by surfohio
  • Like 2

^At least we get World Class Signage.

According to the website, these are furnished units, no? I wonder if that's what gets the big rents. Turn key living quarters for ~1 year UC workers and grad students/post docs, etc.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, jeremyck01 said:

Exactly.  A good example to emulate would be The Beacon website--very well done. 

Playhouse Square is a creative organization.   I would expect a creative website, and they have not disappointed.   Other developers?  As we have seen in their designs...they are often not so creative.  ?

39 minutes ago, Cleburger said:

Playhouse Square is a creative organization.   I would expect a creative website, and they have not disappointed.   Other developers?  As we have seen in their designs...they are often not so creative.  ?

Beacon is from Stark who, by the way, appears a little better prepared on the marketing front and a little more poorly prepared on the numbers front than the typical developer I mentioned above. ?

Anyhow, that's all I will say before this gets too derailed.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Baricelli+Inn-6.jpg

THURSDAY, JUNE 4, 2020

Work began today for Baricelli Inn Apartments in Little Italy

Demolition work got underway earlier today to clear the way for the 44-unit Baricelli Inn Apartments in Cleveland's Little Italy neighborhood. The project has traveled a long road to get to this point but is finally moving forward.

A pair of three-story rental homes at 2189 and 2193 Cornell Road were being razed, work that should take only a matter of hours. It will make way for site preparation to begin for the luxury apartments being developed by M. Panzica Development owned by Michael Panzica and City Six Development owned by Brad Nosan.

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2020/06/work-began-today-for-baricelli-inn.html

• Like 13

Why am I not surprised that KJP got this new up before I wandered down the block to snap a picture.  Saw some heavy equipment roll in last night. Work commenced with  removal of portions of the Washington Place Inn parking lot -- starting in the back corner.

IMG_8685.jpeg.f11f5863381842c0497801256ca2852c.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Is it know if the renovation of those three buildings on Murrary Hill Road is still part of the project, and, if yes if they will be worked on at the same time as the construction of the apartment building or will be left as part of a Phase 2?  It is my feeling that a great renovation of those buildings is as important as the new construction and might lead to quality renos of many of the other sh*tholes in LI.

13 minutes ago, Htsguy said:

Is it know if the renovation of those three buildings on Murrary Hill Road is still part of the project, and, if yes if they will be worked on at the same time as the construction of the apartment building or will be left as part of a Phase 2?  It is my feeling that a great renovation of those buildings is as important as the new construction and might lead to quality renos of many of the other sh*tholes in LI.

On June 2nd, certificates of disclosures were posted online for the three buildings with Panzica as the listed buyer. So definitely still part of the project, and last I remember, they were supposed to be all part of the same phase.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What a long and bloody road up to this point. I'm glad to see the developers stuck with it though instead of saying F this. I almost just said its a great looking design that will fit in nicely with the neighborhood, but that's not true. Its a great looking design that will look almost out of place with many current neighborhood properties. Hopefully this construction, along with the reno of the three neighboring houses as part of the project, will be push the neighborhood along and push the cheap vinyl out to Chesterland.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Significant renovations proposed to a house into multi-family apartments. Value of the renovations to 2117 Murray Hill Rd are estimated at at least $400,000. Sounds like Panzica's Baricelli Inn development is already having a positive impact.

Edited by KJP
  • Like 2

Is Mayfield Station (apartments) open yet?  I thought it was almost done---but now I'm seeing on their website that they were leasing for Summer 2019...

"Welcome to Mayfield Station Apartments in Cleveland, Ohio! Located at the intersection of Little Italy and University Circle, Mayfield Station is now leasing for Summer 2019 occupancy!"   https://www.mayfieldstation.com/

Based on what I saw a couple of weeks ago, I'd say that they'll be ready in time for the Fall Semester, if there is one.

• Thanks 1

I believe leasing already started at the beginning of the month. A couple units based on their balconies look lived in already. A lot of students just won't be showing up till needed for classes.

And yes, there will be a fall semester on campus; however, it's shortened. It ends Thanksgiving week and then finals will be done online.

• Like 1

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

The Case dorm project at Murray Hill and Adelbert has been shelved indefinitely. To the point that Donley’s had, and lost the contract. Covid fatality. 

And there’s talk that Case may not, or will not have students on campus this fall. 

Edited by marty15
  • Sad 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, marty15 said:

And there’s talk that Case may not, or will not have students on campus this fall. 

They just sent out an email today that they will have students on campus, but there will be restrictions. It will also be optional, so students can do online classes if they choose or our unable to attend.

• Like 1

CWRU+South+Village+expansion+plan.jpg

THURSDAY, JULY 9, 2020

Pandemic quarantines CWRU development

Construction of several residence halls at Case Western Reserve University has been put on hold indefinitely, another victim of the COVID-19 pandemic and the fiscal uncertainties that surround it. Construction on the first phase of the $72+ million multi-phased project was due to start in early 2021.

Christopher Panichi, CWRU's director of planning, design and construction confirmed today that the expansion of the South Residential Village at Murray Hill and Adelbert roads has been halted.

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2020/07/pandemic-quarantines-cwru-development.html

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...