Lorain County: Development and News

Guest grasscat

That's a significant scale-down.

I like the new plan. I loved the old plan.

• Like 1

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

5 hours ago, mrnyc said:

i wonder why they tearing down the good smokestack?

It's strange because microwave dishes were recently added to that stack in the last couple years. Two of them point towards downtown Cleveland and the other two point somewhere towards Sandusky.

Although I've noticed multiple white lines running up and down the outer surface of the stack in the past couple years. Makes me wonder if those were cracks that were sealed. They are way too "random" to be there by design and some of them branch off in different directions.

• Like 1

Looks like they also gave up the idea of rerouting US 6 along a new road, and building a second bridge over Powdermaker Creek.  Was wondering how much bureaucracy it would entail to shift Lake Road north as in the original plans, being that it's a federal route... 

I'm kind of glad that idea for Lake Road is being shelved. The last thing a lakefront plan needs is a busy state route being moved closer to the lakefront.

Rerouting Lake Road to the south could be better though. Especially considering that the land south of it is where the coal confinement was. I think they also shelved the plans for building townhomes there; the ground could be contaminated. Might as well move the road there.

I was kind of hoping that the strip with the former Avon Theater would be incorporated into the plan. The theater, I believe, used to be a passenger station for the Lake Shore Electric railway. The power plant originally started out as a generator for the LSE, so it would be cool to merge that historical area into the development since they're related.

Edited by RoabeArt
A word.

12 minutes ago, RoabeArt said:

I'm kind of glad that idea for Lake Road is being shelved. The last thing a lakefront plan needs is a busy state route being moved closer to the lakefront.

Rerouting Lake Road to the south could be better though. Especially considering that the land south of Lake Road is where the coal confinement was. I think they also shelved the plans for building townhomes there; the ground could be contaminated. Might as well move the road there.

I was kind of hoping that the strip with the former Avon Theater would be incorporated into the plan. The theater, I believe, used to be a passenger station for the Lake Shore Electric railway. The power plant originally started out as a generator for the LSE, so it would be cool to merge that historical area into the development since they're related.

You're right about the former building the Avon Lake Theater (aka Beach Park Station) used to be in- it was a stop, offices, and a service barn for the LSE.  But the power house that stands was actually not the power station for the LSE (Beach Park power house).  The LSE's power house burned in 1925, the same year that CEI's new power house started construction. 

https://lakeshorerailmaps.com/avonlake_page_two.html

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A relative and I were discussing possible uses for the power plant land, coal yard and railroad spur leading to it, and it evolved into an idea for a "rail trail" connecting the lakefront to the Lake Erie Crushers stadium and the French Creek Reservation. and I thought I'd visualize it.

I doubt this has a snowballs' chance of happening since it meanders through multiple cities, goes through private land and crosses active rail lines and sidings (including the rarely used South Lorain Branch that's not shown in the base map), but hey, a guy can dream right?

rail2.jpg

• Like 8
  • Love 1

• 5 months later...

i see downtown lorain is getting an assisted living apt building for 62 people who would otherwise be living on the streets.

some neighbors have concerns, and understandably, but these are common everywhere and they do work to reduce homelessness as long as other mh and job training services are connected to them.

its going to be at broadway and 21st and at least its something of substance to help rebuild that stretch --

Lorain Planning Commission approves apartments for people experiencing homelessness

Project has drawn mixed reaction from neighbors, businesses

By: Catherine Ross

Posted at 1:03 AM, Jun 08, 2023

more:

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/we-follow-through/lorain-planning-commission-approves-apartments-for-people-experiencing-homelessness

looks like more soul killing ohio brown unfortunately, but its ok and hey its a good thing and its better than a gutted empty lot --  👍

spacer.png

Photo by: Image provided by CHN Housing Partners -- Rendering of the proposed Broadway Commons building in Lorain

no surprize, but no new shippy yard for lorain --- 🤷‍♂️

No dry dock in revised plan for Lorain maritime facility

Carissa Woytach
The Chronicle-Telegram

Aug 11, 2023 6:00 AM

LORAIN — An updated plan to service Navy submarines would no longer see a dry dock built in the International City.

Bartlett Maritime Corp. released an update to a plan it originally pitched to the Navy in early 2022. While the original plan would have seen a naval submarine dry dock built in Lorain — bringing an estimated 3,000 jobs with it — the update would instead see construction of a ship component overhaul, repair, remanufacturing and testing facility to be built on a brownfield. The component repair center, or CRC, would bring 500 to 1,000 jobs, Bartlett Maritime CEO and retired Navy Capt. Ed Bartlett said via email Thursday evening.

When Bartlett Maritime submitted its original proposal, it received feedback the Navy wasn’t comfortable bringing a submarine up to the Great Lakes, Bartlett wrote, in part because the St. Lawrence Seaway is not deep enough for modern vessels and would require additional measures to bring them to Lake Erie. Additionally, submarines cannot do submerged sea trials in the freshwater of the Great Lakes, as it requires different ballasting.

“Based upon this Navy feedback, we changed our plan in mid-2022, focusing on selecting another shipyard location, but have not publicly announced this change until now,” Bartlett wrote.

The CRC in Lorain would be joined by another in Lordstown for constructing ship components and material stocking and a foundry in an unspecified location.

The updated proposal includes the option for a fifth naval shipyard in Charleston, South Carolina. The new shipyard would be at the Naval Weapons Station in Goose Creek and could begin construction as early as 2024.

more:

https://chroniclet.com/news/361710/no-dry-dock-in-revised-plan-for-lorain-maritime-facility/

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2023 at 1:40 PM, ink said:

I did not realize Lorain was known as the "International City." 

Growing up in Lorain, I remember playing in the International Soccer Tournament each summer and also attending the International Festival.  Always enjoyed the parade and the variety of foods there at the festival!!

s-l1200.thumb.jpg.9b6f09a6720418b4d52dec96416b8168.jpg

Capture2.JPG.2de47eb5e3741807dc6724deb4e6d0dd.JPG

• 2 months later...

I'm sure this is going to go over real well on URBANohio. Oh, by the way, BOOM! 💣

Scranton-Peninsula-102323-KJPs.jpg

Great Lakes Brewing move to Avon on tap?
By Ken Prendergast / December 23, 2023

A Cleveland icon may not be in Cleveland much longer. Executives and owners of Great Lakes Brewing Company (GLBC) are debating a significant relocation of most of its operations out to west-suburban Avon in Lorain County. The 200-employee company has been headquartered and its beer products brewed in Cleveland's Ohio City neighborhood since its founding 35 years ago. But Avon's mayor said an announcement may be made about the potential new site "in the coming months."

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blog/2023/12/23/great-lakes-brewing-move-to-avon-on-tap/

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3
  • Dislike 2

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

How about somewhere along the post-apocalyptic Train Ave. , particularly in the industrial wreckage between Train and Vega.  There, you have I-90 and rail lines.  Then, there is land north of Steelyard Commons, below the W14th roundabout, which is near I71 and SR-176.  I was never crazy about having this on Carter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Growth Mindset said:

Isn’t there another location in the city of Cleveland which would suffice? It would be a black eye to the city to lose not only those jobs but the iconic institution that GLBC is. 

Hopefully the Bibb administration will be working the phones and not sleeping through this news as Frank Jackson would have.    There should be an active pursuit of keeping them inside the city limits.   There is plenty of land.  

• Like 1

They probably want to sell the Scranton Peninsula land to a developer.  It's pretty expensive land for what is, truly, an industrial use (albeit with an auxillary tasting room as a small part of the property).  The City should be trying to get them to locate the brewery portion and offices somewhere along the Opportunity Corridor, and keep their tasting room where it is.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, X said:

They probably want to sell the Scranton Peninsula land to a developer.  It's pretty expensive land for what is, truly, an industrial use (albeit with an auxillary tasting room as a small part of the property).  The City should be trying to get them to locate the brewery portion and offices somewhere along the Opportunity Corridor, and keep their tasting room where it is.

Agree about OC being an appropriate choice; but, since they picked Avon, taxes have to be a big part of their motivation.

Es war ein heisser Nacht in Apalachicola als die asbest Vorhang gefällt.

Article updated with more info!

On 12/23/2023 at 1:51 AM, KJP said:

I'm sure this is going to go over real well on URBANohio. Oh, by the way, BOOM! 💣

Scranton-Peninsula-102323-KJPs.jpg

Great Lakes Brewing move to Avon on tap?
By Ken Prendergast / December 23, 2023

A Cleveland icon may not be in Cleveland much longer. Executives and owners of Great Lakes Brewing Company (GLBC) are debating a significant relocation of most of its operations out to west-suburban Avon in Lorain County. The 200-employee company has been headquartered and its beer products brewed in Cleveland's Ohio City neighborhood since its founding 35 years ago. But Avon's mayor said an announcement may be made about the potential new site "in the coming months."

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blog/2023/12/23/great-lakes-brewing-move-to-avon-on-tap/

I rather see residential development on the Scranton site, so I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing (assuming the original brewpub stays, which I can't imagine that leaving). However, the Cleveland mayor's office should be reaching out and trying to find them a spot to keep the production facility somewhere within city limits.

• Like 4

On 12/23/2023 at 11:25 AM, X said:

OC location would jive well with a bunch of other food stuff that’s around there already.

• Like 1

Close....

GLBC-properties-Market-Square-Aug-2021s.

Great Lakes Brewing confirms relocation options
By Ken Prendergast / December 28, 2023

In a statement issued today by Great Lakes Brewing Company (GLBC), their chief executive officer confirmed NEOtrans’ report from last week that it is considering relocating its production facilities from Cleveland’s Ohio City neighborhood and packaging facility in Strongsville to a site in Avon. The press statement also confirmed it hasn’t ruled out continuing with its plans to relocate them to Scranton Peninsula in Cleveland’s Flats. And it will retain its Ohio City brewpub and gift shop. More than 200 jobs are involved among all of GLBC’s facilities.

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blog/2023/12/28/great-lakes-brewing-confirms-relocation-options/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, LlamaLawyer said:

GLB should go right here. Looks like it’s all city-owned land. About 11 acres. Right next to a huge cold-storage facility. Somebody with connections in the city wanna push for this?

IMG_3396.jpeg

I had the same thought on wondering if the Opportunity Corridor had any viable spots.

Opportunity corridor would make the most sense, and be a hot destination for U Circle happy hours and dinners.  

If not there, I'd love to see them on the bluffs overlooking the lake, somewhere between E 30th and E 65th in the old Lakeside industrial area.  Would make for a great rooftop beer garden location destination. 

• Like 4

Like others here l hate to see them be forced to move to Avon. I get that because of their success (super) they need a lot more space but this DOES seem like a perfect opportunity to kill two birds with one stone i.e. expand somewhere along the opportunity corridor. 

When l use that road it does seem there is still an awful lot of vacant land just waiting for development. Ohio City land is too limited. The Flats probably too. I see an opportunity here - no pun intended. I don't know if GLBC has made a call but hopefully someone on either the city or GLBC side has broached this.

• Like 1

I know they're aiming for something Fat Heads-esque but that building and experience is so sterile (and I'm not talking about the brewworks lol). I know they aren't trying to appeal to 30-something hipsters with this new potential outpost but man, it'd take some cool out of the brand to just be a stop off the interstate. Money is money though and it's worked for Fat Heads and Erie Brewing. Also re: opp cor site, idk if that'd fit the vibe they're shooting for but good point w potential for uc crowd, accessible to highway too for out of towners, kind of. 

Edited by GISguy
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, GISguy said:

I know they're aiming for something Fat Heads-esque but that building and experience is so sterile (and I'm not talking about the brewworks lol). I know they aren't trying to appeal to 30-something hipsters with this new potential outpost but man, it'd take some cool out of the brand to just be a stop off the interstate. Money is money though and it's worked for Fat Heads and Erie Brewing. Also re: opp cor site, idk if that'd fit the vibe they're shooting for but good point w potential for uc crowd, accessible to highway too for out of towners, kind of. 

An article on GLBC came out a few months back that pretty much gave the impression the company has no idea what it's doing. Are they the heritage dependable local brand or are they going to chase down and win over Gen Z with the fruitiest seltzer?  

Edited by surfohio
  • Haha 1

Following @coneflower's lead, here's my email to GLBC's customer service address ([email protected]), followed by the response I received...

To Whom It May Concern: I am writing to express my sincere disappointment with Great Lakes Brewing Company's decision to explore a relocation of production facilities and corporate offices to Avon.  You have long positioned your brand as synonymous with Cleveland, and leaving the city proper would be disingenuous at best.  Please find a place to consolidate your facilities within the Cleveland city limits - the Scranton Peninsula or Opportunity Corridor comes to mind.  Your brand's legacy and reputation are simply too important to cater to suburban sprawl.  I am a craft beer enthusiast who has enjoyed your exceptional beers for decades, but I will transfer my loyalty to other Cleveland-based breweries if you leave for Avon.  Thank you for reading.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out. You can find an update on our production expansion process and plans to continue operating our Ohio City brewpub here: https://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/glbc-confirms-commitment-ohio-city-brewpub.  

We will share your feedback with our team.

Cheers,

XXXXXXXXX 

GLBC Info
Customer Service Representative

Edited by Blimp City
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

53 minutes ago, coneflower said:

I am surprised this hasn’t generated more attention locally. Or a public response from the city? Maybe people in general see locating in Cleveland vs. suburbs as basically interchangeable.. 

I am not surprised by the lack of public response.   The news dropped around the holiday and the City of Cleveland staff are mainly checked-out.   I would hope that Justin Bibb would pop up the first week of the new year and try to get Great Lakes to have a discussion at least. 

• Like 1

It's also the week between Christmas and New Years. Almost everyone is out of the office. I was actually astonished that GLBC issued a press release two days ago in response to my first article last week. But they apparently were getting at least some reactions.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Midway Mall redevelopment proposals narrowed down to two finalists

Kim Palmer - Feb. 1, 2024 - Crain's Cleveland Business

TheGarden_2.png

"Mayfield Heights-based real estate owner and operator Industrial Commercial Properties (ICP) and the nonprofit Center for Food Innovation will continue to compete for the rights to redevelop the 1960s-era enclosed mall property that once boasted more than 140 retailers. ... (ICP's proposal) entails a more-than-$100 million plan for a complete tear-down and rebuild aimed at a potential large-scale industrial end-user, ... The other $30 million-plus proposal for a multi-tenant business park within the existing mall is more reminiscent of work ICP has undertaken at Chapel Hill, which has become a business park. ... The Center for Food Innovation submitted a 73-page proposal for "The Garden," a sprawling collection of indoor vertical farms, greenhouses, cold food storage, food research education facilities and food-related retail."

• Like 2

yeah lets see if anything actually comes of it --

hopefully its the innovative food center plan and not the generic office plan, although that would be something at least.

unfortunately you don't have to read between any lines to see the more expensive food center plan has a long uphill climb for the money:

The Center for Food Innovation proposal included plans to pursue government funding, port authority bonds, TIF financing and “a range of environmental, energy, education, and other … federal and state grants that will assist in lowering the overall cost of redevelopment."

6 hours ago, mrnyc said:

^ whoa -- now wouldn't that be something -- it's almost unbelievable! 

engage! 

Autonomous driving trucks supplying fresh deliveries to the West Side Market on the hour. One can dream big@mrnyc, right?  It's in our DNA!

Edited by DO_Summers
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

this is nice and worth celebrating — a low income apt complex for seniors got a full reno, so they will have a ribbon cutting ceremony — 👍

Ribbon-cutting planned for renovated Sacred Heart Manor in Lorain

By HEATHER CHAPIN | [email protected] | The Morning Journal

March 10, 2024

Local, state and federal officials are scheduled to join investment and development partners to celebrate the ribbon-cutting of Sacred Heart Manorin Lorain.

The event will take place March 18 for the newly renovated low-income housing facility for senior citizens at 4285 Pearl Ave.

Sacred Heart Manor consists of 50 units and has undergone a $10.6 million renovation, according to a news release.

more:

https://www.morningjournal.com/2024/03/10/ribbon-cutting-planned-for-renovated-sacred-heart-manor-in-lorain/

spacer.png

Local, state and federal officials will join investment and development partners to celebrate the ribbon-cutting March 18 at Sacred Heart Manor in Lorain. (Journal staff – The Morning Journal)

• Like 4

• 1 month later...