Guest ColDayMan

Cleveland Indians Discussion

^ No, we cannot stop blaming Millennials for everything because us Gen Xers were blamed for everything when we were younger by the boomers. The boomers were blamed for everything by the Greatest Generation (although they did have a point) You will do the same to the next generation. Get used to it, it is a right of passage.

I'm all for hazing, but I'd rather y'all just give me a wedgie, shove me in a locker, or sell me a non-existent elevator pass. Passing blame was alright in the 60's, 90's, and early 2000's because we weren't hemorrhaging cash as a country. 

Except we're blamed for the problems you made soooo, maybe own up to your own issues first instead of blaming people for things that happened when they weren't even adults?

That is not how it works. You have to take it, accept it, then pass it down to the next generation. THen they will be bitter, but there reward is that they can then shit on the generation after that. Its the circle of life.

Getting back on topic, I think the one thing that irritates those who don't have an issue is that it is just a symbol and that symbols do not make up who they are. They see a symbol for what it is, just a logo, nothing more nothing less.

It seems as if the left places extra value on symbols and feels they represent more than they actually do.

Getting back on topic, I think the one thing that irritates those who don't have an issue is that it is just a symbol and that symbols do not make up who they are. They see a symbol for what it is, just a logo, nothing more nothing less.

It seems as if the left places extra value on symbols and feels they represent more than they actually do.

If that were true, then why did folks on the right get so upset by Black athletes kneeling during the national anthem.

Answer: they felt that act of kneeling represented more than it actually did.

If that were true, then why did folks on the right get so upset by Black athletes kneeling during the national anthem.

Answer: they felt that act of kneeling represented more than it actually did.

To be more specific they feel that the flag, a symbol, has extra value than just being a symbol.

to get back on topic, how much of a retail presence does Wahoo need to have in order for the Indians to preserve the trademark? 

I believe they just have to maintain involvement "in interstate commerce" which to me is a very very low bar.

Everyone is saying that they are going to rake in a lot of money on Wahoo merch. Seems likely. Now is the time for Dolan et al to channel those revenues toward Native American charities. If the name "Indians" is truly to honor them, well, it's time to do something real about it.

to get back on topic, how much of a retail presence does Wahoo need to have in order for the Indians to preserve the trademark? 

I believe it would have to be readily available without having to jump through too many hoops. It may not need to be sold online but should probably be available in the team shop and other team affiliated shops. They don't need to disseminate them at Giant Eagle but keep it to the stadiums and hotels.

What I think you are going to see is in the first 3-4 years, you will see a few shirts and hats with the Chief on them. THen after that fad dies down in 3-4 years, and people forget about the Chief, you will see the hats and logo displayed in the team shop on retro Jerseys that are for sale. This way, they can protect the mark, the collectors can celebrate the past with their retro jerseys, but the bulk of sales will be focused on new merchandise and current stuff. The Wahoo mark will only be used on throwback merchandise and will cater to a very limited audience.

I believe it would have to be readily available without having to jump through too many hoops. It may not need to be sold online but should probably be available in the team shop and other team affiliated shops. They don't need to disseminate them at Giant Eagle but keep it to the stadiums and hotels.

It's important they're sold over state lines too. Because all of the team shops are in-state they are going to have to have some online presence. Selling only in-state jeopardizes their rights to the logo.

^ That is true, but you can always call the team shop and they will ship to you. You are probably right, there will be an online presence, but in context, I think there will be a lot less uproar from people about the Wahoo logo appearing on a vintage 1990's -2015 uniform instead of being on regular everyday apparel.

I do not envision them making go Tribe shirts with Wahoo on them anymore, only the vintage stuff

It's important they're sold over state lines too. Because all of the team shops are in-state they are going to have to have some online presence. Selling only in-state jeopardizes their rights to the logo.

It's actually not important to be sold over state lines. If the material for the shirts traveled across any state prior  to being manufactured, boom, ya got em.

With seldom exceptions, intrastate commerce no longer exists. Especially when items are available for purchase online.

It's actually not important to be sold over state lines. If the material for the shirts traveled across any state prior  to being manufactured, boom, ya got em. 

Bear with me, I'm approaching senility, but I think that shipment fact allows the Feds to regulate, but does not necessarily extend rights to an IP protection. I don't know.

Anyhow, polling at 69% you say?

A) I love the block C, to be honest

B) But, man am I said to see the Chief go. That smiling face will forever have a spot in my heart.

C) Inevitably, I think the team name will be soon to follow. I bet the Indians are no longer the Indians by 2040.

A) yep

B) yep

C) yep

so what will it be?

a throwback?

blues, lakes shores, spiders, bronchos, grays, buckeyes or naps?

The Cleveland Huletts. Brute mechanical strength yet possessing a certain finesse and grace.

And since the league forced us to change our mascot (and name) maybe they can help pay for us to assemble our new mascot from the pieces laying out on Whiskey Island.

I'm cool with anything that at least plausibly sounds like it could have been chosen at least 50 years ago. My alma mater changed from Redskins to "RedHawks" and I just can't stand that capital "H" in the middle of the word for a school that was founded in 1809. If your team has over a century of tradition, pick something old-sounding, not something that sounds like some kind of expansion team in Arizona.

The Cleveland Huletts. Brute mechanical strength yet possessing a certain finesse and grace.

And since the league forced us to change our mascot (and name) maybe they can help pay for us to assemble our new mascot from the pieces laying out on Whiskey Island.

yes, yes, a thousand times yes -- fantasic!

edBQBeJ.gif

Holy crap, already????

Pitchers and catchers' first workout: Feb. 15

First full-squad workout: Feb. 19

Couldn't come soon enough!

Cavs....such a stupid trainwreck......

^ and just like cavs are back in play bay bee lol!

but anyway trevor bauer doubled his salary in arbitration

from $3M to $6M

i think ownership offered $5M

hes only the third indian to do so

good for him, but whatever right? lol

anyway, its great thatpitchers & catchers are back now.

screw that gopher, its always a hopeful sign of spring being on the way.

http://es.pn/2CnAM5Q

rajai davis is back with the tribe on a minor league contract.

he is 38 and his ba dipped last year, but his steals are still solid as is his d.

also, vegas has tribe at 15/2 and third to win it all behind houston and the dodgers.

thats all for now, but can you believe it the first spring game with the reds is in a few days!

This morning when it was 65 degrees in Cleveland, it was only 39 degrees in Goodyear, AZ. I know that won't last, but I enjoyed it while it did.

"Corporations are not people, and money is not speech." -- Move To Amend (aka, Americans' only hope of getting their country back. Every else traces back to the need for campaign finance reform.)

Baseball is tomorrow. Hold me....

DWpWB_MW0AoqNTh.jpg

"Corporations are not people, and money is not speech." -- Move To Amend (aka, Americans' only hope of getting their country back. Every else traces back to the need for campaign finance reform.)

"With a 79 percent chance of winning the Central, Cleveland is our model’s strongest division favorite for 2018."

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/your-guide-to-the-2018-american-league/?ex_cid=538twitter

encarnacion’s inside the park hr was the comedy highlight of the season so far. they were toweling him off after he motored around lol.

That was disgusting and makes me really sad and embarrassed to be from and live in this region. A bunch of pigs.  People, particularly sports fan want cleveland to be respected and stop being picked on.  Maybe stop acting like this.  Pretty befuddling that these were grown ass adults. Can’t imagine they are gainfully doing great things with their lives

That was disgusting and makes me really sad and embarrassed to be from and live in this region. A bunch of pigs.  People, particularly sports fan want cleveland to be respected and stop being picked on.  Maybe stop acting like this.  Pretty befuddling that these were grown ass adults. Can’t imagine they are gainfully doing great things with their lives

That's the reaction they wanted.  They sought it out.  When you show up in the opposing camp with bullhorns and slogans, you're going to get pushback.

except the opposing camp is in wrong, thats why they are stooping lower and cursing at them.

the whole thing is moot anyway because wahoo is going away.

I don't get the big deal about them changing the logo.  Teams and businesses change their logos all the time.  It's just a cartoon people.  Life will go on without Wahoo.