Guest ColDayMan

Cleveland Browns Discussion

Bill B. was the whipping boy for early 90s Browns fans in the way he handled a declining Kosar. I think most Browns fans have moved on from that era (a fair amount weren't alive back then) but something tells me old Bill B. never will.

If you want to be really depressed after witnessing 0-16 watch Cleveland '95: A Football Life on the NFL Network. It will make you sick on how many talented people were in the Browns organization when Bill was there.

Bill B. was the whipping boy for early 90s Browns fans in the way he handled a declining Kosar. I think most Browns fans have moved on from that era (a fair amount weren't alive back then) but something tells me old Bill B. never will.

Bill opted to play some dude named Todd Philcox instead of Kosar. Bill had the audacity to say that Philcox gave the Browns a better chance to win. The fans were right to be pissed off because that was a stupid thing to say.

Anyhow Bill and Bernie are on pretty good terms now. I don't imagine Bill would have any ill-will toward Cleveland fans. He knows he's made mistakes in Cleveland and he's publicly admitted that.

**fun fact, my college roommate got into a shoving match with Todd Philcox in the Flats. Todd took offense to the brand new Cowboys "Kosar" jersey he was wearing. Later on that night, Philcox apologized and it was all was good.

Bill opted to play some dude named Todd Philcox instead of Kosar. Bill had the audacity to say that Philcox gave the Browns a better chance to win. The fans were right to be pissed off because that was a stupid thing to say.

Anyhow Bill and Bernie are on pretty good terms now. I don't imagine Bill would have any ill-will toward Cleveland fans. He knows he's made mistakes in Cleveland and he's publicly admitted that.

**fun fact, my college roommate got into a shoving match with Todd Philcox in the Flats. Todd took offense to the brand new Cowboys "Kosar" jersey he was wearing. Later on that night, Philcox apologized and it was all was good.

He did that because Kosar was making plays in the dirt to tee off Bill B. and throw bombs to Michael Jackson (not the gloved one). Man, I miss those days. Bill B. made Vinny Inteceptaverde work maybe he could do his magic on Kiser?  ;D

He did that because Kosar was making plays in the dirt to tee off Bill B. and throw bombs to Michael Jackson (not the gloved one). Man, I miss those days. Bill B. made Vinny Inteceptaverde work, maybe he could do his magic on Kiser?  ;D

Ha! As I remember it, those defiant plays by Bernie were the only ones that worked!

Seriously. Bill Belichick's offense was antiquated NY Giants-esque garbage back then.

Rumors started to break last night that Belichick is feuding with Brady and Kraft and has already told them he's stepping down after the season.

If he's mad enough and in an "I'll show you...." mood.......

Nobody's that angry...

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Perhaps as a former college athlete I just think this will A) be a bigger shot at the players than it will ownership - and our team played hard this year. Undisciplined, but hard; and B) will be like shooting a beebee gun at a Panzer Tank in terms of affecting ownership decisions.

I played on an 0-10 team one year in college, and when alumni came around, it was us, not the school that were humiliated. Literally the only reason we turned it around were because of the people in the locker room, NOT because some wealthy alumni snubbed me at a function and that motivated me. Most of these players do not deserve this ridicule, and the owners won't care until it hits them in the pocket book. In all seriousness, if we want change, we'd be better served pressuring First Energy, Elk and Elk, KPMG, et al to cease contributing to the ad space around the stadium.

Missed this earlier.  I coudn't agree more.  I posted something similar about a day before Ogbah and Shelton spoke out.  Of course some of the parade enthusiasts turned on them, saying they weren't "real Browns".  I kind of wish Joe Thomas had been the one saying it.  Not one player has said differently.

My HS teams were 3-17 and even though I rarely played (I may have been the worst player ever to letter for Maple) it still sucks and I can't see how anyone who ever played an organized sport at a level high enough to have fans doesn't get it.

I prefer this response:

Players, why interject yourself in to a "fight" between customers & ownership? You have ZERO ownership equity, thus you are an interchangeable commodity. Fans, can't draft new ones. Browns fans are using their voice, but they aren't talking to YOU.

Rumors started to break last night that Belichick is feuding with Brady and Kraft and has already told them he's stepping down after the season.

If he's mad enough and in an "I'll show you...." mood.......

Nobody's that angry...

Ego can do some wild things.  Jeff Rotsky got fired at Chanel in 2001 for recruiting too many "non Catholics" (do the math) but also for not favoring alumni kids, despite his 36-15 record.  He basically said "FU I am going to take on the worst public school program in this area and show you."  Maple was 0-20 the two years before him, 45-11 for him with a 10-0 season and a couple 9-1s. 

His teams don't usually go far in the playoffs and he does play favorites, but that's what he did.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2018/01/how_cleveland_browns_were_froz.html

Truth is: The Browns (and everyone else but San Francisco) never had a chance to discuss a Garoppolo deal.

I know that (Sashi) Brown was willing to part with Houston's first-round pick and other goodies. He would have been willing to help Belichick shop around for a backup quarterback to help the trade work.

Very Stable Genius

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2018/01/how_cleveland_browns_were_froz.html

Truth is: The Browns (and everyone else but San Francisco) never had a chance to discuss a Garoppolo deal.

I know that (Sashi) Brown was willing to part with Houston's first-round pick and other goodies. He would have been willing to help Belichick shop around for a backup quarterback to help the trade work.

I like Terry but he doesn't know the truth about why NE didn't care for the Browns offer.

Sashi and Co. didn't help themselves when they tried to shop Osweiler around and then acted like they could fool the rest of the NFL and get another team to pick up that terrible contract. I'd pass on the Browns too if they came looking for Garoppolo.

^ I haven't listened to the tapes but do they implicate Haslam at all?

So far? Just more evidence that Haslam makes extremely poor choices in hiring subordinates.

Frankly, the team should have been put under receivership once this rebate shit became public. Why don't those morals requirements, which are unenforced anyway; see Big Ben, Vick, Coleman, for players apply to owners as well?

Minkah Fitzpatrick No Matter What

Basic math.  If they really want a QB, there's three "worthy" and they pick again 4th.

I wouldn't be averse to Barkley.  Best case scenario Minkah and Sasquon.

Except there's a number of outstanding RBs in this draft. Yes, Barkley looks otherworldly. But one of my favorites is getting overlooked -- Rashaad Penny out of San Diego State. He is listed at 4.6 in the 40, but his game speed is better. Watch videos of him outrunning DBs. Could be Dorsey's Kareen Hunt in Cleveland.

"Dear Season Ticket Member,

It's a great time to be a part of the Cleveland Browns organization. We are extremely excited about the future of our team, especially

with what we are relentlessly striving to create for you, our fans, on the field..."

And here I thought Trump saying he'd rush into the line of fire was the most delusional thing I've heard all YEAR. Congrats Dorsey's ghostwriter, you've outdone yourself.

"Dear Season Ticket Member,

It's a great time to be a part of the Cleveland Browns organization. We are extremely excited about the future of our team, especially

with what we are relentlessly striving to create for you, our fans, on the field..."

And here I thought Trump saying he'd rush into the line of fire was the most delusional thing I've heard all YEAR. Congrats Dorsey's ghostwriter, you've outdone yourself.

Cut the people in the operations department some slack. Few things frustrate me more than people berating non-football material.

I know the product on the field sucks, it does. But what do you want the people in sales and corporate relationships to say? "We suck, don't show up, I don't want this job anyways."

That would be a fun contest: write a letter to season ticket holders asking them to renew.

I'd offer free or heavily discounted tickets to existing season ticket holders, and the entire tone would be exceptionally humble and apologetic.

TYROD TAYLOR!!!  I love it, if it is a veteran presence in the QB room and will be the bridge to the rookie QB we draft at #1 overall.

And now CB Damarious Randall!

And now Kizer is going to Green Bay. Incredible.

A stunning evening for the Cleveland Browns! They add a playoff-caliber QB, an elite receiver and a superb cornerback/safety (the defense's weakest position). The Browns have suddenly become a legitimate football team and there's more. Consider that the Browns still have:

+ 10 draft picks next month, including five in the top two rounds.

+ More than $100 million in cap space, still the most in the NFL.

+ And they enter free-agency next week as a more credible competitor for talent.

Well done Dorsey and Co. Well done.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000920459/article/cleveland-browns-to-trade-for-bills-qb-tyrod-taylor

And Browns beat reporters are saying the Browns aren't done wheeling and dealing. Some say a trade for a "recognizable" player is in the works as well as trading the #4 overall pick for "the farm." I'm guessing the latter involves Buffalo and it's two first-round picks and probably more. Stay tuned!

And Browns beat reporters are saying the Browns aren't done wheeling and dealing. Some say a trade for a "recognizable" player is in the works as well as trading the #4 overall pick for "the farm." I'm guessing the latter involves Buffalo and it's two first-round picks and probably more. Stay tuned!

Was the "recognizable player" perhaps Danny Shelton? If so, that trade was eh.

No, it was supposedly Earl Thomas and/or possibly another player.  If the Browns can pick up another veteran safety, then Randall will play CB. If the Browns can pick up a CB then Randall will play free safety. And the scuttlebutt is the Browns want another, more experienced QB as well as their favored QB at #1 overall in the draft.  They are expected to be active in free agency this week.

Two notable tidbits on this first day of free agency....

Lane Atkins says Joe Thomas isn't retiring

https://twitter.com/TheRealLA__/status/973229210234966016

and

Todd Gurley says Saquon Barkley will be the No. 1 pick of 2018 NFL Draft

http://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/todd-gurley-says-saquon-barkley-will-be-the-no-1-pick-of-2018-nfl-draft/95-527807720

Two notable tidbits on this first day of free agency....

Lane Atkins says Joe Thomas isn't retiring

https://twitter.com/TheRealLA__/status/973229210234966016

and

Todd Gurley says Saquon Barkley will be the No. 1 pick of 2018 NFL Draft

http://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/todd-gurley-says-saquon-barkley-will-be-the-no-1-pick-of-2018-nfl-draft/95-527807720

Lane's the most credible source there is vis a vis the Browns.  Hope Gurley's equally accurate this time.

No way does Dorsey choose a RB with the top pick.

I don't think he will have to. My guess is that Buffalo will trade up into Indianapolis' 3rd overall position. That means that the first 3 team's drafting will all take quarterbacks. If so, that also means that Saquon will be there at #4 overall.

Sad to hear of Joe Thomas' retirement. I hope that by the time Thomas gives his speech at Canton, the Browns will have playoff wins and maybe even a championship as a backdrop to his induction. I have no doubts that the Browns will have a different aura about them in five years, and the Thomas Decade will unfortunately be remembered as the Dark Ages. But Thomas was the lone, consistent shining light in that decade....

Sad to hear of Joe Thomas' retirement. I hope that by the time Thomas gives his speech at Canton, the Browns will have playoff wins and maybe even a championship as a backdrop to his induction. I have no doubts that the Browns will have a different aura about them in five years, and the Thomas Decade will unfortunately be remembered as the Dark Ages. But Thomas was the lone, consistent shining light in that decade....

Any mention of Joe coaching the O-line?  It would be great to keep him in town to help build the new Browns.

Newly acquired Wide Receiver Jarvis Landry is making a media push to recruit Odell Beckham Jr. to the browns.

7 other teams are pushing for his trade, but maybe an old friend and a former LSU coach is enough to pull him in.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2766666-jarvis-landry-recruits-odell-beckham-jr-to-browns-amid-giants-trade-rumors

HOWEVER! Amidst this trade there is a concern of a tampering violation.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/did_browns_gm_violate_nfl_tampering_rules_with_odell_beckham_jr/s1_12680_26039225

Could we get OBJ? We definitely have the financial game for him, but only if the numbers are right, and to whomst goes to the Giants?