Sign in to follow this  
CincyImages

Cincinnati Bengals Discussion

I just noticed that no one has posted anything about the Bengals since March. A mixture of mediocre results, Marvin Lewis/dalton fatigue and feeling like the NFL rehabilitation team has lead to a lot of apathy in the fan base. No draft posts, no practice or training camp, no 1st preseason game wrap up. I myself haven't been paying attention much this year and apparently I'm not the only one.

I just noticed that no one has posted anything about the Bengals since March. A mixture of mediocre results, Marvin Lewis/dalton fatigue and feeling like the NFL rehabilitation team has lead to a lot of apathy in the fan base. No draft posts, no practice or training camp, no 1st preseason game wrap up. I myself haven't been paying attention much this year and apparently I'm not the only one.

You summed it up pretty well.

I missed this news last year -- Hamilton County refinanced the PBS construction bonds in August 2016.  The refi is saving the county between $2-7 million per year.  I believe that the variation accounts for the times when specific bonds were sold.  They didn't sell all of the construction bonds at once but rather in groups over a few years, and those bond sales were each at somewhat different rates. 

http://wvxu.org/post/hamilton-county-officially-refinances-stadium-debt-save-money

^Yeah, I've always defended Marvin Lewis and I still think he is a really good coach but besides the vets on this team, especially on defense they don't play like they should.  Hardly any of the high draft pick DB's are playing well (Williams, Dennard), and besides Lafell and Green the WR's aren't any good (Boyd and Ross), and they are just more or less a mess.

Maybe Cincy can get someone to come in and take over for Marvin and let Marvin move to a GM and see if the new guy can get the young guys motivated.

^Yeah, I've always defended Marvin Lewis and I still think he is a really good coach but besides the vets on this team, especially on defense they don't play like they should.  Hardly any of the high draft pick DB's are playing well (Williams, Dennard), and besides Lafell and Green the WR's aren't any good (Boyd and Ross), and they are just more or less a mess.

Maybe Cincy can get someone to come in and take over for Marvin and let Marvin move to a GM and see if the new guy can get the young guys motivated.

LOL Marvin Lewis is a really good coach!? The same Marvin Lewis who has been in Cincinnati 15 years and never won a playoff game? It's literally the same thing every year with the Bengals. As soon as the Steelers got the field goal at the end of the first half last night, I knew the Bengals were toast. It's so predictable, and the game played out pretty much EXACTLY like I knew it would. Sloppy play, dropped passes, stupid penalties (the offside at the end was SO classically Bungles), conservative play to cling to whatever lead they managed to create in the first half. Throw in some bad calls from the refs, which also seems to be a fixture in Bengals games, and the loss last night was all but assured.

You have to realize, it doesn't matter who we throw out there on the field, as long as Marvin and Co. are around, the Bengals will never do anything. I realize I sound like one of those angry dudes who calls into 700 WLW after games, but I think the records speak for themselves at this point. I used to be a very optimistic Bengals fan, and managed to shrug off disappointing season after disappointing season due to the hope that if we just add ____ player, this team will finally get over the hump! Yeah, not how it works in Bengaldom. Even when the team is supposedly stacked, and going against lesser opponents such as the 2013 playoff game against a weak Chargers team, we lose and lose badly. The 2015 playoff game against the Steelers is what really opened my eyes, though. When they found a way to lose that game, that was it for me. I've watched maybe 3 quarters of Bengal football this year, and that's 3 too many.

^I don't disagree with you.  IMO their best chance was 2015 and they blew it as you mentioned and had Dalton got hurt I am guessing they would have advanced pretty far.

What I mean by really good coach, is that who else is going to do as good of job as Marvin Lewis?  I think recently they have had issues with player development talking the last two years where players drafted have not panned out and the vets that did pan out from 2011-2015 are getting older.  That one is on coaching.  I think Lewis can play a good role with the Bengals if he choses as a GM.  He can find players, but I think they need discipline and hard coaching to develop those young players and hopefully they can find the right coach to do it, I just don't know if Brown has it in him.  I'll tell you though I think Hugh Jackson would be a good coach if the Browns can him.  And it really isn't his fault the Browns are as bad as they are.  They were playing their best football under Hugh in 2015 before Dalton broke his thumb.  With Marvin as GM and Hugh as head coach I think they can take it up a notch.  I think also them trading away Whitworth was a big mistake and that cost at least 2 or 3 wins this year so far though the o-line has played better lately.

Marvin Lewis leaving Bengals after this season

Cincinnati-Skyline-Night-5067.jpg

Cincinnati Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis and the team will part ways after this season, according to reports.

NFL Network’s Ian Rappoport and ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Lewis and the Bengals agreed he’ll wrap up his 15-year tenure as Bengals head coach when the season ends. The Bengals declined comment through a spokeswoman.

Rappaport said Lewis told him last night that he'd be interested in a potential front-office position with another team. Rappaport also reported that both sides agreed to move on and wanted a fresh start.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/12/17/marvin-lewis-leaving-bengals-after-this-season.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

HAHAHAHA!  Considering how the Ravens helped Cincinnati open their 2017 NFL season, the Bengals returned the favor by helping Baltimore close theirs. If ever there was a case of poetic justice on the football field, this game was it!  ;D ;D ;D

https://www.wcpo.com/sports/football/bengals/marvin-lewis-says-hes-not-sure-if-sundays-game-was-his-last

I've seen three lines of thought. First is "well who else are you going to get???". The second is, "well that's stupid" while the third and most interesting (conspiracy) theory is keeping Marvin is the next move in a process to move the Bengals to another market. Disenfranchise the fans by doing more of the same, so that when Hamilton county breaches the stadium contract in a year Mike Brown can search for greener pastures and the fan base won't be as rabid when fighting against him.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/12/10/16755860/could-the-bengals-be-leaving-cincinnati-in-the-near-future

I am more of the lines of "who else is a better candidate".  The Bengals were close this year to being a good team at times but they were super disjointed.  Could Marvin had said "Look Mike, you've got to give me complete control of the roster and FA moves.  Only then will I stay..."  If that is what it was, then I think that's a good deal for Cincinnati.

I get the whole no win in playoff, but the way the roster is now, it is fairly close to being a Division contender / wild card team.  If Brown is letting Marvin get straightened out the disjointedness, will see what happens in 2 years.

Also got to think, who would want to coach the Bengals with Brown at the helm, notorious for being a cheapster...

It's such a shame that a coach who has been around 15 years without a single playoff victory is the best we can do in Cincinnati, but that does appear to be the case. I haven't really followed or cared about the Bengals since the Steeler playoff game collapse, so I don't really care what the inept organization does, but it would be nice if they even gave the appearance of caring about success occasionally.

It's such a shame that a coach who has been around 15 years without a single playoff victory is the best we can do in Cincinnati, but that does appear to be the case. I haven't really followed or cared about the Bengals since the Steeler playoff game collapse, so I don't really care what the inept organization does, but it would be nice if they even gave the appearance of caring about success occasionally.

What happen the 15 years before Lewis?

What happen the 15 years before Lewis?

Yes, let's measure down not measure up. The Bengals also went to 2 Super Bowls in the 1980s. Nowhere else would a coach who can't win in the playoffs and can't beat their main rival (Pittsburgh) be allowed to stay around this long. The Bengals will be lucky to average to 50,000 fans this year.

Not counting the LA teams (both of which are playing in temporary stadiums that are too large and too small respectively) the Bengals are last in total attendance and percentage of capacity filled. I would imagine this trend will continue.

Not counting the LA teams (both of which are playing in temporary stadiums that are too large and too small respectively) the Bengals are last in total attendance and percentage of capacity filled. I would imagine this trend will continue.

With Hue staying on in Cleveland and a 1-31 record over two seasons I'd like to think the Browns can break through that Bengals threshold next year.

I'm hearing a rumor that one of Marvin Lewis's kids or relatives has had a love child with someone in the Brown family.  If so, this is the greatest local urban legend since the Bob Huggins/Jeff Wyler's Wife affair urban legend. 

I know one of the Brown children had a baby with a Russian/Eastern European girl who was teaching tennis at Cincinnati Tennis Club. It was a bit of a scandal at the time, but I think they actually ended up marrying.

Marvin Lewis out as Bengals coach

Coruscant-5.jpg

Marvin Lewis won’t be back as Cincinnati Bengals coach next season. The Bengals and Lewis made the announcement Monday morning.

Tom Pelissero of NFL Network and NFL.com reported earlier Monday morning that Lewis has told his staff he won’t be coaching the team next season.

“Marvin Lewis has informed his Bengals staff he’s out as coach, source said. Owner Mike Brown made the decision,” Pelissero wrote on Twitter at 9:59 a.m.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/12/31/reports-marvin-lewis-out-as-bengals-coach.html

• Like 1

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Probably not. The media and fans of other teams love the joke. The story goes in 2015, Marvin wanted to retire and have Hue Jackson take over as head coach but Mike Brown refused. So either, Mike Brown thought Marvin should still be coaching at that point or felt like he'd rather have Marvin than Hue or just straight up didn't want Hue to be head coach. 

Edited by cincydave8