Guest yanni_gogolak

Portage County: Development and News

Aerospace industry is part of the reason Southern California grew so prosperous in the 1970s and 80s. Granted this would be on a much smaller scale its still great (potentially) for the region.

Aerospace industry is part of the reason Southern California grew so prosperous in the 1970s and 80s. Granted this would be on a much smaller scale its still great (potentially) for the region.

It sounds like it would be on a pretty large scale, at most there will be five in the US.  This area already does a lot of aerospace, and assembled missiles don't always travel well.

Keep in mind that anything that can take out ballistic missiles can almost by definition hit falling space junk, including meteors.

State gives Crain Avenue Bridge project $421,000, cites delays

By Marc Kovac | R-C Capital Bureau Published: September 24, 2013 4:00AM

COLUMBUS -- The state Controlling Board agreed to tack another $421,000 onto the bill for a new Kent bridge, citing delays in the project that weren't the contractor's fault.

The lawmaker panel signed off on a competitive selection waiver on a contract with Beaver Excavating of Canton, which handled the Crain Avenue Bridge project.

http://www.recordpub.com/news%20local/2013/09/24/state-gives-crain-avenue-bridge-project-421-000-cites-delays

Kent Sherman House moved to new home

By Kyle McDonald | Staff Writer Published: September 22, 2013 4:00AM

Saturday's rain couldn't keep the Kent Wells Sherman House from making its way through downtown Kent from a temporary spot on College Avenue to its final home on North Water Street.

After crossing Haymaker Parkway, Stein House Movers inched the 1850s Greek revival house along Erie Street, past its original location at Erie and Water streets, and north through the intersection with Main Street to 247 N. Water St., where it will permanently be located.

http://www.recordpub.com/news%20local/2013/09/22/kent-sherman-house-moved-to-new-home

NEOMED marks anniversary with new facilities

By Carol Biliczky

Beacon Journal staff writer

Published: October 6, 2013 - 11:09 PM | Updated: October 7, 2013 - 07:52 AM

ROOTSTOWN TWP.: The Northeast Ohio Medical University is marking its 40th anniversary with two new buildings — the first major additions to the rural campus since its inception.

Officials say the $37 million housing project and a $45 million research and graduate education facility will modernize and enhance the campus.

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/neomed-marks-anniversary-with-new-facilities-1.434800

Dunkin’ Donuts opens today in Kent; construction has begun for new Falls location on State Road

By Betty Lin-Fisher

Beacon Journal business writer

Six years ago today, Ken Blum and his partners opened their first Dunkin’ Donuts store on Graham Road in Cuyahoga Falls.

Today, Blum opens his 15th store, this one in Kent on Main Street. He has another under construction in Cuyahoga Falls and two more in Broadview Heights and Parma.

http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news/dunkin-donuts-opens-today-in-kent-construction-has-begun-for-new-falls-location-on-state-road-1.442374

I was back in Kent yesterday and took a few pics. I was surprised there were as many people walking around Acorn Alley despite the 10-degree temps. I didn't take out my phone camera until I got back into the car, however.

This is the Franklin Hotel in downtown Kent, which was recently renovated into apartments and a ground-floor restaurant. When I went to KSU in the 80s, this was the site of a popular nightclub called The Townhouse....

1474369_10200737571036514_566746362_n.jpg

To show how much downtown Kent has changed, the only building in this scene that existed before 2009 is the red brick Franklin Hotel in the distance. Now this section is the site of a conference center, hotel, transit center, parking deck, apartments, shops & cafes....

1555365_10200737586716906_392303728_n.jpg

New conference center and hotel, plus a new Bricco restaurant topped by apartments at right -- part of $100 million worth of downtown Kent developments in the past five years....

1609692_10200737591077015_750936890_n.jpg

And across Erie Street from the new hotel/conference center is the new PARTA Transit Center with multiple weekday buses to Akron, Cleveland (also has Sunday service), Ravenna, Hiram, Garrettsville and around Kent....

1509276_10200737595837134_700252510_n.jpg

Here's a then-and-now comparison from October 2008 to August 2013 of the exact same location and angle thanks to Google Streetview....

2008:

12087327505_1dcc4cde69_b.jpg

2013:

12087639973_63e8d1441a_b.jpg

It's kind of funny that at that spot, you'll see what's been called "Google Lag".  The aerial views show a much earlier stage of construction than the street views.  Sort of the opposite of the Ford casting plant in Brookpark.

New Portage County courthouse almost ready to open; Kent considers what to do with old one

By Paula Schleis

Beacon Journal staff writer

Published: March 9, 2014 - 08:48 PM

KENT: The brand-new Portage County courthouse in Kent just needs a little spit and polish before it opens for business this spring.

Crews recently were tacking down carpeting, sweeping floors, installing glass and fine-tuning other things in the 33,000-square-foot building.

http://www.ohio.com/news/new-portage-county-courthouse-almost-ready-to-open-kent-considers-what-to-do-with-old-one-1.472001

Pictures of the horrible fire that struck historic downtown Garrettsville were moved to the Garrettsville photo thread:

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,19765.0.html

This forum's section is for threads on new developments (plans, projects, construction, rehab), like an historically accurate reconstruction of the block that was lost yesterday!

Update: Volkswagen dealership takes step toward reality

Streetsboro may seek lowered speed limit on Route 14

by Bob Gaetjens | Editor Published: April 10, 2014 11:11AM

The Collection Auto Group’s planned Volkswagen dealership, which would be located on Route 14 about midway between Fifth-Third Bank and Great Lakes Hyundai in front of Shady Lake Apartments, took a step toward becoming a reality April 8.

The Streetsboro Planning and Zoning Commission granted its approval to a site plan 7-0, subject to administrative review by Planning Director John Cieszkowski Jr.

http://www.thegatewaynews.com/news%20local/2014/04/10/streetsboro-volkswagen-dealership-takes-step-toward-becoming-reality

/\

The city of Kent sold the city Administration headquarters at the corner of Depeyster and Summit. The buildings were to big for what the city needed, and they agreed to sell the site for 2.4 mil to Newbrook Partners. City agencies have been scrambling to find temporary office space. 

Streetview:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.150098,-81.356424,3a,75y,44.42h,84.73t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1saK8_MzZa6rXguJdqonPzFA!2e0?hl=en

Small businesses help fuel Kent's revitalization

November 14, 2015 UPDATED 41 MINUTES AGO

By JEREMY NOBILE 

Mike Beder opened his first bar, Glory Days at the time, in a former deli in 2001 near the Star of the West Milling Co. flour mill in Kent. He moved elsewhere in downtown and changed the name to the Water Street Tavern a couple years later.

“When I first started, it was really only the bars and a couple other places that had any sorts of customers and foot traffic,” Beder said. “There just wasn’t much to offer students to come downtown as a whole.”

Kent’s downtown, however, has since undergone a remarkable $130 million revitalization project — a true public, private partnership — that’s transformed the central business district into a bustling, modern, Main Street hub. There are large, mixed-use complexes combining office, living and retail space, luxury apartments, new hotels and restaurants, a parking deck and bus garage and more than triple the total businesses.

Today, streets are filled with shoppers. Bars and restaurants draw professionals young and old. Fresh blood is living in downtown proper. The city itself offers a true semblance of night life.

MORE:

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20151114/NEWS/151119893/small-businesses-help-fuel-kents-revitalization

New hope for rebuilding Garrettsville's 'Buckeye Block'.

Senator Raises Hope for Rebuilding Garrettsville’s Buckeye Block

Garrettsville – It helps to have friends in high places. The village of Garrettsville has a friend in Ohio Senator John Edlund (R-District 18), who plans to throw his weight behind state funding for new construction of the Buckeye Block Building on Main Street...

http://weeklyvillager.com/senator-raises-hope-for-rebuilding-the-buckeye-block/

BuckeyeBlock-Garrettsville-Reconstruction-Concept-Art.jpg

/\

The city of Kent sold the city Administration headquarters at the corner of Depeyster and Summit. The buildings were to big for what the city needed, and they agreed to sell the site for 2.4 mil to Newbrook Partners. City agencies have been scrambling to find temporary office space. 

Streetview:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.150098,-81.356424,3a,75y,44.42h,84.73t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1saK8_MzZa6rXguJdqonPzFA!2e0?hl=en

23582662824_3ddb5fb09f_b.jpg

The aboveStreetview picture is the "before" -- here's the "during" showing construction of the 200+ unit apartment building I shot today...

CX_t1hXW8AAzrKJ.jpg:large

But, wait, there's more! Houses are being demolished for the new police station at the southeast corner of South Depeyster and East Haymaker Parkway, looking south on Depeyster...

CX_t0phWwAIILXv.jpg:large

Another view of the houses being demolished, looking north on Depeyster toward Haymaker...

CX_uQjOWwAAYzYQ.jpg:large

On the opposite corner of Depeyster and Haymaker appears to be another development site but I'm not familiar with what this might be...

CX_uOuLWQAA1q1k.jpg:large

East of downtown on Erie Street/Esplanade is the new architecture school -- it's a major new building (hard to get the scale from this angle and my only other picture that did capture the scale was a lousy drive-by shooting) and will help unify downtown with the campus as much as the Esplanade will....

CX_t2fYWEAA1IOd.jpg:large

And a few other photos to round out the scene in downtown Kent today. Definitely not the downtown I used to frequent in my college days in the 80s!

CX_tz7TWcAIHmjk.jpg:large

CX_uP6IWQAAjKz6.jpg:large

CX_uPP4WkAAbS7U.jpg:large

I'm not sure what the push is for "micro-apartments" in areas that aren't really dense. They would work in NYC and San Fran, but Kent and Columbus?

Also, from what I'm seeing a micro-apartment is just a new term. These are 745 s.f.. I live in an apartment that is just over half that size and I just call it a boring old "apartment". These even have a private bedroom and walk-in closet. Look at some of the NYC plans for micro-apartments. Even the Columbus ones are more true to "micro".

Wow, they're calling something that's 745 square feet a micro-apartment? My condo is 493 square feet and I wouldn't even call that "micro." It's small, but it never feels cramped and makes smart use of its space. 745 square feet would feel gigantic if I were to move into a place that size.

Wow, they're calling something that's 745 square feet a micro-apartment? My condo is 493 square feet and I wouldn't even call that "micro." It's small, but it never feels cramped and makes smart use of its space. 745 square feet would feel gigantic if I were to move into a place that size.

In digging further on their website, it looks like the only plan they are showing may actually be the largest apartment. Others look smaller, but they don't talk about size.

But they are showing a 745 s.f. apt. and saying rent starts at $750, making me think $1 s.f. when it will probably be $2+ s.f. for the smaller layout.

Shaking my head at the few "brilliant" comments on Cleveland.com tonight calling the new KSU architecture building "ugly" and complaining about a NY architecture firm designing it.  As a Kent graduate, I'm happy that the University is moving forward boldly -  I think the building makes a statement - in a great way - that feels  very 21st century, while still having some of  the classic elements of a "hall  of academia."  The building is definitely in a strategic, commanding position as you approach the University from the campus. It  will probably create quite a positive first impression for a lot of visiting seniors who are considering Kent.  The town itself definitely has an energy right now - new buildings and momentum.  Definite upgrade from what it was just a  few years ago.  Wish we had a little more dynamic vision happening at Cleveland State. 

An update to the development projects in Downtown Kent.

- Avant 220 Micro Apartments (which will feature a sushi restaurant and "Pizza Fire" on the first floor)

http://www.pizzafire.com/#top

- Flats 345 Apartments on the old Kent administration buildings

http://www.345flats.com/

(You can see the building demolitions for the new Kent PD station just to the north on the same block)

Plans move ahead to bring Menards and Meijer stores to Brimfield

Published: June 14, 2018 - 9:26 AM | Updated: June 15, 2018 - 4:03 PM

By Ellin Walsh

Tallmadge Express-News

GateHouse Media Ohio

RAVENNA: The Portage County Regional Planning Commission has unanimously approved plans to subdivide the 132-acre former Maplecrest Golf Course in Brimfield to accommodate a new Menards home improvement store and a Meijer grocery and department store.

“The project we have … has the ability to really be a game changer for Brimfield and for Portage County,” said Dan DeHoff, chief executive officer of DeHoff Development Co.

https://www.ohio.com/akron/business/real-estate/menards-meijer-coming-to-former-maplecrest-golf-course-development-in-brimfield

Long-awaited Ravenna movie theater opens Aug. 24

Published: August 6, 2018 - 1:03 PM | Updated: August 11, 2018 - 9:05 PM

By Diane Smith

RAVENNA: The city’s first movie theater in more than 50 years will make its debut Aug. 24.

Neighborhood Development Services said the long-awaited Ravenna 7 Movies at 215 W. Cedar Ave. will open its doors that Friday. While there’s no list yet of what films will be shown, they will be first-run, major motion pictures.

https://www.ohio.com/akron/news/local/long-awaited-ravenna-movie-theater-opens-aug-24?#utm_medium=email&utm_source=ccl-akronmorning&utm_campaign=ccl-akronmorning-20180813&cci_test=akron

Not many new theaters being built in small-town downtowns.  Hope it's successful!