zaceman

Cleveland: Historic Photos

On 11/9/2019 at 10:24 AM, Cleburger said:

I'm so glad that the government and societies of Europe put more emphasis on saving old buildings!  

Alot of the "old" buildings are rebuilt to look like the old buildings after the war. They really arent that old.  This is especially true in the Federal Republic

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No, 1993 isn't historic...

• Like 2

"Most of us have been conditioned to regard military combat as exciting and glamorous -- an opportunity for men to prove their competence and courage. Since armies are legal, we feel that war is acceptable; in general, nobody feels that that war is criminal or that accepting it is a criminal attitude. In fact, we have been brainwashed. War is neither glamorous nor attractive. It is monstrous. Its very nature is one of tragedy and suffering" --Dalai Lama

@SkrticX

Euclid Ave. with holiday lighting, looking east from public Square, November 30, 1961, at 7:15 PM. Found @Cleveland_PL @thiswascle @EncyCle_

EJ6kOVwXUAA8YM0?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Like 4

"Most of us have been conditioned to regard military combat as exciting and glamorous -- an opportunity for men to prove their competence and courage. Since armies are legal, we feel that war is acceptable; in general, nobody feels that that war is criminal or that accepting it is a criminal attitude. In fact, we have been brainwashed. War is neither glamorous nor attractive. It is monstrous. Its very nature is one of tragedy and suffering" --Dalai Lama

8 hours ago, KJP said:

@SkrticX

Euclid Ave. with holiday lighting, looking east from public Square, November 30, 1961, at 7:15 PM. Found @Cleveland_PL @thiswascle @EncyCle_

EJ6kOVwXUAA8YM0?format=jpg&name=900x900

(Clutching my pearls)  IS THAT A...BUS....in the lower left corner?  On Public Square?   😇

• Like 1

Look at all those streetlights.... they are all ON!  And I dont see broken Christmas lights wrapped around the poles held on with electrical tape?  

The Healthline lighting leaves a ton to be desired... both in its design and its maintenance.  Sad.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The spotlight provided navigation for airships that were seen as the future of air travel in the 1920s. This building was built with an airship station on the roof & later became part of the Sammy's restaurant chain. Its interior looks like a 1920s railroad station waiting room.

Enlarged....

EIvADDqWoAEtzw-?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KJP said:

The spotlight provided navigation for airships that were seen as the future of air travel in the 1920s. This building was built with an airship station on the roof & later became part of the Sammy's restaurant chain. Its interior looks like a 1920s railroad station waiting room.

Enlarged....

EIvADDqWoAEtzw-?format=jpg&name=medium

I forgot about the airship station, so unbelievably cool.  Looks like Commissioner Gordon signaling Batman.  Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, KJP said:

The spotlight provided navigation for airships that were seen as the future of air travel in the 1920s...Its interior looks like a 1920s railroad station waiting room.

I've tried to scour google and local historical sites and haven't really been able to find any photos of the waiting room area. I feel like I saw something a long while ago, but have no idea where I found it-  do you have anything on your end?

1 hour ago, KJP said:

From the story:

"There was a legend that the roof was also designed for a dirigible docking station, but the rooftop plans prepared by Graham, Anderson, Probst and White show no such station planned for the building, and no contemporary news articles or other primary sources have been discovered that prove the existence of, or plans for, either the station itself or any accessory buildings on the rooftop."

3 hours ago, GISguy said:

I've tried to scour google and local historical sites and haven't really been able to find any photos of the waiting room area. I feel like I saw something a long while ago, but have no idea where I found it-  do you have anything on your end?

I believe the space has been closed for quite some time but I found this photo from Socially Artistic Wedding Planner's Facebook page. Always had a soft spot for this place; back in 2002 when they still served lunch, I signed my book deal with Arcadia Publishing right about where that round table on the far left is.

72151_577183968982970_545468812_n.jpg?_n

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

I posted about the availability of historical ODOT aerial imagery in the 'Just Plain Interesting Photo Finds..." topic, here's an example (from 1968 at 3650ft)

3820-1-12-reduced.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 2

That's a fantastic photo. So many details to inspect in that great image.

15 minutes ago, KJP said:

That's a fantastic photo. So many details to inspect in that great image.

I reduced the size for putting it on here, the original is about 50% larger of a file size (and detail). I'm impressed at the quality of some of these photo programs they were flying at the time.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2018 at 8:17 AM, KJP said:

Perhaps at the time. My father didn't know her until the mid-1980s. She was also quite a bit younger than Shondor, by something like 30 or 40 years.

Rick Porrello's latest book is about Shondor.   He says it was her, not the Murray Hill people everyone thought, who hired the bombers that blew up Danny's place on Waterloo.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, E Rocc said:

Rick Porrello's latest book is about Shondor.   He says it was her, not the Murray Hill people everyone thought, who hired the bombers that blew up Danny's place on Waterloo.

Wait, Shondor's WIFE blew up Greene's apartment??

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KJP said:

Wait, Shondor's WIFE blew up Greene's apartment??

Ellie paid to have it done, according to Porrello.

I asked indirectly on his author page if this was new info, he says yes and thanks for not spoilering it on his page.

• Like 1

It's very difficult to stop the decline of existing neighborhoods when we are actively replacing them with new ones at the urban fringe and  the region is not growing.

• Love 1

• Like 1

the elysium

1907-1951

e107th & euclid

once the largest hockey arena in the world

home of the indians, falcons and barons

5F541655-14CA-4CD5-B27F-32656FE915BD_zps

02CEADAB-989F-4087-9612-295F4835AA4A_zps

CE8FEBE7-5030-4622-987F-207EB4496C80_zps

• Like 2
  • Love 2

In one of the threads (which I can't find) somebody wanted to see the old Nicholson Terminal (E55th and the lake) when it still was a terminal.  Here's one courtesy of a school friend whose father ran the terminal in the 50's and 60s.

The New York News was operated by the Ontario Paper Company of Thorold, Ontario, and delivered newsprint to the Cleveland papers.  Later the Bowater paper boats used the terminal along with Nicholson's own car transports.

Here you go:

Worden.jpg

Edited by Dougal
Edited to remove "old" from the description of my friend.
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

All that I can hear while looking at this picture is the opening of "Papa was a rolling stone" by the Temptations...

Edited by KJP

Here's hope that parking craters in downtown Cleveland can be eliminated.....

EM6RWIUXUAI_EuA?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 1

Looking west on Clifton Boulevard at the intersection of West 117th Street at the border of Lakewood in Cleveland in 1951. The streetcar was eliminated 3 years earlier but the overhead trolley bus wires....

FB_IMG_1577829817192.jpg

• Like 1

1943 Night view, looking west from East 14th St. at Huron and Euclid. #Cleveland Source: @Cleveland_PL

EOfG7GcWAAIw60i?format=jpg&name=900x900

Edited by KJP

On 12/17/2019 at 9:41 AM, mrnyc said:

this looks like it was a pretty decent joint to hang out in

haltnorth's garden

willson (e55th) and woodland

1870s

spacer.png

Definitiely the type of place where you'd get stabbed after calling someone a "common dandy"

5 hours ago, KJP said:

1943 Night view, looking west from East 14th St. at Huron and Euclid. #Cleveland Source: @Cleveland_PL

EOfG7GcWAAIw60i?format=jpg&name=900x900

That looks like it was a pretty impressive building where the current US Bank Centre stands!