zaceman

Cleveland: Historic Photos

Nope, no national criminal organization here! The FBI believed that until the 1960s...

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

• Like 1

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

Such a sooty, dirty, productive city....

• Like 2

Tinnerman Steel Range Co. building on Fulton Road in Ohio City

723654504_TinnermanSteelRangeCo.buildingonFultonRoadinOhioCity.thumb.jpg.557722e2b18ffd37a4668fae2ecd5b36.jpg

Interesting article in Cleveland.com about

Let’s draw innovation inspiration from when Ohio engineers ran their own Silicon Valley:

By Keith Aksel

SOURCE:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwj0ofi0xcnkAhURa1AKHT-VDZIQzPwBCAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cleveland.com%2Fopinion%2F2019%2F09%2Flets-draw-innovation-inspiration-from-when-ohio-engineers-ran-their-own-silicon-valley-keith-aksel.html&psig=AOvVaw2VIMJZwYIysUIiKsDe2OvV&ust=1568317852672874

Here is an interesting thought.  NE Ohio universities graduate probably 1000 engineers and scientists every year.  The vast majority of them leave the region upon graduation.  It seems to me that the missing link in a growing local economy is readily available risk capital.   Why does/did California have it and Ohio didn't? 

The holders of the capital just too risk averse?  Too easy to bet on a sure thing like another steel mill?

Intersection of Detroit and Lake avenues in the 1930s (the last one is from 1969)....

Detroit-lake-split-.jpg

Detroit-Ave-at-West-75th-.jpg

7700-Detroit-2.jpg

7700-Detroit.jpg

Edited by KJP
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, eastvillagedon said:

for all the youngsters, this is a page of Cleveland TV listings from nearly fifty years ago: Dec. 15, 1970--

48761041973_7a92ae8803_o.jpg

Dark Shadows was my show!

• Like 1

That's all of the TV shows I watched when I was a kid, including the daytime shows I watched when I was home sick from school.

On 9/17/2019 at 6:02 PM, KJP said:

Intersection of Detroit and Lake avenues in the 1930s (the last one is from 1969)....

Detroit-lake-split-.jpg

Detroit-Ave-at-West-75th-.jpg

7700-Detroit-2.jpg

7700-Detroit.jpg

That curved Tudor-esque bldg reminds me of the Cedar-Fairmount intersection in the Heights.....what a loss☹️

• Like 1

Someone just sent me this photo, guessing it was 1935.  Great shot. Check out Muny stadium, the Warehouse District, future Burke Airport, the road from W9 and Huron down to the Flats is there, as is the Eagle Ramp, Lakeside east of E9 is empty---the Cleveland Press would later be built there (North Point is there now), the docks at the port are less defined than they are today, Scranton Peninsula looks pretty busy, lots of other little details. 

345sf54.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Erie railroad,circa1948.leaving eastbound from literary st. Yard. Cuyahoga river bascule bridge the train is traveling over. Central furnaces are to the right of the pic. West 3rd st. Lift bridge is above the hopper car to the right.

D1AB418B-221A-4934-874F-DBD3E4DCA5D1.jpeg

Edited by bigbrian24
  • Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 5:06 PM, eastvillagedon said:

for all the youngsters, this is a page of Cleveland TV listings from nearly fifty years ago: Dec. 15, 1970--

48761041973_7a92ae8803_o.jpg

This was (is) my birthday. I turned four on this day and I certain my mom had me firmly placed in front of the baby sitter to watch all the glorious morning shows. As I'm sure most kids did, I always waited for Miss Sally to say my name at the end (not Musky).

• Like 1

I was only three so I was watching Romper Room, Barnaby, Sesame Street and, my favorite, Mister Rogers (I loved the trolley!).

those were the days when you would pick out your rad duds at alberts and the ohio city haberdashery and then hurry home to catch 5:

^ aside from the loss, what's interesting is every building downtown in that pic is completely filthy -- exactly i remember it as a kid. i find dirty buildings are kind of nostalgic now. ha.

Aside from the Terminal Tower and maybe the ATT Building, why did Cleveland not build many tall (Lets say 25+ stories) skyscrapers in the 20s/30s as did cities like Detroit and Pittsburgh?  Was it due to our bedrock situation?  

18 hours ago, mrclifton88 said:

Aside from the Terminal Tower and maybe the ATT Building, why did Cleveland not build many tall (Lets say 25+ stories) skyscrapers in the 20s/30s as did cities like Detroit and Pittsburgh?  Was it due to our bedrock situation?  

Could be. It did build a few 200-foot-plus-tall buildings however:

Terminal Tower -- 50 Public Square -- 1930 -- 52 Floors
Ohio Bell -- 750 Huron -- 1927 -- 24 Floors

Union Trust -- 925 Euclid -- 1924 -- 22 Floors

Standard -- 1370 Ontario -- 1925 -- 20 Floors

Keith -- 1621 Euclid -- 1922 -- 22 Floors

Superior -- 815 Superior -- 1922 -- 20 Floors

Fenn -- 1983 E. 24th -- 1930 -- 21 Floors

Landmark -- 101 W. Prospect -- 1930 -- 18 Floors

Parkview -- 1802 E. 13th -- 1926 -- 18 Floors

Hanna -- 1422 Euclid -- 1921 -- 16 Floors

Federal Reserve Bank -- 1445 E. 6th -- 1924 -- 12 floors

too soon?   ---  2013 skylift

spacer.png

1977 people mover -- final proposal

spacer.png

Historical notes: In the 1970s, monorails and automatic people movers - the kind you see at airports - were all the rage, and the federal government was interested in using them for downtown transportation. Cleveland would be an ideal test case, because the main downtown subway station at Public Square is just too far from most of downtown to be convenient for commuters. (There were plans in the 1950s to fix this by building a subway loop through downtown, but these plans were sabotaged by the very pro-automobile County Engineer.)

Twenty years after this fiasco, Cleveland won a federal grant worth $41 million to design and build a downtown monorail system to circulate passengers around downtown. If you look at the map, you'll see two obvious problems that even Lyle Lanley's salesmanship couldn't fix. First, the planned system only would run in one direction, and second, the stations are so close together that in some cases it's faster to walk. For these reasons, Mayor Dennis Kucinich killed the project, and the money went to Detroit instead. This ended up being a good idea- the Detroit People Mover ended up being a white elephant. (Miami's Metromover system ended up being a better deal, in that it did a very good job focusing development around downtown, but it also cost much more because it runs in both directions.)

more:

• Thanks 1

On 10/4/2019 at 12:01 PM, mrnyc said:

too soon?   ---  2013 skylift

spacer.png

1977 people mover -- final proposal

spacer.png

Historical notes: In the 1970s, monorails and automatic people movers - the kind you see at airports - were all the rage, and the federal government was interested in using them for downtown transportation. Cleveland would be an ideal test case, because the main downtown subway station at Public Square is just too far from most of downtown to be convenient for commuters. (There were plans in the 1950s to fix this by building a subway loop through downtown, but these plans were sabotaged by the very pro-automobile County Engineer.)

Twenty years after this fiasco, Cleveland won a federal grant worth $41 million to design and build a downtown monorail system to circulate passengers around downtown. If you look at the map, you'll see two obvious problems that even Lyle Lanley's salesmanship couldn't fix. First, the planned system only would run in one direction, and second, the stations are so close together that in some cases it's faster to walk. For these reasons, Mayor Dennis Kucinich killed the project, and the money went to Detroit instead. This ended up being a good idea- the Detroit People Mover ended up being a white elephant. (Miami's Metromover system ended up being a better deal, in that it did a very good job focusing development around downtown, but it also cost much more because it runs in both directions.)

more:

uninterested meryl streep GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

• Like 1

^ 40s is a good guess. Possibly even late 30s judging by that jukebox (not that the term had been coined yet) and the signage font. 

And they reckon that the last thing she saw in her life was
Sting, singing on the roof of the Barbican

Or the 1932 Ford parked to the right of the bank/bar.

I didn't know this...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1