zaceman

Cleveland: Historic Photos

Enjoy this 1940s-era photo this weekend when it's 95 degrees...

The Fairmount Blvd. streetcar line looking eastbound off of Cedar.

FB_IMG_1563292375397.jpg

• Like 2

"The boss rolls up in a new Lamborghini and tells his staff 'The greatest part about America is that hard work breeds wealth. So if you work hard and dedicate yourself tirelessly to the task at hand, I can get another new Lamborghini next year.'” -- Overheard in a Cleveland bar.

While the money continues to flow in for the Irishtown Bend stabilization and park, this is what the hillside looked like when the Irish actually lived there....

View looking west from the Detroit-Superior Viaduct of a section of the Cleveland Flats known as "Irish Bend." The Cuyahoga River can be seen in the photograph. Houses, cottages and shacks can be seen dotting the hillside along the river(1885).Notes and photo:@Cleveland_PL https://t.co/JVp3UrBciT

IMG_20190726_110955.jpg

• Like 1

"The boss rolls up in a new Lamborghini and tells his staff 'The greatest part about America is that hard work breeds wealth. So if you work hard and dedicate yourself tirelessly to the task at hand, I can get another new Lamborghini next year.'” -- Overheard in a Cleveland bar.

Look at those old buildings on Old River Road...

Damn! Just imagine if they were still standing. What an amazing street that would be. I see old buildings like these all over east cost cities and when I do I'm envious. They add incredible character and complexity to a neighborhood. Pisses me off that we had them too but were too shortsighted to keep them. City mentality really is different depending on where you go. "Old" is valued on the east coast.

I'm making my annual trip to Boston this month to stay with a Cleveland ex-pat. He's been there 30 years now and one of the first differences he noticed is the almost reverential respect they have for their history. We don't have nearly enough of that here. 

• Like 3

A fascinating old building...

• Like 2

Clevelander. August, 1964. Cleveland's Ever Changing Lakefront. Source: @Cleveland_PL Periodical Collection. https://t.co/nzrOdTU8GW

IMG_20190812_085219.jpg

On 7/26/2019 at 11:12 AM, KJP said:

While the money continues to flow in for the Irishtown Bend stabilization and park, this is what the hillside looked like when the Irish actually lived there....

View looking west from the Detroit-Superior Viaduct of a section of the Cleveland Flats known as "Irish Bend." The Cuyahoga River can be seen in the photograph. Houses, cottages and shacks can be seen dotting the hillside along the river(1885).Notes and photo:@Cleveland_PL https://t.co/JVp3UrBciT

IMG_20190726_110955.jpg

At its peak, Irishtown Bend saw as many as 15,000 inhabitants along the hillside on the less 3/4 mile strip. 

When my family (paternal great grandparents) first arrived in Cleveland, this is where they lived and worked. The Irish were forced up the hill to "the Angle" at the end of the 19th into the early 20th century - this migration was due (a) to the disease that spread as a result of such tight living quarters, and (b) significant violence from the "Know-Nothing" movement that saw a spur of anti-immigrant rhetoric and violence. In fact, several Irish were killed en route to polling stations in the 1880s, including several Civil War veterans. 

From the Angle, the Irish once again faced a wave of anti-Immigrant backlash before WW1 - an early family friend of my great grandparents had their home burnt down for taking jobs during a labor strike, and many moved to several concentrated blocks (W. 59 - W. 65th between Herman and Detroit) and smatterings along 65th from Detroit to Lorain as it stretched down to their parish at St. Colmans. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, YABO713 said:

When my family (paternal great grandparents) first arrived in Cleveland, this is where they lived and worked.

Mine, too; and they were dirt poor. The next generation did better - president of a large local company in the '30s and '40s.  The migration was to W65th, W85th, then Lakewood, next generation Rocky River, then my generation left town. 😞

• Sad 1

Is 5 years historic? 😉 Construction on The Metropolitan At The 9 on August 16, 2014. "The Metropolitan" is about to become a multiple application brand name...

FB_IMG_1565957649753.jpg

7 minutes ago, Terdolph said:

I haven't been there in person so I want to know, did they restore the historic Breuer (sp?) lobby?

I know it was torn out for construction.

The only part that was torn out was the windows facing East Ninth Street, and they were fully restored as part of the redevelopment.

• Thanks 1

We all know about the tremendous architectural loss that was the original Hollenden Hotel. But the building behind it, where the Fifth-Third Bank Tower's parking deck is today, looks like a fascinating building as well....

Here, I used only the Twitter image link. That building was 13 stories. I'm sure it had a great street presence as well......

ECK-FhuX4AAj54c?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by KJP
  • Like 1

And the building it replaced.....

ECfRlJ_WkAUcjof?format=jpg&name=medium

• Sad 1

Where the STJ Transit Center is now...

• Sad 1

In honor of one of the nation's oldest air shows, held every Labor Day weekend. They used to be held at Cleveland Municipal Airport (aka Hopkins) until a plane crashed into a house in Berea (in 1949, I think). So the air show was moved to the new Burke Lakefront Airport so planes could crash into Lake Erie instead....

• Like 1

A few years earlier....

Edited by KJP

Just a sunny day on Public Square....in 1921.

Nope, no national criminal organization here! The FBI believed that until the 1960s...

• Like 1

Such a sooty, dirty, productive city....

• Like 2

Tinnerman Steel Range Co. building on Fulton Road in Ohio City

723654504_TinnermanSteelRangeCo.buildingonFultonRoadinOhioCity.thumb.jpg.557722e2b18ffd37a4668fae2ecd5b36.jpg

Interesting article in Cleveland.com about

Let’s draw innovation inspiration from when Ohio engineers ran their own Silicon Valley:

By Keith Aksel

SOURCE:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwj0ofi0xcnkAhURa1AKHT-VDZIQzPwBCAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cleveland.com%2Fopinion%2F2019%2F09%2Flets-draw-innovation-inspiration-from-when-ohio-engineers-ran-their-own-silicon-valley-keith-aksel.html&psig=AOvVaw2VIMJZwYIysUIiKsDe2OvV&ust=1568317852672874

Intersection of Detroit and Lake avenues in the 1930s (the last one is from 1969)....

Detroit-lake-split-.jpg

Detroit-Ave-at-West-75th-.jpg

7700-Detroit-2.jpg

7700-Detroit.jpg

Edited by KJP
  • Like 1