zaceman

Cleveland: Historic Photos

7 hours ago, KJP said:

Shop for antiques while rocking out to hits of the Watergate era...

IMG_20190405_234229.jpg

The new FEB building is there now.

Yep. One of its last incarnations was as Jimmy's In The Flats. Jimmy's lasted a pretty long time because I used to go there (among many of our Flats stops) in the early 1990s during my second stint in college. I recall Jimmy's lasted until the mid-2000s.

"The boss rolls up in a new Lamborghini and tells his staff 'The greatest part about America is that hard work breeds wealth. So if you work hard and dedicate yourself tirelessly to the task at hand, I can get another new Lamborghini next year.'” -- Overheard in a Cleveland bar.

On 9/17/2018 at 3:45 PM, KJP said:

Oh happy joy joy....

Here You Are - #Cleveland More Downtown Parking. Source: @Cleveland_PL in Spring, 1970 Clevelander.

DnTwoN3WsAAiN-m.jpg:large

This was during the height of APCOA owner Howard Metzenbaum's first Senate campaign, where he beat John Glenn in the primary and lost to Taft.  I actually met him when my CYO day camp group came across a campaign appearance.   Later my mom was a friend of his wife.

Doesn't mean I didn't work for Ashbrook in 1982 though.   🙂

This is far and away my favorite topic on here, I always find something new LOL

On 8/15/2018 at 1:48 AM, KJP said:

Ah yes, Cleveland in the 1980s... The only thing more gritty and seedier that I remember about Cleveland was the 1970s! It's why I'm amazed at what Cleveland is becoming nowadays, which is a livable city mostly on the west side). Unfortunately young people today get very impatient and easily disappointed about setbacks and slow progress. If they could imagine East Cleveland level of corruption, incompetence, violence, hopelessness and blight, that was Cleveland of the 1970s and into the 80s. Yes, it was that bad.

Even in the 1980s seemed to be a step beyond the 1970s,  which were almost certainly the low point of Cleveland history.

• Like 1

And now we jump back to near the beginning. Love that @TPH2 shared an actual photo of the 1830s court house seen just prior to its demise....

D4MshghW4AAgjmL.jpg

D4MsloUW0AAFxgG.jpg

D4MsonsWkAEzkuj.png

• Like 1

"The boss rolls up in a new Lamborghini and tells his staff 'The greatest part about America is that hard work breeds wealth. So if you work hard and dedicate yourself tirelessly to the task at hand, I can get another new Lamborghini next year.'” -- Overheard in a Cleveland bar.

3 hours ago, mrnyc said:

just a reminder today after the notre dame fire that these things happen  😞

spacer.png

Which fire was that?

Was that the church fire that started form an out of season, lighting strike a few years back? 

Edited by viscomi

• Like 2

On 4/6/2019 at 2:36 PM, KJP said:

Yep. One of its last incarnations was as Jimmy's In The Flats. Jimmy's lasted a pretty long time because I used to go there (among many of our Flats stops) in the early 1990s during my second stint in college. I recall Jimmy's lasted until the mid-2000s.

We went down there after an Indians game once and the owner objected to our baseball caps so about ten of us walked out, never went back.   This would have been mid 90s.  Thought they closed soon after (maybe sold?).   River's Edge was our spot other than for concerts.

Well it's not really a photo and people my age will debate whether it's "historic" but I can't think of a better place to post it....

I loved Kenny Kings. Best fried chicken ever!

Dated.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2019 at 11:49 AM, mrnyc said:

broadvue theater

pearl road

Broadvue-Movie-Theater-Pearl-Road-Parma-

My grandpa grew up in this neighborhood... whenever he references it to me, he says, "but that's when Broadview and Pearl was a metropolis!"

• Like 3

My bi-annual trip down the historic photo search rabbit hole. Several pics I'd never seen before.

Carnegie and E22nd (apparently Carnegie stopped at E22nd, it was then extended to E14th in the late 20's or early 30's).

121399701_ScreenShot2019-05-02at9_48_03AM.png.509dc31bc76a3716f9487d7503bf95fd.png

Looking up W25th to the Lake

2031588759_W25DI.thumb.jpg.1b2f39f85d917d97780d4022c8a146c8.jpg

These buildings just east of 925 Euclid are currently being rehabbed.

1364148206_EuclidBlock.thumb.jpg.c211d5669f098b4cd62f223037c8322d.jpg

Penn Square Theater, west of E55th on Euclid, north side of the street.

92738546_PennSqTheatre.jpg.26c0241f873bd93bf94ee36d4724990c.jpg

South side of Woodland Avenue just west of E55th.

257684956_E55thWoodland.jpg.dd32f75c708d68f7563ff07adfffea4e.jpg

Alhambra Theater fire, north side of Euclid just west of E105th

1580293114_E105thEuclid.jpg.d65f3dbfa74d0ab687dc6de4f021806b.jpg

The Doan Theater, just west of E105th on St. Clair

1460087163_E105thSt.Clair.jpg.514d53e44173ae96482f87bb67b89acf.jpg

E105th just north of Euclid, east side of the street.

2124051759_E105thNorthofEuclid.jpeg.e4bbd6bb4456aa94ba99d65c0b01a0a7.jpeg

Chester at E12th Street

941687911_E12thChester.jpg.1438a6f4f6ed9e801b90a98e367efbef.jpg

East 9th & Chester

123517781_E9thChester.jpg.fe699421f6471ea793b5d5d76b742b45.jpg

E6th & Euclid

1233629814_E6thEuclid.jpg.99149800012f5ecde443d6d0af9c5f96.jpg

East 14th & Prospect, notice the 12 story building with the Red Cross sign two buildings east of the current Halle garage

1853483465_E14thProspect.jpg.19715268d9a384e8a1784af6c74b663c.jpg

Edited by w28th

2 hours ago, ryanfrazier said:

Do you have a year for that top pic of Carnegie and E22nd?  Also, is there *anything* in that picture that is still standing?

The Terminal Tower is in the background, but it looks totally black meaning it's probably the steel structure (no facade yet). Maybe 1928?

I remember driving down Ninth as a kid and passing by the Roxy (10th picture...now PNC Building) and seeing those huge pictures of barely dressing ladies and being hugely impressed.🤩

• Like 2

Ugh the Carnegie photo...So much lost in this area. This was basically our equivalent to Toronto's Queen St West neighborhood. All completely wiped out. And there are actually a number of guilty parties...ODOT, Cleveland State, St Vincent, Tri-C. To answer the question of when Carnegie was punched through to connect with Lorain...using Historic Aerials topo maps, it appears it was sometime between 1950 and 1955. That was probably the beginning to the end for this poor neighborhood.

Insidently, the projects were the 1st thing to blast huge holes in the neighborhood. And this knowledge may be lost to time, but the presence of the projects on Cedar may have caused engineers to swoop I77 back west towards downtown as opposed to continuing north from E30th & Woodland and allowing I90/71 to hit I77 there.

Looking west down Euclid Avenue from East 55th (aka Penn Square) in 1929......

D6age0oXkAIYGko?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Zoom

D6agYb7XoAAIGpZ?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by KJP
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

22 hours ago, KJP said:

Looking west down Euclid Avenue from East 55th (aka Penn Square) in 1929......

D6age0oXkAIYGko?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Zoom

D6agYb7XoAAIGpZ?format=jpg&name=large

It's sad to see these old photos of Cleveland's East side and to see what was and what has become of it.  This photo, E.55 and Woodland area, League park area (even the W. 6th area downtown)...all those beautiful brick buildings and density...gone.  😞  Urban destruction via politicians and the riots...the decisions NOT to build a subway system...The landscape of this city would look so much different.  I was just at E 55 and Carnegie today taking at fire truck to the shop and was looking at the giant brick building just to the East of that intersection and thinking I hope it isn't doomed to be torn down.  So many of these old jewels have been, it's a shame.