zaceman

Cleveland: Historic Photos

Well, here is one great thing with the vast parking lots created during the automobile era. They provide sizable, and highly desireable tracts for developers today to use. Scraping together land in urbanized areas, especially ones that are contiguous for such large, profit-generating projects, is quite difficult.

But that in no way praises the value of parking lots. Just that we can at least look forward to seeing some infill on the vast lots that we have created.

Any idea as to when Oldman's first photo was taken?  It's pre-Erieview so it's at least prior to 1964.  Check out the density in the W 3rd and 6th blocks that are now parking lots.  Also, the East 9th area was really dominated by the Huntington Bldg at the time, with lots of low-rise buildings to the north.  Lastly, I didn't know that prior to the Lausche building, you could look down on the tracks entering the Terminal Tower in that triangle.

In the first black + white photo of this thread, is Burke Airport missing? That would date that photo to before 1947.

Thanks - I thought 55 P.S. was the first of Cleveland's modernist, International style skyscrapers but didn't realize there was such a gap between its construction and the Erieview project in 1964.

So we should be celebrating 50 years of modernist architecture in Cleveland either this year or next...

Amazing that the photos posted in the first message are still hosted after four years! And I think you have the numbers transposed in the date of the Cuyahoga Building picture. It says 1893, but there's cars parked in it. Probably 1983, the year the building was torn down for the Sohio tower. BTW, the Blizzard of 1913 picture was taken on West 25th Street where I-90 cuts through today. Only one building in that view still stands today.

Thanks for the new pictures, especially of "The Bruer" under construction.

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Okay, not exactly photos but I don't think anyone will be complaining. I bought these old linen postcards on Miami Beach on Lincoln Road's Antique & Flea Market, 100 of them for $5. They have that paper linen smell, the smell of Grandma's Christmas decorations.

I cropped the titles and boarders, the original titles are in text above each card. The reverse side of the card is shown where there are some interesting comments about the city during this time period.

29 Public Square and Terminal Group, Cleveland, Ohio

scan0038.jpg

Reverse side: I just like the stamp on this one; I forgot that there was a gift shop on the observation floor.

scan00382.jpg

19 Lorain-Carnegie Bridge and Union Terminal, Cleveland, Ohio

scan0039.jpg

C.6 – High Level Bridge Looking East Showing Terminal Tower, Cleveland, Ohio

scan0040.jpg

48 West Approach and Underpass, Main Avenue Bridge, Cleveland, Ohio

scan0052.jpg

C.31 – Main Avenue Bridge Looking West, Cleveland, Ohio

scan0057.jpg

6 Detroit Superior High Level Bridge and Terminal Tower, Cleveland, Ohio

scan0065.jpg

Public Square Facing East, Cleveland, Ohio

scan0042.jpg

C.2 – Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument, Public Square, Cleveland, Ohio

scan0043.jpg

63 Union Terminal Tower Showing Solders’ and Sailors’ Monument, Cleveland, Ohio

scan0061.jpg

C.28 – Aerial View of Downtown, Cleveland, Ohio

scan0047.jpg

C.3 - Aerial View of Downtown, Cleveland, Ohio, Showing Terminal Tower and Terminal Group

scan0049.jpg

Reverse side:  I could only imagine what happened on trains back in the day; alright Margie!

scan00402.jpg

73 Cleveland Public Auditorium, Showing Terminal Tower, Cleveland, Ohio

scan0046.jpg

3 Interior of the Cleveland Public Auditorium, Cleveland, Ohio

scan0053.jpg

28 Night Scene, Hotel Cleveland and Terminal Tower, Cleveland, Ohio

scan0055.jpg

27 Unique Shot of Terminal Tower, Cleveland, Ohio

scan0058.jpg

211: Public Square Showing Terminal Tower at Night, Cleveland, Ohio

scan0064.jpg

38 Unique View, Terminal View and Old Stone Church, Cleveland, Ohio

scan0067.jpg

C.39 Hotel Cleveland, Terminal Tower and U.S. Post Office, Cleveland, Ohio

scan0062.jpg

32 Hotel Cleveland, Cleveland, Ohio

scan0059.jpg

26 New U.S. Post Office and Terminal Tower, Cleveland, Ohio

scan0060.jpg

Reverse side

scan00392.jpg

C.7 – Bird’s-Eye View of Cleveland City Hospital, Cleveland, Ohio

scan0048.jpg

94 – Bird’s-Eye View of Rockefeller Park, Cleveland, Ohio

scan0041.jpg

Reverse side

scan00412.jpg

97 Fine Arts Garden and Lake at Art Museum, Cleveland, Ohio

scan0044.jpg

16 Lake at Wade Park, Showing Severance Hall and Lakeside Hospital, Cleveland, Ohio

scan0051.jpg

34 University Circle, Showing Lakeside Hospital and Severance Hall, Cleveland, Ohio

scan0063.jpg

92 James A. Garfield Memorial, Cleveland, Ohio

scan0066.jpg

57 Fountain and Museum of Art, Cleveland, Ohio

scan0068.jpg

Awesome set!! And you bought all these for $5?? WOW!

And I love the comments on the reverse side. Those are just as enjoyable as the fronts.

thanks, these are great! The Cleve. Public Auditorium pic brings back memories of hearing the Metropolitan Opera there on a class trip (they used to come to Cleveland every spring). It was Beethoven's Fidelio and we were something like seventy rows back—not exactly the most user-friendly conditions for opera appreciation—then again neither was Fidelio:sleep:

ON pic C28..I don't understand?  How did people come downtown because there didn't seem to be enough surface parking lots! ;)  Also, in some of those other pics...what were those crazy things that carried people around the city on some sort of rails?....

wonderful floridaguy!

i used to pick up these postcards at the late, lamented chelsea fleamarket here in ny for some change or a buck or two. we had some postcard threads, but sadly they were lost in the server problems.  :|

below a few i had found -- but you certainly did a much better job of scanning and posting about them than i did:

scan0012pf8.jpgscan0017nh1.jpg

Those are quaint. As KJP mentioned it is the comments that make them even better. I thought I finally found an avatar in the one with the flowers in the flats looking toward the high level bridge, but I could not resize it.  :cry: This new softare is killing me.

What a great deal for $5! I prowl flea markets and antique shops and like to pick up linen postcards, but I've never seen 100 for $5. I's far more common to see $5 apiece.

can anyone assist me in finding detailed ground shots of eastside neighborhoods ? i looked on clevelandmemory but couldnt find much. its important as im lookin to buy property and want to know what stood there.......

aerials would work too

any more pics are welcome here

Unless it's along a major thoroughfare like Euclid or at an important intersection like Superior/East 105th, it will be difficult to find pictures. And searching on ClevelandMemory is a bit funky. Like most search engines, you have to experiment with search terms to see what combinations (or lack of them -- simplifying helps too) work best.

I believe that's the intersection of West 6th and Superior. The view is probably from the Forest City House Hotel, which is where the Renaissance Cleveland Hotel is today.

can anyone assist me in finding detailed ground shots of eastside neighborhoods ? i looked on clevelandmemory but couldnt find much. its important as im lookin to buy property and want to know what stood there.......

aerials would work too

any more pics are welcome here

Why not try Sanborn maps?  They should give you a good indication.

Whereabout on the East Side are you buying property?

It's funny how having so many smaller buildings in comparison to their modern replacements makes the city seem so much larger.  These pictures say all that needs to be said to people who think having a 70 story skyscraper is better than having several smaller buildings.  The Termial Tower just blows everything away in scale.  Love it.

It's funny how having so many smaller buildings in comparison to their larger modern replacements makes the city seem so much larger. These pictures say all that needs to be said to people who think having a 70 story skyscraper is better than having several smaller buildings. The Termial Tower just blows everything away in scale. Love it.

"Our anxiety - about the past, about memory - is in direct proportion to our success in destroying it."

-Rem Koolhaas, in "Endless City"