zaceman

Cleveland: Historic Photos

Hi All, Great picture, can't get enough of the church of the holy oil can. ;-) Also the fountains are the Lenard C. Hanna Fountains and they were located on Mall B over the convention center. The fountains were built in the early 60's and dedicated in 1964. Bear hugz to all. Jim S.

btw where were those fountains located??

Mall B, where the grass patch is now, with the cool "windblown" scuptures.

If I am not mistaken...I think the fountains only were operational for one year.  But I might be wrong.  I know they stayed around for a LONG time, empty and rusting

If I am not mistaken...I think the fountains only were operational for one year.  But I might be wrong.  I know they stayed around for a LONG time, empty and rusting

It's a shame they're not still around and operational; they looked pretty cool in those pics.

What happened to the hanna fountains?  why and when were they removed?

The Hanna Fountains were on Mall B (between lakeside and st. clair).  The were on the mall for many years and were spectaular in summer, however they blocked a huge public space and in evenings could be dangerous as you stepped up to the fountains from lakeside or st. clair (now mall B is at grade).  You could literally sit on the side walls on (east 2 and east 6) but those walls created a bowl like affect, which isn't evident for the photos.  In addition, the boys would "work" the malls back in the day so during the day they "looked" nice but at night...it was an entirely different story.

After many years the fountains became obsolete and started to detriorate and cause damage to the convention center, so the fountains were replaced by the Cleveland Public Arts sculptures.

The fountains were a great part of the malls history but uninviting, and not a good use of public green space.  The fountains became obsolete like the ice rink at erieview tower.

your great grandfather had a great eye. These are beautiful, this city looks vibrant.  I love the b/w.  Thanks for getting this on-line!!

btw, that might have been the last year the Browns won anything!  ;)

This picture was taken in December 1937, with the snow cover making this aerial view look almost as if it were of a model. Look at how much the then-new Cleveland Union Terminal complex dominated the downtown area. The image comes from:

http://top20cleveland.com/

Cleveland_ohio_1937.jpg

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

But wait, where's the Inner Belt bridge? (just kidding)

Very cool picture - picked out not only the Terminal but also the Ameritech bldg, 75 Public Square with its white top, Huntington, Burnham plan buildings, Keith bldg.  Fenn Tower looks so lonely way to the right.  Too bad the West Side Market didn't make the bottom left corner.

Also note that the Richard M. Burton Main Avenue High Level Bridge (Memorial Shoreway) wasn't yet built. It was built in the late 1930s as a WPA project, but it doesn't look like construction (or demolition for that matter) has even begun.

Also visible... the pedestrian promenade built over the lakefront tracks for the 1936-37 Great Lakes Exposition (just to the right of Cleveland Municipal Stadium) is still in place.

Wow - great pic.  I would sure love to see more pics like this!

Check out www.clevelandmemory.com if you haven't already. There are more historical pictures in there than you can look at in a month (and I mean non-stop viewing).

Wow - great pic.  I would sure love to see more pics like this!

Check out www.clevelandmemory.com if you haven't already. There are more historical pictures in there than you can look at in a month (and I mean non-stop viewing).

Wow, that's a heck of a site, so many great pics.  Thanks for the tip KJP.

i went scan crazy this afternoon on an old fold-up accordian style cleveland souvenir postcard packet. i dk the date i cant read the (one cent!) postal stamp & there is no other date info so use your best guess. 1920's? it was published by j. saperstein cleveland, ohio. i got it for a couple bucks at the chelsea flea market in manhattan, it was mailed to someone in williamsburg, brooklyn.

my fav is the beachhouse at edgewater --->  hello? somebody bring that back asap!  :whip:

i dk how well these will come out i dont use the scanner much -- but here goes:

scan0001ru2.jpg

scan0002ep6.jpg

^1. boating, garfield park

2. euclid avenue, looking east from square

3. rocky river, lakewood, ohio

scan0003hl9.jpg

^1. public square

2. boating, gordon park

3. the great ship "seeanbee" landing at new C & B line piers, foot 9th street

scan0004yn3.jpg

^1. the cleveland public hall

2. statler hotel

3. lake in rockefeller park

scan0005xa4.jpg

^1. northeast view of public square

2. new county courthouse

3. hotel cleveland

scan0006uh2.jpg

^1. new city hall

2. soldiers and sailors monument, public square

3. entrance to cleveland harbor

scan0007cg3.jpg

^1. euclid avenue and east 9th street

2. intersection of euclid avenue and huron road

3. C & B line, "the great ship seeanbee," daily between cleveland and buffalo

largest and most costly steamer passenger steamer on inland waters in the world.

actual dimensions - length 500 feet; breadth 98 feet 6 inches; 510 staterooms

and parlors accommodating 1500 passengers

scan0009dh9.jpg

^1. superior arcade

scan0008la4.jpg

^1. bathing beach, edgewater park

scan0010lv6.jpg

^bonus --- ohio knitting mills --- i picked this up last summer, it's been up on our fridge  :wink2:

ok here's the rest of my solo old postcards. i added the dates they were mailed when possible. i paid between a dime to a dollar for them over the years again mostly at the chelsea market. i am upping the pic sizeon the host to see what happens (i can see i need to learn how to crop them and eww sorry about that hair thing  :laugh:):

scan0012ia3.jpg

^1. interior of the cleveland public auditorium

2. entrance to hotel hollenden -- 1955

3. cleveland greyhound terminal -- 1951

scan0013on5.jpg

^1. horticultural gardens stadium and boat docks -- 1947

2. lorain carnegie bridge and union terminal -- 1942

3. bathing beach, edgewater park -- 1947

scan0014eq9.jpg

^1. public square and union terminal tower -- 1934

2. playhouse square, looking east -- 1950

3. lake at wade park, showing severance hall and lakeside hospital -- 1926

scan0015nm7.jpg

^1. interior of st. agnes church, euclid ave and east 81st

2. bird's-eye view of cleveland municipal stadium and downtown -- 1946

3. euclid avenue from public square -- 1928

scan0016wa6.jpg

^1. every day scene on public square -- 1912

2. night scene, luna park

3. public auditorium

scan0018xf6.jpg

^1. ore boat unloading at steel mills on cuyahoga river -- 1942

2. night scene of cleveland's east side from terminal tower -- 1941

3. detroit superior high level bridge and terminal tower -- 1945

scan0017nh1.jpg

^1. sheraton-cleveland hotel

2. the hollenden -- 1926

Except for that "night view of the East Side" and maybe a couple other things, much of what you posted still looks pretty much the same. It's nice to be reminded of what we've managed to save, rather than what we've lost, for a change!

Luna Park is a new one for me (as was Gordon Gardens, Puritas Springs Park and White City)  ... after four years in Cleveland, it's neat to suddenly discover things about its history. Or perchance I'm just one big urban nerd ... speaking of which, does anyone know of any stores locally that sell original Cleveland postcards like the one in this thread? A co-worker gave me a postcard of the Old Courthouse years ago, but I forgot where he got it.

Luna Park opened in 1905 and proved to be Euclid Beach's most memorable competitor. Copied from the Coney Island park of the same name, Luna Park was a fantasy of "Oriental" architecture and electric lights. The 35-acre grounds were bounded by Woodland Ave., Woodhill, Mt. Carmel, and E. 110th St. The park was served by several local streetcar lines. The site is hilly, and patrons climbed a steep flight of stairs or later rode an early escalator to reach the gate ...

... More at http://home.nyc.rr.com/johnmiller/luna.html.

i don't know why, but when i think of non-existant city attractions (i.e. luna park), why do I automatically assume its projects today?

Must be some type of public land connection there.

8shades,

Great find. I'm working on a small project on E110 and Woodland. Its fascinating to hear about that area.

Wimwar, do you know that was called "The Bloody Corner" during Prohibition? Look up "Cleveland Corn Sugar War" on Google and you'll see what comes up.

BTW, sad to see St. Agnes church in there. What a huge loss. And does the Seeanbee look like it's 5,000 feet long, not 500 feet? Pretty typically of promotional postcards to literally stretch the truth to the point of overdoing it.

Okay, anyone who has gone on a walking tour with me has heard me blather on about the Superior Avenue staircase in the Arcade. I'm always saying it's not original, and that it used to be in a Y-shape and I always point out the remnants of it. Finally, after years and years of looking - I have proof! See? I'm NOT crazy*!!!

oldarcadeoriginalstair.jpg

*Okay, I'm crazy but I know what I'm talking about! :-D

Nifty.  So classy and delicate.  When was the staircase switched?

Do you have any 80s shots showing those hanging banners with stylized depictions of iconic Cleveland scenes and landmarks?  I really dug those and wonder if they were trashed or are sitting in some storage locker somewhere.

Nifty.  So classy and delicate.  When was the staircase switched?

Do you have any 80s shots showing those hanging banners with stylized depictions of iconic Cleveland scenes and landmarks?  I really dug those and wonder if they were trashed or are sitting in some storage locker somewhere.

Do you mean these?

arcade_1979.jpg

Sorry for the hijack, Shawn. :oops:

Do you mean these?

arcade_1979.jpg

Yup, thanks Rob.  Your photo collection never fails to impress.

I also like the ferns and other greenery from your shot, Rob.  I just remember the place having such a great golden/green glow from the plants, the brass, the glass and the skylight.

I haven't been back in a couple years but I do remember how jarringly sterile it looked just after the hotel renovation but maybe it looks a little more lived-in now?  Anyone have recent photos?