Sign in to follow this  
C-Dawg

Yet Another Reason to Love Fox News...

This network is on a roll lately.....

1. Alter the 'top 10' GOP candidates in a Quinnipiac poll by eliminating Rand Paul

2. Spend less than 1 1/2 minutes on the Duggar admission of molesting young girls

3. Gloss over the indictment of former GOP House Speaker Dennis Haskert

I would expect nothing else from that propaganda mill.

[/quot

All news outlets are propaganda/slanted in one way or another. It's only propaganda if you disagree with it lol.

^ I think the good question becomes "why are news outlets slanted."

Who is spinning the political narrative? What's the purpose?

It can't all be about ratings.

^^False equivalency..... a daily special on the Fox News menu.

Sure, MSNBC and several other media outlets lean heavily to the left and are not shy about it.  But there truly are news outlets which are not meaningfully slanted, unless you are viewing them from the perspective of one fringe or another.

A lot of Fox programming on their other networks is quite liberal, such as on shows with actors. Fox News' slant is about the money and little more.

A lot of Fox programming on their other networks is quite liberal, such as on shows with actors. Fox News' slant is about the money and little more.

It's certainly partly about the money, and their production values aim for a more entertaining presentation than most news shows, which I'm sure has to do with ratings and money.  However, there's no denying that Roger Ailes intended Fox News to move the center of cable news (and broadcast news) rightward from where it was before FNC debuted.  It is both a commercial and political project--inseparable, but distinct.

Mere product differentiation if you ask me.

How does that explain what appears to be a media pattern of exclusion regarding Ron/Rand Paul? That's more than product differentiation. I have yet to hear any serious attention given to what could very well be collusion on behalf of the major media.

Anyhow, in the topic of non-differentiating media, does anyone on here remember the year 2000 when the term "gravitas" came out of nowhere; and the term was used as an indictment of George W Bush?  Rush Limbaugh actually ran a reel of virtually every media person suddenly using the word, it was ridiculous. It was as if each reporter in America got a memo from their producer mandating that they use the term to question Bush's competency. It's really fascinating when you think about it.

It's certainly partly about the money, and their production values aim for a more entertaining presentation than most news shows, which I'm sure has to do with ratings and money.  However, there's no denying that Roger Ailes intended Fox News to move the center of cable news (and broadcast news) rightward from where it was before FNC debuted.  It is both a commercial and political project--inseparable, but distinct.

Roger Ailes did the same thing with Rush Limbaugh, the primary focus is the entertainment value.  That's how you gain audience.

Rush has offered to "train" a liberal counterpart a few times, in fact he specifically made that offer to Al Sharpton.

Air America failed because it was too earnest.

Mere product differentiation if you ask me.

How does that explain what appears to be a media pattern of exclusion regarding Ron/Rand Paul? That's more than product differentiation. I have yet to hear any serious attention given to what could very well be collusion on behalf of the major media.

I think they don't get ratings because they're not explosive enough. They're thinkers.

I'm sure there are players who conspire to marginalize Paul, because this is politics. But the reason I think the media behaves the way it does toward Paul is that he is in some way riding the political legacy of his father, and the other men that were in the same political theater mold if not politics itself of Nader, Perot, Pickens, etc. They've been trained to treat him that way over years and years of experience.

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

This Bill O’Reilly piece on #homeless people might be the worst #FoxNews segment ever: http://t.co/ZVJLILLMD2 http://t.co/crQvZZk6wY

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

^ That's actually a great piece. The far right wingers will find it 'on point', the far left will be up in arms over how 'offensive' it is to their delicate sensibilities, and the rest of us will just smirk and move on.

Too much anger. Everybody needs a hug.

Cable news doesn't sound like a good long-term investment...

"The median age for CNN viewers this year was 61, while it was 63 for MSNBC and 67 for Fox News" - MEDIAN AGES!!!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/31/business/media/fox-news-holds-its-lead-in-a-year-of-growth-for-cable-news.html?_r=0

Cable news in a vacuum might not sound like a great long term investment, but the cable news companies are generally part of larger media empires and they're well aware that Millennials may need to be reached through other channels (no pun intended).

How much does the GOP establishment hate Trump? Well, they're actually going to give the lefties some air time...

Clinton to appear on Fox News for first time in years for prime-time special with Sanders https://t.co/hKTLQcZAW8 https://t.co/QEdiijsd5m

How much does the GOP establishment hate Trump? Well, they're actually going to give the lefties some air time...

Clinton to appear on Fox News for first time in years for prime-time special with Sanders https://t.co/hKTLQcZAW8 https://t.co/QEdiijsd5m

It's not just the "Establishment".  The bulk of my friends who were active in the Tea Party don't like him either.

^The phrase "Tea Party darling" has no real meaning and I'm not sure it ever did.  Cruz is logically a favorite of people who identify with the Tea Party, and Cruz and Trump are at each other's throats constantly...... although, substantively, I am not sure about what exactly.  Meanwhile, Trump has the endorsement of Mrs. Tea Party herself, Sarah Palin.  Most of the polling data I have seen shows a fairly even split of Tea Party support.

^The phrase "Tea Party darling" has no real meaning and I'm not sure it ever did.  Cruz is logically a favorite of people who identify with the Tea Party, and Cruz and Trump are at each other's throats constantly...... although, substantively, I am not sure about what exactly.  Meanwhile, Trump has the endorsement of Mrs. Tea Party herself, Sarah Palin.  Most of the polling data I have seen shows a fairly even split of Tea Party support.

It goes beyond that.  Most established "conservatives" seem to back Cruz, but have nowhere near the emnity for any of the other candidates that we have for Drumpf.  Mostly because he's fake.

It goes beyond that.  Most established "conservatives" seem to back Cruz, but have nowhere near the emnity for any of the other candidates that we have for Drumpf.  Mostly because he's fake.

Its not that the Republican Party establishment loves Cruz (in fact they likely hate his guts).  But if given a choice between Trump and Cruz, they'll go with Cruz.  At least Cruz is capable of running a disciplined campaign that wouldn't harm the down-ticket Senate and House races.  A Trump nomination could wreak havoc on those candidates and lose them the Senate.

I saw a quote somewhere by, I think, Lindsay Graham to the effect of- "If you stabbed Ted Cruz to death on the Senate floor in front of all the Senators and held the trial in the Senate you wouldn't get a conviction."

^You're falling for the headline trap!

Anyway, to save people from having to read the dumb thing, it's funny because the "payments" the headline refers to are the total ex presidents pension/benefit program, and (knock on wood for the others), the number of ex-presidents is increasing by 20% next year. Scandal!

Maybe Obama just doesn't want to come out of the white house "dead broke" and "in debt" like the multi-millionaire Clintons' did!

Maybe Obama just doesn't want to come out of the white house "dead broke" and "in debt" like the multi-millionaire Clintons' did!

Stop being so "moderate".

I get that being moderate makes one come off as far right wing on here, but that was (mostly) a joke. That's one of my favorite Clinton gaffes, as it really speaks to how out of touch the ultra wealthy political elite are with the people they supposedly care about.

I thought it was funny. Honestly, I'm all for means testing post presidential benefits. And whether it's Mrs Romney's tuna and pasta or Hillary, all these exaggerated being broke comments annoy me immensely.

I get that being moderate makes one come off as far right wing on here, but that was (mostly) a joke. That's one of my favorite Clinton gaffes, as it really speaks to how out of touch the ultra wealthy political elite are with the people they supposedly care about.

Actually, you don't get the joke about you continually calling yourself "moderate" in political threads over the past month...

As a moderate myself...

As someone who's fairly moderate politically...

As a political moderate ...

...when you act as "moderate" as Fox News is "fair and balanced"!

^ If it were legal, I'd take a selfie with my ballot for you in November.  Consider this an invitation to come with my to my precinct and peak over my shoulder, though. You'd probably be really surprised next year when Cincinnati votes for mayor and council. It's all relative - I'm moderate in the real world, but in a forum like this it's not going to seem that way.

^ If it were legal, I'd take a selfie with my ballot for you in November.  Consider this an invitation to come with my to my precinct and peak over my shoulder, though. You'd probably be really surprised next year when Cincinnati votes for mayor and council. It's all relative - I'm moderate in the real world, but in a forum like this it's not going to seem that way.

You do a fantastic job of keeping up your "moderate" facade.

I'll give Ram that he is no wing-nut.  In that sense, he is a "moderate."  But then so am I ;)  Hell, in my particular environment, I really am moderate.

I think 75% of people are moderate when you really get down to it. Even people that vote straight tickets one way or the other usually don't agree with everything on their party's platform if you ask them about it, they just disagree with more on the other side's platform.

Welp, Gretchen Carlson being fired from Fox for not having sex with Roger Ailes clears up the mystery of Hannity's continued employment...

Gretchen Carlson of Fox News Files Suit Against Roger Ailes

07CARLSON-master768.jpg

Gretchen Carlson, the longtime Fox News anchor, filed a lawsuit on Wednesday saying that Roger Ailes, the powerful chairman of Fox News, fired her from the network last month after she refused his sexual advances and complained to him about discriminatory treatment in the newsroom.

The nature of Ms. Carlson’s allegations immediately transfixed the world of television news, where Mr. Ailes is a hugely influential figure known for demanding absolute loyalty from his employees.

A spokeswoman for Fox News did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The lawsuit — filed in Superior Court in New Jersey, where Mr. Ailes maintains a residence — portrays the Fox chairman as a serial sexual harasser, charging that he ogled Ms. Carlson in his office, called her “sexy” and frequently made sexually charged comments about her physical appearance.

More below:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/07/business/media/gretchen-carlson-fox-news-roger-ailes-sexual-harassment-lawsuit.html?_r=0

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

JUST IN: Fox News Corp Enters Panic Mode As 10 More Women Come Forward With Abuse Allegations

http://bipartisanreport.com/2016/07/06/just-in-fox-news-corp-enters-panic-mode-as-10-more-women-come-forward-with-abuse-allegations/

^ Add in a few dozen more claims and some rapes and he's almost as bad as Bill Clinton, our potential next first man.

^ Something that might play well on Fox News but not a compelling legal defense for Roger Ailes if these sexual harassment charges against him end up in court.

^ Add in a few dozen more claims and some rapes and he's almost as bad as Bill Clinton, our potential next first man.

Did I miss something? Was he ever convicted of something? If not, it's pure slander. Oh wait, that IS Fox News..

Seriously, what is Fox News' obsession with the New Black Panther Party?  It is the only place I ever hear of them or see them on TV.  And it is always the same two guys, in footage taken last decade.