Sign in to follow this  
C-Dawg

Yet Another Reason to Love Fox News...

Many moderators recommend taking it off line.  I was following their lead!

gee, peabody, you haven't accused me of anything in a while!  Welcome back!

You people have no sense of humor!

FOX = biased coverage and an embarrasment to journalism.  Putting aside all the typical "I know you are but what am I" BS responses, I think we can ALL agree on that.

It's harassment, and should be forwarded to his email provider's abuse department... usually it's "abuse@domainname.com" (i.e., for a Hotmail account, it would be abuse@hotmail.com).

If it's coming from his work email or happening during normal business hours, I'm sure it wouldn't take much effort to track down an email address for Procter & Gamble's human resources and/or IT department.

Maybe public education and paying teachers like we value them isn't so bad after all?

BiYtDHTCQAAaak4.png:large

"Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you Buddy? It's the free market. And you're a part of it." -- Gordon Gekko.

Not FOX News per se... but did anyone watch Cosmos on Sunday?  Pretty good stuff. I totally remember watching Sagan's show back in the day as a kid.

One one channel Fox says that the world is billions of years old and on another it's only 5,000. Even FOX doesn't believe their own bullshit. FOX News merely exists to trick conservatives into thinking FOX agrees with them while selling them reverse mortgages.

... Sean Hannity.  Or rather, when Sean Hannity builds up a Nevada cattle rancher into a "folk hero".  Said Nevada rancher, Cliven Bundy, attracted the attention of Sean Hannity and Fox News when, after some 20 years of grazing his cattle on federal lands without paying the required grazing fees, accrued $1 million in fees and fines.  Then, after 4 different court judgements failed to collect on said accrued fees and fines, federal authorities decided that if Cliven Bundy refused to make any payments toward that $1 million, they would have to collect the cattle in lieu of payment.

When federal authorities attempted to collect the cattle, an armed standoff ensued.  And when armed outsiders travelled to Nevada to join in on the Bundy's side, the federal authorities backed off.  However, when the armed freedom bridages stayed in Nevada to be interviewed over and over and over by Fox News and Sean Hannity in particular, that attracted the attention of Jon Stewart and The Daily Show.  Below are the first two Daily Show segments laying out the background of Bundy v. U.S. and picking up the Sean Hannity coverage:

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/v4jh6e/apocalypse-cow

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/ucrk7y/apocalypse-cow---welfare-rancher

One confusing part of the Bundy v. U.S. case was the legal jusification Cliven Bundy used to refuse payment of grazing fees on federally-owned land - the jusification of "I don't recognize the federal government as existing" defense.  Which was all the more interesting since Fox News showed Bundy in multiple heroic videos riding on horseback holding an American flag.  Said Stars & Stripes being ample evidence that the federal government does in fact exist.

Then Jon Stewart pointed out that Sean Hannity had previously said "people can't pick and choose which laws to obey and which laws to ignore" on issues of immigration, presidential authority and atheists challenging public religious displays.  Stewart further pointed out that Hannity has been very much against people scamming off the taxpapers and being welfare cheats.  But in this case, Hannity seems all too willing to go along with letting Cliven Bundy choose which laws to obey and ignore and apparently has no problem with supporting this "welfare rancher".

Well, this criticism did not sit well with Sean Hannity.  Who responded to Jon Stewart on his next program.  Which, as MSNBC's Joe Scarborough could've told Sean Hannity, was a bad idea.  A few years ago Stewart chided Scarborough for changing his "Morning Joe" program to "Morning Joe - brewed by Starbucks" as being an example of selling out journalistic principles for a (Star)buck.  Just as Scarborough tried to a outwit Stewart, Hannity tried the same strategy.  The reason this is a bad idea, is that Hannity directly responding to The Daily Show only gives The Daily Show more material to use against Hannity. 

Such as pointing out how Hannity thought the government response to Cliven Bundy was excessive, yet seeing nothing wrong with the excessive pepper spraying of Occupy Wall Street protesters on a college campus.  Such as pointing out how Hannity thought Stop-and-Frisk laws were fine because "you don't want to tie the hands of law enforcement".  But those same virtues somehow turn into evils when applied to someone Hannity is promoting as a patriotic folk hero.  Plus, there was the fact that one of Hannity's heroes - President George Washington - put down a similar anti-tax rebellion with federal troops during his presidency (i.e. The Whiskey Rebellion).

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/o9sv2p/grazed-and-confused

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/qjwxgb/grazed-and-confused---hannity-obsession

Then, only one day later, in a freudenschade-laden twist, a Cliven Bundy video emerged that showed Hannity's big ole patriot was a big ole racist.  In the video, Cliven Bundy mused on "the Negro" and wondered if they "were better off as slaves, picking cotton".  Yes, he really did say that!

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/yg0l9e/the-welfare-rancher-on-the-merits-of-slavery

But as wonderous as seeing the inflation of the Cliven Bundy balloon explode in Hannity's and Fox News' face, it was Stephen Colbert who had the funniest recap of the Sean Hannity-Cliven Bundy fiasco.  Colbert decided to follow Sean Hannity's lead and promote him as well.  And since every folk hero deserves a folk song, Colbert sang "The Ballad of Cliven Bundy".  After three rousing verses touting Bundy's greatness, Stephen tells Cliven to take the next verse - which is the video of him that starts with Bundy saying "I want to tell you one more thing I know about the Negro."  At which point, Colbert abruptly stops the song saying "well, that's enough of the song!".

http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/ehanpl/the-ballad-of-cliven-bundy

So thank you Sean Hannity.  Without you, we never would have got to know Cliven Bundy.  And just how much Sean Hannity supports him.  Now, when you think of Cliven Bundy, the racist welfare rancher from Nevada, you also think of Sean Hannity!

Hannity is no intellectual, that's for sure. Or if he is, he does an excellent job masking it on tv/radio. He operates almost solely on whiny emotion, which is ironic since that's what bleeding heart liberals are supposed to be doing. 

Hannity and Stewart are two sides to the same lame coin. They're both playing characters and doing it very well - completely winning over their audience while looking a bit obnoxious to everyone else.

TV news programs (and the Daily Show counts, as anything on any of the major networks has slipped so far that they’re all equally uninformative) are part of the reason I stopped paying for cable years ago and let Google aggregate the important news and several sources for me.

I'm surprised this thread got unlocked, I wonder how long that will last?

what's most unfortunate is that there's so little in terms of legit news available.  CNN devotes so little time to hard news stories, they spend majority of time talking about the missing plane & getting comments on other peoples comments about Donald Sterling's comments... 

The only actual news program I enjoy & learn something from is Fareed Zakaria.  He actually investigates & reports stories in detail

Stewart is a comedic act and his entire audience realizes it.  Hannity claims to be a journalist and his entire audience believes it.  Comparing the two is like comparing a slapstick movie and one that is so bad it is unintentionally funny

Stewart is very mean spirited.  pointing at and mocking half the population to roaring liberal support and being a comedian are different things.  just because its funny doesn't mean it's unbiased or less partisan.

^^good lord, but Limbaugh is not?? O'Reilly?? I use them as examples because they're commentary is equally laughable.

Stewart is a comedic act and his entire audience realizes it. 

That is so not true!  Plenty of Gen X folks watch him exclusively to "get their news" and think they are staying informed by doing it.  I'd love to see a little data cross referencing the Daily Show viewers & what other news programs they also watch regularly

Stewart is very mean spirited.  pointing at and mocking half the population to roaring liberal support and being a comedian are different things.  just because its funny doesn't mean it's unbiased or less partisan.

He really doesn't do that.  He mocks the media, not just Fox News, and he mocks politicians of all stripes.  Yeah, Daily Show is basically liberal, but the fact that you guys are trying to compare his Comedy Central mock news program to "real" news programs on Fox News would provide Stewart with some good fodder in and of itself.

In retrospect, starting a thread like this was not the most mature decision. It was just asking for a can of worms to be opened...

Luckily, I no longer work in the news media, so my anger has turned into sadness and empathy for my friends still in the business. From what I'm hearing from old colleagues now in Columbus, Chicago, New York, Boston, DC, and many other markets, things today are markedly worse than just a few years ago. A lot of important stories just aren't being covered anymore. Investigative units have been slashed to the bone. Foreign correspondence? Ha! It's tougher than ever for a journalist who wants to cover hard news. My heart goes out to the men and women still fighting the battle. There are still a lot of good people in the industry (even Fox), but the numbers are so unrealistically low, that there just isn't the manpower to have the type of in-depth coverage we enjoyed in the past in America.

The kids today want top 10 click bait and trolling garbage. I'd rather kids watch Fox News than read Buzzfeed or Thought Catalog. Buzzfeed is a big step down from even Fox News. This click-bait social media crap is dominating young audience and could spell the death of real news as we know it. I fear we've headed to a much worse world filled with willful ignorance. While biased, mainstream news outlets at least keep their viewers aware of current events and basic stuff like their local mayors, city councilmen, representatives, etc.

Nowadays, I am completely shocked by the number of college grads who can't even name the mayor of their city or their representatives in Congress. Yes, things have gotten that bad, and I think at least part of it is due to them not looking at hard news sites. Even Fox News is better than nothing. :|

This is really dangerous stuff in any democratic nation. It is possible for leaders to get away with unprecedented levels of corruption if voters don't pay attention to what is going on in their city, county, state, and nation.

This is really dangerous stuff in any democratic nation. It is possible for leaders to get away with unprecedented levels of corruption if voters don't pay attention to what is going on in their city, county, state, and nation.

That's kind of the point.  Well, not exactly.  It's possible for the government to get away with a lot of power aggrandizement, which can manifest itself as corruption, overreach, violation of basic civil liberties, etc.

Just look at the latest media flurry about kids getting in trouble for refusing to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance.  My God, that's been settled Constitutional law for over seventy years, and districts still seem to think they can get away with it.  My understanding is (at least) Bedford does it too.

The roots of this are in education.  Fox and the websites are reacting to a trend, not driving it.

news-sources-fdu.jpg

According to this article those who watch Fox News for almost all of their information are less informed about both domestic issues and international issues than those who have no news exposure at all.

The Daily Show viewers are second best informed on global issues (after NPR), and third best informed on domestic issues.

That is so not true!  Plenty of Gen X folks watch him exclusively to "get their news" and think they are staying informed by doing it.  I'd love to see a little data cross referencing the Daily Show viewers & what other news programs they also watch regularly

I hear this meme a lot from conservatives.  First of all, nobody watches the Daily Show "exclusively to get their news."  You might happen to get some news in the process, but nobody watches it exclusively for that purpose.  To the extent they don't watch other cable news programs, are you honestly surprised?  Most young people, whether liberal or conservative, don't watch cable news.  Fox News's audience, for instance, is dominated by the elderly.  I read somewhere that more than half of its viewers are over 68 years old.  Certainly not to the same degree, but I'm sure CNN and MSNBC also have older than average demographics in their viewing audience.

Another thing you are not considering is that liberals disproportionately favor 'getting their news' through the print media.  That stat has probably significantly diminished to the extent you consider all of these far-right wing websites (which are increasingly dominating any google search) to be 'print media'.  But, point being, just because you don't watch cable news doesn't mean you don't get your news.  I personally don't watch much cable news (or any other TV news) if there is not a story I am interested in.  I still get my news.

And, BTW, for those who claim that Stewart is not an equal opportunity satirist, check out his skewering of Harry Reid

In retrospect, starting a thread like this was not the most mature decision. It was just asking for a can of worms to be opened...

Luckily, I no longer work in the news media, so my anger has turned into sadness and empathy for my friends still in the business. From what I'm hearing from old colleagues now in Columbus, Chicago, New York, Boston, DC, and many other markets, things today are markedly worse than just a few years ago. A lot of important stories just aren't being covered anymore. Investigative units have been slashed to the bone. Foreign correspondence? Ha! It's tougher than ever for a journalist who wants to cover hard news. My heart goes out to the men and women still fighting the battle. There are still a lot of good people in the industry (even Fox), but the numbers are so unrealistically low, that there just isn't the manpower to have the type of in-depth coverage we enjoyed in the past in America.

The kids today want top 10 click bait and trolling garbage. I'd rather kids watch Fox News than read Buzzfeed or Thought Catalog. Buzzfeed is a big step down from even Fox News. This click-bait social media crap is dominating young audience and could spell the death of real news as we know it. I fear we've headed to a much worse world filled with willful ignorance. While biased, mainstream news outlets at least keep their viewers aware of current events and basic stuff like their local mayors, city councilmen, representatives, etc.

Nowadays, I am completely shocked by the number of college grads who can't even name the mayor of their city or their representatives in Congress. Yes, things have gotten that bad, and I think at least part of it is due to them not looking at hard news sites. Even Fox News is better than nothing. :|

Have you seen Vice?  Vice gives me hope that there is still a place for true journalism.  They've announced in the coming year a ton of new partnerships and other platforms for their content to live.

Have you seen Vice?  Vice gives me hope that there is still a place for true journalism.  They've announced in the coming year a ton of new partnerships and other platforms for their content to live.

I've seen some very strange documentaries from these folks. Just proves the world is....strange.

I'd prefer to get my news from sources without political affiliation. Say that would narrow down sources to 2 percent ha ha. It's easier to get info from the fringe "right" and "left" and just sort it all out yourself while keeping in mind their agenda.

I hear this meme a lot from conservatives.  First of all, nobody watches the Daily Show "exclusively to get their news."  You might happen to get some news in the process, but nobody watches it exclusively for that purpose.  To the extent they don't watch other cable news programs, are you honestly surprised?  Most young people, whether liberal or conservative, don't watch cable news.  Fox News's audience, for instance, is dominated by the elderly.  I read somewhere that more than half of its viewers are over 68 years old.  Certainly not to the same degree, but I'm sure CNN and MSNBC also have older than average demographics in their viewing audience.

Another thing you are not considering is that liberals disproportionately favor 'getting their news' through the print media.  That stat has probably significantly diminished to the extent you consider all of these far-right wing websites (which are increasingly dominating any google search) to be 'print media'.  But, point being, just because you don't watch cable news doesn't mean you don't get your news.  I personally don't watch much cable news (or any other TV news) if there is not a story I am interested in.  I still get my news.

And, BTW, for those who claim that Stewart is not an equal opportunity satirist, check out his skewering of Harry Reid

He tore Coakley to shreds when Scott Brown beat her.  But he sure seems to lean left, most of the time.

He is a Libertarian, for the most part.  He might not fit the definition of a "Libertarian" as that term has been hijacked as denoting a political party as opposed to a political/societal ideology.  He's not the more singularly focused anti-tax Libertarian.  But like a lot of political satirists, Bill Maher included, he is a 'what I put up my arse or in my mouth is my own da&& business' Libertarian.

As for him disproportionately skewering Fox News, well..... as a comedian, you have to work with the material that is handed to you and Fox News gives him a daily treasure trove

He tore Coakley to shreds when Scott Brown beat her.  But he sure seems to lean left, most of the time.

Facts lean left. So does humor, apparently. Whereas grouchiness tends to lean right, especially the curmudgeonly variety.

Facts lean left. So does humor, apparently. Whereas grouchiness tends to lean right, especially the curmudgeonly variety.

There may have been some truth to the humor part once.  Not since "political correctness" emerged. 

Indeed, un-PC humor and "disaster jokes" have replaced dirty jokes where shock value is concerned.

I've seen some very strange documentaries from these folks. Just proves the world is....strange.

I'd prefer to get my news from sources without political affiliation. Say that would narrow down sources to 2 percent ha ha. It's easier to get info from the fringe "right" and "left" and just sort it all out yourself while keeping in mind their agenda.

Vice certainly seems to have a liberal lean to it and you can see it come through quite plainly in their domestic stories, especially those on pot.  Their international pieces, however, are simply fantastic.  Especially the pieces on foreign conflicts (Ukraine, North Korea, Syria, etc.).

I tend to binge watch Vice because the short, information packed stories make it extremely easy to watch.  I also love that they're on HBO so that they can remain relatively uncensored.  I always feel like I'm being treated like a child when I watch sensitive stories network or basic cable TV.  I'd love to see them dive into more detail on a few of their stories (Kurds in Syria, Afghanistan reconstruction, anything North Korea).  Hopefully as they grow as a media group they'll be able to dive a little deeper into some of the more well received stories they've done.

In the future documentaries might be the last refuge of true investigative journalism.  Although, Vice might be more appropriately categorized as a newsmagazine the likes of Dateline and 60 Minutes.

Do facts lean left or do liers lean right?  Lately, I think I'd go with the latter.  And the proliferation of far right (and to a lesser extent left) wing websites has allowed many of the lies to gain traction and stick around far longer than they probably would have in the past.  I mean, the birther movement.  Honestly.  According the Gallup in April 2011, 44% of the population was either unsure or didn't believe President Obama was born in the United States.  These fringe websites provide what looks like evidence to many people, but in reality they are just baseless accusations and attempts to correlate unrelated facts.

^Vice announced a series of new programs that are going to be accessible via YouTube, streaming web, apps, etc.  Some of them look incredible.  One in particular takes a look at the various Black Markets that exist across the world, Heroin trade in Afghanistan, sex slavery in Far East, and guns in Detroit, to name but a few.