Sign in to follow this  
Guest the pope

Cleveland: Downtown: The 9 / Rotunda / County Admin Development

also, regarding the site plan that came out with this.  Apparently, as I thought, K&D wants to buy and demolish 1030 Euclid (the Truman building) for it's "cut through" around the tower... I'm not exactly sure what K&D's emphatuation with demolishing buildings for plazas and cut throughs is, but they are going to find this move rather difficult as the Truman building is on the National Historic Register.  I love the overall plan for this, and love even more that the tower is being saved, but someone needs to tell Doug Price to stop trying to demolish buildings on Euclid for no real reason.

Not really meant as a reply towards you, MyTwoSense.  Alot of people on this board have this ideal, which I share.  But it is one thing to have an ideal, another to apply it to another's circumstances without knowing if it really works for them. 

Cool  :wink:  I hear what you are saying and its easy to be an armchair developer without the financial package/model in hand to determine what will or will not work.  IMHO, that on the surface, it appears that it will be a block of over glorified parking spaces.

^ The Bitch is back.

HUSH!  :wink2:

So, how developed are the architectural plans for the not right side up pyramid?  Could the final design be significantly different?

also, regarding the site plan that came out with this.  Apparently, as I thought, K&D wants to buy and demolish 1030 Euclid (the Truman building) for it's "cut through" around the tower... I'm not exactly sure what K&D's emphatuation with demolishing buildings for plazas and cut throughs is, but they are going to find this move rather difficult as the Truman building is on the National Historic Register.  I love the overall plan for this, and love even more that the tower is being saved, but someone needs to tell Doug Price to stop trying to demolish buildings on Euclid for no real reason.

Being on the National Historic Register will not protect it from demo. Only a local designation will.

aww calm down mts, i think this development in whole will need a parking garage. heck, it's over a surface lot, no? i'm all for it.

the building demo/cut-thru not so much. still, i would wait and see about that until we have more details.

all of this does not seem carved in stone yet. nor is redevelopment likely to happen in any way other than very piecemeal, so that will give us plenty of time to debate the merits of each section. i doubt even the developers have it all pinned down as of yet.

From the PD:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ameritrust developer wants to hire Cleveland architect to design new downtown tower

Posted by Steven Litt/Plain Dealer Architecture Critic

January 28, 2008 19:06PM

http://blog.cleveland.com/architecture/2008/01/large_euclid.jpg

CAPTION: [Don't worry: Developer Doug Price said Monday he has no intention of building the crystalline glass mushroom shown in this rendering. He's going to aim higher and wants to give the assignment to a Cleveland architect.]

It was fantastic news Jan. 15 when The K&D Group, led by Chief Executive Douglas Price III, offered Cuyahoga County $35 million for the Ameritrust complex in downtown Cleveland.

The purchase means that someone who cares about preserving the 29-story Ameritrust Tower, the only tall office building ever completed by Modernist pioneer Marcel Breuer, will take the building off the hands of the county, which wanted to raze the structure to make way for a new administrative center...

http://blog.cleveland.com/architecture/2008/01/ameritrust_developer_wants_to.html

When I caught up with Price by phone today, he said the rendering, created by his development partner, architect Robert Corna, was "a quick concept to get something in the paper" and that he has no intention of building anything like it.

He said his ambition is to use a Cleveland architect to design the building, and that it was "not a foregone conclusion" that the designer would be Corna.

Thank you Doug Price.

"Bob is a component," Price said. "He's done some cool stuff and brings some good ideas to the project. But we know we need a top notch firm and that's what we're going to be looking for."

Price is right of course, but ouch, it can't feel good to hear that from your business partner!

Altogether, this could be very good news.

Let's hope so. Man .. I really hated that rendering. Whew!

I am, however, really excited about the Breuer building and rotunda being preserved. That is extremely good news.

Now lets hope this a W or Klimpton branded hotel.  It has to be something that works for the business community, the theater district and fit in with the growning neighborhood with a young demographic.

It's not like the W is this very expensive, ritzy hotel chain that exists only in Paris, Hong Kong, and New York.  It's basically the Ikea of hotels. 

The Breuer Tower would offer an interesting design opportunity for for them and anyother forward design thinking hotelier.

It's not like the W is this very expensive, ritzy hotel chain that exists only in Paris, Hong Kong, and New York.  It's basically the Ikea of hotels. 

The Breuer Tower would offer an interesting design opportunity for for them and anyother forward design thinking hotelier.

Ikea?  No they aren't.  I think you are confusing the "w hotels" with their "aloft" brand hotels which are being rolled out this year.

Ikea brand hotels are the Courtyard, Four Points & Hilton Garden Inns.

^I think w28th was referring to the affordable style nature of Ikea, which Courtyard, Four Points & Hilton Garden Inns definitely don't share.

W hotels aren't really affordable.  They are targeted to hip/trendy (and those wanting to be) 25-40 somethings, mostly male, high income earners.  In top of that, starwood has huge marketing tie-ins at their W & Westin brands for gay travellers as they are a high percentage of frequent guest at those two brands.

So yes.  I think a developer could place a W Hotel in Downtown Cleveland.  Hell if Minneapolis can get one, Cleveland certainly can.  Even if we don't get a W, need high profile hotel on that corner - Period!

I stayed at the Chicago Center City in the summer and it was $400 for 2 nights.  Not too bad.  And while it is better designed than most every other hotel, it has a certain contemporary cheapness that I relate to Ikea furniture.

I think we're talking about the same thing here MTS, Cleveland can certainly get one.

Also, straights like the W as well.

I stayed at the Chicago Center City in the summer and it was $400 for 2 nights.  Not too bad.  And while it is better designed than most every other hotel, it has a certain contemporary cheapness that I relate to Ikea furniture.

I think we're talking about the same thing here MTS, Cleveland can certainly get one.

Also, straights like the W as well.

I'm not saying that they don't.  Just mentioning the brands two largest target audiences.

i apologize if this has been asked before...but honestly i did a thorough search all through this site and the internet and found nothing...does anyone have pictures of what the view is like inside of the Marcel Bruer tower???  The 360 degree sightlines have to be amazing...The Jake, Downtown, Terminal Tower, looking North towards the lake, etc...anyone...MayDay?

sorry, didn't mean to bring down your scorn and contempt. :-).  It wasn't all that long ago... before they had actually made the decision to tear it down. This was also before i knew this board existed and there were other development dorks of my caliber that would be interested.  I had to laugh too at all i had heard about how terrible 1010 Euclid avenue was.  1010 would probably make for one of the nicest residence conversions in all of downtown... but what do i know.

Architect Robert Corna surprised that partner Doug Price wants fresh talent for tower

Posted by Steven Litt/Plain Dealer Architecture Critic January 30, 2008 15:03PM

Categories: Architecture

Cleveland architect Robert Corna was taken aback today when asked to comment about statements by his development partner, Doug Price III, who said it was "not a foregone conclusion" that Corna would design a new office tower as part of the downtown Ameritrust complex.

Speaking Monday, Price said, "we're going to be bringing in people to put several concepts together" for the new offrice tower.

He said that Corna, with whom he partnered on the Strongbridge housing development in the Flats, "is a component" of the project, but that "we know we need a top-notch firm and that's what we're going to be looking for."

Corna said, "I'm somewhat surprised at that comment. I have to talk to Doug about it."

Crain's

Ameritrust buyer seeks $15M loan from county

By STAN BULLARD and JAY MILLER

4:30 am, February 11, 2008

Cuyahoga County commissioners are weighing a proposal by K&D Group, the prospective buyer of downtown Cleveland’s Ameritrust complex, to hold a $15 million mortgage on the property for as much as two years.

http://crainscleveland.com/article/20080211/FREE/908616653&SearchID=73309782234961

Food for thought: Tucker Ellis & West might be starting a parade of tenants leaving the Huntington Building for the Flats with E&Y likely to follow.  Huntington Bank also is considering leaving the Huntington Building, so the Huntington Building could be left mostly empty.  But with the purchase of the Ameritrust Building by Cuyahoga County, the commissioners showed their interest in being at E9th & Euclid.  The commissioners, now considering the sale of Ameritrust to K&D, still have the need for consolidated office space.  Does it seem plausible that Cuyahoga County will lease all or part of the Huntington Building?  They might be able to get a grand headquarters like they were originally looking for but at a steep discount relative to the cost of redeveloping Ameritrust.  Obviously the county still has several options (EOG @ E9th & Superior, Pesht, May Co Bldg, etc. could work too). 

Not a bad thought at all.  Huntington is massive, has the grandeur you mentioned, has a garage, has the location they wanted all along...  who owns it and how much space could they really put together?  I've got to imagine that it'd be a lot more economical than tearing down a 29-story building and starting from scratch!

^That assumes the county's goal is saving money and not paying off old political favors.  Still can't believe the bad taste the Breuer tower disaster left in my mouth.

Seriously though, that could work pretty well if the owner could set aside enough contiguous space and allow the county to have its way with the ground floor.  Not sure how remaining tenants (assuming there are some) would like it though.

I do not think that the county needs to be centralized in the CBD in fact locating it midpoint on the Euclid corridor actually would work best.  The prosecutors are located in the Justice center so they are already close to the county court house.  I am still waiting for someone to present more of a reason for the county to be in a marketable district other than their own psychological ones. 

I don't think anyone argued that the County needs to be Downtown, they argued that Downtown benefits from having the County workers.  Do you think Downtown is strong enough to lose a few thousand more employees to another location?

Not really sure what the advantage of having the county in the middle of the Euclid Corridor is either.  Downtown is a natural position for the county because of it's mass transit options from BOTH the west and east side.

Willard park is good spot for the county. Its a useless park, plenty of allready "useable" greenspace nearby. Just leave the few large trees and space for the free stamp, shoehorn the building into the rest of the space, build a new garage on the hill near the tracks. Sell/use/raze old county space as part of a improved convention center.

EZ done for the county, but this all about bureaucracy and political favors when it comes to government.

Trust site. Hotel loby in the rotunda. Hotel pool in the bottom of the tower for guests and residents of the tower. Lower half of the tower is hotel, condos on the upper half, condo entrance on the tower. Raze off the back half "connctor" between the euclid building and the tower. Perhaps take off some of the building they want to raze for a plaza. Shoehorn an automated parking garage in that space. Fix up the back half of the buildings to concel the garage, make it residential. Raze the buildings on huron, create tiered wedding cake style office building there. Brick up the alley...maybe fix up the CAC building for residential, make it feel a bit more europian.