Cleveland: Downtown: The 9 / Rotunda / County Admin Development

Guest the pope

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is that they will do a good catering business at this location. 

Haven't thought of that.

If they have their awesome diy salad bar (and at the same price as burbs locations) then they'll already be filling an under served niche downtown.

I think we've already covered the parking ground pretty thoroughly upthread. There's no doubt this store format is a bit of a risk for Heinens, but by all accounts they're fully aware. The store doesn't have to be all things to all people to survive and we'll know in a few years if enough people are willing to shop there.

A few months more likely, and I suspect they will be.

I've discovered something as I move back and forth between plants many days:  even the suburban Heinens' are great places to grab a few things, and be in and out quickly.  Including lunch, to take back to work.

I would recommend they try opening early, to catch people going to work.

I really do not think they will have any trouble bringing in business... But I would strongly suggest they alter their hours at this location. Open early and stay open late, especially in the warmer months, people are always looking for a place to stop in for a coffee or dessert. This would be a great option

I really do not think they will have any trouble bringing in business... But I would strongly suggest they alter their hours at this location. Open early and stay open late, especially in the warmer months, people are always looking for a place to stop in for a coffee or dessert. This would be a great option

Agree re: expanded hours. The mere fact of being open on weekends would be huge for downtown.

At a suburban store, customers will fill their car every week or two with multiple bags of groceries. At the downtown store, customers will walk away with 1-3 bags of groceries every few days. And I suspect some customers may pick up items to cook for dinner almost every day.

And E Rocc is right. The prepared foods for lunch will be a big hit. It's probably the biggest source of foot traffic at Constantino's downtown. And given that the Heinen's will be a visual spectacle and possibly even a tourist attraction, I suspect it will draw a large amount of sit-down/eat-in business.

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

"Upthread" - tee hee....  You guys certain have come up with a lot of intelligent scenarios that might take place that this particular Heinen's.  I'm sure some of you are familiar with downtown-type supermarkets and how they stay in business without good parking.  As for the taxi suggestion and Cleveland becoming more "urban," I haven't noticed more taxis around Greater Cleveland.  Do downtown residents actually call taxis a lot?  If someone calls a taxi to go to a supermarket are you suggesting customers will be dropped off and call a cab when they're ready to leave, or that there will be a line of taxis outside Heinen's on the street, which I don't think will or can happen.

I grew up in downtown Rochester, which until the late 1980s or so had both Sibley's Grocery Department - a supermarket connected with a major department store - and a chain supermarket connected with Midtown Plaza.  They're both long gone, though there are surely many more well-off downtown residents now than then, as in all American cities.  I'm sure these markets were getting the uses you guys are mentioning here, but I know at least the Sibley's market offered delivery service to customers for many decades and hence did well.  I know many went downtown to shop and it was part of their trip, let alone all the office workers.

Do downtown residents actually call taxis a lot?  If someone calls a taxi to go to a supermarket are you suggesting customers will be dropped off and call a cab when they're ready to leave, or that there will be a line of taxis outside Heinen's on the street, which I don't think will or can happen.

Not taxis as you might be imagining but as a dt resident I use UberX and Lyft.  The actual yellow "taxi" services in this city are a joke, people use UberX and Lyft because they are cheaper, more reliable, and don't require cash on hand.

It's all wonderful, in every way, except one little tidbit:  many people who work downtown or who come there for business, and probably a good share of Greater Clevelanders, still want to purchase their heavy loads of grocerites and walk right out to the large, open parking lot with the bags

A workman last Friday also confirmed to me, with confidence, they are still planning to open in February.  I asked if there's a date and he said "probably late February."

I was told February 22nd by someone at Heinen's Corporate.

Off by three days. Store is set to open at 10am on February 25th.

http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/local/northeast-ohio/2015/01/12/heinens-store-opening-in-downtown-cleveland-set-for-feb-25/21650379/

It's all wonderful, in every way, except one little tidbit:  many people who work downtown or who come there for business, and probably a good share of Greater Clevelanders, still want to purchase their heavy loads of grocerites and walk right out to the large, open parking lot with the bags

A workman last Friday also confirmed to me, with confidence, they are still planning to open in February.  I asked if there's a date and he said "probably late February."

I was told February 22nd by someone at Heinen's Corporate.

Off by three days. Store is set to open at 10am on February 25th.

http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/local/northeast-ohio/2015/01/12/heinens-store-opening-in-downtown-cleveland-set-for-feb-25/21650379/

Two things: Speaking of 10 a.m, has the hours of operations been announced? Second, I know that the pictures inside aren't the finished store layout but I'm not a fan of how it is starting to look, yet at least the I'll hold final judgment until the end.

Two things: Speaking of 10 a.m, has the hours of operations been announced? Second, I know that the pictures inside aren't the finished store layout but I'm not a fan of how it is starting to look, yet at least the I'll hold final judgment until the end.

No, I haven't seen any announcement about store hours. And what don't you like about it? It's a unique space for a grocery store, so the layout is naturally going to be a bit different.

No, I haven't seen any announcement about store hours. And what don't you like about it? It's a unique space for a grocery store, so the layout is naturally going to be a bit different.

I can't pinpoint it, I'm sure when I see everything come together I'll have a different point of view.

Cleveland's Metropolitan at the 9 named a top new hotel in 2014 by Conde Nast Traveler

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Cleveland's swankiest new hotel, the Metropolitan at the 9, was recently named one of the 101 best new hotels of 2014 by Conde Nast Traveler magazine.

Read more at: http://www.cleveland.com/travel/index.ssf/2015/01/clevelands_metropolitan_at_the.html#incart_river

Heinen’s Takes a Gamble with Downtown Store in Cleveland Trust Rotunda

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 4:32 PM

Downtown Cleveland is enjoying a surge of new inhabitants. The residential occupancy rate in in the city’s core is now above 98 percent. Sustaining or growing that population depends on what amenities are available and a grocery store could be key. That’s why people are looking forward to the opening of the first Heinen’s grocery store downtown. Even non-residents are curious because the location is inside the distinctive, century-old Cleveland Trust Rotunda with its stained glass dome. Ideastream’s Mark Urycki reports

Heinen’s was actually pretty close to building a downtown store in 2008 but then the economy collapsed.  The population level then wasn’t as large as now and co-owner Jeff Heinen says developers wanted too much for rent.

“One of the reasons that previous attempts have not worked out for us to locate downtown is that the person that’s developing wants the grocery story to be a prime revenue generator for them.”

MORE:

http://www.ideastream.org/news/feature/heinens-readies-downtown-grocery-store-in-cleveland-trust-rotunda

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

I still don't quite understand why every article has a tone of this project being an impending business disaster waiting to happen... It might be the first urban Heinen's but isn't really the first urban grocery store in Cleveland and certainly not in the US. Why is this so shocking?

I still don't quite understand why every article has a tone of this project being an impending business disaster waiting to happen... It might be the first urban Heinen's but isn't really the first urban grocery store in Cleveland and certainly not in the US. Why is this so shocking?

Probably because Heinen's has a reputation for locating not only solely in the suburbs, but in the tonier ones.  The media always seems to focus on the negative whenever a business takes a chance.  Closing is bigger news than thriving, and they want to say "we saw this coming" if it happens.

I disagree that the articles have that kind of tone. Bringing a full service grocery store like Heinen's downtown is undeniably a risk. Not to mention that profit margins for grocery stores are super thin in general. Also, downtown's population is still well below the accepted threshold to be able to support such a store. The article fairly addressed these concerns, but I think also showed signs of optimism.

I just noticed that the sign for the store hours was posted at the entrance. It'll be open 8am-9pm Mon-Sat and 8am-6pm on Sunday

Those hours are 1/2 hour longer Mon-Sat than the normal Heinen's CLE-area hours, which are 'til 8:30 pm Monday - Saturday.

I haven't been inside a Heinen's in a while.  Do they sell liquor?

No. Just beer and wine

They have excellent draft beer (they sell growlers or you can bring it) and I believe you are also permitted to drink on the premises.  :)

I haven't been inside a Heinen's in a while.  Do they sell liquor?

No. Just beer and wine

They have excellent draft beer (they sell growlers or you can bring it) and I believe you are also permitted to drink on the premises.  :)

Giant Eagle actually does the same thing.  I ussually have a beer there while my wife shops. 

There's no question that a full service supermarket is a key element in the establishment of a residential neighborhood.  With that, I'm wondering whether Heinen's announcement last year of the downtown store is helping green-light some of downtown office-to-apartment conversions in the immediate area of the store.  Even though the conversions were happening before the announcement, they seem to have accelerated... Then again, maybe  that's just me.

There's no question that a full service supermarket is a key element in the establishment of a residential neighborhood.  With that, I'm wondering whether Heinen's announcement last year of the downtown store is helping green-light some of downtown office-to-apartment conversions in the immediate area of the store.  Even though the conversions were happening before the announcement, they seem to have accelerated... Then again, maybe  that's just me.

No, I think that's an accurate statement. Each new investment in downtown residential, retail or amenities leverages the next new investment in one or more of those activities, which leverages the next until the market is tapped out. But sometimes these ratcheting up of investments creates their own market, like a forest fire that creates its own windstorm that fuels the fire even more. How far this can go is quite open-ended at this point. That's why I am optimistic about the future.

No, I think that's an accurate statement. Each new investment in downtown residential, retail or amenities leverages the next new investment in one or more of those activities, which leverages the next until the market is tapped out. But sometimes these ratcheting up of investments creates their own market, like a forest fire that creates its own windstorm that fuels the fire even more. How far this can go is quite open-ended at this point. That's why I am optimistic about the future.

I suspect it made a difference.  Among many more affluent Clevelanders, Heinen's is the grocery store.  If someone was considering moving down, that would be a factor.

Heinen's in renovated Ameritrust Rotunda likely to be smash hit for shoppers, lovers of architecture (commentary)

By Steven Litt, The Plain Dealer

on January 29, 2015 at 3:45 PM, updated January 29, 2015 at 4:38 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio – With interior construction still underway for the new Heinen's supermarket in the Ameritrust Rotunda building downtown, it's too soon for a final judgment on the project as an example of what historic preservationists call "adaptive reuse."

It's also not possible yet to know whether shoppers will flock to the southeast corner of East Ninth Street and Euclid Avenue when the Heinen's opens on Feb. 25, producing sales and profits for the Heinen brothers, Tom and Jeff, owners of the Cleveland-based grocery chain.

But it's certainly possible after a peek at the Rotunda on Tuesday to hazard an educated guess that the project is going to be a complete and total smash.

MORE:

http://www.cleveland.com/architecture/index.ssf/2015/01/heinens_in_renovated_ameritrus.html

It needs to be said that this store will probably get lower overall money spent per basket of items, but probably net the store a higher profit margin per basket of items...and therefore should be a success. So someone walks there and spends $30 or $40 a few times a week for a small bag of food, but what they buy is more "frivolous" or "impulse" than what a family in the burbs might buy. They will pay more (per item) for a package of 2 or 3 paper towels than a 12 pack bulk bargain. They will buy expensive cupcakes and prepared foods more, and pay less attention to sale items. I think that is the business model of this type of store.

These shoppers are more likely to spend money on higher profit items two or three times a week compared to a suburban family filling up a minivan with a weeks worth of food.

BTW, here in Chicago, stores like Target and Walgreen's charge more for certain items Downtown than they do in the North side neighborhoods, and even less in the South Side and Suburban stores. Even McDonalds does it. In one day I saw McDonalds in the summer advertising a soft serve cone on the sign Downtown for $.99, and $.79 by my house on the North Side, and $.50 in Pilsen. I guess it's perfectly legal to do so if the cost to run the store is more expensive. It seems it is only price fixing if competitors conspire to charge more in a market for certain things. Individual chains can price by the market they serve on a store by store basis.

It needs to be said that this store will probably get lower overall money spent per basket of items, but probably net the store a higher profit margin per basket of items...and therefore should be a success. So someone walks there and spends $30 or $40 a few times a week for a small bag of food, but what they buy is more "frivolous" or "impulse" than what a family in the burbs might buy. They will pay more (per item) for a package of 2 or 3 paper towels than a 12 pack bulk bargain. They will buy expensive cupcakes and prepared foods more, and pay less attention to sale items. I think that is the business model of this type of store.

These shoppers are more likely to spend money on higher profit items two or three times a week compared to a suburban family filling up a minivan with a weeks worth of food.

BTW, here in Chicago, stores like Target and Walgreen's charge more for certain items Downtown than they do in the North side neighborhoods, and even less in the South Side and Suburban stores. Even McDonalds does it. In one day I saw McDonalds in the summer advertising a soft serve cone on the sign Downtown for $.99, and $.79 by my house on the North Side, and $.50 in Pilsen. I guess it's perfectly legal to do so if the cost to run the store is more expensive. It seems it is only price fixing if competitors conspire to charge more in a market for certain things. Individual chains can price by the market they serve on a store by store basis.

Completely true, though Heinen’s through both its chain status and its reputation for stocking only better grade products can mitigate some of that.  It also has more clout with the city vis a vis deliveries and the like.  Still, it may be not be possible to use a tractor-trailer, while in McMansion Heights that’s no problem.

One of the reasons independent stores in distressed neighborhoods charge so much is they are limited vis a vis deliveries.  The suppliers who will deliver charge much more to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if this will be the smallest Heinen's in the area?  If they take over the Chagrin Falls Giant Eagle space I'd imagine that one would be smaller yet.

It's slightly larger than the Hudson store, so it's not the smallest. Heinen's is moving ahead with the Chagrin Falls space, but I don't know how much that is in terms of square footage. It's been years since I was at that Giant Eagle.

Reminds me of some city center European supermarkets. The wine and beer lounge in the 2nd floor sounds like a win.

Pretty much an obvious move, the second floor is available and they already pride themselves on their beers and wines.

Does anyone know if there is a soft opening for Heinen's before the 25th?

I haven't heard anything, but if I do, I'll pass it along. Looks like they're going to be working down to the wire though getting everything ready before next Wednesday.