Sign in to follow this  
Guest blinker12

Cleveland: Mayor Frank Jackson

37 minutes ago, KJP said:

Yeah, this is the product of one party rule at all levels of a city government. Absolutely ridiculous - and I normally thing Allard's writing is just whiney for no reason, but this was an excellent piece. 

• Like 2

Good article. As much crap as Allard gets, unjustified IMO, this piece was spot on. The public should demand better than Jackson or the other tired, re-run candidates on the ticket like Johnson and Reed.

One party rule isn't the problem necessarily. There are plenty of heavily Democratic cities out there that have effective local leaders. To people saying we need a GOP mayor, it was the big Republican donors who supported Jackson's 4th term. The more progressive wing of the Democratic party has been very vocal about corruption in general and are not supportive of the mayor. 

1 hour ago, TPH2 said:

One party rule isn't the problem necessarily. There are plenty of heavily Democratic cities out there that have effective local leaders. To people saying we need a GOP mayor, it was the big Republican donors who supported Jackson's 4th term. The more progressive wing of the Democratic party has been very vocal about corruption in general and are not supportive of the mayor. 

I wouldn't say progressive as the key term - because our most progressive Council members aren't necessarily our most valuable. McCormick and Zone both have very bright futures and are ultimately assets for the city, but they're not our most progressive members. 

I'd say open minded and innovative - ONLY because of the ultra-liberal connotation progressive now carries with it (even if I don't agree with the word's current application lol)

I honestly don’t see a big difference between Republicans and Democrats at the local level. There are some philosophical views that differ, yes. But cities are all about operations, and in practice it doesn’t make much a difference. The problem with one party rule is that the County Democratic Party has all of the power. They rarely support (and often try and curtail) incumbents from being primaried, and this ends up hurting the voters, only left with one option chosen by the County Party.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2019 at 4:07 PM, Enginerd said:

I honestly don’t see a big difference between Republicans and Democrats at the local level. There are some philosophical views that differ, yes. But cities are all about operations, and in practice it doesn’t make much a difference. The problem with one party rule is that the County Democratic Party has all of the power. They rarely support (and often try and curtail) incumbents from being primaried, and this ends up hurting the voters, only left with one option chosen by the County Party.

This is why I'd like to see Drew Carey come home and run.   He'd do far better than any other Republican, and his already expressed ideas about how local government can be done differently would get a lot of visibility, and not just locally.