Sign in to follow this  
Guest mrnyc

New York City: Developments and News

4 hours ago, MyTwoSense said:

Although I did not visit frequently I preferred the old one.  Sometime my grand mothers or mother would want to go there if in NYC and needed certain things.  The new one feels like it was built as a destination for instagrammers instead of a neighborhood cornerstone.  It feels very different than the Westside Market, Reading Terminal, The French Market (NoLa) or Pikes Peak.

isn't La Marqueta in Harlem similar to the old Essex Mkt?

3 hours ago, mrnyc said:

far as i could tell on two quick visits essex has the same vendors. at least so far. so thats a good thing.

I miss the old Chelsea Market, especially the Manhattan Fruit and Vegetable Exchange. They downsized and moved to a new location downstairs and there's hardly any produce anymore! It's useless. I loved the cashiers in the old one. They had minds like computers and knew the price of every single item without having to think about it. I think they were all Mexican (?). They could easily become coders and makes lots of $$.

10 hours ago, mrnyc said:

this is one of the best airplane pics i have seen lately. both an amazing shot and a clean window? wow lol.

its cavalry cemetery in the foreground, hunters point in the middle and midtown.

There's a place in Jackson Heights where, presumably, a bunch of buildings have been torn down in order to get the approach landing lights built for that particular approach:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7636343,-73.8887386,3a,75y,205.06h,94.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1shzf7DkfWSeWBY21aT5bTRg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I lived a few blocks to the southwest, on the other side of the BQE, for awhile years ago. It seemed like planes landed or took off from/toward the southwest pretty rarely. That said, even at that distance from the airport, the noise was loud.

My new co-op is in Jackson Heights. In general it's very peaceful and quiet where I am (in the historic district) but on the random occasions this flight path is the one taken, I can hear the planes landing while in my living room. Thankfully not super loud, but definitely noticeable.

16 hours ago, mrnyc said:

The first time that I flew to NYC, the flight took this approach and I was seated on the left side of the plane.  This was in 1995 or 1996.  I had ridden to the city in a car before but had not flown.  The sight of those gigantic cemeteries was stunning.

This makes no sense.  If he attempts this, it will again shift media and entertainment company's.  Most were centered in Rock Center.  Then the model and talent agencies moved to SoHo, and the recorded music/dot.com businesses moved to Union Square/Flat Iron.  The cycle continues.....

Dos Equis Reaction GIF by Dos Equis Gifs to the World

they were close for awhile --- and now it appears that 111 w57th aka steinway tower has topped out  -- 82 floors/1421'

spacer.png

• Like 2

also, although still in the planning -- developer harry macklowe is on the way to his legacy tower fifth super tower:

Harry Macklowe just got $192M closer to building his Midtown skyscraper

Money comes from Fortress Investment Group

TRD New York 

October 03, 2019 04:51 PM

By Eddie Small Research by Mary Diduch

Harry Macklowe just landed a massive refinancing package for his massive Midtown skyscraper plans.

The octogenarian’s company Macklowe Properties landed a roughly $192 million refinancing from Fortress Investment Group for three parcels at 17 East 47th Street, 5 East 51st Street and 12 East 52nd Street, according to property records. The 51st Street and 52nd Street parcels are part of the assemblage Macklowe has been putting together for an office building dubbed “Tower Fifth” that would stand about 1,500 feet tall, span 1 million square feet and likely cost more than $1 billion.

more:

https://therealdeal.com/2019/10/03/harry-macklowe-just-got-192m-closer-to-building-his-midtown-skyscraper/

spacer.png

• Like 1

lastly -- one willoughby square topped out in downtown brooklyn:

The 34-story, 495-foot-tall reinforced concrete skyscraper is the tallest new office building in Brooklyn and will contain 500,000 square feet of newly built Class A office space.

more + pics:

https://newyorkyimby.com/2019/10/one-willoughby-square-tops-out-at-34-stories-in-downtown-brooklyn.html

spacer.png

• Like 1

somebody just let the cat out of the bag on 270 park aka the new chase bank tower.

ny yimby i think:

https://newyorkyimby.com/2019/10/first-look-at-jpmorgan-chases-future-supertall-headquarters-at-270-park-avenue-in-midtown-east.html

height will be 1425' 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

here is the strange site of the handsome old mad men era modernist building coming down.

• Like 1

^ you went to that? how was it??

wegmans has a cult following. we stopped in one upstate once long ago.

t***

this one downtown is dragging, but it is supposed to be the sixth tallest in town and the tallest condo building.

if they pull it off that is, they have had some troubles getting underway and the uber condo market is soft.

spacer.png

^^lol no, I didn't go to Wegmans, at least not yet. I figured if anyone would have already gone it would be you. Maybe I'll make it eventually. There's been such hype about it. Like the story of a bunch of bro-y yuppie millennials from upstate who live in Kips Bay and plan to shop there on a regular basis. I have to admit I was skeptical about Trader Joe's initially (I got sick of hearing all the California ex-pats singing its praises) but now I'm there practically every day (I think there's a new one going in on E. 14th across from Stuyvesant Town--even closer!). 

https://nypost.com/2019/10/22/wegmaniacs-are-ready-to-pounce-on-new-brooklyn-wegmans/

8 minutes ago, eastvillagedon said:

^^lol no, I didn't go to Wegmans, at least not yet. I figured if anyone would have already gone it would be you. Maybe I'll make it eventually. There's been such hype about it. Like the story of a bunch of bro-y yuppie millennials from upstate who live in Kips Bay and plan to shop there on a regular basis. I have to admit I was skeptical about Trader Joe's initially (I got sick of hearing all the California ex-pats singing its praises) but now I'm there practically every day (I think there's a new one going in on E. 14th across from Stuyvesant Town--even closer!). 

https://nypost.com/2019/10/22/wegmaniacs-are-ready-to-pounce-on-new-brooklyn-wegmans/

Lol there were dramatized reports of people crying at the checkout counter.

3 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

Lol there were dramatized reports of people crying at the checkout counter.

I know, isn't that sick? I believe there's even a bar in the store. Don't know if it opens at 7am though. Doesn't Heinen's have sort of a cult reputation in Cleveland? I don't think Lake County had one when I was young. 

Edited by eastvillagedon

Just now, eastvillagedon said:

I know, isn't that sick? I believe there's even a bar in the store. Don't know if it opens at 7am though. Doesn't Heinen's have sort of a cult reputation in Cleveland? I don't think Lake County had one when I was young. 

In a sense - not enough to weep, though haha

Only been in a Wegman's once in my life about 20 years ago in Buffalo.  It was actually pretty amazing and I can remember coming back to Cleveland and telling everybody about this grocery store like no other.  I imagine since then many other chains have adopted some of its best features but I would like to check one out again.

3 minutes ago, Htsguy said:

Only been in a Wegman's once in my life about 20 years ago in Buffalo.  It was actually pretty amazing and I can remember coming back to Cleveland and telling everybody about this grocery store like no other.  I imagine since then many other chains have adopted some of its best features but I would like to check one out again.

I wonder if they've made any attempt to open stores going west (starting with the Midwest). They seem to have spread east only, to New England, Mid-Atlantic, and South. After all, Rochester has more in common culturally with the Great Lakes region than points east. Maybe someone in Ohio should pitch them. Of course, that would mean getting threatening phone calls (or worse) from Kroger, etc. lol

5 hours ago, mrnyc said:

^ you went to that? how was it??

wegmans has a cult following. we stopped in one upstate once long ago.

t***

this one downtown is dragging, but it is supposed to be the sixth tallest in town and the tallest condo building.

if they pull it off that is, they have had some troubles getting underway and the uber condo market is soft.

spacer.png

What I want to see completed is the 1066 foot building on Dekalb in Brooklyn. And it is not just super luxury(with over 500 units) so maybe the uber condo market softening won't matter(if we don't have another one of those bad things that begins with an "r" and all.)

On 10/29/2019 at 2:42 PM, eastvillagedon said:

absolutely heinen's was the thing.

my fussy aunties and great aunties shopped there. 

here they all are today:

https://www.heinens.com/home/contact-us/all-locations

I went to the Wegmans Saturday Night. Now, my experience with Wegmans prior to Saturday was the DeWitt Wegmans in Syracuse, King of Prussia Wegmans, and various DMV Wegmans, all of which are huge suburban grocery stores. 

First things first, I'm impressed there is no steeple! Nor brick! The building looks like an industrial box! I find that impressive. The other thing I found impressive was the parking lot out front, as well as the huge parking garage next to the lot. Am I in Navy Yard or the Gateway Center? I get that Wegmans is a destination, but it's still waterfront Brooklyn and I find it jarring. They could have at least put the parking garage directly in front of the building, like in Germantown, MD.

As for the Wegmans inside, the most NYC thing about it is that there is a full bar on the second floor that was absolutely packed. General seating was also on the second floor. Everything else was on the First Floor.  Is this a gigantic Wegmans? For NYC, sure, but compared to the rest of them this one is small. It still packs plenty of things, and is assuredly massive for NYC. But, it pales in size to the Suburban Wegmans. Is that a bad thing? Not necessarily, but things you find in Suburbia you may not be able to find here.

One nice thing is they had a ton of self checkout machines. It's as though Wegmans Executives took a visit to the Atlantic Terminal Target and said they want that sort of checkout system! Smart move, and there was no line for it! 

So, is it Wegmans? Definitely. Does it have a train in the dairy area? Of course, it's Wegmans. Do they have prepared food? It would not be Wegmans unless they did. It may not have everything a suburban Wegmans has, but it still has many, many things and through and through is a decent take on an urban Wegmans. May their next go at an Urban Wegmans be even more successful.

• Like 2

here is something different -- nyc parks broke ground on a $24M restoration of philip johnson's 1964 world's fair pavilion -- looks like they want to light it up:

After five years of halting progress, NYC Parks officially broke ground last week on a $24 million project that will preserve the Philip Johnson-designed New York State Pavilion Observation Towers in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park. The current project represents the first major effort to preserve the Pavilion’s structures since their construction for the 1964 World’s Fair.

more:

https://www.6sqft.com/nyc-parks-breaks-ground-on-24m-project-to-restore-philip-johnsons-1964-worlds-fair-pavilion/

https://untappedcities.com/2019/11/12/groundbreaking-begins-on-restoration-of-new-york-state-pavilion-in-queens/

spacer.png

• Like 2