The_Cincinnati_Kid

Northern Kentucky: Random Development and News

That's pretty much what I was expecting, but with a bit more office, which should be a good thing for the area. Hopefully luminaut can make the parking garage somewhat attractive, especially as the new backdrop for the peace bell but also on the facade facing the Syndicate and Mocha. That rendering mentions facade/cladding for the parking garage so at least it's been mentioned, hopefully it's better than the random red metal screens on U Square's garage.

Shots fired...

Covington considers outdoor alcohol consumption on city streets

190521%20EDC%20map.jpg&q=1&s=1

Visitors to downtown Covington may soon be able to drink openly on city streets during festivals and special events.

An ordinance will go before the Covington City Commission on May 28 for a vote that would establish a new zone called an “entertainment destination center,” or EDC zone, in parts of downtown.

While the ordinance would take effect once approved by the commission, the freedom to drink alcohol in public areas would only occur during approved events. Event organizers must seek and receive a special event permit, and the regulation would only apply to certain locations within the zone. The permit requires applicants to address safety and security issues as well as create “barriers” around the designated event area.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/05/22/covington-considers-outdoor-alcohol-consumption-on.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

On 5/21/2019 at 12:02 PM, jack.c.amos said:

Campbell_Towers.jpg.a01789c5c4ff1dd4a448efde6790f21b.jpg

They say this development "will fill in the missing tooth"... this building did a pretty good job of that.

Why exactly did they knock down this building?  Besides the peace bell which seems to have no point the rest of that area has been a surface parking lot for as long as I can remember.  

26 minutes ago, Cincy513 said:

Why exactly did they knock down this building?  Besides the peace bell which seems to have no point the rest of that area has been a surface parking lot for as long as I can remember.  

Late 90's. Ive got pictures of the Demo somewhere in my photo closet. Had beautiful terracotta at the top and base just like in the postcard above. It was a office building and may have had state offices in it. It was torn down specifically by the Hosea group for the bell/Millenium tower project that turned into what we have now. Initially there was talk of tearing the entire block to the north down too along with the Southgate House/Thompson House so that there would be a clear view and greenspace from the river to this block where the huge space needle tower was suposed to be built. Ahhh the 90's

One more. This is the Fire HQ that was mentioned in the article above that was also torn down at the same time. I believe there were a few other random buildings on this block too with the one at the south west being a liquor store of some sort. My memory is a bit fuzzy on the things that don't stand out much. NFDFireHouse1976Addition.jpg

The massing is nice overall, but some additional height would be great at the front porch of Covington. What good is it if you are in this new development and cant see over the levee walls? 

That's what I was thinking.  I appreciate the amount of green space and the designs, but why do these look they they are only 2-4 stories tall?  At least go up to 6-8 on most of these buildings, it's riverfront property...

I'm rooting for Green on the Levee, a little more compact allowing for tons of park space.

Edited by 10albersa
  • Like 1

I also was surprised to not see a single high-rise in the various proposals. It would be great to get another tower or two on the riverfront, I think. It'd create even better views from the Ohio side.

Without a fine grained look at these, I would prefer to see #2 move forward. Pushing all the green space to the river is a smart move, IMO. Also, this proposal places a new Covington City Hall in the center of that park. It would be a pretty great foreground for a (hopefully) important civic building. Height would be nice, but I think an 8-story district is appropriate. And given that under standard circumstances, this thing will take 20 years to materialize, maybe it will see some more height when it is finally constructed.

I like #2 as well, but really they all do a good job of re-connecting the street grid and providing much needed green space. I was out of town so I couldn't go to the meetings, but it seems like the input from the earlier sessions was actually listened too which is a pleasant surprise. 

At first I kind of hated the one that shifts everything 45 degrees (Green on the Levee), but after thinking about downtown Covington and Mainstrasse being the two main hubs of activity and how that new angled street grid would align the two it does make some sense assuming that the giant Smith muffler would go away eventually. Whatever goes here shouldn't have the word Levee included, that would just cause unnecessary confusion.

I don't see how any of the schemes that have these huge elevated lawns with Rivercenter Blvd in a tunnel are going to fly, they're going to be budget busters.  Plus elevated plazas/lawns need tons of density to activate them, and even then it's very difficult.  William Whyte dedicated a lot of analysis as to why elevated (and to a somewhat lesser extent sunken) plazas don't work without very specific characteristics, even in New York. 

• Like 2