Moving to DC

Guest palijandro7

Greetings,

While I realize this is not a DC relocation site, it seems that a couple of people have fairly strong insight on our nation's capital.  Thus, I am requesting any advice on my relocation there (job commences Sept 28 and will be in Pentagon City).

I want to live in the city, even though I realize it will cost me a few extra shillings.  Dupont is generally out of my price range, and I have no interest in Gtown bc it does not have a metro.  Thus, I my search has led me to focus on the following areas: Eastern Market/Capital Hill, Logan Circle, and Columbia Heights (Adams Morgan seems too W.6ish, but I am open to it, I suppose).  I guess I am curious about the seedyness level of these areas.  From what I have gathered, Col Hts seems to be the most in transition.  Also, are there any areas I have missed?  What is Mt. Pleasant like? 

Anyways, if anyone has any other suggestions, dwellings they actually know about, or any other information that would be worthwhile for me to know, I would greatly welcome it.  Thanks for all of your help.

Greetings,

While I realize this is not a DC relocation site, it seems that a couple of people have fairly strong insight on our nation's capital.  Thus, I am requesting any advice on my relocation there (job commences Sept 28 and will be in Pentagon City).

I want to live in the city, even though I realize it will cost me a few extra shillings.  Dupont is generally out of my price range, and I have no interest in Gtown bc it does not have a metro.  Thus, I my search has led me to focus on the following areas: Eastern Market/Capital Hill, Logan Circle, and Columbia Heights (Adams Morgan seems too W.6ish, but I am open to it, I suppose).  I guess I am curious about the seedyness level of these areas.  From what I have gathered, Col Hts seems to be the most in transition.  Also, are there any areas I have missed?  What is Mt. Pleasant like? 

Anyways, if anyone has any other suggestions, dwellings they actually know about, or any other information that would be worthwhile for me to know, I would greatly welcome it.  Thanks for all of your help.

When I was considering taking a job at the WH, I looked at several of the areas mentioned. 

How familiar are you with DC and the 'nabes you list?

Are you looking to buy or rent?

What is your monthly housing budget?

Will you have a car?

Have you looked at Crystal City or Rosslyn?

Tell me more about what you wants and your personal impressions of the areas mentioned.

Greetings,

While I realize this is not a DC relocation site, it seems that a couple of people have fairly strong insight on our nation's capital. Thus, I am requesting any advice on my relocation there (job commences Sept 28 and will be in Pentagon City).

I want to live in the city, even though I realize it will cost me a few extra shillings. Dupont is generally out of my price range, and I have no interest in Gtown bc it does not have a metro. Thus, I my search has led me to focus on the following areas: Eastern Market/Capital Hill, Logan Circle, and Columbia Heights (Adams Morgan seems too W.6ish, but I am open to it, I suppose). I guess I am curious about the seedyness level of these areas. From what I have gathered, Col Hts seems to be the most in transition. Also, are there any areas I have missed? What is Mt. Pleasant like?  

Anyways, if anyone has any other suggestions, dwellings they actually know about, or any other information that would be worthwhile for me to know, I would greatly welcome it. Thanks for all of your help.

When I was considering taking a job at the WH, I looked at several of the areas mentioned.

How familiar are you with DC and the 'nabes you list?

Are you looking to buy or rent?

What is your monthly housing budget?

Will you have a car?

Have you looked at Crystal City or Rosslyn?

Tell me more about what you wants and your personal impressions of the areas mentioned.

I am somewhat familiar, but certainly no expert. 

At the moment, definitely looking to rent.

Housing budget:  as cheap as possible, not exceeding 1,000

Car: My discretion; prefer to have one for emergency situations, but prefer to never use it.

I want an area fairly trendy, fairly diverse, fairly safe.  I prefer to be near a metro line and do not want to take a bus (I hate buses).  Having a safe area is more important than having a nice place (I can live in a dump).  I do not want to be a pioneer in the sense that I do not want to be the first yuppy entering a rough area.

I like more laid back bars, hence why no Adams Morgan.  I have hard U-Street is becoming a cool area. 

I don't know.  I'm just rambling.  I'm also more than willing to have roommates.  And no, I have not looked at Crystal City or Rosslyn.   

I am somewhat familiar, but certainly no expert. 

At the moment, definitely looking to rent.

Housing budget:  as cheap as possible, not exceeding 1,000

Car: My discretion; prefer to have one for emergency situations, but prefer to never use it.

I want an area fairly trendy, fairly diverse, fairly safe.  I prefer to be near a metro line and do not want to take a bus (I hate buses).  Having a safe area is more important than having a nice place (I can live in a dump).  I do not want to be a pioneer in the sense that I do not want to be the first yuppy entering a rough area.

I like more laid back bars, hence why no Adams Morgan.  I have hard U-Street is becoming a cool area. 

I don't know.  I'm just rambling.  I'm also more than willing to have roommates.  And no, I have not looked at Crystal City or Rosslyn.   

Well the areas you mentioned are all yuppie-fied and expensive.

Thus, I my search has led me to focus on the following areas: Eastern Market/Capital Hill, Logan Circle, and Columbia Heights (Adams Morgan seems too W.6ish, but I am open to it, I suppose). 

Eastern Market/Capital Hill saw an influx of people who couldn't afford NW DC and now that area.  It's mostly old building stock.  I feel ike the area between Penn and Constitution was safe.  If you go south of the expressway, it's like Cleveland's Hough.  There are signs of renewal but that area is hot mess.

Logan Circle / U Street has become hipster-slash-Gayborhood Part Duex.  The prices of homes were dirt cheap, but now with so many priced out of Dupont, people moved east and now there is a Whole Foods.  That pretty much sums up the uptick in home and rental prices.

Columbia Heights  is up there and I don't know much about that area, but I would think if you're going to work in CC, you would be better off looking at apartments in VA.

Most of the area's you've mentioned are pricy.  I would keep the car as during the day, you can take metro, but if you're out a night (after midnight), you need a to quickly get around DC.

WillyB should be along shortly to give you a more realistic view of living in DC.

What about the NW side...like Friendship Heights, Cleveland Park area near Maryland?  Close to metro, but i dont think as hopping.  I had a friend live up there and it was affordable for her.

iick!

explain...i dont know much about the area...i just had a friend live there and she enjoyed it. 

Palijandro

My one apartment is in Mt. Pleasant and I think it is the most stable of the ones you mentioned.  It is just a few blocks from the Green line (also becomes yellow) so it is great for your job.  Columbia Hts is changing fast but still very spotty... Lots of illegals in both places, so lots of disregard (but good luck getting away from that), but the gang activity seems ot have died down a bit, but Mt. Pleasant is definitely is more funky, organic, stable and diverse, and also borders Rock Creek Park, which when I drive, it is a good way to get in and out of the city, and great if you have a bike. 

I definitely wouldn't recommend keeping a car.  I had one the first few years and really hated it here.  Unless you have parking, which is expensive it is ridiculous to park, and when you drove you quickly found out what A-holes the Washingtonians are.   

Actually Friendship Hts and Cleveland Park are nice... There are some nice walkable areas and certainly the safest (that side of Rock Creek park), but also a little bland....

I will offer more in a bit. 

Palijandro

My one apartment is in Mt. Pleasant and I think it is the most stable of the ones you mentioned.  It is just a few blocks from the Green line (also becomes yellow) so it is great for your job.  Columbia Hts is changing fast but still very spotty... Lots of illegals in both places, so lots of disregard (but good luck getting away from that), but the gang activity seems ot have died down a bit, but Mt. Pleasant is definitely is more funky, organic, stable and diverse, and also borders Rock Creek Park, which when I drive, it is a good way to get in and out of the city, and great if you have a bike. 

I definitely wouldn't recommend keeping a car.  I had one the first few years and really hated it here.  Unless you have parking, which is expensive it is ridiculous to park, and when you drove you quickly found out what A-holes the Washingtonians are.   

Actually Friendship Hts and Cleveland Park are nice... There are some nice walkable areas and certainly the safest (that side of Rock Creek park), but also a little bland....

OT, but curious to know. How do you get around at night?  Cabs are ridiculously expensive and the metro doesn't run 24 hours.

Most of the people I know in DC, kept their car for that reason.

I live in Rosslyn and don't love it. It is very safe which is great for my girlfriend. It is very bland and primarily a business district. That said it is a very affordable place with one of the best locations. You can get to Georgetown walking in 5-10 minutes. It's two stops from Clarendon (which is a really great spot but less affordable). You also have the advantage of being on two lines (blue and orange).

Crystal City and Pentagon City are very similar to Rosslyn in the fact that they both lack character. They are very car oriented.

You're really going to struggle finding something for under $1000 in a safe neighborhood. When i was searching a 1 1/2 years ago for a place i was able to find something for $925 for a studio near chinatown. In retrospect I wish i would have taken it, but my gf definitely would of had issues with living there.

In rosslyn i pay $1150 for 525 s/f and people are usually pretty surprised how large my place is for that price.

Good luck finding something.

I live in Rosslyn and don't love it. It is very safe which is great for my girlfriend. It is very bland and primarily a business district. That said it is a very affordable place with one of the best locations. You can get to Georgetown walking in 5-10 minutes. It's two stops from Clarendon (which is a really great spot but less affordable). You also have the advantage of being on two lines (blue and orange).

Crystal City and Pentagon City are very similar to Rosslyn in the fact that they both lack character. They are very car oriented.

You're really going to struggle finding something for under $1000 in a safe neighborhood. When i was searching a 1 1/2 years ago for a place i was able to find something for $925 for a studio near chinatown. In retrospect I wish i would have taken it, but my gf definitely would of had issues with living there.

In rosslyn i pay $1150 for 525 s/f and people are usually pretty surprised how large my place is for that price.

Good luck finding something.

WTF??  Are serious?  525 sq. feet??  That NYC pricing.

I've been to apartment by the Pentagon City mall, I have employees that live over there, that were nice.  Is it pricey over there.  I've been to a few apartments/condo's around Glee or Gleeb Road.  Is that an affordable area?

Do check out Columbia Heights. It's an edge neighborhood that is very urban...a TON of recent investment around the Metro and you're close to U Street, which has a lot of fun stuff for all sorts of people. You can take the Yellow line to Pentagon City in about 30 minutes. It's rough on the edges, so there are likely some affordable finds. Similar to Ohio City, I guess.

I know you're looking to pay $1,000 but just be flexible. I have a buddy who moved here and got a 1BR basement apartment for that price on North Capitol off the New York stop on the Red Line and it wasn't exactly safe. He never got hassled but he didn't enjoy himself, either. Now he lives in Kalorama and pays $1,300 for a studio. I pay about the same closer to U Street--half mile away.

You don't need a car. I haven't missed mine. Metro runs until 2 or 3 on weekends.

I figure I'll live here two years. It's sort of boring.

Do check out Columbia Heights. It's an edge neighborhood that is very urban...a TON of recent investment around the Metro and you're close to U Street, which has a lot of fun stuff for all sorts of people. You can take the Yellow line to Pentagon City in about 30 minutes. It's rough on the edges, so there are likely some affordable finds. Similar to Ohio City, I guess.

I know you're looking to pay $1,000 but just be flexible. I have a buddy who moved here and got a 1BR basement apartment for that price on North Capitol off the New York stop on the Red Line and it wasn't exactly safe. He never got hassled but he didn't enjoy himself, either. Now he lives in Kalorama and pays $1,300 for a studio. I pay about the same closer to U Street--half mile away.

You don't need a car. I haven't missed mine. Metro runs until 2 or 3 on weekends.

I figure I'll live here two years. It's sort of boring.

Well look who showed up!  Glad to see posting again!

I cannot believe studios are going for that much in DC.  I'm shocked.

The rent here is out of control. My little sister just told me she has girlfriends paying $2,700 for a 3BR in the Financial District in NYC--and it's a nice place with a workout room, rooftop deck. That seems awful cheap to me--recession?

Paying through the nose is worth it here. I wouldn't be happy living in the suburbs and needing a car. The cost would be the same anyway with that added expense.

Hey guys, thanks for all the help. 

I think Columbia Hts, Mt. Pleasant, and Capital Hill will be where I focus.  I know I would probably save myself money, but I'm not looking to live outside.  Anyways, if anyone hears of anything, drop me a pm.  Thanks.

Palijandro

My one apartment is in Mt. Pleasant and I think it is the most stable of the ones you mentioned. It is just a few blocks from the Green line (also becomes yellow) so it is great for your job. Columbia Hts is changing fast but still very spotty... Lots of illegals in both places, so lots of disregard (but good luck getting away from that), but the gang activity seems ot have died down a bit, but Mt. Pleasant is definitely is more funky, organic, stable and diverse, and also borders Rock Creek Park, which when I drive, it is a good way to get in and out of the city, and great if you have a bike.

I definitely wouldn't recommend keeping a car. I had one the first few years and really hated it here. Unless you have parking, which is expensive it is ridiculous to park, and when you drove you quickly found out what A-holes the Washingtonians are.

OT, but curious to know. How do you get around at night? Cabs are ridiculously expensive and the metro doesn't run 24 hours.

Well to be honest Im staying near 17th and T, so we really don't need to go many places that we cant walk to.  We also don't stay out late much anymore.  So on occasion we do take a cab. 

My S.O. does have a car since he has to drive to the suburbs for work, but wishes he didn't, since it is such a hassle.  We do totally avoid driving. 

It is typically only worth it if you have parking at your building, which in the new condo building typically runs $35,000 to $45,000 for 1 space.  Another thing with the street parking is the constant break-ins (I see broken glass every day)     

Palijandro

OT, but curious to know. How do you get around at night?  Cabs are ridiculously expensive and the metro doesn't run 24 hours.

Well to be honest Im staying near 17th and T, so we really don't need to go many places that we cant walk to.  We also don't stay out late much anymore.  So on occasion we do take a cab. 

My S.O. does have a car since he has to drive to the suburbs for work, but wishes he didn't, since it is such a hassle.  We do totally avoid driving. 

It is typically only worth it if you have parking at your building, which in the new condo building typically runs $35,000 to $45,000 for 1 space.  Another thing with the street parking is the constant break-ins (I see broken glass every day)     

Well you're a 5/10 walk to Dupont/Conneticut.  Those rip off cabs...ugh. 

At least you're close to the new realworld house.

Jamiec, I cant believe you just suddenly turned up here.

The U-street 14th corridor is sort of the hip-ish area that has been developing the last few years.  Home to the previously rather non-existent artsy creative types.  This is certainly a welcome addition to the city since it was certainly one of the missing pieces (creative crowd).  This has also been filtering down to the service industry, which can only lead to a slight level of competence.

The areas off of here are pretty specific as far as safety.  You dont have to go very far east of here to feel a bit un-safe, particularly at night.  Logan is a bit more gentrified maybe to 10th, but again very spotty over there (and likely expensive)

I actually really like Capital Hill for the most part.  It is a bit more sleepy than other areas, but it seems more neighborhoody.  Your more likely to get people that care about the neighborhood there and people that say hello, which is sort of foreign in DC.  The areas around Stanton Park and Lincoln Park are beautiful (they are kind of like town squares, like in Tremont), But again you really have to check out the specific area (you don't have to go far off the gentrified path before it becomes dangerous)     

Palijandro

Very close to the Real World House. 

But also we can walk to 18th, U and 14th as well.  Oh 2 of DC's first wine bars that only opened last year are within walking distance (Me and my Cleveland friend here 12 years ago said that a wine bar should be a gold mine here (there wasnt a single one, until recently).  Its amazing the stuff that you don't see here or takes that long to show up.)

Its amazing how trendy it makes Cleveland seem sometimes.

Palijandro

Very close to the Real World House. 

But also we can walk to 18th, U and 14th as well.  Oh 2 of DC's first wine bars that only opened last year are within walking distance (Me and my Cleveland friend here said 12 yrs ago that a wine bar should be a gold mine here.  Its amazing the stuff that you don't see here or takes that long to show up.)

Well you're in a nice section of the gayborhood.  I like walking up new hampshire.

Florida Avenue has always mystified me.  One block its "OK", the next it's a "no-no".    And Vermont is another good-bad street.  When I was looking at houses, there were prostitutes out in broad day light.  I was like WTF?

Is Macomb St, up by Cle Park, too far out of the mix?  The actual location is somewhat near Connec Ave, so I think the walk to the red line would only be about 5 minutes.  However, I'd have to transfer to the blue at Metro Center. 

The offer is for $900, furnished, and utilities included.  Seems like a great deal, but I'm just worried I'm too far away from stuff.

Is Macomb St, up by Cle Park, too far out of the mix?  The actual location is somewhat near Connec Ave, so I think the walk to the red line would only be about 5 minutes.  However, I'd have to transfer to the blue at Metro Center. 

The offer is for $900, furnished, and utilities included.  Seems like a great deal, but I'm just worried I'm too far away from stuff.

its DC, nothing is too far away from anything.  Have you been to DC to skope out the area for yourself at different times of the day?

I spent a week there in the spring and was there over Memorial Day weekend.  I was mainly in Dupont, Gtown, Adams Morgan, Capitol Hill, and Logan Circle.  The outerlying areas, such as Cleveland Park, I have only seen when driving thru, and I am thus unfamiliar with. 

I spent a week there in the spring and was there over Memorial Day weekend.  I was mainly in Dupont, Gtown, Adams Morgan, Capitol Hill, and Logan Circle.  The outerlying areas, such as Cleveland Park, I have only seen when driving thru, and I am thus unfamiliar with. 

Can you make another couple of visits?

I probably will next week or so. I just wanted to know if there was any consensus on whether it was too far away.

I'm actually hoping to just find a place that I know is in an area I like and be done with it.  I have two friends who live in the area and they said they can scope out various places.  While I realize their tastes may differ somewhat from mine, they have an idea of what I'm looking for. 

Another problem is that I'm looking too early, as a lot of people want their places filled by the beginning of the month (I'm not movign until the 25 of Sept).

I probably will next week or so. I just wanted to know if there was any consensus on whether it was too far away.

I'm actually hoping to just find a place that I know is in an area I like and be done with it.  I have two friends who live in the area and they said they can scope out various places.  While I realize their tastes may differ somewhat from mine, they have an idea of what I'm looking for. 

Another problem is that I'm looking too early, as a lot of people want their places filled by the beginning of the month (I'm not movign until the 25 of Sept).

which means you may have to pay one month rent of bunker down with friends until you can move in October.

Can you wait until you move to look or finalize your decision?

I think what all of you have said is very well put.  I am moving to DC bc the opportunity I have there, quite simply, does not exist here.  When it comes time for my lady-friend and I to start a family, we will likely move back. 

However, one thing I think about is what about my kids?  The harsh reality is that Cleveland and Ohio have been declining for as long as I can remember.  Yes, there are little gains here and there, but they seem to be outweighed by the losses of: BP, Nat City, LTV, manufacturing stuff, etc.  Thus, do I give my kids a better opportunity by raising them in a more economically vibrant area?  What are the odds that my kids will have to move away bc there are not any jobs here outside the medical industry?  I don't know.  I can't predict the future, and I can't predict the fate of Cleveland.  However, if recent history is any measure, it worries me. 

Another thing that was understated is that Cleveland is not that cosmopolitan.  Yes, there are tons of Eastern Euros, Italians, Irish, Jews, Blacks, etc, but a majority of those still in touch with their ancestral roots are getting ready to move on.  I like the freshness of meeting people from all over the place, and I feel Cleveland cannot compare with the aforementioned cities.

Anyways, I know this is an I Love Cleveland thread.  Thus, I'll end on a happy note: In no way am I excited about moving from the CLE to DC.  No offense to any lawyers on here, but too many of the people I have met remind me those a$$-holes in law school who are so competitive they cheer when you do poorly.  Also, few ethnic areas and, absurdly expensive. 

I think what all of you have said is very well put.  I am moving to DC bc the opportunity I have there, quite simply, does not exist here.  When it comes time for my lady-friend and I to start a family, we will likely move back. 

However, one thing I think about is what about my kids?  The harsh reality is that Cleveland and Ohio have been declining for as long as I can remember.  Yes, there are little gains here and there, but they seem to be outweighed by the losses of: BP, Nat City, LTV, manufacturing stuff, etc.  Thus, do I give my kids a better opportunity by raising them in a more economically vibrant area?  What are the odds that my kids will have to move away bc there are not any jobs here outside the medical industry?  I don't know.  I can't predict the future, and I can't predict the fate of Cleveland.  However, if recent history is any measure, it worries me. 

Another thing that was understated is that Cleveland is not that cosmopolitan.  Yes, there are tons of Eastern Euros, Italians, Irish, Jews, Blacks, etc, but a majority of those still in touch with their ancestral roots are getting ready to move on.  I like the freshness of meeting people from all over the place, and I feel Cleveland cannot compare with the aforementioned cities.

Anyways, I know this is an I Love Cleveland thread.  Thus, I'll end on a happy note: In no way am I excited about moving from the CLE to DC.  No offense to any lawyers on here, but too many of the people I have met remind me those a$$-holes in law school who are so competitive they cheer when you do poorly.  Also, few ethnic areas and, absurdly expensive. 

Once you leave Cleveland you will see how "hick" other "cosmopolitan" labled cities are.  Mark my words.

It's amazing the excuses (I think it's more a matter of self convincing) that people feel they need to share about why they are leaving Cleveland. Not cosmopolitan enough? The majority of people in touch with their ancestoral roots are ready to move on? What the H? And this person is moving to DC? My company has their training facility there and although there are some good things in that town I can think of massive reasons why you wouldn't want to raise kids there but that's just my opinion. Lord just move on.

However, one thing I think about is what about my kids? The harsh reality is that Cleveland and Ohio have been declining for as long as I can remember. Yes, there are little gains here and there, but they seem to be outweighed by the losses of: BP, Nat City, LTV, manufacturing stuff, etc. Thus, do I give my kids a better opportunity by raising them in a more economically vibrant area? What are the odds that my kids will have to move away bc there are not any jobs here outside the medical industry?

I wouldn't choose a location based upon the eventual job prospects of my kids. I'd think about the experience that your kids would have in grade school and high school. Once they go off to college, they become extremely mobile (especially if they study beyond the undergrad level).

However, one thing I think about is what about my kids? The harsh reality is that Cleveland and Ohio have been declining for as long as I can remember. Yes, there are little gains here and there, but they seem to be outweighed by the losses of: BP, Nat City, LTV, manufacturing stuff, etc. Thus, do I give my kids a better opportunity by raising them in a more economically vibrant area? What are the odds that my kids will have to move away bc there are not any jobs here outside the medical industry?

I wouldn't choose a location based upon the eventual job prospects of my kids. I'd think about the experience that your kids would have in grade school and high school. Once they go off to college, they become extremely mobile (especially if they study beyond the undergrad level).

Now that is a response that is productive and what I expect from this site. 

What are the odds that my kids will have to move away bc there are not any jobs here outside the medical industry?  

This is the type of talk that just irks me.  No jobs outside of the medical industry?  Really?  I work outside of the medical industry.  So does my wife.  So does my sister and her husband.  So do all but one of my close friends.  My brother just graduated from college and he got a job outside of the medical industry.  A former employee of mine just graduated from law school and passed the bar and he got a job in the legal field in no way connected to the medical industry.  I just hired somebody to work under me and my job is not in the medical industry.  I would venture to guess that there are at least a few forumers on here that are employed in Cleveland and do not work in the medical industry.

Another thing that was understated is that Cleveland is not that cosmopolitan.

Let's see.  World class museams.  World class performing arts, including arguably the best orchestra in the world and the second largest theatre district outside of NYC.  World class restaraunts.  Concentrated areas of vibrant nightlife (WHD, E 4th, Coventry, Tremont, Lakewood, etc.).  Three major professional sports teams.

What definition of cosmopolitan are you working under?

I am not trying to give you a hard time Palijandro.  I realize it is a rough climate for law school grads and I feel your frustration.  But that problem is in now way isolated to Cleveland, it is a nationwide issue.  And it is not just a hiring freeze... young associates are being let go everywhere.  Go get your feet wet in DC and I think you will find that your job prospects back here will be much better with a little experience under your belt.  Cleveland actually is pretty solid in the legal field with several of the biggest and most influential law firms based here.

Your thought process is difficult to argue with.  But, my response is that the problems you listed (lack of economic vibrancy, not as cosmopolitan, etc.) operate as causes and symptoms simultaneously.  The region lacks jobs because it lacks a robust applicant pool; it lacks a robust applicant pool because it lacks jobs, and so on.  The only way that we are going to see the city and its surrounding area become something great again is if those of us who care (i.e. those who post on this site) stick around.  I understand that this is a lot to ask especially when your job takes you elsewhere, in your case D.C.  The sad reality is that if we don't stick around and take the steps to rebuild our once-vibrant communities, no one will.  My view may not be realistic; it requires a sacrifice that many don't want to make.  And though we love our city, we also love our families and, if lucky, our careers and must do what is best for their advancement, and often times that means leaving the region we love.  Obviously, any decision based on that criteria is not "wrong."

I guess what I am trying to say is that I only really disagree with your belief that raising your kids in Cleveland may not be the best idea regarding their futures.  I say if we stick around and devote our collective energy to rebuilding and investing in the city, we can, in time, reverse the course of our forty-year downward slide and provide them with the same opportunities thought only to be available in the boom cities (SF, DC, Chicago, NYC, Boston, Austin, etc.).

Your thought process is difficult to argue with.  But, my response is that the problems you listed (lack of economic vibrancy, not as cosmopolitan, etc.) operate as causes and symptoms simultaneously.  The region lacks jobs because it lacks a robust applicant pool; it lacks a robust applicant pool because it lacks jobs, and so on.  The only way that we are going to see the city and its surrounding area become something great again is if those of us who care (i.e. those who post on this site) stick around.  I understand that this is a lot to ask especially when your job takes you elsewhere, in your case D.C.  The sad reality is that if we don't stick around and take the steps to rebuild our once-vibrant communities, no one will.  My view may not be realistic; it requires a sacrifice that many don't want to make.  And though we love our city, we also love our families and, if lucky, our careers and must do what is best for their advancement, and often times that means leaving the region we love.  Obviously, any decision based on that criteria is not "wrong."

I guess what I am trying to say is that I only really disagree with your belief that raising your kids in Cleveland may not be the best idea regarding their futures.  I say if we stick around and devote our collective energy to rebuilding and investing in the city, we can, in time, reverse the course of our forty-year downward slide and provide them with the same opportunities thought only to be available in the former boom cities (SF, DC, Chicago, NYC, Boston, Austin, etc.).

It's amazing the excuses (I think it's more a matter of self convincing) that people feel they need to share about why they are leaving Cleveland. Not cosmopolitan enough? The majority of people in touch with their ancestoral roots are ready to move on? What the H? And this person is moving to DC? My company has their training facility there and although there are some good things in that town I can think of massive reasons why you wouldn't want to raise kids there but that's just my opinion. Lord just move on.

If Robert had read my post, he should have realized that I said I am moving to DC bc my job does not exist in Cleveland.  I clearly stated that I am not excited about the move.  Thus, his smug statement about "self-convincing" was completely ignorant and off-target.

Furthermore, I stated that I do not believe Cleveland is very cosmopolitan, and supported that assertion with my observation that many of the ethnic neighborhoods, and the people that comprised them, are dying off.  That is not a reason to move.  That is my observation (see the difference?). 

What are the odds that my kids will have to move away bc there are not any jobs here outside the medical industry? 

This is the type of talk that just irks me.  No jobs outside of the medical industry?  Really?  I work outside of the medical industry.  So does my wife.  So does my sister and her husband.  So do all but one of my close friends.  My brother just graduated from college and he got a job outside of the medical industry.  A former employee of mine just graduated from law school and passed the bar and he got a job in the legal field in no way connected to the medical industry.  I just hired somebody to work under me and my job is not in the medical industry.  I would venture to guess that there are at least a few forumers on here that are employed in Cleveland and do not work in the medical industry.

Another thing that was understated is that Cleveland is not that cosmopolitan.

Let's see.  World class museams.  World class performing arts, including arguably the best orchestra in the world and the second largest theatre district outside of NYC.  World class restaraunts.  Concentrated areas of vibrant nightlife (WHD, E 4th, Coventry, Tremont, Lakewood, etc.).  Three major professional sports teams.

What definition of cosmopolitan are you working under?

I am not trying to give you a hard time Palijandro.  I realize it is a rough climate for law school grads and I feel your frustration.  But that problem is in now way isolated to Cleveland, it is a nationwide issue.  And it is not just a hiring freeze... young associates are being let go everywhere.  Go get your feet wet in DC and I think you will find that your job prospects back here will be much better with a little experience under your belt.  Cleveland actually is pretty solid in the legal field with several of the biggest and most influential law firms based here.

I wasn't trying to slam Cleveland.  I think I made it very clear that I love it here and that I am not excited about moving.  I agree with everything you said about museums, night-life, affordability etc.  In regards to the medical industry, I was using hyperbole.

But I just don't find Cleveland cosmopolitan.  Maybe this is better-suited for another thread.  Rarely do you walk around the city and hear people conversing in other languages (maybe MTS yelling at his relatives(?)).  You don't have many of the little cafes, visitors, etc.  Call this a stupid definition of "cosmopolitan" if you want.  I can't accurately describe what I am trying to say, but I know what I mean.  Sports, especially the dawg pound, is not in it (not to sound elitist, just not my cup of tea).  Please keep in mind this is certainly NOT the reason I am leaving.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I only really disagree with your belief that raising your kids in Cleveland may not be the best idea regarding their futures.  I say if we stick around and devote our collective energy to rebuilding and investing in the city, we can, in time, reverse the course of our forty-year downward slide and provide them with the same opportunities thought only to be available in the boom cities (SF, DC, Chicago, NYC, Boston, Austin, etc.).

In sum, I completely agree.  I do feel like I am part of the problem by leaving.  Yet, on the other hand, should I really take some job that, at least I think, I am over-qualified for just to be able to stay here?  I have a very good opportunity in DC that will make me much more marketable when I return. 

Anyways, I wasn't trying to rip Cleveland.  I was just responding to a post in which it was alluded to that I was leaving for a bigger stage, which is not true in any way, shape, or form. 

I find it hard to disagree with Pali.  I love Cleveland and know he loves Cleveland, but our neighborhoods are tremendously different than the ones of DC and Chicago.  Im sure he will enjoy DC, and spread a good word about Cleveland while he is there.  Lets not deny reality.  Our best neighborhoods still have plenty of work to be done. 

Now, to stay on topic...considered Foggy Bottom?  Lots of GW peeps, but nice views of the river and such. :)

The grass is always greener on the other side. We all need to explore to see if the grass really is greener. And many of us need to satisfy our restless urges when we're young. But as you get older your views, priorities and desires do change. Many times you'll find what you were looking for is right where you left it.

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

Palijandro, Macomb Street if its near Connecticut is a really good location, and safer than the others you mentioned.  Yeah the transfer, but not bad.

More on what you said yesterday, I agree that in lots of ways it has been a hard year to be a Clevelander that loves his city (seems like for every step forward there is a step and sometimes 2 backwards), and it isn’t such a bad idea to see what other places are like.  DC is a good choice for opportunities and experiences for young people (there are tons of young overly ambitious people here, ugh) that may not be available everywhere, but if you are looking for something more cosmopolitan, I’m surprised you are not going to New York, Chicago or even Philly.  DC has a history and reputation for not being very cosmopolitan (and lacking non-tourist culture) that it is just now somewhat shedding.  DC does have the city atmosphere and what seems like constant activity that Cleveland seems to sometimes lack, but I think you will be surprised to see for yourself some of the things that are lacking (especially being Italian) which I tried to hint at this in previous posts).  It’s as if Cleveland’s strengths are everything that DC lacks.  I started a somewhat angry list that I was going to post last night but lost my connection!

Anyway, for as “International” as it is, the offerings are pretty limited.  The dozens of people that I have introduced to Cleveland that live here, thought Cleveland seemed more International and cosmopolitan than DC, particularly the eastern European ones (since DC is overwhelmingly International when it comes to Guatemalans, El Salvadorians etc…) you’ll see what I mean after you’re here for a short time.  I will say that DC is changing fast, and that recently many more people are putting down stakes here, which will end up making a big difference (since nearly everyone doesn’t have ties here) which you could previously tell by there ambivalence to things outside of their career.

As for a place to raise a family, I’m pretty sure you’ll find that Northeast Ohio is about as good as it gets for that, again I think you will see for yourself after being here for a short time. 

Ultimately DC has been a great experience for me, but the positives have just not outweighed the negatives, thus I’ m looking to move back to Cleveland, I somewhat delayed it recently because of the sometimes heartbreaking feeling that it’s a sinking ship, but then on a different day you realize it is still great, and on the cusp of many more great things.  One thing that you should also remember is that it is much easier to make an impact in somewhere like Cleveland than D.C., an example being the recent bid to host the gay games, and (the city blowing DC away), it only took someone in Cleveland a good idea…...  Well good luck.

Oh and you may want to get your Italian fix before you move here.                             

The grass is always greener on the other side. We all need to explore to see if the grass really is greener. And many of us need to satisfy our restless urges when we're young. But as you get older your views, priorities and desires do change. Many times you'll find what you were looking for is right where you left it.

Couldn't agree more.  Everyone needs to exlore a little bit and the best time to do it is when you are young and mobile.  I did.  But now that I am older and have a family, I am back for good.