• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
yanni_gogolak

Akron-Canton: Restaurant News & Info

Cross-post from development:

East End development in Akron attracts more tenants: Handel’s, Starbucks and Marques Restaurant

https://www.ohio.com/akron/writers/katie-byard/east-end-development-in-akron-attracts-more-tenants-handels-starbucks-and-marques-restaurant

I see Marques has a location in Canton. I hope it's good!

http://marquesdowntown.com/

There's a lot going on in the East End area - especially since Babcox & Wilcox is bringing in operations from Barberton, Copley and even Charlotte, NC.  The easy access to I-76 is very advantageous. Also - the Ganley Mercedes/Toyota dealership is nearby is transforming one of their buildings (currently for used cars) to a Maserati and Alpha Romeo dealership. I guess that tells you something.

Whaaat? A Maserati and Alpha Romeo dealership in Akron? That's a pleasant surprise!

Akron Dish: Spotted Owl cocktail bar coming to old fire station; Cafe Arnone opens; food safety tips

By Katie Byard
Beacon Journal/Ohio.com

Posted Nov 19, 2018 at 10:55 PM Updated Nov 19, 2018 at 10:55 PM

Cleveland’s Spotted Owl, known for its mix of creative cocktails and beer-and-shot pairings, has decided to land in Akron, with plans to open a sister bar in the old fire station at 60 S. Maple St. in the city’s West Hill neighborhood.

The spot most recently was home to the Chop & Swizzle craft cocktail bar. That bar/eatery, operated by Dick Kanatzar, closed in June 2017. Kanatzar continues to run his Chop & Swizzle in Green.

https://www.ohio.com/news/20181119/akron-dish-spotted-owl-cocktail-bar-coming-to-old-fire-station-cafe-arnone-opens-food-safety-tips

Akron incubator hopes to cultivate food entrepreneurship

BETH THOMAS HERTZ

November 25, 2018 04:00 AM

Entrepreneurs who want to start or grow a food business will be able to utilize a certified commercial kitchen in Akron as soon as renovations are complete at a former church on East Market Street that is now owned by The Well Community Development Corp.

The 100-year-old building is already being used by The Well for multiple initiatives designed to help bolster the surrounding Middlebury neighborhood, including the Compass Coffee shop. The organization has spent the past six months securing the funding to rehab the building's kitchen to become Akron Food Works, an incubator for food entrepreneurs of all stripes: small catering businesses, food truck operators, bakers, hobbyists who want to sell their goods at a local farmers market and more. It hopes to have the kitchen upgraded, compliant with public health requirements and ready for business in the first quarter of 2019, said Curtis Minter Jr., The Well's operations director.

https://www.crainscleveland.com/small-business/akron-incubator-hopes-cultivate-food-entrepreneurship

Missing Falls Brewery is open, adding to Akron’s brewery scene

Updated Nov 28; Posted Nov 29, 7:01 AM

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Thanks to the dedication of its owners and a lot of support from friends and family, Missing Falls Brewery is open in downtown Akron.

Located on the campus of the old B.F. Goodrich plant on S. Main Street, Missing Falls opened its doors officially last weekend.

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2018/11/missing-falls-brewery-is-open-adding-to-akrons-brewery-scene.html

• Like 1

Just tried Lock 15 Brewing for the first time yesterday, and I'm impressed with what they've done with the space.  The parking lot is not the easiest to get in and out of (especially if you're trying to turn left into it) and it's unfortunately a little more hidden from the road than I think would be ideal (though nothing like Hop Tree up in Hudson, which is set back at the end of a large and sprawling industrial park).  But the food was definitely better (and, admittedly, pricier) than I usually expect in a microbrewery.

I actually was only there for lunch and therefore can't comment on the beer yet.  However, they've done an impressive job with the buildout and the food, especially for what was basically basement/garage space in a small, old factory.  Looking forward to going again at a more beer-friendly hour.

On 12/5/2018 at 2:10 PM, Gramarye said:

Just tried Lock 15 Brewing for the first time yesterday, and I'm impressed with what they've done with the space.  The parking lot is not the easiest to get in and out of (especially if you're trying to turn left into it) and it's unfortunately a little more hidden from the road than I think would be ideal (though nothing like Hop Tree up in Hudson, which is set back at the end of a large and sprawling industrial park).  But the food was definitely better (and, admittedly, pricier) than I usually expect in a microbrewery.

I actually was only there for lunch and therefore can't comment on the beer yet.  However, they've done an impressive job with the buildout and the food, especially for what was basically basement/garage space in a small, old factory.  Looking forward to going again at a more beer-friendly hour.

The food for me has been hit or miss. But, the good items were really good. I will definitely be back for the food.

Beer, ehhh....