No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
yanni_gogolak

Akron-Canton: Restaurant News & Info

Downtown Irish pub to open Monday

By Ed Meyer

Beacon Journal staff writer

POSTED: 12:16 p.m. EDT, Jul 14, 2009

The serpentine bar — with seating for 40, dark-wood fixtures and hardwood floors — has rounded corners shaped like a four-leaf clover.

Twelve 50-inch plasma televisions are recessed into the walls above canopied wooden booths and paneled standing-room tables.

The high-tech audio system is connected to a touch-screen jukebox with thousands of online songs at your fingertips, like some gigantic iPod.

There could be a good argument that Chicago or Los Angeles has nothing on Akron now, at least when it comes to downtown Irish pubs.

The new Brubaker's Pub, a centerpiece entertainment stop in the 22 Exchange complex at Main and Exchange streets, is scheduled to open Monday, owner Scott Brewer said.

http://www.ohio.com/news/50730452.html

10 still sizzling to be champs

Contest finalists offer recipes for favorites

By Lisa Abraham

Beacon Journal food writer

Published on Wednesday, Jul 15, 2009

Dozens of entries were received over the past six weeks in two categories — traditional beef burger, and nontraditional burger made with something other than beef, or with a combination of meats.

We've selected 10 finalists. Two have been in the contest before — one has even won it — while others are new to the burger battle.

All submitted recipes that the Beacon Journal decided were flavorful, balanced, interesting and inventive — as well as greasy, cheesy, caloric and fun.

http://www.ohio.com/lifestyle/50825057.html

Yes Akron does.. I like going downtown to luigis @ 2am at sometimes it hard to get a table..

From what I've noticed in the year or so that I've been a member here is that there not a lot of Akron Representation...

Show Rubber City some Love yall..

Cafe reopens at Akron museum

By Dorothy Shinn

Beacon Journal art and architecture writer

Published on Thursday, Jul 16, 2009

The Akron Art Museum has brought back summertime cafe service with the opening of Hattie's Cafe Express.

The returning amenity features fair trade coffees, fresh baked goods, sandwiches, soups and salads, and gourmet chocolate desserts. All foods are made fresh daily.

Next to the Beatrice Knapp McDowell Grand Lobby, Hattie's Cafe, a Hattie Larlham vocation program for area adults with disabilities, offers indoor and outdoor seating. Brown bag lunches also are available.

http://www.ohio.com/news/50920017.html

Hattie's Café Express

Wednesday - Sunday: 11 am - 3 pm

Thursday: 11 am - 7:30 pm

Closed Monday and Tuesday

http://www.akronartmuseum.org/cafe/

The Taverne of Richfield has closed its doors less than two years after it reopened, amid a mire of workers' compensation lawsuits.

The restaurant is being sued separately by two former employees, both of whom claim they were fired after being injured on the job and filing workers' compensation claims. The cases are in Summit County Common Pleas Court.

http://www.ohio.com/lifestyle/50843237.html

Couple of the shady businessmen in Akron

Wine in Wadsworth

The Galaxy Restaurant in Wadsworth is holding a series of Friday wine tastings beginning July 24, with a Christmas in July featuring ''South Pole'' wines from countries south of the equator.

(See the URL for more.)

scrolling through some older articles, I have pieced this info together.

UPDATE Highland Square Eatery Coming

Plans for the reasonably priced wine bar and kitchen in Highland Square is closer to opening in the former Two Amigo's building.

Starting in August, the restaurant construction will begin, with the tentative opening date set for late-September or early-October of this year.

http://www.akronnewsnow.com/print.asp?ID=31319

That's great news.  I was in Akron and Cleveland for the past week on vacation and I spent some time in my old hood, Highland Square.  I was very disturbed by all of those empty storefronts, but it looks like they are in good hands.  This will add a lot of energy to the Square.

That's great news. I was in Akron and Cleveland for the past week on vacation and I spent some time in my old hood, Highland Square. I was very disturbed by all of those empty storefronts, but it looks like they are in good hands. This will add a lot of energy to the Square.

I wouldn't say they are in "good hands".  Word is that the developer for the new buildings wants to buy all the old buildings across the street and tear them down.  They already put a pizza place in the new retail when there has been a pizza place across the street for decades, almost like they are trying to run out the people who have built the area and gave it it's charm.

Not sure if this has its own thread yet anywhere else on this site, but this looks like an appropriate place for it as well, so:

While in Akron within the past fortnight, I heard that Ohio Brewing Co. may be planning to relocate, but not too far away ... just within downtown Akron.

P.S. If you stop in and are a fan of stronger fare (e.g., in the IPA class), the Twice Bitten Ale is worth it.

Not sure if this has its own thread yet anywhere else on this site, but this looks like an appropriate place for it as well, so:

While in Akron within the past fortnight, I heard that Ohio Brewing Co. may be planning to relocate, but not too far away ... just within downtown Akron.

P.S. If you stop in and are a fan of stronger fare (e.g., in the IPA class), the Twice Bitten Ale is worth it.

Why would they relocate, that is one of the best locations in downtown? Are they trying to get into the 22 Exchange Bldg? Personally, I don't think a change of venue will make up for their sub-par beer.

Revival planned to celebrate grand opening of The River Brasserie & Bar

CUYAHOGA FALLS — The owners of The River Brasserie & Bar (formerly known as LeFever’s River Grille) will celebrate the grand opening of the restaurant...

http://akron.com/akron-ohio-business-news.asp?aID=6351

It's expensive, I imagine, and perhaps larger than they need, so they may be paying more in utilities than necessary.

I didn't think their beer was sub-par.  Then again, I've never claimed to be a real beer sophisticate. :-)

It's expensive, I imagine, and perhaps larger than they need, so they may be paying more in utilities than necessary.

I didn't think their beer was sub-par. Then again, I've never claimed to be a real beer sophisticate. :-)

That space is way bigger than they need.  I am still surprised Barley House is able to make it in that huge space.  Never been a fan of their beers, some are ok I guess.

^It really depends on what one is looking for in their beer.  If you are looking for something like a Natty light or even a shiner bock, you're probably not going to be too happy with the beer at Ohio Brewing. 

If you like Guinness, you'll likely appreciate the stout they have.  If you like hoppy beers you'll probably like the twice bitten or the regular IPA they have.  If you like Newcastle Browns, you'll probably really appreciate the Gold and the Cardinal Red.  They do have seasonal beers that might not "hit the spot" but I don't begrudge them for trying and pushing the taste envelope. 

New restaurant on Main St. opening soon courtesy of Dayton's Thai 9

http://www.downtownakron.com/newsitem/cilantro-thai-to-open-at-former-piattos

Cilantro Thai to open at former Piatto's

Dayton man, mother are finalizing restaurant menu for September

By Lisa Abraham

Published on Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009

With all of the recent restaurant closings, it's nice to be able to report on an opening, even if it is several months away.  The former Piatto restaurant, which has sat vacant on South Main Street in downtown Akron for the past three and a half years, is expected to open in September as Cilantro Thai and Sushi Restaurant.  Building owner Jeff O'Neil said he will be in town this week to sign a lease with Charlie Somtrakool, a Dayton resident who will be relocating to Akron in the next few weeks to open the restaurant.

CHOPPED

/\/\ Went by there this past week and they have a sign up in the window.  I wish them the best, that is a big space.

The Dayton location looks good.

http://www.thai9restaurant.com/Main.html

I don't drink Natty (unless some flip cup is involved), love a Guiness or a Dortmunder.  Something about there beer just didn't taste right to me.  Like a cheap version of Great Lakes.  IDK, maybe I just didn't give them much of a chance.  On St. Patty's I was drinking Cardinal Ale, but we had another kind and took it back b/c it was undrinkable.

Understand that small batch breweries sometimes have problems keeping consistency.  When I taste a beer thats off I try to understand why that beer is off.  You may be very correct that the beer wasn't right when you tried it.  That is the beauty of trying the beer in a brewery is you can question the brewer in what is going on with the beer.  Maybe the brewer will say they screwed up the beer that time.  Maybe the brewer will say they tried something different or had different yeast or couldn't get the correct hops they wanted at that time of the year.  (We were in a hop shortage then)  Not everyone's taste is the same and they are interested in hearing what other palates are tasting irregardless of whether it is liked or not. 

I wouldn't count out a brewery after one time going there and trying just 2 beers especially ones that are not producing at a consistent large volume or a narrow scope.  Ohio Brewing has made at least 15 different types of beers in the past year.  That truly is a craft brewery.  If you try 5-8 beers and you're still not liking anything, then you may have some valid points.

I had their sampler when they first opened, don't recall any standouts, maybe time to try it again.

Its kind of amazing how much beer parallels wine now.  They was an article in the ABJ recently how micorbrews are starting to use aluminum cans again b/c they retain the freshness better.

Cilantro has opened downtown where Piatto used to be located.  I walked by the other day and from the window is seemed like another nicely done / trendy restaurant addition to downtown.  Now for the retail and living!  They have sushi and thai food.

website is not up yet, but this is the address:

http://www.cilantrothai.com

Cilantro Thai to open at former Piatto's

Dayton man, mother are finalizing restaurant menu for September

By Lisa Abraham

http://www.downtownakron.com/newsitem/cilantro-thai-to-open-at-former-piattos

Also, Mr. Zub's is open in Highland Square.  It's a sandwich / sub place with a twist.  The sandwiches are named after characters in popular movies.  I had the "Uncle Rico" Roast Beef, tater tots and chive cream cheese on a wheat bagel.  They have about 20+ sandwiches.  Urbanspoon has photos of their menu:

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/16/1481919/restaurant/Cleveland/Mr-Zubs-Deli-at-the-Matinee-Akron

Word is that the former location of The Grotto in the valley will be opening as "Pub Bricco", from the owners of the dowtown Akron and Cleveland locations.  The space had been renovated for an Irish themed pub, but never opened.

Edit:

Did a search and found an ad for employement:

Pub Bricco will be opening 11/16 in the Merriman Valley. We will feature gourmet burgers and a full bar in addition to selected Bricco favorites from our successful restaurants in downtown Akron and Cleveland. We are accepting applications for servers, bartenders, cooks, dishwashers and bussers in person. Management possibilities down the road. Only those with a love for the business and a strong work ethic need apply as we only have a few positions available. Apply in person Tuesday thru Friday 11am to 4pm or Tuesday and Thursday from 6pm to 8pm. 1841 Merriman Road (formerly the Grotto)

Went to Pub Bricco last night in the Valley. 

Here is the menu and website:

http://www.pubbricco.com/menu

Had a turkey burger w/ sprouts, avacado, feta, roasted red peppers on a wheat bun.  It was very tasty.  The bun was nice too, only complaint is that it could have used more feta.

Also tried the chorizo beer cheese fries.  Nothing overwhelming, but not a bad side to share.

Also, as was posted here:

http://www.ohioverticals.com/blogs/realestate/2009/11/rumors-bricco-explosion/

I was able to confirm that Bricco will be opening a fourth location in the Four Points Sheraton across from Summit Mall.  They are in the process of finalizing contracts.

Two local restaurant chains spread wings as one business

Wing Warehouse and Scorchers merge, hope to expand geographically once economy improves

By Paula Schleis

Beacon Journal business writer

Published on Monday, Jan 25, 2010

Darrell Guariniello and Denny Lowe laugh heartily as they remember their first conversation two years ago.

Both were owners of locally founded restaurant chains and the very definition of ''competitor.''

Lowe and his wife, Brenda, had successfully franchised about a dozen bar and grills under the Scorchers brand they created in 1994, while Guariniello had purchased Wing Warehouse and was flying his flag at six Northeast Ohio locations...

http://www.ohio.com/news/top_stories/82574647.html

Ooooh, that does sound like a good time (and I'll be glad I read that blog entry about it, too, since I almost never carry much cash or a blank check on me).  May have to give that one a looking-into in the not-too-distant future.

Going back up the thread: I tried Cilantro a couple of months ago now, not long after it opened.  It was decent, but I'm not sure it's going to last long past its honeymoon.  I haven't been back, and I both live and work within walking distance of the place.  Maybe they've done some new things with the space since then, but there were still markings on the walls where the remodeling hadn't completely gotten rid of what had been there before.

Also going to be very interested in what might come into the old OBC space.  That is a large space in a great location.

Also going to be very interested in what might come into the old OBC space.  That is a large space in a great location.

Yes, it's really too large for downtown right now, both in sq. ft. and the volume of the space.

I had read that OBC was moving to the building across the street from Cilantro that is currently being renovated.  I have not seen any signs for that, but on one side there are signs that a "Pita Pit" will be opening there.  I have heard good things about that chain.

http://www.pitapit.com/

They had (and still have, AFAIK) a Pita Pit on High St. in Columbus across from OSU, and they also have one in Kent by KSU.  For that matter, I think they actually had one at UVA, too.  I guess they like to locate near large universities.  I was there probably around once a month when I was at OSU.  Good stuff indeed.

I had heard that OBC was moving into that building across from Cilantro as well to set up a cafe/pub, with the actual brewery being around the corner on Broadway.  That was a while ago now, and I'd have hoped to see some signs.

I agree about the volume of the space next to Barley House, since anyone who leases that space is going to be heating and air conditioning an awful lot of empty space.  I would hope that something that size would be viable in downtown Akron, though.  Spaghetti Warehouse is massive and seems to do well, though they have the advantage of a much larger parking lot.  Barley House seems to be hanging in there fairly well, largely by locking up a lot of the UA crowd.

MMM Pita pit... There was one in Athens when I was at OU. Good stuff. Should be popular with the UA crowd as well.

Sounds like competition for Europe Gyro.  Should be interesting..

Also, the word on the street is that OBC will reopen in the valley someplace.  No more downtown location..

It sounds like across Main from Cilantro, but I haven't seen that sign myself.  It would be a logical place for a Pita Pit, though the sandwich competition will definitely get pretty heated there: Subway is opening up just across Exchange from Bricco, which is basically three buildings to the south.  Diamond Deli and Jimmy John's are already there.  And there are still two or three empty spaces in the 22 Exchange building, including the corner space that would be good for a Panera or something in that class.

More options for lunch! I'll take it. Although I will admit that in this weather I have not made it down there in a few months.