Jump to content
buildingcincinnati

Columbus: Italian Village Developments and News

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, ColDayMan said:

Proposed Italian Village apartment complex embraces industrial vibe

 

274efirstaveivc-rendering-sm*750xx2133-1

 

A new mixed-use development in Italian Village will have a distinctly industrial flavor, per new images revealed to the neighborhood commission.

 

A look at the 175-unit apartment project proposed at 274 First Ave.

 

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2020/03/11/first-look-proposed-italian-village-apartment.html

Battery B and River & Rich had a baby!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Pablo said:

^Both projects - so many wires.

Yeah I have always noticed that while driving 4th. I’m surprised they haven’t just buried them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps I'm a minority but the wires there never bothered me. I find them an aspect of city life. Maybe not as charming as arches to carry electricity but I'm definitely not in the boat that thinks they *should* or *need* to be buried. And with the area being what it is, I think the best that could be hoped for is alley access. Burying those lines would be several times over the average '$1mil per mile'. Not accounting for any complications of sewer gas and water in one of the oldest parts of the city. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2020 at 7:52 PM, Columbo said:

Couple of Italian Village project photo updates from https://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-april-2020-we1

 

First, a photo of the three-story building built on the Spring Cleaners site at the northwest corner of North Fourth Street and East First Avenue:

construction-april-2020-12.jpg

Can someone remind me what's happening with the other half of this site? They only built up to the corner, but in between this building and the Exile development to the north is a blank space... are we getting a surface parking lot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, DTCL11 said:

Perhaps I'm a minority but the wires there never bothered me. I find them an aspect of city life. Maybe not as charming as arches to carry electricity but I'm definitely not in the boat that thinks they *should* or *need* to be buried. And with the area being what it is, I think the best that could be hoped for is alley access. Burying those lines would be several times over the average '$1mil per mile'. Not accounting for any complications of sewer gas and water in one of the oldest parts of the city. 

 

The mess of telephone and electricity wires have always looked third world to me. If you streetview Dhaka or Lagos they're everywhere. Singapore and Switzerland not so much. In the US most new neighborhoods have all the infrastructure underground because its cheaper to do it at construction. Undergrounding of utilities in an already built up area is very expensive but because of aesthetics and clearing the sidewalk for amenities it's often worth it in the prime locations of a city where you want to put your best face forward to residents and visitors. In my opinion 4th is getting to the point where they need to be put underground. The streetscape doesn't need to be as nice as High Street or downtown but a cohesive look with more street trees, benches, lighting, etc would be helpful to string all the new development together. 

 

 

2 hours ago, jebleprls22 said:

Can someone remind me what's happening with the other half of this site? They only built up to the corner, but in between this building and the Exile development to the north is a blank space... are we getting a surface parking lot?

There's another building back there that appears to be being restored but also that area is the driveway access from the apartment buildings parking to the street. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, jebleprls22 said:

Can someone remind me what's happening with the other half of this site? They only built up to the corner, but in between this building and the Exile development to the north is a blank space... are we getting a surface parking lot?

 

Below is an aerial of this stretch of Fourth Street from 2017 - prior to all this recent new residential/mixed-use development.  The Spring Cleaners site is #2 on the aerial and the "Exile" site is #4 on the aerial.  In between is a parcel labeled #3.  Parcel #3 had a single-story commercial garage along the back alley (which another poster noted is being renovated).  Parcel #3 also contained a two-story house at 889 N. 4th Street.

On 11/18/2017 at 12:30 PM, Columbo said:

37786683194_bba45cd288_c_d.jpg

 

This is project #3 on the aerial - a two-story house at 889 N. 4th Street.  The Business First report noted that the Italian Village Commission required that this house stay among the larger developments planned in this 4th Street block:

24629927958_3a14c7114b_o_d.png

26726171399_2ecf73edac_n_d.jpg

 

Back when I posted this info from Business First back in 2017, all they said about this two-story house was that "the Italian Village Commissioners fought to save the five-bedroom house that was built in 1900".  Now if we look at the many Google streetviews of this area, we find that the house at 889 N. Fourth Street was there in August 2017 - but was not there in July 2018.  During that time, the building on the Exile site - which is located only a few feet from the house at 889 - was constructed.

 

I haven't heard why the house at 889 got removed.  But given that the house was vacant and not in the best condition - and given that heavy construction was happening only a few feet next door - it would not surprise me to learn that the foundation and/or structural integrity of the house at 889 did not survive, and that an emergency demolition order might have been issued.

 

Which is the context to basically saying that I have no idea what the Spring Cleaners developer has in mind for this now-vacant lot.  It sounds like if the Italian Village Commission would have let them build all the way over to the neighboring Exile building, they probably would have done it.  But since they built to the limits of the two pre-existing buildings on the site, they may not have any plans for it.  Or if they do, I've not heard anything.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Columbo said:

Which is the context to basically saying that I have no idea what the Spring Cleaners developer has in mind for this now-vacant lot.  It sounds like if the Italian Village Commission would have let them build all the way over to the neighboring Exile building, they probably would have done it.  But since they built to the limits of the two pre-existing buildings on the site, they may not have any plans for it.  Or if they do, I've not heard anything.

 

The building that is being renovated reminds me of the Cosecha building just down 4th a bit. It could be a cool restaurant with the front part maybe being an outdoor patio space 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, VintageLife said:

The building that is being renovated reminds me of the Cosecha building just down 4th a bit. It could be a cool restaurant with the front part maybe being an outdoor patio space 

 

I passed by here on a run this morning; from what I could tell, most if not all of the area in front of the small building will be parking and driveway access to what appears to be a garage on the left. Curb had already been built and gravel had been laid for paving.

 

street view from July for context:

1865601227_ScreenShot2020-04-22at7_55_48AM.thumb.png.1bf99e0c3edd5c6a13b07fc6df34c669.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, .justin said:

 

I passed by here on a run this morning; from what I could tell, most if not all of the area in front of the small building will be parking and driveway access to what appears to be a garage on the left. Curb had already been built and gravel had been laid for paving.

 

street view from July for context:

1865601227_ScreenShot2020-04-22at7_55_48AM.thumb.png.1bf99e0c3edd5c6a13b07fc6df34c669.png

Hopefully it can still be some kind of restaurant or used as a useful space. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the developer of the surface lot along 2nd Ave has returned with an updated proposal.

 

Most interestingly is the developer has also included a letter of hardship regarding setback variances. The current requirements are 10' and the developer is asking for a reduction to 4' or zero in some places. The commission pushed back in the previous iteration regarding setback reductions impacting the availability of "light and air" to surrounding structures. Curious to see how they respond this time around. 

 

Updated renders 

 

1296152269_ScreenShot2020-06-09at9_08_29AM.thumb.png.044356f46cf86aa301766b03270aa1dd.png

 

414138340_ScreenShot2020-06-09at9_08_16AM.thumb.png.20955c95165816e9fd16932cad6629f3.png

 

66308075_ScreenShot2020-06-09at9_08_56AM.thumb.png.16dc8177c6e5586eb63a393cb5cd8f5d.png

Edited by DevolsDance
spelling
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^ "light and air"?? Good Lord the thing is 5 floors and probably less than 75 feet high. Not exactly a highrise we are talking about here. I hope it gets the variances it needs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess you'd have to see the site plan to see how close it's getting to the building complex to the south? They can't possibly mean street setbacks not allowing light/air... can they? lol

 

I'm also growing really tired of these boxes adding "pop of color" accents as if it's an architectural detail... 😒

Edited by jebleprls22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jebleprls22 said:

I guess you'd have to see the site plan to see how close it's getting to the building complex to the south? They can't possibly mean street setbacks not allowing light/air... can they? lol

 

I'm also growing really tired of these boxes adding "pop of color" accents as if it's an architectural detail... 😒

Especially when the colors are taken from a 1970's kitchen. Mango and Avocado...really. Very Brady Bunch kitchen.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Second Avenue Project Tops Italian Village Commission Agenda

 

The Italian Village Commission was scheduled to vote on a proposed 155-unit mixed-use development on East Second Avenue earlier this week, but a discussion of the project was delayed due to the large number of cases on the agenda.

 

Many of the city’s review boards and historic commissions are dealing with similar challenges, having to hold meetings virtually for the first time as they work their way through a backlog of cases. The city cancelled all public meetings in March, at the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic.

 

JDS Companies is the developer behind the proposal, which calls for a five-story, L-shaped building at the southeast corner of Second Avenue and Sixth Street. The site is currently a large surface parking lot.

 

More below:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/first-avenue-project-tops-italian-village-commission-agenda-bw1

 

JBAD-IV-First-Ave-1-1150x550.png


"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...