Sign in to follow this  
Guest rider

Chicago: Developments and News

Everyone keeps telling me that.  I need to check it out! 

BTW CDOT took count of inbound traffic toward the loop on Kinzie where the new cycle tracks are

53% OF TRAFFIC WAS BICYCLES!!!! 

That is insane.  Kinzie is a major connector between the Milwaukee Corridor and River North and Northmost parts of the Loop.

We need more cycle tracks

Spyguy at skyscraperpage has posted this image of a new tower in River North that will replace a parking lot.  It appears to include the rehab of the old vacant fire station.  Very exciting.

What's also great is the parking entrance is located in the alley, dedicating 100% of the sidewalk frontage to lobby and retail.  This project is proposed by JDL and it's 26 stories

illinoisfranklin.jpg

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=5507390&postcount=6663

Foundation work at AMLI

Rendering is a few posts above.  The Greenway Garage to the right will have the roof deck for the building on the top floor. 

6469720425_1805a76718_b.jpg

For those who have been to this part of RN, the garage next door has those wind turbines on it.

greenway-self-park-parking-garage-by-hok-architects_1_ou646_69.jpg

ecofriend.com

Crains Chicago Reports on Sara Lee moving from the suburbs to the city.  And it doesn't stop there.  They are rehabbing this gem in the West Loop!  Unfortunately SL is splitting into two companies.  While 500 jobs come to Chicago, another 500 go elsewhere, meaning the Chicagoland region loses.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20111208/BLOGS02/111209823/sara-lee-gets-up-to-6-5-million-to-move-headquarters-500-jobs-to

120811-jeff.jpg

Photo from curbed chicago

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2011/12/08/sara-lee-to-bring-jobs-rehab-to-west-loop.php

nobody lives nearby, but provide plenty of parking. Where have I seen that sort of thinking embraced before? Oh .... wait ....

I used to live in that area, there are tons of dense large brick apartment buildings there.  I lived in a unit that was 40 units of mostly studio apartments myself.  The lack of retail while disappointing is not going to turn the development into a mega suburban style project, in fact it will get rid of a nasty and glaring gap in the urban landscape, an absolutely humongous parking lot that serves the 1940s era Sears and provides parking for the metra station right next to it.

I went by Optima of Chicago today.  It's now under construction

66283047.jpg

Chicago Tribune

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-11-25/classified/ct-home-1125-development-notes-20111125_1_hardwood-floors-loft-optima-old-orchard-woods

According to my counts, there's 7 highrises that have started construction downtown.  2 highrises are nearing completion.  Then there's a couple midrises including the one on Wells.  2009 and 2010 were slow years, but it looks like the end of 2011 picked up the slack.

2012 will bring the New Northwestern Hospital tower, and maybe Waterview tower will resume construction.

Another highrise....I dunno, I hope SOAR has a word or two to say about the base if it's in their jurisdiction.  Look at all that concrete!!

Original image source anonymous:

oldwa1.jpg

oldwa2.jpg

oldwa3.jpg

It looks like the Star Trek logo.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Coast Tower

20120105construction1.jpg

20120105construction2.jpg

Optima.  Ronald McDonald house wrapping up construction behind it.  There's rumors of stair improvements you can see in the top left of the second photo below, similar to Illinois heading toward Navy Pier where there is an escalator for pedestrians.

20120105construction3.jpg

20120105construction4.jpg

Goose Island Bridge Modernization and Replacement moves along.  Halsted over the North Branch near Division has reopened.  Halsted bridge near Chicago has closed, but will be updated instead of torn down.  Prior to closure, the Halsted bridge near Chicago ave could be crossed by vehicle, but was very dangerous to pedestrians because the deck had so severely buckled.  It's likely the Division Street Bridge will come out next.  The goose island bridges are really the only historic structures in danger of replacement or have already been replaced.  Most of Chicago's other bascule bridges were incredibly overbuilt and carry large traffic volumes.  They will be maintained and restored for many years to come.

The feeling of those old dinosaur bridges on the North branch shaking violently when traffic goes over will be lost to the next generation of Chicagoans.  They could have been updated and restored, however explosive growth in downtown areas have brought traffic well beyond maximum capacity. 

20120105construction5.jpg

20110105construction6.jpg

20110105construction7.jpg

20110105construction8.jpg

A before image:

4429056016_533763faed_b.jpg

5276748434_be7f10644f_b.jpg

I've been distant from this thread for awhile since I've been busy.  But since I'm staying in this freezing cold weekend, I'd figure I'd share some updates.  Sorry they are blurry.  My hand was shaking the phone alot from this freezing cold weather.

6859014039_5d58642ed9_b.jpg

This is Lincoln 2520.  Nearly finished, but the brownstones behind it haven't begun construction yet.  There's also supposed to be a gigantic mansion on the property, but that hasn't begun construction either.  Regardless, the tower is getting closer to occupancy.

6858996553_5fa0057df5_b.jpg

AMLI and twin hotels.  Nothing really to show.  AMLI is at about 1 floor, and the twin hotels are still excavating, but have begun core construction.  Both of these projects replaced surfaced parking.

6858980769_532448658b_b.jpg

K-Station.  This will tie into the elevated viaduct from where I'm standing and also build over the Northbound / Westbound lanes of I-94.  The more buildings covering up a freeway the better.

Coast

construction1.jpg

construction2.jpg

500 N LSD

construction3.jpg

construction4.jpg

AMLI

construction5.jpg

New Green / Pink Line Station at Morgan

construction6.jpg

construction7.jpg

La Casa Student Housing in Pilsen

construction8.jpg

Conversion of the abandoned Viceroy hotel into affordable housing.

construction9.jpg

New Burberry Flaghsip

construction10.jpg

Andre, I am always happy to see your photos from my favorite city.  I do have a few questions, though.

What, exactly, will be extended over the I-94 ditch?  Will it be parking structure, or revenue generating structure?

Where was/is the Hotel Viceroy?

What institution is building "La Casa" in Pilsen?  UIC?

Is that the old criminal courts building in the foreground of the photo of the twin hotel project?  BTW, there can't be much surface parking left in the North Loop.  Has the surface lot directly across from the Cathedral on State Street been developed?

Love the photos and updates.  Keep them coming!

Andre, I am always happy to see your photos from my favorite city.  I do have a few questions, though.

What, exactly, will be extended over the I-94 ditch?  Will it be parking structure, or revenue generating structure?

Where was/is the Hotel Viceroy?

What institution is building "La Casa" in Pilsen?  UIC?

Is that the old criminal courts building in the foreground of the photo of the twin hotel project?  BTW, there can't be much surface parking left in the North Loop.  Has the surface lot directly across from the Cathedral on State Street been developed?

Love the photos and updates.  Keep them coming!

Jeffinmichigan

first off, where are you from?  Though I reside in Chicago.  I'm originally from Saginaw, and I work for a Michigan based company in Chicago, but I split my time between Detroit and Chicago.  Always good to see other Michigan folks here. 

As far as the K-station project, only the garage will extend over I-94.  The project is not allowed to come in contact with the freeway cap or retaining walls.  The garage will have to cantilever over.  I'm not certain if they actually bought air rights or not. 

The viceroy project was first proposed by Mayor Daley's Administration with Emanuel's following through.  The building can be found here:

http://g.co/maps/a6apd

La Casa is a dorm in the Pilsen neighborhood  It's right at the Pink Line 18th station.  An older bulding occupied the site, but had some major problems and needed to be torn down.  Pilsen is a historic district, so if buildings come down, it's for a very good reason.

http://g.co/maps/s9z92

You a correct, twin hotels and AMIL are right by the Criminal courts building.  I hope to have the names of the actual hotels, but I don't know that right now.

As for the surface lots, near the church, I'm not sure yet what plans are.  These I believe are owned by Holy Name Cathedral.  This is actually my church, I've been meaning to ask.  I know the church hopes to develop these lots eventually but are waiting for the right time.  I hope they wait.  This isn't the right time to sell.

K-Station / K-Station City

The towers have now marched into industrial territory.  Not everyone is happy about that.

6814781092_60729b374c_b.jpg

Lincoln 2520

6960906767_224176d836_b.jpg

Here's a terrible photo I took of La Casa in Pilsen tonight

6817202400_185547abc6_b.jpg

Slightly better photo of the 18th street cycle track.  Steel bridge plates haven't arrived yet.  I believe Chicago has been receiving specially coated plates from SlipNot.  CDot appears to be replacing expansion joints as well.

6817356034_7279a2d669_b.jpg

Rode around at lunch today and snagged a few projects more distant from the office

Tower on Hubbard

construction208.jpg

Hotels Project

construction209.jpg

AMLI

construction210.jpg

K-Station

construction211.jpg

Could you fill me in a bit on the K station project. So is this project in the west Loop neighborhood? Are they building a complete cap over the highway similar to what occured in Columbus?

Could you fill me in a bit on the K station project. So is this project in the west Loop neighborhood? Are they building a complete cap over the highway similar to what occured in Columbus?

K-Station is actually in the Fulton River Neighborhood which is directly west of River North...though just south of what's normally considered the WL.  The cap over the freeway was built quite a long time ago.  For awhile, they've just parked trailers and equipment over top of it.  What they are doing now is cantilevering parts of the building over the cap to join up with the Halsted viaduct.

K-Station...or Kinzie Station is a huge complex of buildings by the same developer, all of varying style, size and height, and residential type.  The project also includes some retail and a full grocery store. 

These buildings have been elevated in future anticipation of Chicago getting light rail

Future Light Rail ROW

7001840201_2ac986048c_b.jpg

If it weren't for the fencing or gates, you could almost walk all the way to Navy Pier through the basements of these buildings Hopefully someday they'll build it.

I've received development news from my Alderman on continuing conversion of Esquire Theater and tear down / rebuild of two neighboring properties.  The two walkups it will replace are interesting in some ways...architecturally not that great since they've long been stripped of their character.  So as long as Oak Street maintains a balance between new and old structures, I think the replacement option will be ok.  Just don't make it a habit.

New renderings released

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=fn8xeqcab&v=001Xj-HQOIjbAU1LdUSLg7GFRFJnIg4Mkch_nvzPk74DZfJG2C-rtey7Xrm0T_TU88Zk3amAM7-SKMpGI3tXLSR8BsZ7QEx179Nj_NmITrqYho%3D

Wow, I haven't followed the construction of Coast in a while and it is looking fabulous. It's amazing how good it's bare concrete structure looks. I love how simple it appears in the renderings. Behind Aqua I'm expecting this to be my favorite tower in LSE. Hopefully I'll be able to get back to Chicago soon and check all these projects out. It has been nearly three years which is way too long.

Thanks for checking out the thread!  I love Coast too. It's unbelievable how fast it's moving.

Photos from Sunday

500 N LSD

construction225.jpg

Tri-Hotel

construction226.jpg

construction227.jpg

AMLI

construction228.jpg

construction229.jpg

construction230.jpg

construction231.jpg

construction232.jpg

K-Station

construction233.jpg

Here's some quick phone pics from today

Ronald McDonald and Optima

construction260.jpg

The white building being renovated to the left is part of the construction too...obviously to preserve side views for as long as the highrise is standing.

construction261.jpg

construction262.jpg

construction263.jpg

Coast and a television filming(?)

construction264.jpg

Bonus

construction265.jpg

K-Station is actually in the Fulton River Neighborhood which is directly west of River North...though just south of what's normally considered the WL.  The cap over the freeway was built quite a long time ago.  For awhile, they've just parked trailers and equipment over top of it.  What they are doing now is cantilevering parts of the building over the cap to join up with the Halsted viaduct.

K-Station...or Kinzie Station is a huge complex of buildings by the same developer, all of varying style, size and height, and residential type.  The project also includes some retail and a full grocery store. 

These buildings have been elevated in future anticipation of Chicago getting light rail

Future Light Rail ROW

7001840201_2ac986048c_b.jpg

If it weren't for the fencing or gates, you could almost walk all the way to Navy Pier through the basements of these buildings Hopefully someday they'll build it.

NorthAndre, there used to be a rail line operated by the Chicago North Western Railway which, essentially, ran along the north bank of the river.  It crossed the North Branch and went under the Merchandise Mart-providing direct access for freight.  There was a small yard, known as "State Street yard" underneath the IBM building.  The tracks continued under the Sun-Times building where boxcars of newsprint were spotted for unloading.  The tracks also went under Michigan Avenue on the north side of the Wrigley building.  They continued past the south side of the base of the Tribune Tower and of course there was a siding there when the Trib was printed on site.  The line terminated out on Navy Pier but also served North Pier on its way and ran down the right of way of Illinois street on its way there. 

I can't help but wonder if there is some vertical easement by which buildings built above this former RR ROW must abide.  Perhaps Union Pacific, the corporate successor to the CNW still owns the Right of Way in order to be able to cash in on selling air rights for new development.

^ I'm pretty sure the city owns ROW now.  It wouldn't make much sense for the rail companies to continue holding onto that land since it's becomes a liability at that point and has no future in freight.  There's been RFPs as recent as 2010 but no further action...or it's just been shelved for now.  The Kinzie Street Railroad bridge still does have operational capacity despite that its controls and drive mechanics have been decommissioned.  Since it's a city landmark, it should see continuing inspections and maintenance when critical.

Here's a shot of 500 N. LSD.  I would have gone outside to take this, but it was too damn cold

6920681476_edbc44e016_b.jpg

I use a Nikon D7000 and then other times my iphone.  But I get around to many of these places on my longboard, so it's kind of risky to carry the D7000.

Here's a shot from today of 500 N LSD.  Compare and contrast to the picture above

6948923588_aefb8bd8e8_b.jpg

Here's how the glass on Coast is shaping up.  Kind of like Aqua, though the balcony railings are supposed to be glass so this should look pretty sharp.

7137703217_1106bb653d_b.jpg

360 Hubbard Still doing foundation work

construction294.jpg

Here's what 360 Hubbard will look like

100611-habitat.jpg

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2011/10/06/rendering-for-360-w-hubbard.php

Optima Chicago has gotten above the double decked portion of Illinois

construction292.jpg

And here's what optima will look like

optiresizedCurbed.jpg

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2011/11/10/david-hoveys-streeterville-debut.php