Sign in to follow this  
Guest CMH_Downtown

Columbus: Downtown: Hilton Columbus

The busiest part of the convention season is when the weather is often crummy (late fall, late winter/early spring). The skywalk comes in handy when exhibitors want to preserve their appearance while carrying small items for their display from their room to the GCCC. They will have to go to street level to go anywhere but the Convention Center.

...the street scene is for leisure time.

They will have to go to street level to go anywhere but the Convention Center.

Not necessarily. The Convention Center includes a wide range of dining options in the form of their existing food court, restaurants, and bar. The new Hilton Hotel will also include multiple restaurants and bars.

If you park your car in the garage, there's really no reason to go outside at all. Unless maybe you want to get your car out and check out the fabulous offerings of Polaris or Easton.

The new renderings have just been released.  From Planners unveil convention hotel.

hilton_img3_large.jpg

hilton_img4_large.jpg

hilton_img2_large.jpg

hilton_img1_large.jpg

That's pretty bland and boring design.  Gotta love all that blank brick wall at the base.  Definitely would be a bleak experience walking past this.  Convention centers and their accessory buildings really need to do a better job to liven up their immediate surroundings even during non-event times.  This hotel isn't helping.

When I hear clients talking about how they want to liven up a commercial street, or make an area exciting or welcoming to the public, I'd be thinking much differently than this.

...the street scene is for leisure time.

They will have to go to street level to go anywhere but the Convention Center.

Not necessarily. The Convention Center includes a wide range of dining options in the form of their existing food court, restaurants, and bar. The new Hilton Hotel will also include multiple restaurants and bars.

If you park your car in the garage, there's really no reason to go outside at all. Unless maybe you want to get your car out and check out the fabulous offerings of Polaris or Easton.

Exhibitors and attendees often avoid hotel/convention center bars and restaurants in order to take a break from the show, seeing the same people and the general sterility of facilities oriented to the convention and trade show business, especially people who go to a lot of them. Trust me, when the show is over for the day people want to go someplace else, even if it is the bar across the street.

That hotel design is terrible!

Everyone has a right to their opinion.  But I'd expect more than a five word criticism on a $140 million proposal.  Especially from someone who operates an urban issues website.

Come on, that building looks like a commie block. It's like a classic interstate highway hotel design. Terrible.  Lest you think I'm getting down on Columbus, Indy has a bunch of them even worse than that.

What bugs me is not that a private company decided to erect low quality architecture on a prime downtown site, but that so much tax dollars are going into it. Public investment is the big lever to insist on quality architecture, so it always disappoints me when it isn't delivered.

On the whole, I'm a big Cbus fan and think the Arena District was done very well, but this hotel isn't worth of the city.

I'd agree that the initial hotel design would be improved with some of the ideas previously suggested, such as:

- Replace the overhead skybridge with a tunnel under High Street

- Add more storefront windows and less blank walls along High Street

But a terrible communist block interstate highway hotel design?  Sorry, you're on your own with that one, arenn.

What bugs me is not that a private company decided to erect low quality architecture on a prime downtown site...

If you're referring to Hilton as the private company, I don't believe that they were actually involved in the development/design. From what I've read it sounds like the hotel will be built by the Franklin County Convention Facilities Authority (ie: Convention Center) and Hilton has been tapped as the managing partner.

Which could explain the lack of creative design. ;)

Room to spare

Ground was broken yesterday for the new Hilton Columbus Downtown, which already is bringing in more convention business.  Officials say that justifies the public financial stake.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010  - 2:52 AM

By Marla Matzer Rose, THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

After a decade of discussion and several years of study and political wrangling, dirt was moved yesterday for a publicly financed, 532-room hotel across from the Greater Columbus Convention Center.

Representatives from Franklin County, the city of Columbus and the convention industry spoke at a rain-soaked ceremony on the surface parking lot that will be home to the $140 million Hilton Columbus Downtown by fall 2012.

Full article: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/business/stories/2010/07/14/room-to-spare.html?sid=101

Found a panoramic photo of the Hilton/Convention Center Hotel construction site at flickr.  The photo is dated December 31, 2010.  It looks like it was taken from Front Street looking east toward High Street and the Convention Center.  The construction site spans from the brick buildings on the left to the railroad tracks on the right. 

5309812513_c1ac5b9f36_b_d.jpg

From the renderings I'm afraid that this hotel will rival only the Convention Center itself in the battle of who can have the worst street presence.

Room to spare

Ground was broken yesterday for the new Hilton Columbus Downtown, which already is bringing in more convention business. Officials say that justifies the public financial stake.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 2:52 AM

By Marla Matzer Rose, THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

After a decade of discussion and several years of study and political wrangling, dirt was moved yesterday for a publicly financed, 532-room hotel across from the Greater Columbus Convention Center.

Representatives from Franklin County, the city of Columbus and the convention industry spoke at a rain-soaked ceremony on the surface parking lot that will be home to the $140 million Hilton Columbus Downtown by fall 2012.

Full article: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/business/stories/2010/07/14/room-to-spare.html?sid=101

From the renderings I'm afraid that this hotel will rival only the Convention Center itself in the battle of who can have the worst street presence.

I doubt it would "win" this battle since it's up against an enclosed fortress. This one will have more windows.

Oh wow, I just noticed that the Southern Baptist Convention is looking at a visit in June 2015 to bring 16,000 visitors, just in time for the gay pride parade. That spectacle will be worth the trip back.

I doubt it would "win" this battle since it's up against an enclosed fortress. This one will have more windows.

Add my vote for the Convention Center winning this battle too.  Remember that the Convention Center was designed by "starchitect" Peter Eisenmann.  He's a master at the windowless fortress with bad street presence.

New Hilton’s foundation in place

Sunday, March 27, 2011  03:15 AM

By Marla Matzer Rose

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

In about a month, work on the new Hilton Columbus Downtown, across from the Greater Columbus Convention Center, is expected to hit a milestone: The construction site should become level with High Street.

The hotel is being built on a long-vacant lot next to railroad tracks below the grade of High Street.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/business/stories/2011/03/27/new-hiltons-foundation-in-place.html?sid=101

An update on the Hilton Columbus Downtown Hotel from its construction camera (link below) which is mounted on the roof of the Nationwide Insurance HQ Tower, a block south of the hotel construction site.  The previous image was from June 2011.  The below image is from Sept. 30, 2011.

HILTON COLUMBUS DOWNTOWN CONSTRUCTION CAMERA WEBSITE

6207419663_52c8af3e12_z_d.jpg

Some more photos on the Hilton Hotel construction progress. 

Two photos taken from High Street.  The first was taken during the Columbus Pride parade in June.  This was posted at Columbus Underground courtesy of jdean at Columbus Pride 2011 and Events and Columbus Pride Parade 6/18/11:

5850803805_057833074f_z_d.jpg

The second photo was posted by Walker Evans at Columbus Underground in Construction Roundup - August 2011:

hilton-west.jpg

The Hilton Hotel on High Street construction is moving along fast.  The hotel is now as tall as its going to get.  Two articles about the hotel's topping off ceremony held this week:

hilton-topoff-art-g0aeiblf-1hilton-topoff-2-jpg.jpg

COLUMBUS DISPATCH: Hotel’s progress adds to city’s ‘destination’ label - Officials, construction workers mark midpoint in ‘topping off’ ceremony

BUSINESS FIRST: Officials celebrate on-time, on-budget progress of Hilton Hotel

I don't think the hotel adds to the area being more of a destination, but is rather a response to the popularity and density of what's been on offer here. And here I was wondering who this Columbo newbie was: not so new ;) .

Pablo, a poster at Columbus Underground, recently got a tour inside the under-construction Downtown Hilton Hotel.  He posted the photos from that tour here at flickr and here at CU.  Lots of concrete and lots of scaffolding.  The interior atrium is really something - even at this stage.

Hotel looks to be coming along nicely. Is also suppose to open on time (september 2012)

This hotel was listed as a factor in selecting Columbus as the 2013 host of the NHL All Stars Game, as well.

Hotel looks to be coming along nicely. Is also suppose to open on time (september 2012)

This hotel was listed as a factor in selecting Columbus as the 2013 host of the NHL All Stars Game, as well.

Yes.  The NHL did note the addition of the 500+ full-service hotel rooms as one of the determining factors when awarding Columbus the 2013 All-Star Game.  Looks like the hotel did make the area more of a destination after all.

It's also adding jobs too.  From Business First: Downtown Hilton to add hundreds of jobs

An updated view of the hotel from its construction camera (link below).

HILTON COLUMBUS DOWNTOWN CONSTRUCTION CAMERA WEBSITE

6959331769_cdbc78bc8d_z_d.jpg

The brick facing is nearly to the top of 14-story hotel.  The new image clearly shows the progress of two other construction projects near the Hilton site.  Just west of the hotel (to the left in the image) are the wood forms for a vertical addition to the CFA Vine Street Parking Garage.  South of the hotel (to the bottom left in the image) is the steel framing for a 5-story, 200,000 sq. ft. Nationwide Insurance office building.

Two recent views of the Downtown Hilton Hotel under construction from around the web.  The first photo is a street level view from Vine and High Streets looking south from Columbus Underground

construction-march-24.jpg

The second is from one of the upper floors of a downtown office building located just south of Nationwide & High from CBusCommuter.  This photo looks north and shows the Hilton Hotel framed between the 1970's era Nationwide Insurance HQ Tower to the left and the 1980's era Hyatt Hotel to the right.  Nationwide Insurance's nearby five-story, 200,000 square foot office building at 10 W. Nationwide Boulevard is also seen under construction in this photo.

b78bc2d73904ee1f1a603189270f3218.jpg

I cannot wait until the sidewalk is again open. That block is horrid to pass because Nationwide now has it closed on the Park Street side as well.