thomasbw

Cincinnati Streetcar / Cincinnati Bell Connector News

Thanks for the update.  I was about a week at the ASLA (national landscape architects) conference in Denver.  RTD's regional rail system is really impressive.  The locals call the vehicles light rail or "trains", but ya' know in my book "if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it's probably a duck" (think streetcar!).  The cars leave the private right of way at 14th street and for the entire 2 miles or so of the north end of the light rail system they run streetcar-style thru downtown streets as a distributor loop, or as a line-haul neighborhood streetcar spur up thru the 5 Points neighborhood to 30th, Welton St. is most of the line. 

5-Points is an historic African-American community on Denver's near north side with many similarities to OTR (albeit 5 points is newer but not by much). I recall from reliable sources years ago when the system was under construction, Denver AM talk radio moderators and callers were bashing light rail with "why should we invest taxpayer money in building rail in 5-Points...a decaying community...not worth any public investment?" Most callers or moderators for that matter did not bother to study the rail plan and had NO IDEA the 5 Points streetcar was merely an appendage to a far larger regional rail system that was also under construction at the time.  Well, fast forward 20 years, I rode up thru 5 Points Saturday.  If there's any negatives about the 5-Points streetcar it's this (if your point of view chooses to call this a negative): huge investment along the light rail lines and particularly in 5-Points, mostly mid-upper income apartments and condos, so there's the potential to gentrify 5-Points and drive up housing costs.  Not quite the outcome nay-sayers predicted...sound familiar??

I would like to see the substation wrapped with a mural depicting a historic scene of the Court st market or maybe recreate a scene (w/ gatling gun) from the 1884  court house riot.

I am digitizing some areas of development within the basin (specifically downtown and OTR) in a GIS project.  I am mapping out areas of current development and future areas as well.  Because the streetcar is such a catalyst for development, I want to map out its route.  I have found different maps, but I was wondering if anyone can find me the most up-to-date map of the streetcar route.

I am digitizing some areas of development within the basin (specifically downtown and OTR) in a GIS project.  I am mapping out areas of current development and future areas as well.  Because the streetcar is such a catalyst for development, I want to map out its route.  I have found different maps, but I was wondering if anyone can find me the most up-to-date map of the streetcar route.

Missing, when you complete your project, please let me know. I would be interested in sharing it via All Aboard Ohio's resources.

"Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you Buddy? It's the free market. And you're a part of it." -- Gordon Gekko.

Chris Wetterich just tweeted that the city lost the case with Duke Energy re: utility relocation

And Smitherman/Cranley are no doubt upset because they no doubt wanted to shower their cronies with that Blue Ash Airport money. 

Do we think the city will really appeal with Cranley at the helm? Or is it more likely he just says "I told you so" and blames more things on the streetcar? It's a tough call, who knows if his ego will win out and he will just this to make a point, or if he wants to get his little hands on that $15 million badly enough to use on his own projects.

I'd appeal simply on this information: Judge Carl Stich Jr was appointed to the Hamilton County Court of Common Pleas by Gov. John Kasich in March 2013

Mayor Cranley will be on Bill Cunningham's show at 2:06 this afternoon.

"It's just fate, as usual, keeping its bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton

I'd appeal simply on this information: Judge Carl Stich Jr was appointed to the Hamilton County Court of Common Pleas by Gov. John Kasich in March 2013

Mayor Cranley will be on Bill Cunningham's show at 2:06 this afternoon.

From Kasich's perspective, this ruling keeps the $15 million out of the hands of Cranley's Democrat cronies + embarrasses the city.  The region's citizens are paying for this either way -- either through taxes or through their Duke bill.  In fact this ruling means the city's residents are paying this tab, not the region's, which was one of the early criticisms. 

Former top attorney: Why Cincinnati is right to appeal Duke ruling

Dec 2, 2014, 1:17pm EST

Chris Wetterich Staff reporter- Cincinnati Business Courier

The city of Cincinnati should appeal a judge's decision that the city owes Duke Energy for relocating its utilities to accommodate the streetcar project because of the precedent it could set for all Ohio cities, the city's former top attorney says.

Appealing the decision would be "wise," said former city solicitor John Curp. City Manager Harry Black said Tuesday the city will do so.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2014/12/02/former-top-attorneywhy-cincinnati-is-right-to.html

The city of Cincinnati should appeal a judge's decision that the city owes Duke Energy for relocating its utilities to accommodate the streetcar project because of the precedent it could set for all Ohio cities, the city's former top attorney says.

Appealing the decision would be "wise," said former city solicitor John Curp. City Manager Harry Black said Tuesday the city will do so.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2014/12/02/former-top-attorneywhy-cincinnati-is-right-to.html

The irony in this is phenomenal. By appealing, the City will have to argue the decision on the basis that the Streetcar is a transportation project and not just an economic development project.

Stich is also a lame duck judge, because he just lost his re-election to a Dem

The irony in this is phenomenal. By appealing, the City will have to argue the decision on the basis that the Streetcar is a transportation project and not just an economic development project.

With the possible exception of a recreational trail, all transportation projects are economic development projects.

And even a trail has an economic development aspect.

And even a trail has an economic development aspect.

Yes, ask West Virginia.

But one form of rail transit does have a spotty record when it comes to economic development... the monorail.

Flynn said this morning they're going to appeal because Duke sent notices to the city that gas lines needed to be replaced ... in some areas more than others. He mentioned Downtown was one of those areas and now Duke is trying to get off the hook for something they would've paid for anyway.

Flynn said this morning they're going to appeal because Duke sent notices to the city that gas lines needed to be replaced ... in some areas more than others. He mentioned Downtown was one of those areas and now Duke is trying to get off the hook for something they would've paid for anyway.

Exactly. Duke's business model is building infrastructure and then using that infrastructure to sell us gas and electricity. Why should the city give them brand new electric and gas lines for free, and allow Duke to profit from them for the next 50+ years?

A good compromise might be something like this: If the utilities have 20% of their useful life left before they need to be replaced, the city should only pay 20% and Duke should pay the other 80% of the replacement cost.

Great, now the Cincinnati Streetcar is killing jobs in other states!

Streetcar production grinds to a halt – for now

By Tim Becker and KOIN 6 News Staff

Published: December 2, 2014, 3:32 pm

When United Streetcar’s first vehicle rolled off the production line in 2009, it was praised from Portland to Washington, DC.

But a recent article in the Washington Post quoted company president Kevin Clarke as saying United Streetcar now “is in hibernation.”

http://koin.com/2014/12/02/streetcar-production-grinds-to-a-halt-for-now/

I hate to see a good company go under (or go into "hibernation") but what did they expect? Their product was fine for its time but they didn't innovate or update in a way that makes them competitive. Low-floor is all the rage and they still don't offer fully low-floor trains.

And from an aesthetics standpoint their trains looks somewhat dated. The trains we're getting look and feel modern. And offer low-floor. It's a no-brainer we went with CAF instead of United Streetcar.

Edit: Wrote wrong acronym for streetcar manufacturer.

Exactly. Duke's business model is building infrastructure and then using that infrastructure to sell us gas and electricity. Why should the city give them brand new electric and gas lines for free, and allow Duke to profit from them for the next 50+ years?

A good compromise might be something like this: If the utilities have 20% of their useful life left before they need to be replaced, the city should only pay 20% and Duke should pay the other 80% of the replacement cost.

I find it hilarious that people took Obamacare to the Supreme Court because it was going to make it illegal to not buy health insurance. Ever try building a house and not hooking it up to utilities?

Bill Cunningham compared the streetcar to Herpes.

Add that to the list of extreme comparisons

I mean, if it means that it never goes away...

And spreads with ease...

I had 700 WLW on the radio last night and the "preview" was for a 9:06 show, and I don't know who the host was.  But anyways, the preview was, "With the new streetcar loss of $15 million, is this the beginning of the end for Cincinnati?".

Lol, yeah since that $15 million was already set aside and is in the budget, and also the overall budget of the city is about $998 million, I am guessing the city will be ok.

I got to see the new Cincinnati Streetcar Founders' Club Cards (giftcards) today and they are BEAUTIFUL!  I really love the logo.  As much as I like the branding for the Atlanta Streetcar, I think ours might actually be better.  It's sleek, industrial and has forward momentum.  I wish I could post a pic, but it's technically still proprietary.  Usually when they let me see stuff like this though, it's only a day or two before it becomes public.  Get ready!

Such a tease!

I can't wait to see them. It's good to hear the branding surrounding the streetcar is good. That's super key to winning over people on the fence (and maybe over it).

Cincinnati streetcar progress ramps up before holidays: PHOTOS

Dec 5, 2014, 2:53pm EST

Erin Caproni Digital Producer- Cincinnati Business Courier

After a quick Thanksgiving break, construction of Cincinnati's streetcar resumed last week, and crews began installing a new component.

Some of the brackets and arms that will hold the streetcar's overhead power wire have been installed. In addition, Duke Energy crews have been working on Main Street in manholes and work at the Maintenance and Operations Facility has continued.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/blog/2014/12/cincinnati-streetcar-progress-ramps-up-before.html

I had 700 WLW on the radio last night and the "preview" was for a 9:06 show, and I don't know who the host was.  But anyways, the preview was, "With the new streetcar loss of $15 million, is this the beginning of the end for Cincinnati?".

How can anyone write that, utter that or believe that with a straight face?? If there's a significant number of people believing that, I would argue that's the real threat to Cincinnati....

"Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you Buddy? It's the free market. And you're a part of it." -- Gordon Gekko.