Cincinnati Streetcar / The Connector News

thomasbw

Except that Haile Foundation offered to PAY for the ongoing construction costs so that the project could continue while the audit was conducted. Deatrick presented plan where MPD would slow down the construction to reduce costs during December 2013 instead of bringing it to a halt. But Cranley and a majority of council said "no way" and decided that we should totally shut down construction during the audit. That's what added $1 million to the cost of the project and actually made some of the dates slip.

Chris Wetterich ‏@ChrisCinciBiz  3m3 minutes ago

Hate your job? Imagine, for a moment, if you were John Deatrick and John Cranley-er-Harry Black is your boss. http://cin.ci/1AgL2py

Cranley to streetcar bosses: 'Put up or shut up'

Sharon Coolidge and Jason Williams, [email protected] 4:35 p.m. EST December 10, 2014

In the wake of news that the streetcar's contingency fund is practically drained, Cincinnati Mayor John Cranley said the city's streetcar team will be expected to execute the project as advertised: on time and on budget.

"We need to have a team that will bring it in on time and under budget or we need a new team," Cranley said. "It's put up or shut up."

Over the next few days, City Manager Harry Black will work with the streetcar managers "to prune the budget and take items out of it," Cranley said.

READ MORE AT:

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2014/12/10/cranley-to-streetcar-bosses-put-up-or-shut-up/20209159/

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

Chris Wetterich ‏@ChrisCinciBiz  3m3 minutes ago

Hate your job? Imagine, for a moment, if you were John Deatrick and John Cranley-er-Harry Black is your boss. http://cin.ci/1AgL2py

Cranley to streetcar bosses: 'Put up or shut up'

Sharon Coolidge and Jason Williams, [email protected] 4:35 p.m. EST December 10, 2014

In the wake of news that the streetcar's contingency fund is practically drained, Cincinnati Mayor John Cranley said the city's streetcar team will be expected to execute the project as advertised: on time and on budget.

"We need to have a team that will bring it in on time and under budget or we need a new team," Cranley said. "It's put up or shut up."

Over the next few days, City Manager Harry Black will work with the streetcar managers "to prune the budget and take items out of it," Cranley said.

READ MORE AT:

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2014/12/10/cranley-to-streetcar-bosses-put-up-or-shut-up/20209159/

Cranley responds by attacking city leaders and streetcar 'bosses'

the man is hellbent on ensuring the streetcar fails.  Harry black also said he will take out certain items

Ha ha, beat ya to it.

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

Bravo Mayor Cranley!  You are so so brave!  Thank you for standing up and making a statement!!  How would we go on without your watchdog eye!!!  All salute!!

Since he caused a $1M loss, perhaps he should consider stepping down as well, just for consistency's sake.  :roll:

Somehow, John Deatrick and team should be held responsible for a ~$1-2 million decision by council and the state of our city streets below the pavement. That makes a TON of sense.

Let's play a game folks. It's called Liability Roulette. Who will John Cranley choose next!? (Spoiler alert: not himself)

I am sorry but he is an idiot.  Why would anyone ever say that about anything?  The guy is a detriment to his own administration.  Who would do a better job than John Deatrick?  Should Cranley "Roll up his sleeves", put on his accounting visor and "put up or shut up"?

I think he underestimates the hole he digs himself in with supporters.  Voters aren't stupid.  I just hope that a strong candidate runs for Mayor and knocks him out of his seat, because I really can't stand his big mouth.  How much would it hurt for him to say:  "Yes, a bit surprised but we will work with the team to make certain the project stays on budget". 

I feel bad for John Deatrick because they are micro managing the shit out of this as it is.  I don't think you could find anyone who would do a better job or understand the job more and how much they must stay on top of it than John Deatrick.  So why be a complete dick and throw probably your most talented, experienced and skilled employee in the whole friggin region under the bus to pander to your constituents.  I hope people don't forget this come 2017

I wonder if Cranley reads the Business Courier:

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/feature/5-things/2014/12/five-things-you-need-to-know-today-and-a-word-to.html?page=all

Even though I'm typing this in the Courier's Loveland Bureau, in the back corner of the basement next to the sump pump, I can still hear the streetcar naysayers having a good laugh as the project hits yet another financial snag. Some of the naysayers live inside the city of Cincinnati. One is the mayor. But in my world, the loudest streetcar pooh-poohs are the folks out in the suburbs, in places like … Loveland.

I hear anti-streetcar talk constantly. My neighbors call it a trolley. They say it's doomed. They question the sanity of anyone who thinks it might actually work. And they say all of this VERY LOUDLY. They also don't get downtown very often. They couldn't find Findlay Market without GPS. They wouldn't dare venture into Over-the-Rhine, despite the fact that it contains some of the Midwest's most exciting restaurants.

So I'm using my soapbox this morning to ask you, if you're one of the folks talking down the streetcar, to cool it. Like the Reds and the Bengals, the success of the streetcar would help the entire city. It would move Cincinnati, in the eyes of the rest of the nation, into the club of cities that "get it." What does that mean? Simply that the city values a new way of living and a new way of getting around – one that doesn't make cars and commutes and lawnmowers mandatory for "the good life." We should all root for the streetcar to succeed because we've already paid for it. It's being built. It will become part of the fabric of the urban core.

I'd love to keep ranting but I need to spend the next 40 minutes sitting on Interstate 71, wishing I was riding a train. Or a trolley. Or whatever you want to call it.

Perhaps I misunderstood, but the $80,000 is what is expected to be left in the contingency at the end of construction given the worst case scenario plays out, correct? It’s not what is left currently? The Enquirer, and even the brief comment I heard on NPR this morning, weren’t exactly making that clear. If you finish the project and still have money left in the contingency budget, you did fine. The narrative Cranley is pushing seems to be that there’s $80k left and we still have two years of construction, which is incredibly misleading.

From Chris Seelbach's Facebook page:

My only comment on the Streetcar stories from today is to quote Councilwoman Amy Murray:

Murray said the project is on budget and she and others will make sure it stays that way.

"We're not down to $80,000. That's showing all the money that they might possibly need to use for the contingencies. So, I want to be really clear. It's not money spent. It's not money out there. It's what they're thinking they're going to need that $9 million for," she said.

PS it's refreshing to find thoughtful, non-divisive colleagues to work with...regardless of political party affiliation.

Perhaps I misunderstood, but the $80,000 is what is expected to be left in the contingency at the end of construction given the worst case scenario plays out, correct? It’s not what is left currently? The Enquirer, and even the brief comment I heard on NPR this morning, weren’t exactly making that clear. If you finish the project and still have money left in the contingency budget, you did fine. The narrative Cranley is pushing seems to be that there’s $80k left and we still have two years of construction, which is incredibly misleading.

^ Correct

So Cranley says he did not lose 1 million dollars. He would have saved 100 million if he could have canceled the project. If I was the feds listening to to his crap on 700 wlw I would yank all federal money to all projects in the city of Cincinnati. Cranley said that the feds hardly put anything into the project and there portion was meaningless compared what the city is paying.

Guest jmecklenborg

So Cranley says he did not lose 1 million dollars. He would have saved 100 million if he could have canceled the project. If I was the feds listening to to his crap on 700 wlw I would yank all federal money to all projects in the city of Cincinnati. Cranley said that the feds hardly put anything into the project and there portion was meaningless compared what the city is paying.

Right, Smitherman and Cranley have said stuff like "the city has not received $1 from the federal government...". 

Right, Smitherman and Cranley have said stuff like "the city has not received $1 from the federal government...".

Do you think he just goes nuts about it because he can't spend the money on cops and firefighters, trash cans, and "Other exciting urban neighborhoods" outside of downtown and OTR?  But the real question should be, why didn't he come up with a different plan to spend the money on, specifically?

Do you think he just goes nuts about it because he can't spend the money on cops and firefighters, trash cans, and "Other exciting urban neighborhoods" outside of downtown and OTR?  But the real question should be, why didn't he come up with a different plan to spend the money on, specifically?

As I've said before...

Vice Mayor Mann stipulated the need for the audit right after the election. Because the audit would take some time, that's the reason for the pause.

So was the pause 100% Mann's idea? Because it would have been possible to audit but not stop work. (Actually this was done by Deatrick's team, which produced almost identical results to KPMG's, IIRC.)

Guest jmecklenborg

Vice Mayor Mann stipulated the need for the audit right after the election. Because the audit would take some time, that's the reason for the pause.

So was the pause 100% Mann's idea? Because it would have been possible to audit but not stop work. (Actually this was done by Deatrick's team, which produced almost identical results to KPMG's, IIRC.)

No it was all Cranley's idea, he just used Mann as the front.  Cranley modeled the whole thing after Chris Christie's pause then cancellation of the ARC tunnel, which I've long thought was a way to get the #7 extension built instead which no doubt benefits some major donor of his in a way that the ARC tunnel didn't. 

Another possibility would have been voting to pause for a certain length of time for the second audit to be completed, but resuming work automatically without a (supermajority) vote to do so.

If this were done, the appearance of a lack of good faith could have been avoided. As things were executed, it just looked like an underhanded way to cancel the project at the time.

Another possibility would have been voting to pause for a certain length of time for the second audit to be completed, but resuming work automatically without a (supermajority) vote to do so.

If this were done, the appearance of a lack of good faith could have been avoided. As things were executed, it just looked like an underhanded way to cancel the project at the time.

But Cranley's eleven emergency ordinances were rushed through so fast that no one had time to fully understand what they were voting on. This just proves the point -- if the goal was actually to audit, or even to pause and audit, there are several better ways it could have been done. But Cranley's goal from the beginning was to cancel. He simply disguised it as "pause and audit" because there was council support for doing so. If he would've simply proposed a cancellation (before the audit), he only would've gotten 3 votes.

From Chris Seelbach's Facebook page:

My only comment on the Streetcar stories from today is to quote Councilwoman Amy Murray:

Murray said the project is on budget and she and others will make sure it stays that way.

"We're not down to $80,000. That's showing all the money that they might possibly need to use for the contingencies. So, I want to be really clear. It's not money spent. It's not money out there. It's what they're thinking they're going to need that $9 million for," she said.

PS it's refreshing to find thoughtful, non-divisive colleagues to work with...regardless of political party affiliation.

By the way, I have been VERY impressed with Amy Murray.  She was against the streetcar and supported pausing, but she's done a fine job of moving on, staying positive, and trying to make the project a success since it was restarted.  I don't expect everyone to agree on every issue, but I do expect everyone to work together and do what's best for the city, regardless of their personal opinion.  Cranley could learn A LOT by watching her.

^Her 700 WLW schtick is getting really old, though. She constantly talks poorly of the previous administration and repeats the lie that it is really bad for the city. She is working cooperatively with the D's on council and doing a good job, but publicly she is really infuriating.

^Her 700 WLW schtick is getting really old, though. She constantly talks poorly of the previous administration and repeats the lie that it is really bad for the city. She is working cooperatively with the D's on council and doing a good job, but publicly she is really infuriating.

I refuse to listen to 700 (even for the Reds), so I didn't realize this.  I'm still happy with her actions thus far, though.

I really enjoyed Rob Daumeyer's "Five things..." piece from today's business courier (www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati): "Five things you need to know today, and a word to the streetcar haters". Scroll down to "featured posts" and the streetcar paragraphs are stuck in at the end. (FYI this is free content.)

I almost can't believe that someone writing for a Cincy business publication could call out things so plainly, but personally I think it's a good thing. Not that it will make a difference, but it sure resonated with me.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2014/12/11/cranley-streetcar-budget-cooked/20276171/

Cranley claiming that the FTA was supposed to cover operating costs.  That absolutely was never the case! 

OKI, not FTA is the reason we aren't getting an operating grant.  FTA said, submit it and we'll do it! but OKI gave it a horrendous rating so they didn't even submit it.

Imagine that...a politician being misleading!  And a desperate newspaper being misleading to gain themselves attention and praise from all the conservative suburbanites who hate downtown/otr.  We've never seen this behavior before. 

If John Cranley and whoever else wants to waste their time trying to hurt this project I say bring it on.  We've beat them many times before and we'll beat them again.  Its fun:)

OKI, not FTA is the reason we aren't getting an operating grant.  FTA said, submit it and we'll do it! but OKI gave it a horrendous rating so they didn't even submit it.

Can you provide more information? Links? What was the reason OKI gave for not submitting a funding application?

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2014/12/11/cranley-streetcar-budget-cooked/20276171/

Cranley claiming that the FTA was supposed to cover operating costs.  That absolutely was never the case! 

So sick of the politics and politicians around here. So many literally trying to sabotage the project

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Streetcar Press Conference Announced

Believe in Cincinnati to Announce Coalition to Bring Urban Rail Uptown

Cincinnati – December 15, 2014 – Believe in Cincinnati, the grassroots community organization founded in 2013 to save the Cincinnati streetcar, is proud to announce a press conference to continue the conversation started one year ago, and to begin focusing on Phase 2 of the project. With a goal to bring the streetcar uptown, the press conference will be held on the anniversary of their historic victory, December 18, 2014 at 10 a.m. at the intersection of Race and Elder Streets. Believe in Cincinnati will announce its intentions to open a community dialog and to develop a plan to expand the streetcar to the uptown Cincinnati area through a coalition of community stakeholders, and will continue its work to solidify the streetcar's importance as a part of the greater Cincinnati area’s transit ecosystem.

As local businesses have begun to flourish along the still unfinished first phase of the line, Believe In Cincinnati has begun partnering with students, community leaders, local businesses, and passionate residents to form a coalition that will ensure the same success is afforded to the second largest business center in the region.

The goal of the coalition will be to develop a route through the neighborhoods north of downtown (Clifton, Mt. Auburn, Corryville, and Avondale) that is both efficient and cost effective for consumers and taxpayers. The coalition will ensure the project is done in a collaborative, responsible way that preserves the basic services of the city while driving significant economic development. Believe in Cincinnati will ultimately present a plan to the city, with an intention to secure funds for the project.

“The logical next step for the streetcar to protect and embolden Cincinnati’s economic infrastructure is to connect the city’s two largest business centers,” said Ryan Messer, founder of Believe in Cincinnati. “Bringing the streetcar uptown is an investment in the success of the city, and a responsible course of action for our communities.”

The 2013 success of the streetcar came in large part from the thousands who volunteered to spread information, sign petitions, speak in front of City Council, and stand up for the future of the city. Harnessing this energy and looking toward the future, Believe in Cincinnati will hold their press conference at the corner of Race St. and Elder St., the same place where a section of track begins to travel north, in the direction of the streetcar’s future.

The public, as well as the media, are invited to attend this press conference.

Event Details

Who: Believe in Cincinnati

What: A press conference announcing plans for Phase 2 of the Cincinnati streetcar

When: Thursday, December 18, 2014

Where: Race St. at the corner of Race and Elder in Over-The-Rhine

Why: To begin the process of expanding and enhancing Cincinnati's regional transit

I see the Kansas City Star has come up with a really neat map of development for downtown Kansas City a long their streetcar line.  I wonder if any of you guys could put together something similiar, i.e. completed since 2011, planned, concept, etc.  That would be a great way to start mapping.  I highly doubt the Enquirer would ever publish something like this.  It would end their discussion and click bait. 

http://projects.kansascity.com/2014/downtown/

I see the Kansas City Star has come up with a really neat map of development for downtown Kansas City a long their streetcar line.  I wonder if any of you guys could put together something similiar, i.e. completed since 2011, planned, concept, etc.  That would be a great way to start mapping.  I highly doubt the Enquirer would ever publish something like this.  It would end their discussion and click bait. 

http://projects.kansascity.com/2014/downtown/

Great idea. In fact, if someone develops that map, we'd be happy to publish it in All Aboard Ohio's newsletter, the Ohio Passenger Rail News, and on our website.

A similar project was done for Cleveland's fixed guideway transit lines which All Aboard Ohio published here:

http://allaboardohio.org/2014/08/22/5-5-billion-in-development-built-or-announced-since-2012-wwith-2000-feet-of-cleveland-railbrt-lines/

http://www.fox19.com/story/27627543/streetcar-work-to-close-part-of-findlay-street-monday

I thought whole line was one big loop. So there is more than one loop?

Yeah, at 12th/Race there is an extensive system of tracks that allows the north and south loops to run independently if need be.  Calling the northern loop the OTR loop is a bit misleading as there is about 5 blocks of track in the southern loop that is in OTR, but I guess I'm just splitting hairs.

"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett 

http://www.fox19.com/story/27627543/streetcar-work-to-close-part-of-findlay-street-monday

I thought whole line was one big loop. So there is more than one loop?

I don't know how, 7 years into this, the media still cannot clearly describe its physical characteristics. 

Yeah, I get annoyed when I hear it described as a "figure 8" loop. It's much more accurate to describe it as a north/south spine linking the Central Business District with Over-the-Rhine with an S bend in the middle. I can understand referring to the "OTR loop" or "CBD loop" though.