Sign in to follow this  
buildingcincinnati

Dayton: Downtown: Development and News

This is a continuation of the "Kettering Tower close to being sold" thread.  The building will change hands at the end of October and is going to be renovated.  I locked the old thread, but if you want to see it it's here:

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=1458.0

From the 10/10/05 Dayton Business Journal:

Tower getting new property management

Caleb Stephens

DBJ Senior Reporter

The new owners of the Kettering Tower plan big changes to Dayton's tallest office building.

Besides a previously announced renovation project, the owners are hiring a new property management company, are reducing the building's overhead by renegotiating with vendors and are working to attract new retailers.

http://dayton.bizjournals.com/dayton/stories/2005/10/10/story6.html

I'm not a big fan of the Kettering Towers ground floor areas.  They seem sort of chopped up an not as simple or clean as one would expect from a Miesianesque skyscraper

This was one of the premier banks in Dayton at the time...the Winters Bank, so one would expect modernist elegance and grandeur.

Yet there is no proper banking hall like one would expect in a downtown bank skyscraper...you take those escaltors up from the "lobby" to this low dark banking area on a sort-of mezzanine.  A bit of a letdown. 

Riverscape Expansion Plans

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3716.0

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3184.0

Juvenile Justice Center construction

Webster Station West - proposed housing development at the corner of Patterson and First Streets

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=6986.0

TechTown (as you already mentioned)

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=1293.0

Please put an "a" in the title, that is really driving me nuts.

Anyway, glad to have a comprehensive thread. Is the McCormick building accross from 5/3 finished?

There hasn't been any activity at the Schwind site for a long time. It looks like demolition had started, but then stopped. 

They recently tore down the old house that used to be the rectory for Sacred Heart, and also a  1950s-era building at the corner of Wilkinson and Third.

DVAC moved into a remodeled building on Jefferson, between 2nd and 1st.

A piano bar is supposed to be opening in the mid-rise across Main from the Victoria.

Both from the 9/1/06 DDN:

Centre City plan could change downtown dynamic

Project's viability depends on developer securing tax credits, historic status and a grant for asbestos removal.

By Joanne Huist Smith

Staff Writer

Friday, September 01, 2006

DAYTON — In 1924, it was the tallest reinforced concrete building in the world, Dayton's first skyscraper.

Today, the 21-story Centre City Building, 40 S. Main St., is nearly empty, but Ron Smith of Hutchins Commercial Realty envisions it redeveloped into apartments and businesses.

The project would convert the office tower into 109 apartments, with parking, and cost about $17.5 million. It depends on several factors, including securing financing and historic status for tax credits.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/n/content/oh/story/news/local/2006/09/01/ddn090106maininside.html

That tower piece with the pyramidal roof is just tacked-on, though.

I like the side that faces Dave Hall Plaza, with the bay windows.

Probably a better skyscraper is the old Hulman Building, but that depends on the angle as the elevator shafts on one side sort of detracts.

The thing that I found suprising is how empty this building is.  Just 20% occupied.  I had read about the top floor penthouse apartment before, though. 

Smith wants to put 130 parking spaces in the Centre City building and, using Air City's entrance ramps, tenants will be able to drive right into Centre City and park near their apartment on the second to sixth floors.

That's interesting.  Gut the lower floors and turn them into parking. 

The "taccked-on" portion is quite interesting architecturally for such a classic building, as it has more than one architectural style.  Well, good to see that building potentially being revived.

Then again, knowing Dayton's wonderful hood council, it'll be welfare momma's.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Centre City redevelopment moves forward

Dayton Business Journal - 5:07 PM EDT Thursday

The city of Dayton will hold a public hearing Friday, Oct. 20 at 2 p.m. regarding an application for Clean Ohio funding that would go toward the Centre City building redevelopment project.

Hutchins Commercial Realty, which has an option to buy the Centre City project building at 40 S. Main St., asked the city of Dayton to help it obtain grant money from the state of Ohio through the Clean Ohio Fund.

The $750,000 grant would go toward asbestos abatement.

The Centre City project will cost between $15 million and $20 million. The building will be redeveloped to include 100 apartment units and six floors of commercial use. The 21-story building now is 20 percent occupied and was built in 1904.

http://dayton.bizjournals.com/dayton/stories/2006/10/16/daily24.html?t=printable

So, I know there was a fire about a month ago, and I still see the plywood up over the windows that were broken out b/c of the fire. But....seriously, How long does it take to replace these windows? It's starting to get really cold out. I sure hope they get them replaced soon.

Does anyone know if anything is getting done about this?

I've read that a lot of Kettering Towers components aren't readily available, so someone was contracted to replicate the glass among other things. Don't really know how long this takes and don't know if that's true.

Or maybe downtown Dayton is just trying to blend in with it's adjacent neighborhoods by boarding up the windows?  :laugh:

From the 12/25/06 Dayton Business Journal:

Kettering Tower fire leaves its mark on tenants

Some tenants still in temporary locations

Dayton Business Journal - December 22, 2006

by Tracy Kershaw-Staley

DBJ Staff Reporter

Two months after a fire shut down its highest floors, Kettering Tower continues to work to recover.

Among the changes are a new tenant -- the law firm of Skilken and Dankof -- and Merrill Lynch has been able to move back into its home on the 25th and 26th floors.

http://dayton.bizjournals.com/dayton/stories/2006/12/25/story4.html

To reply to a comment posted earlier in this thread about the tower's "boarded windows" after the recent fire:  Just for the record, they were never "boarded."  They removed a few windows in specific spots on multiple floors after the fire and there were what looked like some kind of air-filtration devices in the window spaces (presumably to filter any remaining contaminants after the fire).  And all of those have since gone and the glass returned as usual. 

The lobby renovation seems to be coming along well, too. 

Does anybody else think that for the tallest tower in Dayton, they could maybe do a little something to light up the tower at night.  It's the basically the centerpiece of the skyline, and unless a bunch of office windows are still left on amongst the various floors, you'd barely know the thing was there. 

Any opinions or ideas??

Throw up some blue neon, like the old Miami Valley Tower and *BAM!* instant Columbus!

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

I looked closely at the Kettering tower today and on the southside where the brown "board like" material use to be, there is now a much darker black window or something. I could pressume it's a window/glass, but it's definitely not the same type of glass as the rest of the buidling, because if you look closely they stick out.

It seems as though in past Hutchins has made big announcments and never come through, so I'm expecting the same with this.  Hopefully the owners, Vontz Realty, are committed to doing something with the building, but as along as Hutchins is involved, I'm not really expecting anything to come of this.

If I would have won the mega millions Friday, this is the first thing I would have done. Bought Centre City, restored the facade and copper roof, then rehabbed it into apartments and lived in the Penthouse on the top floor! :-D

If I would have won the mega millions Friday, this is the first thing I would have done. Bought Centre City, restored the facade and copper roof, then rehabbed it into apartments and lived in the Penthouse on the top floor! :-D

^Haha, I bought my first lottery ticket this week and thought the exact same thing...but I did not win.

This was a front page story (with a big pix of downtown) on the Dayton Daily News ths Friday.

Revitalized city may begin with new life for old buildings

Dayton looks at plan to offer incentives to save vintage structures

By Joanne Huist Smith

Staff Writer

Friday, April 18, 2008

DAYTON — The City of Dayton hopes to promote transformation of vintage downtown Main Street buildings with financial incentives for developers who take them on as projects.

Target reuses, determined by the market, will be housing, jobs and amenities.

More above

@@@@

There was this other article, too, which elaborates on the cover story

Unique urban character a selling point

Lacking large parcels of land, downtown does have vintage look to attract interest.

By Joanne Huist Smith

Staff Writer

Friday, April 18, 2008

DAYTON — The city of Dayton wants to reposition its downtown core and the ring of surrounding neighborhoods to be more competitive when it comes to creating jobs, housing and amenities.

More above

Here is a diagram of "vintage" (persumably pre WWII) buildings on Main Street, since thats what they are focusing on.  Recall that thread I posted here this past fall, I think, on how Main Street was decimated by urban renewal and misguided modern developement?  That means there isnt much "old" on Main anymore, and what there is pretty big

Vintage1.jpg

..the color coding shows whats owned by govermnet or non-profits.  The only one likley for redevelopment would be Lindsey Building, owned by the city, but vacant for years.  Two of the "red" buildings (#s 5 & 6)were recently renovated by Bob Schillfer.

Expanding the look to included downtown between Wilkinson and St Clair, one sees a lot more older buildings. 

Vintage2.jpg

Places like these, where $1M/yr, or a portion of $1M could go a long way.

Vintage5.jpg

...but they are smaller, maybe cheaper to renovate due to the size. The city would get more bang for its buck by assisiting in the redevelopment of these smaller buildings, particulalry if they target clusters of them, rather than having this relativley small amount set aside for high-rise renovations (which would cost probably more like $10M and up?) on Main Street. 

Hey guys, took a break for the summer, so I need to catch up on some stuff.

First, does anybody know what's going on with 40 West 4th in downtown? Looks like it is getting a slight facade makeover, but I don't know how much of one. Haven't seen anything in the news, can someone enlighten me? If I can, I'll get a pic if no one knows what I'm talking about.

I too would also love to know what's going on. . .I drove through downtown today and was completely shocked. .. I was like Dayton didn't jyst build a new building in 2 weeks did they? It looks NOTHING like the previous building, it's almost a charcoal and grey color now. . . .gone is all the white. . .do they still have the blue neon light at night? I'd love any info on this project, if someone can share anything. Thanks

I think it looks 10x's better now than it did before. Basically, they just changed all the white to charcoal grey. I actually...gasp...like it! The building definately has a slimmer and taller look to it now. Don't see the blue neon back on yet. Not sure if it will go back up or not.

I snapped a couple pics. Will post later tonight.

I drove by this twice today. . once in the daylight and once at night. I've decided that from a distance I don't like it as well, it just looks like a big ol black box, I think they need to trim it out a little better and maybe at the top. But, from up close, I really like the look of it a lot better. . .but I still think there are little touches that need to be added. Also, I drove by tonight and there is no blue neon light. . .I REALLY hope it gets added back in, b/c I barely could make this buidling out in the dark sky. . it was PITCH black. . . .

Also. . .Caresource looks FANTASTIC from 75 and I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but the entire top of the Carersource building is outlined with a neon light that appears to dim into different colors. . .I think I saw Green, Blue, Purple, Red and a Pinkish color. . .it looks amazing.

The Grant-Deneau Tower was the orginal name and I think it opened in the late 1960s.

The design, with the white verticles, was intended to accentuate the verticality of the building and activate the facade somewhat, and the top acted as sort of a modernized version of cornice.

So it was a representative design for its era...competent but not inspired.

Painting it black was a misguided attempt to "modernize" it somehow, to make a building following the aesthetic of, say, Minoru Yamasaki or Saarinen look like a Mies Box. 

Instead of updating it they ruined the design.

Also. . .Caresource looks FANTASTIC from 75

The curved piece on Monument looks outstanding at night with all the lights inside on. I was driving by and was really impressed.  That's going to be some good office space. 

If you look at the floorplate, this is a fairly bulky building, but the design broke that up. I wasn't too impressed with the first rendering, but this place looks pretty good from all angles. 

Back at the end of October there was this op-ed by the Dayton Daily News editor on a new intitiative for downtown Dayton.

Kevin Riley: Downtown too important to slip off radar

By Kevin Riley

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Last week the Downtown Dayton Partnership announced a plan to have local architects look at 10 downtown buildings and imagine what's possible with them.  The idea goes well beyond the impressive sketches that we'll eventually see.  The architects' ideas will be shared with developers.

This volunteer effort, laudable in itself, offers a peek at behind-the-scenes efforts concerning downtown — and a renewed effort to transform it.

Downtown remains a challenge for our region, with little agreement about what its future should be. We all care about it, but we just don't know what to do about it.  Just about everyone agrees that we can't be a prosperous region without a lively downtown.

MORE: http://www.daytondailynews.com/

@@@

Fast forward to last week.  Dayon Most Metro board host provides this update on the planning effort to-date.  Looks like no more studies and a bias towards action/execution:

New Downtown Plan: Not the Same Old Thing

As some of you know, a new committee has been formed to work on transforming Downtown Dayton.  It is actually a series of three different committees, and it is unlike any effort previously undertaken here in decades.

Dr. Mike Ervin has spearheaded this effort as he has gathered business leaders, institutional leaders and city & county leaders to work on doing some truly meaningful things that will hopefully re-energize downtown in ways never previously seen.  I'm talking truly transformational stuff here.

The three committees (as previously mentioned in a DDN op-ed) are:

1.  Value Proposition Committee that has been working on a comprehensive list of things that differentiate downtown from any other area of the region (ie competitive advantages)

2.  Greater Downtown Dayton Business Plan Committee, who will be developing ONE strategic plan that is focused on core planning principles and identifying a set of priorities.

3.  Funding Committee, who will be identifying funding sources and helping to determine what is doable in terms of financing.  Those serving on this committee include area bank presidents and other financial leaders.

Stay tuned, more to come soon...

Re: Daytonnatian's comment

I agree, but I'd be willing to bet that the DDN cares more about downtown than most residents of the Dayton area.