Cleveland: Cleveland Institute of Art Expansion

Guest X

I'm not talking about style at all. I'm talking about what we see as the foundation of "good architecture". I think the foundation is in creating buildings that function well for their users. I define both "function" and "users" broadly. Circulation is a "function" of a building, as is it's ability to create shelter, both real and perceived. "Comfort" is a function as well- both physical and psychological. "User's" includes the occupants of the building, it's visitors, and others for whom the building is an actual part of their daily lives (neighbors for example).

Whether the building is "modern" or "classical" is style, but it can certainly effect the function, positively or negatively. For example, I can't imagine that the area under the hump of the Maas design would be a very psychologically comfortable space. It would likely be cave-like, dark, and cold in chilly weather.

Good architecture can be whatever style, but it must "function" well for it's "users". That is the task before an architect. If you consistently achieve that, then you are (in my reckoning) a good architect. If you're just interested in making pretty or intriguing shapes, you should be a sculptor. We have a lot of sculptors masquerading as architects these days.

Hmm. I would argue that architecture should do both, combine art, new forms, and functionality. If any of these are out of whack with each other, it renders it useless.

So, to an extent, I would agree with you .. and I fully respect your opinions. But for me, I think, I get more excited by architecture that pushes the form aspect and gives me something new and interesting to look at, without throwing away the functionality of it. Because if it swings too practical and functional, it gets rid of the artistic side of architecture, which I personally think is just as valid. But the most brilliant architecture strikes the perfect balance between both.

I still don't think people should be afraid of new forms, though, just for the sake of them being unfamiliar. I feel like a lot of times people look at modern architecture and immediately close themselves off because it looks too weird. And that frustrates me big time because I appreciate the "weirdness", I guess.

Hey, if it does all that it's great.  No doubt.  But we shouldn't ever think that "novel" can substitute for "good".

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, if it does all that it's great. No doubt. But we shouldn't ever think that "novel" can substitute for "good".

You're right. They're not necessarily synonymous. But in my perfect world, they would be.

And, for me, I think I'd rather see new over old (in terms of recycled "new" design .. not refurbished old buildings restored to beauty), regardless. But I have to be careful and consider other factors on a case by case basis, so I don't want to say for sure. :)

Hey, if it does all that it's great. No doubt. But we shouldn't ever think that "novel" can substitute for "good".

You're right. They're not necessarily synonymous. But in my perfect world, they would be.

And, for me, I think I'd rather see new over old (in terms of recycled "new" design .. not refurbished old buildings restored to beauty), regardless. But I have to be careful and consider other factors on a case by case basis, so I don't want to say for sure. :)

I'd rather see new ideas, as well.  I am just trying to explain the grounding for what I see as good in architecture, which isn't primarily aesthetic.

The thing that's funny about this whole comparison of it being a parking facility, which I'll admit it does resemble with respect to an unadorned structure (even though I'll argue that the new scheme looks more like a dogsh!t parking garage), is that it IS responding to the context of the adjacent structure which was what?  That's right, an auto factory. 

Guess what's behind the brick facade of the Ford plant, probably something that looks similiar t the original scheme.

I haven't heard it straight from Maas' mouth, but perhaps that was part of the conception of the scheme, and then he added a sense of human scale and respect to the old structure with the hump that would be utilized as a sheltered exterior space for students, and the bump out in plan as "breathing" space between the structures.

Good architecture can be whatever style, but it must "function" well for it's "users".  That is the task before an architect.  If you consistently achieve that, then you are (in my reckoning) a good architect.  If you're just interested in making pretty or intriguing shapes, you should be a sculptor.  We have a lot of sculptors masquerading as architects these days.

All true but... but I still think you are missing one element of "function."  Wouldn't CIA say that one of the "functions" of its new building is to project a certain image?  Whether or not that projection is successful is no more subjective (though measurement is certainly tough) than how its roof functions and doesn't depend on any of our individual opinions if they're not shared by the bulk of the target audience.  And the image it projects is not necessarily in tension with the other "functions" you list.

In any case, claiming people like the Maas design because it is "groundbreaking" strikes me as a bit of a straw man.  To me, it draws upon the best of well-worn post war modernism (clarity, light, flexibility of space (assuming a regular column grid in the flat portions)), with one subtle twist that corresponds to the program up above in an imaginative way.  The entrance crevice could end up being a destination for every windblown piece of trash in University Circle...but that's not an insurmountable problem.  I'd be more concerned about the cloud from all the smoking art students who would regularly be loitering out there. 

All to say, disagreement about the design is cool, but I think you (civilly) sell the design's fans a little short.

As for "starchitects" (though not sure Maas is really there yet): yeah, it's annoying as sh*t when their name blinds clients or the public to crap design (like every SOM building in Cleveland or the Rock Hall), but sometime architects earn reputations by actually being good at what they do.  I knew nothing about the designer of the CIM addition but it's probably my favorite new building in the City from the past 10 years.  And something tells me I would have thought the new CCC/Rock Hall library was junk even without knowing it was from a local firm.  Would that I could erase all familiarity with MVRDV from my mind to see if I've been blinded here...certainly can't rule it out.

Projecting an image (or advertising oneself) is definitely a function of a building, and certainly a part of what CIA wants out of this building.  That doesn't mean that it should overwhelm other needs.  I think the hump was the Maas design's "advertisement".  It was meant to show through architecture that CIA is a groundbreaking design institution.  But IMO, it is a horrible idea, because it is likely to be an abject failure as a space.  The natural lighting under their would be horrible.  It would be a cold, dark space much of the year.  A long, low arch like that would likely feel oppressive, not spacious.  God only knows what the wind pattern would be like under there, too.

Projecting an image (or advertising oneself) is definitely a function of a building, and certainly a part of what CIA wants out of this building.  That doesn't mean that it should overwhelm other needs.  I think the hump was the Maas design's "advertisement".  It was meant to show through architecture that CIA is a groundbreaking design institution.  But IMO, it is a horrible idea, because it is likely to be an abject failure as a space.  The natural lighting under their would be horrible.  It would be a cold, dark space much of the year.  A long, low arch like that would likely feel oppressive, not spacious.  God only knows what the wind pattern would be like under there, too.

Especially compared to the AMAZING natural light afforded by the glass wall on the southwest side of the current building.  I can't tell from the renderings if the new building will totally block that giant window, but having been in there, I think it would be a real loss.

I've visited several of MVRDV's buildings over the years and personally I'd trust that the space would be a well conceived one, not the dark, cold, windswept one that some of you predict.  Light is an important part of many of their previous buildings (along with their intense scenario/data based design research).  To the detriment of CIA and the city, we'll probably never figure out how it would have turned out.

Here's their site by the way.

http://www.mvrdv.nl/_v2/index.html

Projecting an image (or advertising oneself) is definitely a function of a building, and certainly a part of what CIA wants out of this building. That doesn't mean that it should overwhelm other needs. I think the hump was the Maas design's "advertisement". It was meant to show through architecture that CIA is a groundbreaking design institution. But IMO, it is a horrible idea, because it is likely to be an abject failure as a space. The natural lighting under their would be horrible. It would be a cold, dark space much of the year. A long, low arch like that would likely feel oppressive, not spacious. God only knows what the wind pattern would be like under there, too.

Especially compared to the AMAZING natural light afforded by the glass wall on the southwest side of the current building. I can't tell from the renderings if the new building will totally block that giant window, but having been in there, I think it would be a real loss.

I can't think of a less desireble thing than direct sunlight shining on me as I work on a project.

Especially compared to the AMAZING natural light afforded by the glass wall on the southwest side of the current building. I can't tell from the renderings if the new building will totally block that giant window, but having been in there, I think it would be a real loss.

That wall of glass won't be blocked (it is set in a recess of the SW facade), but it will probably receive less late afternoon direct sunlight.  You can get a sense of it from these renderings: http://www.mvrdv.nl/_v2/projects/367_cia/index.html.

• 2 weeks later...

Cleveland Institute of Art pulls back the Winy Maas veil on addition designed by Burt, Hill

Posted by Steven Litt

December 10, 2008 12:47PM

The Cleveland Institute of Art has retreated -- a bit -- from a potentially embarrassing concept for the proposed expansion of its McCullough Center on upper Euclid Avenue in University Circle.

The latest version of the design for the expansion lessens the odds that it could be perceived as a comical confrontation between the two architecture firms involved with the project, Philadelphia-based Burt, Hill and MVRDV of the Netherlands.

In November, the art institute unveiled a concept articulated by MVRDV lead partner Winy Maas, under which enormous vinyl banners would cover nearly the entire west facade of a new studio and gallery addition designed by Burt, Hill...

more at:  http://blog.cleveland.com/architecture/2008/12/cleveland_institute_of_art_pul.html

ego issues aside, one glaring problem is there's a big pushback on hanging vinyl banners, which are environmentally unfriendly.

i wish they'd go back to just designing a great addition rather than focus on those things (or just use big projections in some creative way instead, another benefit to that being it opens up the exterior to moving images).

ah well, i'm sure they'll work something out eventually.

ego issues aside, one glaring problem is there's a big pushback on hanging vinyl banners, which are environmentally unfriendly.

i wish they'd go back to just designing a great addition rather than focus on those things (or just use big projections in some creative way instead, another benefit to that being it opens up the exterior to moving images).

ah well, i'm sure they'll work something out eventually.

thats what I was thinking

What a cluster f this thing has become.

I was thinking the same thing.

I have gone from being extremely excited about this project to being hugely disappointed. I'm hoping they'll still be able to pull out something interesting, and, for an art school that wants to create a strong presence to the outside world, they should. For now, I'm not encouraged by the progress this is taking.

• 2 months later...

From Cleveland.com:

Cleveland Institute of Art will break ground in May on Uptown expansion

Posted by slitt March 12, 2009 17:11PM

The Cleveland Institute of Art's expansion now has the official go ahead.

The Cleveland Institute of Art will break ground in May on a $50.3 million expansion in University Circle, thanks in part to construction costs that have dipped along with the rest of the battered U.S. economy.

The picture they ran was the design with all those vinyl banners, and we know how I feel about those.  I didn't realize that was the final design.  While I assume the actual student art will be better than these Warhol-esque samples they used... this is looking yucko.

Maybe they should run that 15th cost estimate on MVRDV's scheme now, because this Burt Hill thing is an embarrassment.

I thought the same thing.  If it was only the last estimate out of many that came too high, maybe with the lower material cost etc., it would now be do-able.  It certainly deserved another look anyway. 

Maybe they should run that 15th cost estimate on MVRDV's scheme now, because this Burt Hill thing is an embarrassment.

Is there any way to voice an opinion on this to the school, or to whatever powers-that-be? I'm assuming this is pretty much their deal, but man .. I just really hate that Burt Hill pile of mediocre shit.

CIA is a great school. They need something that's cutting-edge.

I hate to say this but maybe they need to bring in Mr. Peter Lewis to knock some skulls together (again).  I dont know that he is being tapped for this project, but he probably should be since it is in line with one of his passions (no not pot). 

I would hope that he is subsequently being tapped for the Contemporary Art Museum, since he tends to be generous with such things (at least in NY), and he isnt likely to settle for mediocrity when it comes to something like this.

As much as I have disliked his sense of arrogance, I think this is a case where some ass kissing is in order, since it really is too important to settle for this mediocre piece of you know what that we will have to live wlth for a long time.         

I hate to disappoint you guys but if they are breaking ground in May the design is pretty much in the bag.  At this point I would imagine that the plans and specifications are already in the hands of the first tier of sub or prime contractors for pricing and bidding.  To change at this point would not only cause delay but also increase the cost.  I don't think this would go over very well with the Board of Trustees.  Of course this forum is a perfect place to vent if you are not crazy about the design, but not much can be done at this point to actually change it, in my opinion, given what has bee reported above.

Although I was a huge fan of the original proposal, I am not disappointed in what it has become. This has to be built now, while the money is there. Just get it done. Besides I believe the banner idea could become interesting. I put my faith in the creativity and skills of those at CIA to make it work.

• 5 months later...

Cleveland Institute of Art off to a rocky start of term with renovations at its Euclid Avenue facility

by Steven Litt / Plain Dealer Art Critic

Sunday September 06, 2009, 12:01 AM

Gripes are normal at any academic institution, but this year is different at the Cleveland Institute of Art.

It's a major Midwestern art college in the midst of transforming itself physically and academically in a quest for a higher national profile. That means that for the next year or so, construction must coincide with instruction.

Roughly a third of the art institute's Joseph McCullough Center for the Visual Arts, at 11610 Euclid Ave., is under renovation in the first phase of a $55 million project that will unify the institution in a single building rather than dividing it between the two it now operates at different locations in University Circle.

more at:  http://www.cleveland.com/arts/index.ssf/2009/09/cleveland_institute_of_art_off.html

• 1 year later...

I hate to be "that person" but does anybody know if CIA is going to actually start construction on the new addition this January as touted in the above article and on its website.  In other words...status?

It would be great to see construction begin along with uptown and MOCA.

• 4 weeks later...

Cruising the CIA website and am able to answer my question from a few weeks ago.

Looks as though construction of the new wing will not begin in Jan 2011 as originally thought.

Now..."goal is to get construction underway later this year"  and  "as soon as fund raising allows".

Not very concrete or promising.  Disappointing given all the other construction near by.

^ Thanks the update.

Like I've said before, internal renovations have occurred (phase I of the project), but it is still sad to see the hold up.  Now being a veteran of watching Cleveland development, and the patience that goes along with it, I am not worried...yet.

From the MOCA groundbreaking...

Cleveland Institute of Art:...Groundbreaking for the second phase of the two-part project, which calls for an addition to the institute's McCullough Center, could occur in late spring or early summer"

http://media.cleveland.com/ent_impact_arts/photo/09egmocajpg-05d85bb2f3e93fd6.jpg

The map contains information for still more projects and their timelines.

^I may be wrong but my reading of the "blurb" is that the 55 million is for the whole project and not just the new addition...that is campus consolidation and renovation of the older building which was just completed.

• 2 months later...

http://www.cia.edu/CIANOW.aspx?id=5089

The renovation of CIA’s historic Joseph McCullough Center for the Visual Arts earned the Cleveland Institute of Art a 2011 Preservation Award.

"In May, the Cleveland Institute of Art will receive a 2011 Preservation Award from the Cleveland Restoration Society and AIA Cleveland commending the recently completed renovation of CIA’s 96-year-old Joseph McCullough Center for the Visual Arts on Euclid Avenue...

...The McCullough building renovation is the first phase of an overall campus modernization and unification initiative. Phase II will entail the construction of a new 91,000-square-foot building immediately west of and fully interconnected with the McCullough building. Nunes, CIA administrators, and members of the Institute’s board of directors are now reviewing final plans for the new building. The goal is to get construction underway later this year."

CIA_Campus_Unification.jpg

An artist’s rendering of the new CIA

http://www.cia.edu/campus_unification/

• 5 months later...

A welcome update on the CIA project on Euclid:

Gund Foundation and family members give $5 million boost to Cleveland Institute of Art expansion in University Circle

CLEVELAND, Ohio — The Cleveland Institute of Art on Thursday landed a $5 million grant from the Gund Foundation and members of the Gund family, giving a big push to the college’s expansion plans in University Circle.

Some key excerpts:

The gift doubles the total given by the Gund Foundation and family to the art institute’s project, from $5 million to $10 million, and brings the total raised for the project so far to $52 million, or about 79 percent of the $66 million needed.

and

The college hopes to break ground in the first six months of 2012 on the expansion, which will take 16 months to build. The addition will house galleries, offices, instructional spaces and the Cinematheque theater.

Full article at: http://www.cleveland.com/arts/index.ssf/2011/11/gund_foundation_and_family_mem.html

Any maybe the clearest rendering yet of what the new design will look like: http://media.cleveland.com/ent_impact_arts/photo/ax082-5ef2-9jpg-28f2d9d4038b382a.jpg

Tough to know what to think without knowing more about the facade materials.

It's OK to share the rendering. The PD doesn't own it.....

CIA-plannedexpansion.jpg

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

^I don't know if any renderings have shown what E116th will look like at the end of the day, but the Uptown site plan gives a sense how the new Uptown and CIA buildings will relate to one another to define the edges of the street: http://www.uptowncleveland.com/pdfs/uptown-map.pdf

That revamped E116th could be a pretty important pedestrian route between CWRU housing/CIA and the new rapid station (and any Lot 45 development), so I hope it's getting the royal pedestrian design treatment!  Too bad the Triangle parking garage back there is such a stinker.

• 2 months later...

Mandel family funds art institute’s screening room

Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 1:32 pm | Updated: 3:43 pm, Thu Jan 26, 2012.

MARILYN H. KARFELD

Senior Staff Reporter | 0 comments

The Mandel Foundation has continued its longstanding support of Cleveland educational institutions with a $500,000 gift to The Cleveland Institute of Art's capital campaign.

The art institute has recognized the contribution by naming its new, high-tech video and film screening room in honor of the Mandel brothers - Jack (who died last year at age 99), Joseph and Morton.

http://www.clevelandjewishnews.com/news/local/article_6d03bb48-484c-11e1-a21d-001871e3ce6c.html

• 5 months later...

Peter B. Lewis donates $5 million to the Cleveland Institute of Art, his biggest hometown donation in a decade

Published: Tuesday, July 10, 2012, 5:30 PM    Updated: Tuesday, July 10, 2012, 6:32 PM

Steven Litt, The Plain Dealer By Steven Litt, The Plain Dealer

Peter B. Lewis, the iconoclastic insurance executive and philanthropist, has done an about-face on his hometown by making a $5 million donation to the Cleveland Institute of Art.

“It’s the first time in a long time I’ve been impressed by Cleveland,” he said. “I’m impressed by the achievement and accomplishment, I’m impressed all around.”

His $5 million gift to the art institute puts it in a position to complete by late 2014 a $66 million renovation and expansion of its Joseph McCullough Center for the Visual Arts on Euclid Avenue at East 115th Street, Nunes said.

Lewis’s gift will help the Cleveland Institute of Art, a private, four-year art college, break ground later this year for its new Gund Building, an expansion of the McCullough Center studio complex, Nunes said. The art institute’s board is set to vote in August on scheduling the groundbreaking, Nunes said.

http://blog.cleveland.com/architecture/2012/07/peter_b_lewis_donates_5_millio.html