David

Cincinnati: Bicycling Developments and News

I would have to imagine the Blue Ash system is doing terribly with the possible exception of any stations located in Summit Park which are probably doing reasonably well. 

Indeed, even their so-called "walkable" downtown is anything but, and it's not bikeable either.  Tooling around within Summit Park I agree could be appealing to some people for a little while, but that'll get old fast.  It's also smack in the middle of some truly awful rush hour traffic with no way around it.  I biked to work in Blue Ash a handful of times, and I'm generally not too afraid of most streets, but Kenwood and Pfeiffer suck, and the few possible alternate routes are all clipped at critical locations making them useless. 

If Blue Ash wanted to they could be like Carmel, Indiana.  They are flush with office income taxes and could create a network of bike paths, trails, etc., and really punch up their downtown.  Instead they seem to be just pissing away their gains on a park you can only drive to, while settling for bland office parks and bland suburban subdivisions.  It's a very Cincinnati kind of mindset, sadly.  But you know once the newness wears off, which is already happening, they're going to find that that they have very little left to offer. 

• Like 1

Voice of America Park and Summit Park are each pretty sad places.  Both have disorganized layouts.  Each should have a bike/run paved path around their outsides, but neither do.  

39 minutes ago, jmecklenborg said:

Voice of America Park and Summit Park are each pretty sad places.  Both have disorganized layouts.  Each should have a bike/run paved path around their outsides, but neither do.  

Summit more a less does have this, with the only issue being that you have to cross cooper at the bottom.  It gets a fair amount of use with people running from the rec center.

DOTE is now planning to build a "shared use path" along Central Parkway between Marshall Ave and Ludlow Ave at a cost of $3.3 million, instead of just extending the on-street bike lanes north like was originally planned, which would have cost less than $1 million IIRC. Millions of dollars wasted all because one person doesn't like bike lanes.

pat_laFleur_2019-Jun-25.jpg

37 minutes ago, taestell said:

DOTE is now planning to build a "shared use path" along Central Parkway between Marshall Ave and Ludlow Ave at a cost of $3.3 million, instead of just extending the on-street bike lanes north like was originally planned, which would have cost less than $1 million IIRC. Millions of dollars wasted all because one person doesn't like bike lanes.

pat_laFleur_2019-Jun-25.jpg

I'm torn. I generally believe we need WAY more on-street bike lanes, especially downtown. But I also think that the separated path option is the better one here. More people feel comfortable using it. 

I first rode my BMX bike on that sidewalk when I was 12.  Worked just fine.  A shared path will be a lot better than a continuation of the flippy thing bike lanes.    

The Central Parkway lanes are looking terrible.  In many sections half of the flippy things are missing.  

This past weekend I saw cars parked in the bike lane near the Wooden Nickel and an SUV driving on the sidewalk between the parked cars and the buildings.  

Yeah, I see cars parked in the bike lanes all the time, they aren't maintained, there are still some broken portions by Ravine, and the street transition is awkward as you approach from the north.

It is interesting seeing all that grassy space between the Central Pkwy and I-75 and the worn down sidewalk there while the bike lane also falls apart, I always thought a bike path would be better suited there.  I actually agree with DOTE for once, the only downside is the cost. 

The other thing is that now it is a weird combo of half path half bike lane to get downtown from Northside (for example).  Now the portion from Marshall to the Brighton Approach should also be a shared use path, as there is a (overgrown) sidewalk and room for it.

Edited by 10albersa

There is almost no such thing as a bike path that doesn't change character.  Even the short Lunken Airport trail changes widths at a random spot.  

What I don't get is why they aren't building the path on the rapid transit ROW.  That would avoid the Monmouth St. overpass intersection and if it is routed around the city maintenance garage could avoid MLK/Hopple as well.  

Some people have suggested using the subway tunnel for bikes.  Well, the short tunnel under the Hopple St. intersection would work.  It's a short tunnel so security wouldn't be a problem, but digging out the north portal might be expensive.  

When/if the western hills viaduct is rebuilt, a bike path could be built in line with the Central Ave. stub at Brighton that would continue along the outside wall of the subway and then onto the ROW and pass over Marshall Ave. on a bridge.  That is assuming, of course, the subway continues to not be used.  

Even if a shared path alongside the street is the better option, is it worth spending 3 times as much as the protected bike lanes that were originally planned?

That's a perfect way to make sure the city makes as little progress on bike infrastructure as possible... blow the budget on a few fancy trails instead of putting down some paint and bollards for a fraction of the cost and building a much larger network.

^ And screw up the transition between the bike lanes and shared path.  Where a two-way shared path is on the same side of the street as the direction of travel, it's no big deal, but when it's on the opposite side, "just use the pedestrian crosswalk" is not acceptable.  They blew it at MLK and Gilbert by making no accommodation, and they'll do the same at Marshall. 

2 hours ago, jmecklenborg said:

What I don't get is why they aren't building the path on the rapid transit ROW.  That would avoid the Monmouth St. overpass intersection and if it is routed around the city maintenance garage could avoid MLK/Hopple as well.  

Because this city is obsessed with eliminating the possibility of public transit expansion at every turn 

But wouldn't NOT building on the transit ROW be the prudent choice if you want to keep transit possibilities open? 

Cincinnati’s newest bike trail to open

tp-bryan-bobo-mountain-bike*750xx5184-29

A new bike trail will open Wednesday in Mount Airy Forest as part of a partnership between the city of Cincinnati and the Cincinnati Off-Road Alliance (CORA).

The first phase of the 1.4-mile, unpaved, multi-use trail is aimed at mountain bikes, hikers, walkers and trail runners.

The idea for additional off-road trails that could be used by mountain bikers was first introduced in the failed 2015 parks levy. A second phase is expected to be developed. Two years ago, the Cincinnati Board of Park Commissioners gave CORA permission to build a four-to-six-mile natural surface trail in the forest.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/07/15/cincinnati-s-newest-bike-trial-to-open.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Newport commissioners OK final stage of riverfront walking, biking pathway

big-mac-bridge*750xx601-338-63-104.jpg

The final stage of a project to complete an 11.5-mile walking/biking path along the Northern Kentucky side of the Ohio River has received approval by commissioners.

Newport city commissioners have approved a memorandum of understanding with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet to construct two elevated pedestrian walkways connecting the Riverfront Commons pathway to the Taylor-Southgate Bridge, according to a statement released from the city of Newport on July 25.

The commissioners awarded a $1.2 million contract to Sunesis Construction Co. in West Chester Township to build the pair of bridges.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/07/25/newport-commissioners-ok-final-stage-of-riverfront.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

^Good job running a photo of two bridges - neither of which are the bridge being discussed.  

But this is great news.  It'll bring a lot of new foot and bicycle traffic to the top of the levee near BB Riverboats, where you currently have to either climb or walk down a ton of steps.  

^^11.5 miles is awesome. Is there a map showing where the trail will run? How much is already in place? Will the entire 11.5 miles be grade-separated?

I found this map, but not sure how up-to-date it is, since it still shows portions under "2017 construction": http://nkyriverfrontcommons.com/index.html?appid=8e0658ec1fe74c6eb656180a9a7aab9a

The articles made it sound like the bridges are the only remaining pieces, but in fact most of the trail hasn't been built yet. I wish the articles would be cleared about what is currently built and when future portions will be completed. 

image.thumb.png.ffc4796701faca39892937eae5b5b33c.png

Looks like US 52 in eastern Hamilton County and Clermont county is getting bike lane markings on the shoulder. I noticed it this morning on my way to work. Right now they have temp markings about 2'-0" inside the shoulder for another line and slashes. Also "bike" with an arrow was hand spray painted onto the shoulder in various spots. looks like it will go all the way to the Kellogg exit off of 52 in both directions to New Richmond

Edited by cincybiker

I made this video of a 1-day Cincinnati>Columbus ride 10 years ago this month:

This was before GoPro, so the quality is startlingly bad compared to what we're used to now.  I think the original file was a bit better so maybe I'll try to re-upload it if vimeo/youtube now allow larger file sizes. 

• Like 1

Temporary striping of the bike lanes on Montgomery Road through Pleasant Ridge and Kennedy Heights is in while they're working on repaving.  It's a bit disappointing how long the non-bike-lane section is through the middle of Pleasant Ridge, from Langdon Farm to Grand Vista.  There's a center turn lane and two lanes each way in that stretch, with parking allowed in the curb lane during off-peak hours.  Overall a weak implementation, but better than it was, which was nothing.  It's kind of astounding that they had a 6-lane cross section with only 50' of pavement.  If it was 55' wide then they could've done it like Delta.  https://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/dote/dote-projects/montgomery-road-safety-project/