Bucyrus / Crawford County: Development and News

Guest grasscat

A press release from the Ohio Department of Development, 9/26/05:

TAFT ANNOUNCES GRANTS TO BUSINESSES AND COMMUNITIES

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

September 26, 2005

Crawford County will receive a $200,000 Roadwork Development (629) Grant to complete public roadwork in support of the Crossroads Industrial Center in the city of Bucyrus.  Crawford County will construct a 3,655 lineal foot extension of Gulling Drive and complete the basic infrastructure of Holmes Court South in the Industrial Center, providing access to additional lots that are available in the Center, allowing it to be fully developed.  Additionally, the roadwork will provide access to a new 61,000 square-foot speculative building being constructed by Weithman Bucyrus, LLC, a local contractor and developer. The eligible roadwork includes base, pavement, and related construction.

The Business Development Account (412) is a grant program to assist companies and communities that are creating or retaining jobs in Ohio.  The Roadwork Development Account (629) provides grant assistance to communities for highway and road projects related to job creation and retention.  The 629 Program is funded with gas tax dollars and is restricted to public road projects only.

http://www.odod.state.oh.us/newsroom/releases/1336.asp

• 1 year later...

It doesn't get much better than Galion for small Ohio towns.

100_0757.jpg

100_0755-1.jpg

100_0756-1.jpg

100_0758-1.jpg

100_0759.jpg

100_0760-1.jpg

100_0761.jpg

It was 93 degrees, but Galion didn't bother to have their water fountain turned on. I left Galion feeling that it was extremely univiting because of that, but I suppose that is a little harsh.

100_0762-1.jpg

100_0763.jpg

100_0773-1.jpg

100_0774-1.jpg

100_0775.jpg

100_0776-1.jpg

100_0777-1.jpg

Kind of reminds me of Hamilton's WPA municipal building

100_0778.jpg

100_0779.jpg

100_0780-1.jpg

100_0781-1.jpg

100_0782-1.jpg

100_0783-1.jpg

100_0784-1.jpg

OSFC strikes again!  :cry:

100_0786-1.jpg

100_0788.jpg

100_0789.jpg

100_0790.jpg

100_0792.jpg

100_0793.jpg

100_0794-1.jpg

100_0795.jpg

100_0796.jpg

100_0797.jpg

100_0799.jpg

100_0800-1.jpg

100_0803.jpg

100_0804.jpg

100_0805-1.jpg

OMG!  You picked the one day in the last two weeks I was out of town - had a business meeting in downtown Cleveland.  My son is actually in the "Galion High School last day" photo (main group, fourth row from bottom, second from right, striped shirt).

I did a couple of Galion spreads a couple of years back; think the pics still work:

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4220.0

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4144.0

Oh.. and by the way... the last shot is the defunct Lazarus at Richland Mall in Ontario.  We don't claim it!

Thomas/presOhio (and Galion resident)

Oh.. and by the way... the last shot is the defunct Lazarus at Richland Mall in Ontario.  We don't claim it!

Prehaps you should, it is pretty awesome! (for 1960's retail architecture)

Check out the former "Big Four" railroad depot at Galion.  It is currently being restored and could very well see passenger trains agin as Galion is on the 3-C Corridor (Cleveland-Columbus-Cincinnati) as part of the Ohio Hub Plan ( www.ohiohub.com)

The drinking fountain thing -- I swear, Ohio is the biggest bunch of pussies about outdoor drinking fountains. "You never know, there be might be a FREEZE left!" People don't turn them on 'till July, if at all. "Well, there's only a couple months left till the next FREEZE." Bullshit, how often is there a hard freeze after May 1st or before October 15th, especially south of I-70? I'm looking at you, Cincinnati, Portsmouth, Jackson and Ironton. I bet Michigan leaves them on longer than we do!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bucyrus is pleasant...but the people, geeze!  :x

100_0732.jpg

100_0733.jpg

100_0734.jpg

100_0735.jpg

100_0736.jpg

Crawford County Courthouse

100_0738.jpg

100_0739.jpg

As soon as I took the last photo, this Barney Fife character comes running across the street telling me to stop. He ran my drivers liscence and told dispatch to note that I was taking photos of the courthouse and annex. He told me that my actions were of terrorist nature and told me I shouldn't be taking photos of a civic building like the courthouse.  :x :-P

100_07392.jpg

100_0740.jpg

100_0741.jpg

100_0742.jpg

100_0743.jpg

100_0744.jpg

100_0745.jpg

100_0746.jpg

What now? Darn Crawford Countians!

100_07462.jpg

100_0747.jpg

100_0749.jpg

100_0750.jpg

100_0751.jpg

100_0752.jpg

100_0753.jpg

100_0754.jpg

I've never heard of this place but the murals are nice. And no, that's not Barney Fife. Barney Fife patrols Loveland Ohio, and he likes to give citations for "failure to dim lights" and call for backup to interrogate you and your friend separately because of it.

I was pretty upset the day it occured, but I find it comical now. I just wish I could have got a full shot before he stopped me. Oh well, I hope it made the guy feel important, I don't suppose he gets much excitement in quiet Bucyrus.

As soon as I took the last photo, this Barney Fife character comes running across the street telling me to stop. He ran my drivers liscence and told dispatch to note that I was taking photos of the courthouse and annex. He told me that my actions were of terrorist nature and told me I shouldn't be taking photos of a civic building like the courthouse.

My mouth dropped reading that. What a...

Bucyrus looks pretty cute.  Used to go there every once in a while with a good friend while at OSU.  The courthouse looks much cleaner than I remember it.  Who knew you were scoping it out for terrorist activities?  Urban Ohio....hotbed of upheaval and civil unrest.

• 2 years later...

I'm not going to bag on Galion, my two nieces go to school there..  But, I'd take Bucyrus in a heartbeat over Galion, especially after they get done with the $5M makeover downtown thanks to the stimulus plan.  At least Bucyrus is the county seat of Crawford county, is the "Bratwurst Capital of America", and catches all of the Columbus traffic going to and from Cedar Point & Put-in-Bay on SR 4.  BTW, State Route 4 is also the other "3-C highway" in Ohio,  Just north of Bucyrus is Chatfield-Carrothers-Caroline, all stunning villages..

With all that said, I wouldn't live in either.  If I had to live in a small Northern Ohio town (non-suburb of any major city), I'd take Norwalk or Wooster.  Both Norwalk & Wooster have some beautiful old buildings, and most are well kept.

OK, not responding just because I am a Galionite (and current Galion resident), although I might be a bit biased in that direction. I gotta say, though, that:

1. A massive streetscape project does not automatically result in a revitalized downtown. Unfortunately, not only has Bucyrus lost a great deal of historic fabric downtown over the last few years, back it lacks a design review ordinance to project investment in downtown buildings. It also lacks a comprehensive downtown revitalization organization or effort.

2. You are the first person I have ever known to have described Chatfield as a "stunning village."

3. As for the other cities you mention, Norwalk is very nice; Wooster has issues. Tiffin, particularly with the rescue of the Seneca County Courthouse, may well be the gem of the bunch.

I will close with a handful of other Galion photos - including a bit of residential...

HPIM0218.jpg

HPIM0317.jpg

HPIM0241.jpg

HPIM0195.jpg

HPIM0173.jpg

HPIM0166.jpg

HPIM0321.jpg

HPIM0597.jpg

HPIM0294.jpg

HPIM0206.jpg

True, Ink.... but I suppose what irks me a bit about that mural is that in the very few years since it was painted, the Quinby Block (the large brick structure on the left) was lost, leaving the yellow brick building on the left, the Courthouse, and the small blueish structure in the middle as the sole surviving structures represented in that scene. Its like a huge advertisement saying "Here's what we used to be!"

True, Ink.... but I suppose what irks me a bit about that mural is that in the very few years since it was painted, the Quinby Block (the large brick structure on the left) was lost, leaving the yellow brick building on the left, the Courthouse, and the small blueish structure in the middle as the sole surviving structures represented in that scene. Its like a huge advertisement saying "Here's what we used to be!"

I guess you didn't catch my wink.

• 4 months later...

Timken calls back 55 workers

By KIMBERLY GASURAS • News Journal

January 30, 2010

BUCYRUS -- The Bucyrus Timken plant is calling back 55 workers.

"Some workers went back this week, some come back to work on Monday and another group will be back to work on Feb. 5," said Lorrie Paul-Crum, spokesperson for Timken.

Plant manager Jon Mazander said 29 workers will be placed in the bearings plant and another 25 in the distribution center, which is set to close later this year.

Read More Here

• 4 months later...

June 28, 2010

Ohio preservation group targets theater

BY TERRICHA BRADLEY

Telegraph-Forum

BUCYRUS -- The Bucyrus Community Theatre organization has picked up the mantle and is moving forward with renovations at the historic building.

The theater at South Sandusky Avenue and East Warren Street was purchased from Randy Strauch in 2007. The organization's president, Joe Armbruster, said he hopes the restoration will bring added life to downtown.

"We are doing this for the people, so they can enjoy this place," Armbruster said. "When the city has events, this place will be buzzing. That's one of the reasons for doing this."

Full story at: http://www.bucyrustelegraphforum.com/article/20100628/NEWS01/6280301/-1/

It's not just Bucyrus....

July 4, 2010

Old Movie Houses Find Audience in the Plains

By PATRICIA LEIGH BROWN

for The New York Times

LANGDON, N. D. — Every Friday through Monday night, from her perch behind the Skittles and the M&M’s, Amy Freier awaits the faithful at the historic Roxy Theater. There is Dale Klein, the school bus driver (large Diet Pepsi with a refill). And there is Jeannette Schefter, the social worker (large plain popcorn, medium Diet).

“You know who comes,” said Ms. Freier, one of 200 volunteers in this town of roughly 2,000 who are keeping the Roxy’s neon glowing. “They’re part of the theater.”

In an age of streaming videos and DVDs, the small town Main Street movie theater is thriving in North Dakota, the result of a grass-roots movement to keep storefront movie houses, with their jewel-like marquees and facades of careworn utility, at the center of community life.

Full story at: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/05/us/05theater.html?_r=1&hp

• 10 years later...

Pressure on Walmart to halt outsourcing of its Light Bulb manufacturing jobs gains traction as Bucyrus officials take fight to the top

Crawford County Now Staff - Mar. 6, 2021

The-GE-1200x768.jpg

"On Saturday, in a show of growing public pressure for Walmart to stand up to its supplier, GE-Savant LLC, and demand they keep manufacturing jobs for the retailer’s in-house “Made in America” LED light bulb line in the U.S., labor and environmental groups across the country will continue their third weekend of rallies at Walmart stores nationwide. ... The Walmart brand light bulbs are currently made by IUE-CWA workers in Bucyrus, OH, one of the only residential lighting plants left in the United States, and the decision to offshore the product line to China will result in over 80 layoffs, set to take effect this Saturday."