Sign in to follow this  
Guest inkaelin

Oxford / Miami University: Development and News

These are top notch!  I noticed that like in Chicago they are using Cinder Blocks to cut cost, which make the building look more convincingly urban than putting a brick front with a vinyl sided side...

(I'm thinking specifically of a ton of Infill project in Cincinnati... they really need to learn how to do them right!)

From the 2/4/2012 Hamilton Journal-News:

Miami OKs $73M in projects

New residence hall and dining hall, extensive renovations part of plan

By Meagan Engle, Staff Writer

OXFORD — Miami University is preparing construction projects totaling more than $73 million.

The university plans to construct a new residence hall and a new dining hall, and renovate Cook Field, the equestrian center and another residence hall.

The housing and dining projects are part of a 15-year plan for renovations and new construction, which includes three new residence halls on western campus.

“In the fall of 2014, this campus is going to look a lot different,” said Finance Director David Creamer.

http://www.journal-news.com/news/hamilton-news/miami-oks-73m-in-projects-1323415.html

Drawings/renderings of the new residence hall and dining facility:

NewMUDorm.jpg

maple-st-5.jpg

http://www.cbtarchitects.com/initiatives/works-in-progress/index.php?id=235

More updates...

7 WEST HIGH

Complete

2011_0309OTR20016.jpg

Before (from above)

100_8073.jpg

CALISTA TOWER

Complete

2011_0309OTR20019.jpg

Before (from above)

100_8096.jpg

DUBOIS BOOKSTORE

Complete

2011_0309OTR20021.jpg

Before (from above)

100_8097.jpg

Construction is well underway on the first phase of the new Armstrong Student Center; the phase includes the renovation of Gaskill and Rowan Halls and a connector addition between the two buildings on a former parking lot.

2011_0309OTR20027.jpg

2011_0309OTR20043.jpg

2011_0309OTR20037.jpg

2011_0309OTR20041.jpg

2011_0309OTR20036.jpg

2011_0309OTR20030.jpg

2011_0309OTR20024.jpg

2011_0309OTR20022.jpg

man - it's hard to believe i graudated from there 10 years ago (time goes too fast) - but it looks like a place i've never seen before with all those changes.  Kind of sad - but I do like the all the new build

Some new items to note...

The Princess Theater has closed:

http://oxfordtownie.com/2012/11/27/the-princess-theater-has-gone-dark-townies-of-oxford-save-our-princess/

According to a just opened Twitter account, Panera will be opening in Oxford in February 2013:

https://twitter.com/PaneraOxford

Location unknown, but I'd assume Stewart Square.

Speaking of the Square, a Hampton Inn just opened there:

http://www.miamistudent.net/news/community/hampton-inn-opens-in-oxford-1.2958792

A number of projects are wrapping up construction, so I thought it was due time for an update.

Armstrong Student Center

DSCF9043_zpsfed8fe2c.jpg

DSCF9031_zpsd509f6e0.jpg

DSCF9034_zpsaeea0853.jpg

DSCF9036_zps319ebd19.jpg

DSCF9037_zpsbf5848b9.jpg

Kreger Hall - 1931 structure receiving addition and rehab for Department of Physics

DSCF9028_zps69a1cbd2.jpg

DSCF9029_zps737cd037.jpg

Maple Street Station - a new concept dining hall arranged like a strip of shops

DSCF9048_zpsfacfa9b1.jpg

DSCF9045_zps5346ba0e.jpg

DSCF9046_zps1fef395b.jpg

DSCF9049_zpsd27c0316.jpg

DSCF9051_zps29602e21.jpg

Etheridge Hall - a new dorm completing the fourth side of the MET (Morris, Emerson, Tappan) quad

DSCF9054_zps4304eda7.jpg

DSCF9056_zps185f7c8a.jpg

DSCF9052_zpscbfbaaec.jpg

DSCF9061_zps8e709b6a.jpg

Thanks for the pics Ink.

Question you may or may not be able to answer.  I note that they are renovating Kreger.  I was not aware they had the funds for this.  As I recall, Phase 2 of the Armstrong Student Center involves incorporating Culler into the complex but this could not be done until funds were found to renovate Kreger and move the departments currently in Culler into Kreger.  Since the renovation of Kreger is going forward, does that mean that Phase 2 of the student center will begin shortly (or are they still seeking funding for Phase 2)?

^Miami received capital funds from the state to rehab Kreger. This will vacate Culler, but I do not believe they have funds for phase 2 of the student center (incorporating Culler) at this time.

^Uptown has slowed down after several years of new mixed-use buildings. Other than the reconstruction of the fire-damaged Fiji House, I am not aware of anything significant (although that may be because I am in town much less regularily these days).

What ink said. I was back home in Oxford last month. The only thing that sticks out in my mind is the BP gas station being sold and torn down. As for uptown, that's about it.

Oh, just remembered. For us old-timers Hole In The Wall bar is back and the Princess theater will reopen sometime soon with upgrades from the new local owners. But this is now veering off-topic so I'll hush my mouth.

Very cool thread and great pictures Ink!

I'm in Oxford now finishing up some stuff, so here's what is happening / has happened recently:

Since the pictures posted above, the Armstrong Student Center now has landscaping and sidewalks complete in front. It is scheduled to open in January. Details posted below:

http://www.forloveandhonor.org/s/916/flah-2-col.aspx?sid=916&gid=1&pgid=989

MapleStreet Station, the new dining hall posted above has seven restaurants (yes, restaurants) - a pizza place, a Jewish deli, a pastry / baked goods / coffee shop, a Smashburger style burger place, and an IHOP style all-day breakfast place (with the full-service wait staff as well). The other two concepts, a southeast Asian food place and a South American place, have been unsuccessful thus far and will likely be retooled. A floor of dorms are above, and the dining hall replaces the former Hamilton and Scott Dining Halls (which are going to be converted into sorority living rooms). What it looks like inside posted below:

http://www.cbtarchitects.com/initiatives/works-in-progress/index.php?id=235

Ethridge Hall sits right next to MapleStreet Station on the newly renovated MET (now MEET) quad. Drainage problems have been fixed and new patio areas have been installed.

Additionally, three new dorms are being built on Western campus, as well as a replacement for Alexander Dining Center. They are very large! And they are part of a large plan to re-do all dorms called the Miami Makeover. Links below:

http://www.cbtarchitects.com/initiatives/works-in-progress/index.php?id=281

http://www.cbtarchitects.com/architecture/academic/residential-life/index.php?id=223

http://pfd.muohio.edu/projects/Housing_Master_Plan_2011.pdf

Anderson and MacFarland Halls are currently being gutted. Renovation should be complete sometime in 2015.

In uptown, the former BP is being converted into another larger apartment / retail building. I have not heard about any plans to re-open the Princess yet, but I have heard rumors of a KTV bar opening in town (possibly at the Princess?). Either way, I doubt the Princess will reopen without a liquor license.

A few updates from May...

Armstrong Student Center - now complete and open

DSCF1194_zps991c36e4.jpg

DSCF1195_zps41c01a06.jpg

DSCF1196_zpsc94fe2f9.jpg

Kreger Hall - new rear addition fronting Spring Street

DSCF1190_zpsc2a6e655.jpg

DSCF1192_zpsf2762643.jpg

Western Campus Dorms - three new dorms designed with both Western College stone & Miami University brick influences

DSCF1209_zps2e1dc219.jpg

DSCF1210_zpsc29ea3a1.jpg

DSCF1211_zps8e7d52fb.jpg

DSCF1212_zpsbfb7282b.jpg

Cook Field Entrance / Restrooms - inspired by the four historic gatehouses constructed at Miami Field in 1935; those gatehouses now stand at Yaeger Stadium

DSCF1208_zps97256852.jpg

Diggin' the Western Campus dorms.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

^Same. I'm really glad they didn't go with the traditional red brick and respected the architecture of the Western campus

^The only problem now is that Havighurst is traditional Miami red brick and is stuck in the middle of Western. Perhaps they could reclad some of it in stone when it is renovated.

^The only problem now is that Havighurst is traditional Miami red brick and is stuck in the middle of Western. Perhaps they could reclad some of it in stone when it is renovated.

When Havighurst was built in the early '80's, the Western Campus folks were NOT pleased that it would look like a 'traditional' Miami building. They wanted a stone facade and not the Miami red brick. And not to split hairs, but Havighurst is on the edge of Western closest to the main campus.

It's good to know the new buildings will be in line with the Western appearance.

^The three new dorms were built between Havighurst and Bachelor, so Havighurst is no longer on the edge of Western.

When Havighurst was built in the early '80's, the Western Campus folks were NOT pleased that it would look like a 'traditional' Miami building. They wanted a stone facade and not the Miami red brick. And not to split hairs, but Havighurst is on the edge of Western closest to the main campus.

It's good to know the new buildings will be in line with the Western appearance.

I could imagine. Being a current Miami student who occasionally walks past Havinghurst Hall (with the construction date on the sign out front), it was built almost immediately after Western College was acquired by Miami University, in 1976 if I remember correctly (I am 100% certain it was completed in the 1970s).

To me, Havinghurst's construction almost seems like a dog marking its territory. A horrendous move on the university's part. When they first announced the construction of the new dorms on Western, I was very worried this was going to happen again. But thank goodness it did not! There is a weird red brick section on one of the new dorms near Havinghurst, I'm assuming it's there to tie Havinghurst into Western better.

I could imagine. Being a current Miami student who occasionally walks past Havinghurst Hall (with the construction date on the sign out front), it was built almost immediately after Western College was acquired by Miami University, in 1976 if I remember correctly (I am 100% certain it was completed in the 1970s).

To me, Havinghurst's construction almost seems like a dog marking its territory. A horrendous move on the university's part. When they first announced the construction of the new dorms on Western, I was very worried this was going to happen again. But thank goodness it did not! There is a weird red brick section on one of the new dorms near Havinghurst, I'm assuming it's there to tie Havinghurst into Western better.

FWIW. Miami acquired Western in 1974. Havighurst's construction was completed in 1983, and opened that same year.

A few updates from October...

Western Campus Dorms and Dining Hall - complete

DSCF4441_zpsdcf2b607.jpg

DSCF4440_zpsfbef007e.jpg

DSCF4439_zps166093e6.jpg

DSCF4436_zps0624497c.jpg

DSCF4437_zps5a9673ac.jpg

DSCF4429_zpsaf421292.jpg

DSCF4426_zps050f7759.jpg

DSCF4434_zpsa3242f29.jpg

DSCF4430_zps8c1a1f6e.jpg

DSCF4435_zps8a1568b1.jpg

DSCF4428_zpse7e4b114.jpg

Kreger Hall Rear Addition - complete

DSCF4416_zps56c2fd95.jpg

DSCF4417_zps14944e4a.jpg

DSCF4413_zps18d77429.jpg

Symmes Hall - rehab and dining hall addition underway

DSCF4424_zpsbddbd651.jpg

DSCF4423_zps3d95e032.jpg

Shideler Hall - auditorium demolished to make way for new front addition

DSCF4409_zps38e4758a.jpg

DSCF4406_zpsf6b4b370.jpg

Glad to see they are starting to use traditional lampposts again (at least on Central quad...I note the Western pics have the modern lighting).

Thanks for the update

What's the significance with the (boarded up) windows?

DSCF4417_zps14944e4a.jpg

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

^I am not sure why bricked in windows were part of the design. Those corners are stair towers, so I think windows could have been incorporated.

^I am not sure why bricked in windows were part of the design. Those corners are stair towers, so I think windows could have been incorporated.

I've been noticing that architectural trend recently. I guess it's to give the illusion that it's an older building that had been renovated/reconfigured over the years...

Bricked in windows in new buildings isn't something new. Buildings from hundreds of years ago used that exact same method as a balancing technique when an actual window didn't make sense. So it's not a new idea.

That being said, I think it's stupid. Granted I also think everything Miami is building is stupid since it's 2014, but that's neither here nor there.

Bummer news in Oxford. A new sprawling apartment complex has been approved South of town on US 27.

Historical Oxford, known as the "mile square," has traditionally been where students live once they move off campus. It has a tight, urban street grid. However, suburbanization affected this small college town just as much as it affected larger cities. Large apartment complexes were built outside of town. You can't walk to them - they operate shuttle busses to and from campus. On US 27 particularly, a steep hill separates the apartment complexes from campus.

When I was at Miami from 2006-2010, we started to see an urban renaissance, as mixed use high rises were built along High Street in Uptown Oxford (seen upthread) and also along Spring and Church Sts, and the sprawling complexes fell out of fashion. Now they are building a new one, reversing the positive trend of the past few years. I weep for my alma mater.  :cry:

The last thing Oxford needs is a new development

By Kyle Hayden, Design Editor

Recently, Trinitas Ventures LLC, a developer from Lafayette, IN, pushed a proposal for a 192-unit, 668-bed development on Southpointe Parkway (right across the street from Level 27) through the Planning Commission to City Council.

More: http://miamistudent.net/?p=17011954

Looking through this makes me all the more sad that the area around University of Cincinnati wasn't redeveloped better - a ton of these would fit in better in Cincy than the crap they got stuck with.

Yes, if you look at the comments from the article above from the Miami Student, there is a comment from a member of the planning commission who described what happened. They got backed into a corner... I pasted the final paragraph of the comment below.

I just hope this project doesn't completely mess up the rental market in that town. 668 beds is a lot. Something like 3-4% of the total undergrads at Miami. On the bright side, maybe it will drive rents down and encourage other landlords to update their properties.

The problem rests in the fact that the Planning Commission and the City Council should never have changed the zoning of the district in question to R2A, thus giving a developer the opportunity to use the land as Trinitas has done. The language in the code for that zone is vague enough that the judge threw out any argument of its interpretation as the Planning Commission had argued. No one on the Planning Commission wanted to see this project go forward; but voting against at this point would not have stopped it. It would only have given us a worse development than what we will get with the stipulations we approved when we approved the project on a narrow but positive vote. I did not come to my decision easily, nor did others on the Planning Commission who voted for it--or against it.

Bob Benson,

Member of the Oxford Planning Commission

Part of the issue is the sheer number of new students accepting their admission offers for Miami University.

On-campus, they need to build a new 300-room dorm just to keep up with demand. At the moment, many "on-campus" students are living about a mile away from campus in an apartment community similar to the one that will be built.

Additionally, the value proposition for those units way out there is bad. Virtually all students like to walk to class and walk uptown to the restaurants and bars. They like to live by their friends. The current complex out there is the cheapest campus living option, but also decidedly the lest desirable. These won't be any more highly looked upon.

Kinda surprised they are doing this, actually...

Article from Miami's student newspaper about the Amtrak station coming to Oxford:

Thank you KJP for AAO's part in this!

Amtrak station to come to Oxford

By Leah Shaw, For The Miami Student

It’s 3 in the morning and Oxford residents are awoken by the horn of the Amtrak train making its way through town. Soon enough, students will be able to hop on board this train.

Within the next few years, Oxford plans to have its own Amtrak station for students and residents to take from Oxford to Chicago and beyond. The city of Oxford received approval last week from Amtrak to submit the proposal to build a stop here.

In November 2014, Oxford city officials met about creating an Amtrak in Oxford for students to use when traveling to other cities.

In December 2014, The Miami Student reported that Southwest Regional Director of All Aboard Ohio, an organization that promotes rail travel, had a two-part effort — getting an Oxford stop on the existing Cardinal line that goes through Oxford, and then having Amtrak expand its existing Hoosier State line to include Oxford and other Southwestern Ohio stops that would provide more service here with better times.

More: http://miamistudent.net/?p=17012994