Guest KJP

Restarting Passenger Rail In Ohio's 3C Corridor

• Like 2

"Your community is your commodity, my commodity & everyone's commodity." -- borrowing on silly slogans in Cleveland's Ohio City

It's weird how that ignores existing rail lines...period.

• Like 3

"Your community is your commodity, my commodity & everyone's commodity." -- borrowing on silly slogans in Cleveland's Ohio City

To be fair, reading this dude's responses to folks, it doesn't sound like he expected it to blow up as much as it did. I think it was just a fun idea that ballooned in the twitterverse (but take note, Ohio Legislators, people want rail). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KJP said:

It's weird how that ignores existing rail lines...period.

Indeed.  Cincinnati to Columbus via Mason, Lebanon, and Wilmington?  The way to do that would be to use the former B&O Midland via Loveland, Blanchester (no need to stop there 😉), and then Wilmington to Washington Court House, etc.  There has never been any direct connection between Lebanon and Wilmington, which would require bridging the Little Miami River Gorge near the I-71 Jeremiah Morrow Bridge.   The abandoned Pennsylvania Railroad Zanesville Branch did run between *South* Lebanon and Wilmington, crossing Todd Fork and other tributaries some 18 times.  http://www.jjakucyk.com/transit/map/index.html  Best stick to the more established usable routes. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jjakucyk said:

Indeed.  Cincinnati to Columbus via Mason, Lebanon, and Wilmington?  The way to do that would be to use the former B&O Midland via Loveland, Blanchester (no need to stop there 😉), and then Wilmington to Washington Court House, etc.  There has never been any direct connection between Lebanon and Wilmington, which would require bridging the Little Miami River Gorge near the I-71 Jeremiah Morrow Bridge.   The abandoned Pennsylvania Railroad Zanesville Branch did run between *South* Lebanon and Wilmington, crossing Todd Fork and other tributaries some 18 times.  http://www.jjakucyk.com/transit/map/index.html  Best stick to the more established usable routes. 

Great map, thanks for sharing.

This could go in multiple rail threads, but I'll post it here since the map/news was originally posted here....

Passenger rail system in Ohio? One ‘data nerd’ has an idea on how to make it possible.

https://ohiocapitaljournal.com/2019/12/05/passenger-rail-system-in-ohio-one-data-nerd-has-an-idea-on-how-to-make-it-possible/

• Like 2

Did you know #Ohio *almost* had fast-#rail line between #Cleveland, #Columbus, #Dayton & #Cincinnati? We're talking with Josh Lapp of @TransitColumbus about the 79 mph "#3C Corridor" @Amtrak line we'd be upgrading to 110 mph now, but it never came to be.

• Thanks 1