MayDay

Cleveland: Detroit-Shoreway / Gordon Square Arts District: Development and News

That's in Cudell, not Detroit-Shoreway.

• Like 1

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

But not in the same thread.... 🙂

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

I know what I posted was from Cudell Improvement Inc., but I put it in this thread as it discussed the Lake Avenue redesign which stretches from Detroit to Clifton. This bridge was mentioned previously in this thread and is within the plans for this stretch of the Lake Ave redesign within the Detroit Shoreway CDO presentation.

image.thumb.png.5ff81e94ba3e02b2c62fec72d00381a6.pngspacer.png

http://content.mindmixer.com/Live/Projects/cleveland/files/228425/2019-05-29 Lake Ave Public Mtg 2_FINAL-sm.pdf?636947533608830000

The former Statistic Planning Area (SPA) boundaries placed this section of Lake at the NS bridge in Edgewater, not Cudell. 

image.thumb.png.de3625cad81df666f327636f1addc5aa.png

This was however changed around 2012 (along with other various  neighborhood/SPA boundaries) as the new SPA borders place this triangle of land (Census tract 101101 bounded by Lake, Detroit, NS Tracks and W 85th) in Cudell. Edgewater and Cudell are however jointly overseen by the Cudell Improvement Inc., with its eastern border being W 85th. So yes, this short section of Lake Ave isn't in Detroit Shoreway according to the official borders. It is rather ~400 feet away. It also wasn't officially Cudell until revisions to the SPA borders.

So even though its technically in Cudell, its seemed more fitting here as it relates to a project which is almost entirely in Detroit Shoreway and is again presented by the DS CDO. 

spa_4.JPG

Edited by NorthShore647

Regardless of borders,

I have a friend who was mugged on this stretch of Lake by the bridge while walking with his dad one day, requiring stitches after getting hit in the back of the head with a pistol. This was 5 or so years ago, but he still doesn’t like to walk down this stretch of Lake because of it. An improved streetscape, bridge underpass and lighting will hopefully improve both perceived/actual crime in the immediate area. If anything it'll be safer for pedestrians/cyclists which is always a win. 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2019 at 9:34 PM, Cleburger said:

Though it is the same CDC now...

They're still separately governed - two independent boards, legal structures, finances, etc. They share staff through a paid agreement (Cudell Improvement essentially leases staff people from DSCDO) but it isn't necessarily an indefinite agreement. The first term is only three years, at which point they could consider further steps or fully separate again.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, marty15 said:

The rusty box house recently sold for $450k

FE5EC4E4-D3F2-48DE-8A64-0B6E81980A6E.jpeg

At first glance this thing looks like a modern miniature Duck Island townhome...I don't even know what to think about it. Does it merely give the impression of being a rusty old piece of metal or is it actually an old piece of junk?

"We each pay a fabulous price
  for our visions of paradise."
     - ????, ???????

10 minutes ago, Boxtruffles said:

At first glance this thing looks like a modern miniature Duck Island townhome...I don't even know what to think about it. Does it merely give the impression of being a rusty old piece of metal or is it actually an old piece of junk?

It’s a new build. Interior pics are 👌🏻 

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1362-W-58th-St-Cleveland-OH-44102/33328041_zpid/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, marty15 said:

The rusty box house recently sold for $450k

Pretty good price for a new-ish house in a good location like that.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, gg707 said:

Pretty good price for a new-ish house in a good location like that.

It's somewhat isolated in that the adjacent homes are dated. I toured it with a buddy of mine - the place was incredible. 

He ended up buying just down the block FWIW

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YABO713 said:

It's somewhat isolated in that the adjacent homes are dated. I toured it with a buddy of mine - the place was incredible. 

He ended up buying just down the block FWIW

That's great for him -- location is close to a lot of fun stuff around Gordon Square.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, w28th said:

That Knez thing is Thin-brick, don't let them fool you.

That’s what association fees are for 😉. All 5 units sold. 

• Like 2

On 10/2/2019 at 3:24 PM, marty15 said:

This Knez building turned out great. 47th & Lorain, behind Forest City Shuffleboard.

AA375BED-A943-42C1-97DF-3550CB3222D8.jpeg

A87EAC85-6C75-47C2-BF05-0F5297686EB7.jpeg

This is really great that this area of Lorain Avenue is again starting to turn back into a really nice neighborhood again!

Back in the 1960-70's growing up on the west side, the only highlights of this area I remember was Steve’s Hot Dogs  near about West 50 & Lorain Avenue (burn down 10 years ago),  a model car slot entertainment center near there, St. Ignatius High School, and later the Wendy's Restaurant...

Edited by Larry1962

First two and last two posts of a Twitter string which ends with a link to how people can provide public input to this zoning/redevelopment process....

And

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, KJP said:

First two and last two posts of a Twitter string which ends with a link to how people can provide public input to this zoning/redevelopment process....

And

311C3066-BAE7-4344-BACF-3C5584483803.jpeg

910707E8-0F95-41DE-B923-1921856D288F.jpeg

8DE27E48-0CFD-4C2E-B1ED-1D8A56E9C40C.jpeg

• Like 6

There was mention that the development up and down West 78th, by the 78th Street Studios, mentioned by @KJP in a Seeds and Sprouts edition is actively being explored as well as the Knez proposed development at the foot of 81st Street is still alive. 

Also heard mention of the strip of townhomes behind Neal Terrace and surrounding land being targeted by a certain developer. The Walz library project I was told would be vertical, units on top of the library, as opposed to building towards Lake. Not sure how tall 40-80 units could get. The hospital building next door I believe is 7 floors. I don’t have any more to offer than that.

Edited by marty15
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I stopped by the Open House for this effort and I thought it was pretty promising.  I'd recommend any UO readers attend the final presentation / Open House on Friday.  

Among the ideas that seemed to have consensus:

- Maximize density surrounding the Lake / Detroit intersection, while also improving pedestrian crossings there

- Improve connectivity within the neighborhoods via cut-through streets or paths... currently difficult to access Lake Park from nearby streets for example, and limited access from north side of Lake (around 78th St Studios) to Battery Park / Edgewater Hill. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ML11 said:

I stopped by the Open House for this effort and I thought it was pretty promising.  I'd recommend any UO readers attend the final presentation / Open House on Friday.  

Among the ideas that seemed to have consensus:

- Maximize density surrounding the Lake / Detroit intersection, while also improving pedestrian crossings there

- Improve connectivity within the neighborhoods via cut-through streets or paths... currently difficult to access Lake Park from nearby streets for example, and limited access from north side of Lake (around 78th St Studios) to Battery Park / Edgewater Hill. 

When/where is the open house?

49 minutes ago, Cavalier Attitude said:

When/where is the open house?

Was:

https://thelandcode.com/2019/10/22/detroit-shoreway-cudell-charrette/

But there's another event tomorrow (Friday) evening at 6 p.m. 8301 Detroit Ave. to show what was completed this week and to get some feedback on it. I'd love to go but can't.

• Like 1

So I spoke with the Land Code people again today. Really a great group btw. They said while the traffic circle idea most likely isnt possible, what it’s done has caused a major, serious conversion amongst the city about reworking the Lake/Detroit intersection and making it a focal point of the neighborhood. So that was really something to feel good about. 

Now here’s what I’m excited about. Mainly based on The Land Code’s receptiveness to this idea. This is my Lake/Detroit option #2.  It involves turning Lake Ave south, just east of the existing 5 story warehouse building and emptying Lake into Detroit at a 90 degree angle. Leaving a large, connected triangle shaped public space to be utilized and built around. While also shifting activity further west towards the hospital and future new library/apartment project. 

Edited by marty15
  • Like 4

Any discussion about redeveloping the industrial srea north of Lake Road toward the railroad tracks, possibly with some higher density/high-rise development?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KJP said:

Any discussion about redeveloping the industrial srea north of Lake Road toward the railroad tracks, possibly with some higher density/high-rise development?

That was actually a big topic of conversation. Let the companies remain, that supply manufacturing jobs to neighborhood residents, or look to push it out of the way for residential/office. The vibe seemed to be to try to keep them there, but assimilate/build the neighborhood around em in a way that can mesh. There’s a lot of wasted acreage back there.

There was a cool idea to install a multipurpose bike path along the northern edge/tracks from the Battery Park area over to the Lake/Clifton area. 

Edited by marty15
  • Thanks 1

Too bad. Industry doesn't belong on the lakefront. 

• Like 4

Another point of focus has been development and creation of a commercial district around Lake Park on 85th. As well as complete redevelopment of the park and trying to connect it through to 83rd better. The idea is to create first floor retail in 2-4 floor structures flanking the park on 3 sides. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, marty15 said:

That was actually a big topic of conversation. Let the companies remain, that supply manufacturing jobs to neighborhood residents, or look to push it out of the way for residential/office. The vibe seemed to be to try to keep them there, but assimilate/build the neighborhood around em in a way that can mesh. There’s a lot of wasted acreage back there.

There was a cool idea to install a multipurpose bike path along the northern edge/tracks from the Battery Park area over to the Lake/Clifton area. 

I didn't get the sense that the sponsors necessarily agreed with suggestions that the industry should stick... it's possible they were being polite publicly to avoid derailing the original workshop into an industry vs. luxury housing debate.  One mentioned that a developer (with existing ties to neighborhood) has already assembled land down West 78th street that could be a first phase of new residential. 

The northern-most part of the site - where there is existing industry - would be zoned to allow for taller buildings going up to the railroad tracks.  I don't think we're talking Gold Coast height necessarily,  but the folks I talked to realized that more residents were needed in the vicinity to help make retail feasible and transform the Lake/Detroit intersection.  It would likely be years away, but it seemed like things have started to move. 

• Like 6

On 10/22/2019 at 8:14 PM, marty15 said:

Also heard mention of the strip of townhomes behind Neal Terrace and surrounding land being targeted by a certain developer.

That building is called Dindia Terrace. The majority of the units have been acquired by a single entity and they are moving toward securing full site control. The plan is a complete restoration of the property.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, jws said:

That building is called Dindia Terrace. The majority of the units have been acquired by a single entity and they are moving toward securing full site control. The plan is a complete restoration of the property.

Thanks! Would love to see that developed towards Detroit on those empty parking lots.

12 minutes ago, marty15 said:

Thanks! Would love to see that developed towards Detroit on those empty parking lots.

Absolutely! The owners of the former Ferris Steakhouse still own that lot on Detroit, so getting them to sell is the main barrier. The large lot next door is technically an orchard and is owned by Cudell Improvement, so there is a lot of potential there as well.

The Dindia units are actually quite large and lovely inside (though some have seen significant arson). I really hope to see them occupied again.

• Like 2