MayDay

Cleveland: Detroit-Shoreway / Gordon Square Arts District: Development and News

^Am I not getting something?  I just see a map of North America, but I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to see a part of Cleveland before and after.  Am I just tech illiterate? lol

They look identical to me

• Like 2

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Oh this one sounds good...

a certificate of disclosure has had been filed with the city between paramount-breakwater properties (seller) and sustainable community associates (buyer) for the purchase of a property at 1200 west 58th street...the abandoned Westinghouse tower

• Like 3

This rehab project (presumably!) couldn't be in better hands. Josh is also @jrosen a poster here at UO.

• Like 2

On 1/26/2019 at 11:13 AM, KJP said:

This is one of my favorite projects in Cleveland and we need to replicate it in OhC, UC/Little Italy, Kamm’s, etc. Its truly phenomenal. Not only are they providing great ToD, but also well designed affordable housing that the residents deserve. 

Edited by imjustinjk

To me, the cool part is when you're riding the Red Line past Aspen Place, it seems taller than it really is because the tracks are down in the trench. So Aspen Place appears to tower over the passing trains.

• Like 2

Just now, YABO713 said:

FWIW, make sure you swing by the Big Egg whenever you have the chance. Last 3x I've been in there I was one of five or fewer people. 

The Big Egg was the place for late night eats back in the day. You could eat your meal among Cleveland's finest citizens including cops, prostitutes, and those under the influence of various substances. 

5 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

FWIW, make sure you swing by the Big Egg whenever you have the chance. Last 3x I've been in there I was one of five or fewer people. 

Too bad the owner of the Bid Egg is holding up a MAJOR new potential office development.

2 minutes ago, freefourur said:

The Big Egg was the place for late night eats back in the day. You could eat your meal among Cleveland's finest citizens including cops, prostitutes, and those under the influence of various substances. 

And you can still find 2 pancakes, 2 eggs, 2 bacon, 2 sausage for $6, so get your a** there 🙂 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Clefan98 said:

Too bad the owner of the Bid Egg is holding up a MAJOR new potential office development.

Guy always seems a bit nutty to me, he goes on rants all the time when I'm in there.

This is also discouraging to hear, as my house is about 1/4 mile from the Big Egg

2 minutes ago, Clefan98 said:

Can you elaborate??

2 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

And you can still find 2 pancakes, 2 eggs, 2 bacon, 2 sausage for $6, so get your a** there 🙂 

I was by there in the evening last week and it was dark inside.

Just now, Cavalier Attitude said:

No offense meant but I wouldn't mind seeing the Big Egg die, assuming something good would replace it. Between the owner being a jerk, food being meh, and the health code violations...

Don't hate on health code violations!!!!

My favorite Chinese Restaurant is probably less safe to eat at than Chernobyl but my god do they make an unreal garlic chicken. 

And I agree with you, as I also patronize Nick's, which is a better all around product. But I've gotten to know the staff, and they're all really good people. 

• Like 2

The Big Egg had serious health violations back in the day.  They had even been shut down by the city a few different times. It was still the place to go after a late night out.

1 hour ago, KJP said:

Can you elaborate??

I was by there in the evening last week and it was dark inside.

Sure can. Sam had an offer for his property, which includes more than just the Big Egg footprint. It was from a large medical company (outside of the region) wanting to build new office space on his parcels. He basically said "no, I want double that" on what was a very generous (over 7 figure) offer. The guy is NUTS. 

Hopefully something can get down with him and his cousin who owns the car dealership on the north side of Detroit next to the new school. There's interest.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Clefan98 said:

Sure can. Sam had an offer for his property, which includes more than just the Big Egg footprint. It was from a large medical company (outside of the region) wanting to build new office space on his parcels. He basically said "no, I want double that" on what was a very generous (over 7 figure) offer. The guy is NUTS. 

Hopefully something can get down with him and his cousin who owns the car dealership on the north side of Detroit next to the new school. There's interest.

I thought that both dealership lots were bought out by a developer (blanking on their name). 

2 hours ago, imjustinjk said:

I thought that both dealership lots were bought out by a developer (blanking on their name). 

Kertesz family

• Like 1

2 hours ago, freefourur said:

The Big Egg had serious health violations back in the day.  They had even been shut down by the city a few different times. It was still the place to go after a late night out.

My favorite memories of the Big Egg of the 1990's were the over-flowing ashtrays and the couple of large waitresses who would have to squeeze between the tables to serve everyone. 

• Like 1

I wonder if impending development plans have any bearing on that strange bar that's sometimes open. Is it the Lakefront? The place is like a time capsule inside because it was closed up for 20 years. Has anyone been there or have any insights on the future of the site? 

18 hours ago, Clefan98 said:

Thanks @Clefan98  Of all the gin joints along Detroit Avenue, why was this large medical company interested in the Orient's Glory LLC/Hamadeh site? Are they wedded to it?

Edited by KJP

^ No idea why they were interested in it other than it's available for sale and development, and there's not too many sites out there like it. My understanding is they've moved on and are searching elsewhere. 

There's a brochure you can download to see the parcels for sale. Other nearby owners are pretty much being held hostage until Sam makes his move.

https://www.crescorealestate.com/search/home/property?id=41142

• Sad 2

https://images4.loopnet.com/d2/Iog6YheBZrUxX_NgC7PbT89oSpAbg8srWbmDWO7oc5M/document.pdf

So Orient's Glory LLC/Hamadeh's property is 1.67 acres. The other four parcels intermixed are 0.411 acres, for a total development site of about 2.081 acres.

Given the repeated health code violations here and, the longer this site sits unimproved the more building code violations it will likely incur, this might be a site worth condemning someday and taking by eminent domain as a neighborhood nuisance.

18 hours ago, Cavalier Attitude said:

Anyone eaten at Good Company yet? I really liked their burgers, and they have Jackie O's on tap. Popular place though. I went last Friday and there was a 45 min wait.

Went last night with a reservation and was seated immediately. It was jam packed so the wait for food took a bit but that was expected. The Veg Boi burger with fries was amazing. They also have High Life on tap and you can get it in a pitcher! 👐

This thread is the place to discuss your opinions or give reviews on restaurants.  The development threads are for development news and discussion.

Thank you.

I couldn't attend this, but I assume it's in regards to the portion of Lake Avenue between Detroit Avenue and Clifton Blvd or perhaps all the way to West Blvd?