Map Boy

Painesville / Lake County: Development and News

Redevelopment of Victoria Place (aka that failed attempt at urban renewal from forty years ago known as the New Market Mall) is planned. I would be happy for just a change in the dated facade. Expansive windows on the corner facing the park would look nice🙂

49074018141_5985cbc376_b.jpg

Edited by eastvillagedon
  • Like 1

planning, planning and more planning...occasionally they actually get something done😵 I love the only comment so far (by an old classmate of mine) which suggests turning the old hospital site into a "community garden." How 'bout a giant skating rink for winter?⛸️  Allegedly there have been a couple of proposals over the last few years by developers (who seem to have bailed) promising big plans. Why can't they see the potential?😬

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Hopefully just temporary. Lure Bistro in DTW just closed last week.

Edited by marty15

17 minutes ago, eastvillagedon said:

everyone can rest easy🙄

it's good to see that they re-opened but it's never a good sign when businesses can't make their obligations. It makes me wonder if they are stretching out payments to vendors too.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, freefourur said:

it's good to see that they re-opened but it's never a good sign when businesses can't make their obligations. It makes me wonder if they are stretching out payments to vendors too.

it's worse. the owner of this place sounds really sleazy

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/local/lake-county/willoughby-brewing-owner-accused-fraud-lawsuit/95-f9e3a9a8-d3e9-41a2-a6d1-034be5c5ccaf

On 3/3/2018 at 1:37 PM, eastvillagedon said:

February 10, 2018 4:00 am     

Lakeland's new building is abuzz with anticipation (with photo gallery)

Lakeland Community College's $45 million expansion features a Hive that isn't your typical learning space

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20180210/news/151491/lakelands-new-building-abuzz-anticipation-photo-gallery

40552893162_46e635f9fe_c.jpg

this must mean that Lakeland is the "Harvard" (or "Yale") of Community Colleges🎓

Great Lakes Mall to feature indoor farmers market starting Jan. 17. Mall spokesperson claims this is a first. Don't know if that means for Cleveland area, Ohio, or what, since an article in the NY Times yesterday on thriving malls states that this is already being done at the enormous Aventura Mall in Miami. Whatever, it's a good idea🙂

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/14/business/aventura-shopping-mall-entertainment.html

On 9/6/2017 at 7:58 PM, eastvillagedon said:

La Mexicana is good and you also might want to try La Casita, which gets rave reviews. It's outdoors and I think just through the warm weather though. Don't know if your friends are familiar with it -- https://www.facebook.com/pages/La-Casita/136480659819100?nr

what started out as a small Mexican butcher, grocer and seasonal outdoor taqueria (one of Painesville's best🌮), La Casita is soon set to open a full restaurant, not far from its original location, still literally on the "wrong" side of the tracks--I should know, this is my old hood--lol. Just steps from the Painesville Railroad Museum--tacos and trains🚆

It seems the old Lyric Theater in Fairport Harbor is being transformed into what appears to be an event space for the arts. It's been decades since it was a cinema, and was a venue for live music sporadically throughout the years. I recall once in high school going there to hear a country music show that featured a band doing a rousing version of "Rocky Top." It appears that the original auditorium might be gone (with seating for about 500 or so). I figured it was only a matter of time before FH became the next destination for bored hipsters🥴

https://www.facebook.com/LyricByTheLake/

49580695996_b81434e422_z.jpg

• Like 1

more news on the Fairport front: opening soon--La Abejita Michoacana Paleteria & Neveria. Okay, when I tried the Spanish to English translation in Google it gave me the same thing, so I don't know what it means either, outside of the obvious from the pictures that it specializes in ice cream, and after some research appears to be based in Massillon (which struck me as a little odd, since it doesn't have much of a Latino population), whose facebook page also has clips of people dancing! What better way to work off those calories?

(note: after a little more research, this place appears to be part of a massive franchise company based in Mexico with thousands of locations, which makes more sense. Well, maybe. I'll have to dig deeper)

Edited by eastvillagedon
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, eastvillagedon said:

more news on the Fairport front: opening soon--La Abejita Michoacana Paleteria & Neveria. Okay, when I tried the Spanish to English translation in Google it gave me the same thing, so I don't know what it means either, outside of the obvious from the pictures that it specializes in ice cream, and after some research appears to be based in Massillon (which struck me as a little odd, since it doesn't have much of a Latino population), whose facebook page also has clips of people dancing! What better way to work off those calories?

(note: after a little more research, this place appears to be part of a massive franchise company based in Mexico with thousands of locations, which makes more sense. Well, maybe. I'll have to dig deeper

They sell naturally flavored fruity popsicles and ice cream. Michoacán is one of the 32 states of Mexico. Michoacana is the demonym for people/things originating from that place. There's an interesting story behind how the ice cream grew to so many different operators. It seems that it was very loosely branded and actually does not have a unified master franchisor. Countless businesses have used the name, with seemingly two major distinct businesses that many have ties to, while yet others are completely unrelated.

https://www.eater.com/2019/10/22/20908347/la-michoacana-paleta-legal-battle

From what I understand, one entity franchises ice cream shops (US, Mexico, Panama), while another distributes (US, Canada) ice cream and popsicle products to restaurants, convenience and grocery stores, etc.

Franchise model: https://lamichoacanaweb.com/

Distributor model: https://michoacana.com/

Distributor model: https://lamichoacanapremium.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/15/2020 at 11:31 AM, eastvillagedon said:

what started out as a small Mexican butcher, grocer and seasonal outdoor taqueria (one of Painesville's best🌮), La Casita is soon set to open a full restaurant, not far from its original location, still literally on the "wrong" side of the tracks--I should know, this is my old hood--lol. Just steps from the Painesville Railroad Museum--tacos and trains🚆

Do we have an open date?

52 minutes ago, mt22 said:

Do we have an open date?

it looks like next week, date not certain (for me at least). But the grocery store/butcher portion is open and you can get tacos to go right now, from what I've read😛

https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2020/02/19/la-casitas-new-year-round-taqueria-nears-opening-in-new-spot-in-painesville

• Like 1

Mentor has been adding new street lights along its main Mentor Avenue corridor. While they are beautiful, I noticed one immediate design flaw (or should I say design ignorance??)

These new street lights are positioned directly in the middle of the sidewalk, blocking the public right of way. How could anyone, let alone someone in a wheelchair, with a stroller or with a walker be able to move through here?

I don’t get how this was thought of nor how it passed planning commission.

Absolutely unacceptable.

B21AF0A8-9C5E-4825-859E-A1E2E0814AD4.jpeg

46C4B965-BCC2-490B-9A49-E86D527B3C38.jpeg

Definitely an ADA lawsuit in the making. Nice lamps though, and a shame they are still completely overshadowed by the tangled mess of Little Italy branded power lines.

• Haha 2

They did reply that sidewalk extensions are going to be made.

Still...that will be an inconvenience to continuously weave around the poles. And they should have added the extensions FIRST to allow full ADA compliance and access in the meantime.

unsurprisingly, Painesville Party in the Park has been cancelled. Maybe it's for the best. It's been getting a little stale for the past couple of years (last year's event, which coincided with the exact days of July's brutal heat wave, didn't help any either). But as for social distancing, so few people show up for the hapless acts scheduled early in the day that keeping people far apart would have been no problem. lol.

News Herald article about construction in Willoughby from May 16. 

New Marc's going into the former Fitworks location with a spiffy rendering below.

marcs.thumb.jpg.1a88f4f549128b618ecdfd8752ee2123.jpg

I know sprawl is a swear word on this site 😛 but it's still nice to see development in established suburbs... and not to start a war, but I don't consider sprawl as negative as long as it follows the lake shore.  

Also, if the new housing mentioned is completed, it is really just adding density to areas that already contain the supporting infrastructure to support the added sq. ft. But I am excited for my new Sheetz!😁

• Love 1

On 11/13/2019 at 2:55 PM, WhatUp said:

001.jpg

002.jpg

In case anyone was following this area of Mentor:

The Cleveland Clinic Mentor Hospital was postponed with a groundbreaking next year at the earliest.

Also, the above pictured development rezoning was voted down (barely) in March by Mentor residents, so back to the drawing board i guess? 

Issue1 Mentor City Zoning Amendment

NO, 4,816 votes 50.50% Winner

YES, 4,721 votes 49.50%

Here is the project PDF

Also in Mentor, on the big grassy field to the South-ish of Great Lakes Mall: Brookview Reserve Village Green (News Herald 3/17) which makes me cringe saying it out loud, or am I the only one who hates that name?

73 acres, 174 homes built in 4 stages

"Eight house styles are proposed, with the average price in the $330,000 range and sizes from 1,800 to 2,600 square feet."

pasture.png.cd0764bf909daad75ce43a53af9e20ec.png

• Dislike 1

Now for some cohesive planning (if the stars align):

This Cleveland.com article mentions that the $250,000 NOACA grant for a lakefront trail study has to also include Lake and Lorain counties.

This News Herald article from May 13 mentions that Willowick received a $79,000 Transportation for Livable Communities Initiative (TLCI) grant, which they used to hire Environmental Design Group of Akron to redesign their Lakefront Park.

This News Herald article from March breaks down the NOACA $100,000 planning grant to study updates to Vine Street from the lakefront in Willowick to Downtown Willoughby. The plan is to update crosswalks, synchronize traffic signals, and replace streetlights to tie the 3 cities along the rout together. Laketran was also included, and hopes to maybe implement a Downtown Willoughby to lakefront bus loop.

Since Willowick's Lakefront Park study hopes to form a "stakeholder committee" that includes RTA and Laketran, and the Vine Street study already includes Laketran, sometime in the (hopefully near) future, Downtown Willoughby, Lake Erie, Cleveland, and everything in between, may be woven together with parks trails and public transit! Euclid has proven this can be done with their 3/4 mile lakefront trail and new pier, so lets hope these grants and studies set the dominoes in motion to start connecting Northeast Ohio.

plan.thumb.jpg.73b6375163dee647042e0efb79de0d5f.jpg

Edited by WhatUp
  • Like 4