Sign in to follow this  
Guest rider

NYC: Bank of America Tower

Green Skyscraper by Cook + Fox

by Kiel Moe, ArchitectureWeek

Expected be the first LEED Platinum skyscraper, the 945-foot- (288-meter-) tall Bank of America Tower is located at 42nd Street and 6th Avenue in Manhattan, opposite Bryant Park.  The 2.2 million-square-foot (204,000-square-meter) high-rise tower was developed as a joint venture between the Durst Organization and the Bank of America, and was designed by Cook + Fox Architects, with executive architect Adamson Associates Architects.  Bank of America will occupy three-quarters of the building as its New York headquarters.

The base of the tower creates a variety of important public spaces, including the restored Henry Miller Theater on 43rd Street.  It also provides three times the public circulation space of a typical as-of-right office building, including an urban garden room and a new entrance to the Times Square subway station.  The integrated strategies for this high-rise building focus on daylighting and indoor air quality, which foster human comfort and employee productivity.  The double-glazed envelope consists of floor-to-ceiling low-iron, low-E glazing for maximum transparency and thermal performance.

Read more at http://www.architectureweek.com/2008/1119/building_1-1.html

bankofamerica.jpg

Bank of America Tower at One Bryant Park

this building is a mess.  windows have fallen out.  they've evacuated our employees in nearby buildings for fear the building would collapse.  there have been several casualties.  People currently occupy offices in the building and there is plywood in places where windows should be.

I don't think we have a John Hancock (Boston) again. 

What we see here is poor craftsmanship.  The incidents that have happened at BoA Tower aren't design problems. 

If you have any sources claiming fear of collapse, I'd be interested.  As far as I know, the only problems have been with construction crews failing to properly secure materials, that have ultimately fallen off the building. 

Sweetie our buildings in the area have been evacuated.  SEVERAL times.  I've had to go to meetings with the city to  find out what the hell is going on.

When the crane collapsed on the UES, the folks stopped work on the BoA building because of fears.  People were protesting.  Its been a nightmare for the area.

the boa building -- from last weekend -- might as well put'em up here:

east facing 42nd street view + northwest facing bryant park/6th avenue view

P1150212.jpg  P1150213.jpg

this neighboring building was recently re-skinned

P1150219.jpg

Maybe they tried to use some kind of glue or epoxy that is "environmentally friendly" but is as yet untested.  I think that's part of what caused the roof tile problem in the big dig tunnel.  I'm too lazy to look it up right now. 

I would venture a guess that the problem is associated with a "sustainable" feature of some sort.  The John Hancock in Boston had a problem with the pressurization of the double-paned system.  I hope no one repeated that mistake.

To clear up any confusion in my previous post, I don't doubt the buildings have been evacuated around, I worked in NYC for 3 months over the summer and heard about it quite a bit.  I think the problem is with the falling glass panels, which probably weigh well over 500 pounds each, and maybe a crane/scaffolding collapsing, but not the entire building itself. 

Just to be clear, building collapses DO happen, especially when it involves a new design that may have been poorly designed/built/tested. No reason to think that this building is perfectly safe, especially with all the problems that have been going on.

Be watching for major structural inspections happening soon.