Sign in to follow this  
Guest seicer

Cincinnati and Dayton: Highway news and developments

http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/noncms/transeng/harrison/

I personally agree with the sorely needed updates to Harrison Avenue. None are too far-reaching and none will require any substantial property purchases.

Web site up to hear road worries

Cincinnati Enquirer, November 12, 2008

After residents expressed concerns about possible renovations to Harrison Avenue, Cincinnati put together a new Web site that shows both no-build options and proposed changes.

Leave comments or attend a public hearing at 4-7 p.m. Monday at Westwood Town Hall, 3017 Harrison Ave.

Relief coming for Fairfield traffic

By Sue Kiesewetter, Cincinnati Enquirer, November 12, 2008

Road work could begin in 2011 on a $27 million project to clear up traffic jams that often occur near the Winton/South Gilmore Road exit off Interstate 275.

The interchange is a key highway access point for residents of Forest Park, Fairfield and for thousands of people driving to the nearby Bass Pro Shops, Meijer, and a Wal-Mart, plus two of Fairfield’s largest employers – Cincinnati Financial Corp. and Mercy Hospital Fairfield.

^So, what are you implying or suggesting by that comment?

Harrison Avenue is in terrible shape from pretty much the Western Hills Viaduct all the way through Westwood, Cheviot, Green Township and into Miamitown.  The road is in total disrepair and the patchwork of projects for new gaslines and water lines have only made the problem worse.

New I-75 ramp opening postponed

Dayton Daily News, November 18, 2008

DAYTON — The opening of a new ramp to southbound Interstate 75 that was scheduled to occur Tuesday morning, Nov. 18, has been postponed for a day, according to the Ohio Department of Transportation.

The new ramp leading from North Main Street to I-75 is now scheduled to open at 10 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 19. Simultaneously as the new ramp is being opened, a nearby old ramp from Grand Avenue to southbound I-75 will be permanently closed.

A news release from ODOT said the ramp change was postponed for a day because poor weather over the weekend slowed down preparatory work on the new ramp.

The ramp from North Main Street is alongside a newly constructed overpass where I-75 crosses Main Street in the area of Shaw Avenue. Signs will be in place to direct traffic from the area of the old ramp to the new one, according to the ODOT news release.

City may help fund Interstate 71 study

A $2.3 million study on how to improve access to Cincinnati neighborhoods along Interstate 71 - and possibly build a new exit at Martin Luther King Jr. Drive - could get money from the city.

City Manager Milton Dohoney suggests City Council approve an ordinance on Thursday's agenda that would put $500,000 from the Uptown Consortium, $625,000 from the Ohio-Kentucky-Indiana Regional Council of Governments and $679,149 from a federal earmark into an account for the study, being done by the Ohio Department of Transportation.

The city would transfer $401,091 into the account from other capital improvement accounts, and use almost $100,000 already in the account.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090121/NEWS01/901210401/1055/NEWS

Isn't there a bedbug epidemic to allocate these resources to?  Or better yet, why don't we redistribute this money to Cincinnati Public Schools, or hire 5-6 more officers?

I believe this is the next phase of the OKI Uptown study done a couple of years ago.  I think it would be wise to keep on top of this since it would affect future alignments and feasibility for the I-71 light rail as well and some interface with the planning for an Uptown Streetcar if they are looking at the streets in Uptown as well.  It was my understanding that this is a City study and not ODOT.

Yeah, I would say this study is a good thing for uptown.  It would increase the accessibility of uptown, as well as the Madison corridor.  Seemingly, easier accessibility at one end of the potential streetcar would increase its ridership.  The one exit from 71 in the area at Taft and McMillan is not the greatest, and an exit at MLK has been on the plate for years.  Hopefully the study incorporates light rail, a 71 corridor Uptown stop here, linked to a complete streetcar from uptown to Hyde Park via Madison would be a dream.

It's not unfinished; just very poorly designed.

Four decades later, city still hopes to finish I-75 interchange

By Jessica Wehrman, Dayton Daily News, May 11, 2009

The motto on West Carrollton’s city Web site reads: Welcome Home.

It could just as well read: You just try and leave.

For more than 40 years, an unfinished exit off of Interstate 75 has caused city officials countless headaches, not to mention economic development officials and anybody in a car trying to find a way to head south on I-75.

When the interstate was built in the early 1960s, transportation officials never bothered to finish the interchange at West Carrollton.

Leaders seek I-71 exit near UC

By Barry M. Horstman • bhorstman@enquirer.com • September 25, 2009

Seeking to improve access to the University of Cincinnati and the hospitals and businesses clustered in Uptown, officials are moving forward with plans to build a new Interstate 71 interchange near Martin Luther King Drive.

Advertisement

The hope, inside and outside City Hall, is that the new interchange not only will eliminate the long line of red brake lights on I-71 south that can be seen most mornings approaching the nearest exit at William Howard Taft Road, but also galvanize a handful of poorer, largely minority neighborhoods.

Link:  http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090925/NEWS01/909260341/Leaders+seek+I-71+exit+near+UC

I'm in support of this for the reasons outlined in the article, and because it adds an exit in lieu of the Victory Parkway interchange that was never completed.

This is one highway project I'm in favor of... I'll be even more in favor of it if I end up living in Northern Kentucky and going to grad school at UC, as it's a bit of a hassle to get to campus from I-471/I-71 as it is now. You pretty much have to get off at Reading Road and work your way through dense city streets for a while, or swing around to I-75 and get off at Hopple Street.

If we are adding highway exits, I'd rather add it closer to town than another one out at the sprawling edge.

I'd argue that the northern edge of Uptown is hardly the "sprawling edge", respectively.  I guess my personal opinion would pit the Sharonville/Evendale area as the "edge" to the north before you get into Exurbia.  I see infrastructure improvements (albeit highway) within denser, urban, well established neighborhoods as a good investment.  Obviously their are more efficient options out there that we discuss on other threads, but I share in Johio's thoughts.

Hopefully this will ultimately help the traffic clog on 71. 

I'm curious whether the MLK interchange would be a combined interchange with the Taft/McMillan ramps.  I remember seeing conceptual drawings a few years ago but I haven't been able to find them recently.

I'm curious whether the MLK interchange would be a combined interchange with the Taft/McMillan ramps. I remember seeing conceptual drawings a few years ago but I haven't been able to find them recently.

As of right now the plan calls for a combined interchange.  There would be a two lane collector on either side of 71 from just south of McMillan through MLK, with exits to McMillan, Taft, and MLK coming off of that.  I'll see if I can get the plan I saw and post it here.

This is needed badly, though.  Right now all of uptown is a mess at rush hour; there are 60,000 workers in uptown, and 15,000 commuting students, with most using the poorly designed interchanges at Hopple and Mcmillan/Taft.

Hopple is also getting a massive redesign along with the 75 redevelopments coming soon.

If we are adding highway exits, I'd rather add it closer to town than another one out at the sprawling edge.

I'd argue that the northern edge of Uptown is hardly the "sprawling edge", respectively.   I guess my personal opinion would pit the Sharonville/Evendale area as the "edge" to the north before you get into Exurbia. I see infrastructure improvements (albeit highway) within denser, urban, well established neighborhoods as a good investment. Obviously their are more efficient options out there that we discuss on other threads, but I share in Johio's thoughts.

Hopefully this will ultimately help the traffic clog on 71.  

I meant instead of the more interchanges in Butler Cty.

This is needed badly, though. Right now all of uptown is a mess at rush hour; there are 60,000 workers in uptown, and 15,000 commuting students, with most using the poorly designed interchanges at Hopple and Mcmillan/Taft.

Agreed.  Since MLK is the most auto-oriented east-west route in Uptown, it makes sense to incorporate an interchange at I-71.

I wish they would add a third through-lane on Interstate 71 at the Norwood Lateral, and add a fourth-lane for climbing the hill at Kenwood. That would do WONDERS.

I wish they would add a third through-lane on Interstate 71 at the Norwood Lateral, and add a fourth-lane for climbing the hill at Kenwood. That would do WONDERS.

I would love for the entire series of ramps in that area to be reconfigured.  Rather than adding the Kennedy Connector and expecting it to solve the problems around there, why not actually make one of the partial interchanges into a full interchange and eliminate the rest of the nonstandard ramps?

You know, the present situation I'm sure keeps traffic engineers up at night.  How on God's green earth do all those people manage to get to work without ramps right next to their parking spots? I live in the area and traffic is never "bad", unless you've never been to Boston or even Pittsburgh.  This all seems like an awful lot of commotion for something that will basically only convenience people for four hours a day and will provide little advantage the rest of the time.

If they do build this new interchange, they should close the Taft interchange entirely so that Taft and McMillan St. can each be returned to two-way traffic.  A streetcar route split between Taft and McMillan would do a lot more for the area than this new interchange. 

The one project that could improve the situation are underpasses for MLK at Clifton and Jefferson/Vine.  The Jefferson/Vine 5-way intersection has the slowest traffic lights in the area, and the situation wouldn't be what it is if some brilliant traffic engineers hadn't dreamt up the 1960's reconfiguration. 

I generally agree that switching the interchange to MLK would do wonders with underpasses at Clifton and Vine. I might even figure out a better way to take advantage of Reading in the process. That would still be a serious choke point if they moved the exit. The neighborhoods along Taft and McMillan could each transition back toward residential if they weren't nearly expressways - a streetcar would obviously cinch it.

McMillan, Taft: Two-way streets again?

By Jane Prendergast, Cincinnati Enquirer, April 13, 2010

For decades, Cincinnatians have driven only one way on McMillan Avenue and William Howard Taft Road, parallel streets that have become key routes to and from East Side neighborhoods.

And for just about as long, residents of Walnut Hills have wanted their neighborhood streets back.

McMillan, Taft: Two-way streets again?

By Jane Prendergast, Cincinnati Enquirer, April 13, 2010

For decades, Cincinnatians have driven only one way on McMillan Avenue and William Howard Taft Road, parallel streets that have become key routes to and from East Side neighborhoods.

And for just about as long, residents of Walnut Hills have wanted their neighborhood streets back.

From the comments section:

Replying to Move2Cincy:

Replying to Nineva:

Most of the people who've posted already, have given better reasons than I could, but my gut instinct when I saw the headline was: "politically easy but dumb and ineffective". That's my 2 cents and I'm sticking to it. Also, I'm starting to have paranoic feelings about how often they tear up the streets and make my (rather limited) driving an obstacle course. I know, I know, new gas and water lines this year, but still.....FIX THE PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION with your limited funds!. Sheesh....

Anything action that makes neighborhoods more walkable makes public transportation more useful and effective. This is a cost-effective way of doing that, as it requires neither a new/expanded service nor construction.

Didn't think of it that way. I've always been educable, but I never thought I'd learn something from an Enquirer blog post!

4/14/2010 8:21:42 AM

You don't see that too often.