Cincinnati: Pendleton: Development and News

Very excited for this, as Jake mentioned, will go a long way in that area. As Troeros says, hopefully it is very successful and can move forward on the other sites there and fill back in the street grid on Sycamore and also the side streets.

On 11/2/2019 at 2:22 PM, mcmicken said:

One of the joys of renderings is hiding easter eggs like this.  

I recently had to make a wall mural for a recent store and upon seeing the approval image the manager was appalled that i would include a (what i thought) treasured city mascot on her wall. I was told to remove him: which i did, but rumor is he is still there. Still there small and in the shadows peeking out of one of the windows of the county courthouse watching her. Watching her all the time. ?

• Like 1

I can't even visually picture how infill would look on that lot. I'm so used to that ugly parking crater being there, always creating this awkward gap between otr and Pendelton... It's going to be so strange seeing the fabric tied together between otr and Pendelton once again eliminating that awkward glaring gap.

On 11/16/2019 at 6:27 PM, troeros said:

Good amount of new pedestrian activity on that corner now.

I honestly haven't even been inside the place yet, but walked around that area a lot over the weekend. The amount of activity that it brought to the block was incredible. It made the street feel MUCH safer after dark. That stretch is usually devoid of people in the evenings/weekends and it can get creepy sometimes. 

32 minutes ago, Largue said:

I honestly haven't even been inside the place yet, but walked around that area a lot over the weekend. The amount of activity that it brought to the block was incredible. It made the street feel MUCH safer after dark. That stretch is usually devoid of people in the evenings/weekends and it can get creepy sometimes. 

Yes it's a nice little boost for that corner. BrewDog attracted a diverse crowd from what I saw from families, to yuppies, hipsters and old folks.

What I'm curious about is how late their kitchen stays open? The food was actually a surprising highlight and I wasn't actually expecting the dining experience to be that well done..so hopefully the kitchen operates late which would make it one of the few late night dining options in otr/CBD. 

1 hour ago, Largue said:

It was the opening weekend, so I wouldn't get too hyped about the long term change being that significant.

1 hour ago, troeros said:

The food was actually a surprising highlight

I had their food a couple times at different BD places in London (not really my choice; my friend I was visiting there was an "equity punk" and liked to visit them for discounted beverages and to fill in her "passport" thingy for which each location has a different stamp). They had solid burgers (vegetarian and not) and cauliflower buffalo wings. I was grading on a curve to some degree, since Europe doesn't generally do American food so well, but it was legit and didn't really need the curve.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Robuu said:

It was the opening weekend, so I wouldn't get too hyped about the long term change being that significant.

Yeah I'm afraid you're probably right. At the very least, employees will be hanging around pretty late. The transparent facade helps with the safety on Reading, and the employees smoking out back create a decent presence on Elliot Street out back (the kitchen even has windows right on the back alley). 

41 minutes ago, Robuu said:

It'll definitely be some help, but I'm not sure about a game-changer. Attracting more development on the block may be the best contribution to hope for. Who knows, though, maybe it will be massively popular.

The space reminded me of pins mechanical on Main Street minus the duckpin bowling. 

I think it might stay popular because it works pretty well as a "chill and hangout" bar for the Saturday night otr crowd because of the multiple levels and rooftop bar...but also works really well as a family friendly resturaunt/brewpub since the food is reasonably priced and the food is actually good.

1 hour ago, Robuu said:

It'll definitely be some help, but I'm not sure about a game-changer. Attracting more development on the block may be the best contribution to hope for. Who knows, though, maybe it will be massively popular.

After the sycamore apartment project gets its first tenants I think that little section will really take off.

There aren't any vacant buildings on that little stretch of Short Reading though.   Unless the Cincinnati Police Museum moves, or the Levin's sell (seems unlikely), then the only additional development opportunity would be to build out the other surface lots.  Those bring in so much money though.  I hope the owners of those lots would decide to sell some day, but it would take a lot of money to get them to sell those lots.

11 minutes ago, JoeHarmon said:

There aren't any vacant buildings on that little stretch of Short Reading though.   Unless the Cincinnati Police Museum moves, or the Levin's sell (seems unlikely), then the only additional development opportunity would be to build out the other surface lots.  Those bring in so much money though.  I hope the owners of those lots would decide to sell some day, but it would take a lot of money to get them to sell those lots.

I feel like we were having this exact conversation a few years ago and now look? One of the sycamore lots are being developed. 

I think whenever you you have an out of town developer it's a good sign that otr has become an area that is of interest not just locally but nation wide as well. 

I think if it's not this developer, then another developer will purchase those lots in the near future. Granted, alot of this is probably unwarranted until we see how this project does in terms of leasing. 

1 hour ago, troeros said:

I feel like we were having this exact conversation a few years ago and now look? One of the sycamore lots are being developed. 

I think whenever you you have an out of town developer it's a good sign that otr has become an area that is of interest not just locally but nation wide as well. 

I think if it's not this developer, then another developer will purchase those lots in the near future. Granted, alot of this is probably unwarranted until we see how this project does in terms of leasing. 

The Charles Street development is on the one lot not owned by the Levine family.

The Levine's are lawyers but the parking lot generates a nice base income for them. They would be unlikely to give it up unless parking somehow becomes less profitable.

One course of action I could see them taking is to sell development rights to build on the site and then collect rent on a land lease (this is how Columbia Plaza works with the Joseph Auto Group owning the land and leasing the building to a different owner).

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

The Levines also own the 1100 Sycamore building and some other occupied properties scattered around. I assume they have a similar setup to what @JYP described and are generating a good income as landlords. They probably won't miss their parking lot that much.

6 hours ago, JYP said:

The Charles Street development is on the one lot not owned by the Levine family.

The Levine's are lawyers but the parking lot generates a nice base income for them. They would be unlikely to give it up unless parking somehow becomes less profitable.

One course of action I could see them taking is to sell development rights to build on the site and then collect rent on a land lease (this is how Columbia Plaza works with the Joseph Auto Group owning the land and leasing the building to a different owner).

It appears that the 1118 Sycamore lot was owned by a guy who does not own any other large parking lots or downtown properties. He probably decided he was done with it and was ready to cash out and sell to the developer who approached him and wanted to build an apartment building there.

On the other hand, you have large property owners like the Levines, Josephs, and Wades, who have their own ideas for what they want to do with their properties. As much as we want them to fill in the missing teeth and build new buildings on these parking lots,  they are often willing to sit on them for literally decades until the "perfect" opportunity arises. The only way to get around this would be to put a massive property tax on surface parking lots, to the point where it no longer makes financial sense for the owners. IMO, all of that money should be directed to MSD to fix the problems with our sewer system, much of which is caused by runoff from these large surface lots.

Guest jmecklenborg
32 minutes ago, taestell said:

IMO, all of that money should be directed to MSD to fix the problems with our sewer system, much of which is caused by runoff from these large surface lots.

It's doubtful that they have to pay anything to MSD since they don't have water bills and MSD's bills are piggy-backed on Waterworks bills.  

They may end up finding out the hard way...

On 12/5/2007 at 11:26 PM, jmecklenborg said:

The never-finished Deer Creek Tunnel collapsed under the weight of heavy equipment today:

trackhoe_tunnelcolapse003.jpg

They're bringing in a crane Thursday morning to fish this out.  Nobody was hurt. 

• Like 1

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

4 hours ago, troeros said:

I know an old brewery used to be on that lot. Does anyone know if there are any tunnels underneath?

Short answer is probably.

I answered this question for the developer about a year ago. Based on available evidence and past practices, most cellars were not fully demolished and just filled in at the top levels. This site was home to the Gambrinus Stock Brewing Company through Prohibition, and for a very short period after Prohibition as the Vienna Brewing Company. potential-cellar-locations-1887.thumb.jpg.79825af6cd7c1882ee40fcbf3c29ea89.jpg1956.JPG.3dbc2c05fb45aa0254e2c993483cf094.JPG

potential-cellar-locations-current.jpg

Edited by mcmicken
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

BrewDog eyeing Pendleton for short-term rentals near new brewery

brewdogweb-8*750xx1440-810-0-75.jpg

The U.K.'s largest craft brewery, which just opened its second-largest U.S. taproom in Cincinnati, is eyeing the home neighborhood of its newest pub for an Airbnb-like experience.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/12/04/exclusive-brewdog-eyeing-pendleton-for-short-term.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

• 4 weeks later...

Several Pendleton buildings have received historic preservation funding from the state:

418 E. 12th Street (Cincinnati, Hamilton)
Total Project Cost: $2,107,267
Total Tax Credit: $210,000
Address: 418 E. 12th Street, Cincinnati, 45202
This building, in the Pendleton area of Over the Rhine, is part of the final phase of the larger Broadway Square project being completed by the Model Group. After rehabilitation the building will be reactivated with 11 residential units and a small commercial space on the first floor. The building has undergone several renovations over the years, but its remaining historic fabric will be retained and repaired including the stair, wainscot, and wood trim.

422 E. 12th Street (Cincinnati, Hamilton)
Total Project Cost: $1,679,252
Total Tax Credit: $167,000
Address: 422 E. 12th Street, Cincinnati, 45202
This building, along with its neighbor at 418 E. 12th, is also part of the final phase of the larger Broadway Square project being completed by the Model Group. After rehabilitation the building will be reactivated with 4 residential units and a commercial space on the first floor. The building has undergone a number of renovations over the years, but its remaining historic fabric will be retained and repaired.

555 E. 13th Street (Cincinnati, Hamilton)
Total Project Cost: $2,003,106
Total Tax Credit: $200,000
Address: 555 E. 13th Street, Cincinnati, 45202
Also a part of the larger Broadway Square project, this building will be rehabilitated to its original use with eight residential units. The four-story Italianate building retains its window hoodmolds and cornice on the exterior. Some of the historic entry doors remain and will be repaired as will the historic stairs, interior doors, flooring, and wood trim.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw on Carriage House Instagram story that they had recently purchased the blue painted 1208 Sycamore Street building and plan to bring a bar and a continuation of their airbnb business to that building with guest airbnb apartments above.

For those who aren't familiar with Carriage House, they own the small white brick building thats tucked away in an alley on sycamore. The company is expanding, and offer unique airbnb suites worldwide, and I guess this is part of there next phase with the pendelton neighborhood. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Showing stone basement and sub-basement walls along Sycamore. This intersection is interesting because it is a low point with no natural drainage.  I guess before the streets were built and before the Central Parkway/Ohio Erie Canal, that this was a valley that drained down the direction of Eggleston, through this site which is now being excavated.

Sycamore.JPG

Edited by Jimmy Skinner
  • Like 1

It's entirely possible this was a pond or swamp originally.  Old maps show a west fork of Deer Creek winding its way along Sycamore up to Liberty, connecting through the ridge that now exists at Reading, but that's a lot of earthworks for no particularly good reason.  I wouldn't be surprised if the old "bever" pond/creek was dug out to drain it very early on when farmers settled there.  

Mitchell 1755.jpg

cincinnati_1815.jpg

burr-ohio-1846-02.jpg

Miami-and-Erie-Canal-map.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, taestell said:

Hard to tell from that angle, but are they re-filling the pit with dirt? It is possible they needed to dig down to identify the tunnels/cellars/culverts that were under the site?

Most of these sites are just rubble filled as well from past demolitions. They probably wanted to have a clean and compacted fill as well as identifying any of the cellars/vaults.

Well the building is going to have a parking level below grade, so I believe they're just excavating the proper volume for that. It's possible that they were thrown off by the existing stone wall along Sycamore, and may have to do some tweaking to the foundation.