Sign in to follow this  
Guest montecarloss

The Obama Presidency

"Eat the Rich" is the title of a great O'Rourke book, FYI.

#####

Poll: Obama has Lost Almost Half of his US Jewish Support

by Gil Ronen

United States President Barack Obama has lost nearly half of his support among American Jews, a poll by the McLaughlin Group has shown.

The US Jews polled were asked whether they would: (a) vote to re-elect Obama, or (b) consider voting for someone else. 42% said they would vote for Obama and 46%, a plurality, preferred the second answer. 12% said they did not know or refused to answer. 

In the Presidential elections of 2008, 78% of Jewish voters, or close to 8 out of 10, chose Obama. The McLaughlin poll held nearly 18 months later, in April 2010, appears to show that support is down to around 4 out of 10. 

more: http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/137449

Faisal Shahzad Was Commenting On Terror Websites Since 2006 But Obama Administration Took Him Off Terror Watch List Anyway

by Jim Hoft

Earlier this week it was reported that the Obama White House removed  confessed terrorist Faisal Shahzad from the Department of Homeland Security travel lookout list sometime after Barack Obama came into office.

Terrorist Faisal Shahzad had substantial connections to the Taliban, reached out to the Taliban, was influenced by Yemeni terror leader Anwar al Awlaki, made at least a dozen return trips to Pakistan since arriving in the United States in 1999, and he bought a one way ticket with cash to Pakistan.

Now we find out that he was “blogging” and asking for jihad as far back as 2006 but that the Obama Administration took him off the terror watch list anyway.

more: http://biggovernment.com/jhoft/2010/05/08/faisal-shahzad-was-blogging-on-terror-websites-since-2006-but-obama-administration-took-him-off-terror-watch-list-anyway/

Updated May 05, 2010

Times Square Bomb Suspect May Have Received Online Education in Jihad

By Jana Winter

FOXNews.com

The 30-year-old Pakistani-American accused of trying to blow up an SUV in the heart of Times Square may have been poring through the Internet for years to gather information on jihad. FoxNews.com has uncovered several dozens of postings by a man named Faisal Shahzad on radical Islamist Salafist websites devoted to a variety of different jihadist sects.

more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/05/times-square-bomber-faisal-shahzad/

Saturday, May. 08, 2010

Times Square Plot: What If the Bomb Had Worked?

By Howard Chua-Eoan

If you wanted to do a lot of damage with a well-rigged car bomb, the junction of West 45th Street and Broadway in midtown Manhattan, where Times Square narrows into an asphalt bottleneck, would be the place to pick. If the bomb planted in a green 1993 Nissan Pathfinder SUV on the evening of May 1 had exploded, here's what would have happened, according to retired New York police department bomb-squad detective Kevin Barry. The car would have turned into a "boiling liquid explosive." The propane tanks that the bomb comprised would have overheated and ignited into "huge blowtorches" that could have been ejected from the vehicle. The explosion, lasting only a few seconds, would have created a thermal ball wide enough to swallow up most of the intersection. A blast wave would have rocketed out in all directions at speeds of 12,000 to 14,000 ft. per sec. (3,700 to 4,300 m per sec.); hitting the surrounding buildings, the wave would have bounced off and kept going, as much as nine times faster than before. Anyone standing within 1,400 ft. (430 m) — about five city blocks — of the explosion would have been at risk of being hit by shrapnel and millions of shards of flying glass. The many who died would not die prettily. A TIME reporter familiar with the ravages of car bombs in Baghdad describes how victims appeared to be naked because a fireball melted their clothing onto the surface of their skin.

more: http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,8816,1987396,00.html

White House says Pakistan Taliban behind NY bomb

May 9 04:45 PM US/Eastern

By ANNE FLAHERTY

Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON  (AP) - Saying they obtained new evidence, senior White House officials said Sunday that the Pakistani Taliban were behind the failed Times Square bombing.

The attempt marks the first time the group has been able to launch an attack on U.S. soil. And while U.S. officials have downplayed the threat—citing the bomb's lack of sophistication—the incident in Times Square and Christmas Day airline bomber indicate growing strength by overseas terrorist groups linked to al-Qaida even as the CIA says their operations are seriously degraded.

The finding also raises new questions about the U.S. relationship with Pakistan, which is widely known to have al-Qaida and other terrorist groups operating within its borders.

more: http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9FJHTMG1&show_article=1

Mock outrage at stepped-up drone attacks in Pakistan in 3...2...1...

Obama isn't outraged when he's the one pulling the trigger. Duh.

I'm a non-interventionist.  Maybe we should figure out why people hate us before we go about making more people hate us.  Those that are organizing to decimate our way of life at home and abroad should meet a swift and uncompromising justice.

Read these:

George Washington's Farewell Address

In his address Washington:

* Extolls the benefits of the federal government. "The unity of government...is a main pillar in the edifice of your real independence...of your tranquility at home, your peace abroad; of your safety; of your prosperity; of that very liberty which you so highly prize."

* Warns against the party system. "It serves to distract the Public Councils, and enfeeble the Public Administration....agitates the Community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms; kindles the animosity of one....against another....it opens the door to foreign influence and corruption...thus the policy and the will of one country are subjected to the policy and will of another."

* Stresses the importance of religion and morality. "Where is the security for property, for reputation, for life, if the sense of religious obligation desert the oaths, which are the instruments of investigation in Courts of Justice?"

* On stable public credit. "...cherish public credit. One method of preserving it is to use it as sparingly as possible...avoiding likewise the accumulation of debt....it is essential that you...bear in mind, that towards the payments of debts there must be Revenue, that to have Revenue there must be taxes; that no taxes can be devised, which are not...inconvenient and unpleasant..."

* Warns against permanent foreign alliances. "It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world..."

* On an over-powerful military establishment. "...avoid the necessity of those overgrown military establishments, which, under any form of government, are inauspicious to liberty, and which are to be regarded as particularly hostile to Republican Liberty."

A Foreign Policy of Freedom: Peace, Commerce, and Honest Friendship

by Ron Paul

Food-stamp tally nears 40 million, sets record

Fri, May 7 2010

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Nearly 40 million Americans received food stamps -- the latest in an ever-higher string of record enrollment that dates from December 2008 and the U.S. recession, according to a government update.

Food stamps are the primary federal anti-hunger program, helping poor people buy food. Enrollment is highest during times of economic distress. The jobless rate was 9.9 percent, the government said on Friday.

The Agriculture Department said 39.68 million people, or 1 in 8 Americans, were enrolled for food stamps during February, an increase of 260,000 from January. USDA updated its figures on Wednesday.

more: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6465E220100507

I don't want to work,

I just want to bang on this drum (and collect my direct deposit government check) all day...

Landscapers find workers choosing jobless pay

Jaclyn Trop / The Detroit News

In a state with the nation's highest jobless rate, landscaping companies are finding some job applicants are rejecting work offers so they can continue collecting unemployment benefits.

It is unclear whether this trend is affecting other seasonal industries. But the fact that some seasonal landscaping workers choose to stay home and collect a check from the state, rather than work outside for a full week and spend money for gas, taxes and other expenses, raises questions about whether extended unemployment benefits give the jobless an incentive to avoid work.

Members of the Michigan Nursery and Landscape Association "have told me that they have a lot of people applying but that when they actually talk to them, it turns out that they're on unemployment and not looking for work," said Amy Frankmann, the group's executive director. "It is starting to make things difficult."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100510/BIZ/5100335#ixzz0nZ8sACvH

You were being critical of the need for nutrition programs because, you know, Obama invented the recession or something.

EDIT: Sorry. My reply got out of sync with your relentless posting of articles.

When was I ever being critical of "nutrition programs"?

Do you actually read what you post? And for that matter what anybody posts?

Honestly, man. Give it a rest or devote more time to your own blog. You're wearing people out here, and not in a good way.

Why do you have a problem clarifying your position when you accuse someone of being critical when they are not.

I'm just sharing news stories.  You get to decide what to make of the news.

Read my comment again. Slowly. Without the ragey glasses.

And anybody with thumbs and access to realclearpolitics.com can post dire article after dire article about issues related directly and tangentially to the 44th president. It takes actual effort and place the articles in a meaningful context for discussion. This a discussion thread, not a news aggregator; it's a forum for discussion, not a platform for filibuster.

You're a big boy, Scrabble. Deal with it.

Honestly, I'm getting really weary of people who post strings of articles with no meaningful commentary.  Seriously, I can go to news.google.com if I want all that.  What's the point of a message board when all it becomes is a unending series of generally pointless article snippets?

"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett 

This a discussion thread, not a news aggregator; it's a forum for discussion, not a platform for filibuster.

You're a big boy, Scrabble. Deal with it.

If it's a discussion thread, I presume you either share or discuss.  That precludes you from picking on others merely for sharing and discussing.

Filibuster? Deal with what?

http://inhofe.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressReleases&ContentRecord_id=838a23c8-802a-23ad-4026-e0c7020cdff5

Inhofe Opposes Kagan to Supreme Court

Contacts: Jared Young 202-224-5762

Kathryn Heisten 202-224-1282

May 10, 2010

WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.) today announced his opposition to President Obama’s nominee, Solicitor General Elena Kagan, to fill the Supreme Court seat being vacated by Justice John Paul Stevens.

“As with her nomination to serve as Solicitor General, I remain concerned about Elena Kagan’s record,” Inhofe said. “Now as a nominee to the Supreme Court, her lack of judicial experience and her interpretation of the Constitution also play an important role in my decision to once again oppose her nomination. The position for which she has been nominated has lifetime tenure, and it is concerning that the President has placed such trust in a nominee that has not been properly vetted through a judicial career, having worked mostly in academia and never before as a judge.

:: Excerpt shortened for article-posting compliance. ::

Full Article: http://inhofe.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressReleases&ContentRecord_id=838a23c8-802a-23ad-4026-e0c7020cdff5

^^ Share AND discuss. You can't do one without the other.

Filibuster: to halt debate with ending oratory, or in this case, Copy-and-paste-atory.

Deal. With. It. They're short words, and there aren't many of them. I think you can process the meaning.

^^ Share AND discuss. You can't do one without the other.

Right. When I share something, I'm not going to discuss it until someone else chimes in. It takes at least two people to have a discussion. :D

There has been a history here on UO of folks just posting articles.  I spent some time cleaning up some of those threads.  In none of them, were any comments made either pro or con, they were just posted for the sake of the information.  I appreciate the articles, as I can read them here and not have to search numerous web sites.

There has been a history here on UO of folks just posting articles.  I spent some time cleaning up some of those threads.  In none of them, were any comments made either pro or con, they were just posted for the sake of the information.  I appreciate the articles, as I can read them here and not have to search numerous web sites.

Thanks Dan.  I tend to comment on articles other people post and only discuss the articles I share if someone else makes the first comment.

Some context for Obama Supreme Court nominee Elena Kagan's actions as Dean of Harvard Law School with regard to allowing/disallowing/allowing military recruiters on campus. As usual, the soundbites from right and left do a disservice to the truth:

What Really Happened at Harvard

Samuel P. Jacobs Samuel P. Jacobs Mon May 10, 10:50 pm ET

NEW YORK – Do Elena Kagan’s actions as law school dean during a battle over military recruitment offer clues to how she’ll rule as Supreme Court justice? The Daily Beast’s Samuel P. Jacobs reports.

Elena Kagan’s paper trail as a judicial thinker is short—so short, in fact, that it can be read in one day. The newly announced Supreme Court nominee’s skimpy record should be a boon to President Obama, as Kagan won’t have any bothersome court decisions weighing her down, but it’s proving frustrating to court watchers on both sides of the aisle. Liberals fear they are being sold a successor to Justice John Paul Stevens who will morph into a fence-sitting Anthony Kennedy. Conservatives worry that Kagan will slide leftward, lingering on the bench for generations as the second coming of Thurgood Marshall, whom she clerked for and who gave her the nickname “Shorty.”

Full story: http://news.yahoo.com/s/dailybeast/20100511/ts_dailybeast/8012_whatreallyhappenedatharvard

A moment of history: Kagan's confirmation would mean no Protestants on Supreme Court

May 10, 2010 08:23 PM

By Lisa Wangsness, Globe Staff

President Obama's nomination of Elena Kagan to the US Supreme Court represents a turning point in American religious history: If Kagan is confirmed, the high court will not have a single Protestant member.

Just over half of all Americans are Protestant, while less than one-quarter are Catholic and just 1.7 percent are Jewish, according to the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life's US Religious Landscape Survey. But, if Kagan is confirmed to the bench, the nation's highest court -- dominated by Protestants for most of its history -- will be made up of six Catholics and three Jews.

more: http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/05/a_moment_of_his.html

^I'm not sure why this would be an issue. It's not as if Protestants, Catholics and Jews differ terribly in culture, wealth, political orientation, education or outlook on major issues.

^I'm not sure why this would be an issue. It's not as if Protestants, Catholics and Jews differ terribly in culture, wealth, political orientation, education or outlook on major issues.

normally this wouldn't, and shouldn't be an issue, but it's obvious that recent Supreme Court picks have been made in a nod to political correctness to try and reflect the demographic makeup of the nation as a whole--whether religious, racial, geographic origin, etc. (remember all the praise about Sonia Sotomayor's ethnic roots?). So when a huge segment of the population is not represented on the Court, why shouldn't they make note of it and speak up? If Kagan is confirmed, fully one-third of the Court will be composed of liberal women from one city, New York. How does this reflect the diversity of the nation?

PS. I happen to enjoy Scrabble's article posts. Why would anyone object to having access to more information? If they're so burdensome to read, just skip through them.

No WASPS!!

So what you are saying is, WE ALL LOOK ALIKE? 

Protestants are America's largest denomination and their historical influence on the formation and maturation of this country is undeniable.

We need WASP Affirmative Action on the SCOTUS now.  ;)

Yeah, but it makes a good start to a joke:

"So six Catholics and three Jews wander into the Supreme Court, one of the Jews says, 'hey, where are all the Protestants?  One of the Catholics says'......"

UK Telegraph: US faces same problems as Greece, says Bank of England

By Edmund Conway Economics Last updated: May 13th, 2010

Mervyn King, Governor of the Bank of England, fears that America shares many of the same fiscal problems currently haunting Europe. He also believes that European Union must become a federalised fiscal union (in other words with central power to tax and spend) if it is to survive. Just two of the nuggets from one of the most extraordinary press conferences I have been to at the Bank.

The transcript and video are online at the Bank’s website, but below are the extended highlights, all emphasis mine. Well worth checking out.

America, and many other large economies including the UK, share some of the same problems as Greece with its public finances:

Every country around the world is in a similar position, even the United States; the world’s largest economy has a very large fiscal deficit. And one of the concerns in financial markets is clearly – how will this enormous stock of public debt be reduced over the next few years? And it’s very important that governments, both here and elsewhere, get to grips with this problem, have a clear approach and a very clear and credible approach to reducing the size of those deficits over, in our case, the lifetime of this parliament, in order to convince markets that they should be willing to continue to finance the very large sums of money that will be needed to be raised from financial markets over the next few years, at reasonable interest rates.

more: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/edmundconway/100005657/us-faces-same-problems-as-greece-says-bank-of-england/

CBS NEWS - Buffalo to Obama: "I Need a Freakin' Job"

Western N.Y. Media Campaign Puts Focus on Unemployment as President Visits Region to Discuss the Economy

May 13, 2010

image6479373g.jpg

(CBS)  Frustrated western New Yorkers have a pointed message for President Barack Obama when he visits the economically troubled region Thursday: "I need a freakin job."

The president makes another stop on what the White House calls his "Main Street economic tour, this time to Buffalo, NY, the anchor city in a region that was hard hit long before a recession that made things even worse, reports CBS News White House correspondent Bill Plante.

Awaiting him will be a billboard carrying a simple, direct message: "Dear Mr. President, I need a freakin job. Period." The sign is part of a media campaign called the INAFJ Project, which was organized by Buffalo businessman Jeff Baker. Baker lost his own small business 15 months ago.

more: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/05/13/earlyshow/main6479377.shtml

This is a pretty inventive and amusing site.

INAJF: http://www.inafj.org/

I agree there ought to be a Protestant on SCOTUS and it's not just because I was raised as one.  To the extent that religious views matter in politics, some balance here would be nice.  The Protestant ethos (to the extent it can be generalized) is heavier on autonomy and lighter on authority and tradition for tradition's sake.  I'm not an atheist, but I wouldn't mind seeing an atheist on the court as well.  The current court is un-representative in several ways. 

I'm not an atheist, but I wouldn't mind seeing an atheist on the court as well. The current court is un-representative in several ways.  

What about representation for myself and my agnostic peoples?!  Seriously though, if there's ever been a group that's been underrepresented in the American political and judicial system, it's the non-believers/skeptics/questioners.  Or at least we probably have quite a few people in office that are afraid to be honest about being such.