Sign in to follow this  
Guest montecarloss

The Obama Presidency

New York Times: Unanswered Questions on the Spill

May 1, 2010

Editorial

Now we have another disaster in more or less the same neck of the woods [as Katrina], and it takes the administration more than a week to really get moving.

The timetable is damning. The blowout occurred on April 20. In short order, fire broke out on the rig, taking 11 lives, the rig collapsed and oil began leaking at a rate of 40,000 gallons a day. BP tried but failed to plug the well. Even so, BP appears to have remained confident that it could handle the situation with private resources (as did the administration) until Wednesday night, when, at a hastily called news conference, the Coast Guard quintupled its estimate of the leak to 5,000 barrels, or more than 200,000 gallons a day.

Only then did the administration move into high gear.

more: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/01/opinion/01sat1.htm

I think the reason Obama's not getting more sh!t for this is that the main people who would give him sh!t are the ones who want less government regulation over business. They're also the same ones who have been crying for more oil drilling, and this incident precisely backs up the arguments against oil drilling.

I agree, though, there should have been more regulation and oversight. Obama should get more grief for this.

We also need to learn lessons: more regulation and oversight on preexisting wells and complete cancellation of plans to start any more drilling. Not only that, but an even stronger effort to improve and build freight and passenger rail infrastructure, wind farms, etc.

Obama needs to be pressured to use this tragedy as an educational opportunity for the public on how technologies are available today to reduce the need for these hazardous wells, and he needs to take steps to implement those technologies.

But first and foremost we need to get this crap cleaned up ASAP. And then fine the bejeebus out of BP! Unlike Katrina, people were behind this disaster. Let's make sure they're held accountable!

Where are the "drill baby drill" chanters now?  Every damn one of them should be in Louisiana right now on clean up duty!

Surely Ms. Drill Baby Drill herself will be showing up any day now wearing the latest haute couture.

md_horiz.jpg

Worth a read from beginning to end:

Obama Michigan Graduation Speech: FULL TEXT

Below is the text President Obama's speech at the University of Michigan Commencement, as prepared for delivery.

It is great to be here in the Big House, and may I say "Go Blue!" I thought I'd go for the cheap applause line to start things off.

Being an Ohio State grad, that might be the only speech I've ever enjoyed that began with a "Go Blue" chant!  Thanks for posting Kingfish.

So, I'm thinking we could start pool on which industry suffers a major disaster next.  I'm thinking a chemical disaster (massive chlorine gas leak maybe), but I wouldn't count out First Energy knocking out power to half the country again.

I guess that explains why Clinton never got sh!t for anything either...

monicaclinton1.jpg

No, it has more to do with the event displaying what's wrong with Republican politics. I guess attacking Obama for this would make even Republicans feel a bit too hypocritical.

Also, it's really not like Katrina. If you can't see that, you're pretty blind.

But what if you really really really really really want it to be like Katrina?

I know right? Playing up that connection a little too hard scrabble.

I just posted articles from sources like the New York Times, the Associated Press, UK's Daily Mail, etc.

...Bill Maher too.

Here's one you missed:

Obama: BP will pay, but we will spare no resource

(NECN: Venice, La.) - President Barack Obama on Sunday visited Louisiana to assess the Gulf oil spill, saying the government is focused on a "fully-coordinated, relentless response" to stop the oil leak at the bottom of the sea.

The leak is a direct result of an explosion of unknown cause at an offshore oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico, which was owned by British Petroleum.  The president plastered BP with blame for the incident, but said the government would not leave the response entirely in the oil company's hands.

Full story: http://www.necn.com/pages/print_landing?blockID=227451&feedID=4215&

Full video, text of the president's remarks:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/02/obama-gulf-oil-spill-speech_n_560319.html

I was repulsed by Obama's use of the F word on a nationally televised event. Neither funny nor honorable.

Time for a new poll BTW.

Obama had the DOJ file an appeal in the case of the National Day of Prayer I think it was.  Smart move on his part.

Obama's plea for civility is exactly right

By John P. Avlon, CNN Contributor

New York (CNN) -- We don't listen to each other anymore.

It's not just a complaint in relationships -- it's a fair characterization of the state of our national political debate. The bond between fellow American citizens is being weakened by screaming and suspicion.

That's why President Obama's commencement address at the University of Michigan this past weekend is worth contemplating.

FULL ARTICLE: http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/05/04/avlon.obama.civility/index.html?hpt=T3

Since Scrabble is always posting suggested readings, I would like to suggest John Avlon's work - "Wingnuts: How the Lunatic Fringe is Hijacking America."

Since Scrabble is always posting suggested readings, I would like to suggest John Avlon's work - "Wingnuts: How the Lunatic Fringe is Hijacking America."

When was the last time I did that?  Who is the lunatic fringe?  Van Jones & Co?

another myth (that the GOP is exclusively the party of white racists) busted (but I'm sure the propagandists--some of them right here!--who perpetuate this sort of divisive garbage are determined to keep it alive)!:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/05/us/politics/05blacks.html?src=me

Black Hopefuls Pick This Year in G.O.P. Races

By JENNIFER STEINHAUER

Published: May 4, 2010

Among the many reverberations of President Obama’s election, here is one he probably never anticipated: at least 32 African-Americans are running for Congress this year as Republicans, the biggest surge since Reconstruction, according to party officials.

The House has not had a black Republican since 2003, when J. C. Watts of Oklahoma left after eight years.

But now black Republicans are running across the country — from a largely white swath of beach communities in Florida to the suburbs of Phoenix, where an African-American candidate has raised more money than all but two of his nine (white) Republican competitors in the primary.

Just because the GOP holds a virtual monopoly on white racists, does not mean that it is exclusively made up of white racists.

Regardless, I am not so sure how appealing the modern day GOP is to the general black community.... you know, given the two groups' very different views on "bondage"

another myth (that the GOP is exclusively the party of white racists) busted (but I'm sure the propagandists--some of them right here!--who perpetuate this sort of divisive garbage are determined to keep it alive)!:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/05/us/politics/05blacks.html?src=me

Black Hopefuls Pick This Year in G.O.P. Races

By JENNIFER STEINHAUER

Published: May 4, 2010

Among the many reverberations of President Obama’s election, here is one he probably never anticipated: at least 32 African-Americans are running for Congress this year as Republicans, the biggest surge since Reconstruction, according to party officials.

The House has not had a black Republican since 2003, when J. C. Watts of Oklahoma left after eight years.

But now black Republicans are running across the country — from a largely white swath of beach communities in Florida to the suburbs of Phoenix, where an African-American candidate has raised more money than all but two of his nine (white) Republican competitors in the primary.

If this is what it takes for the GOP to notice black people, I say it is all good.

Just because the GOP holds a virtual monopoly on white racists, does not mean that it is exclusively made up of white racists.

Regardless, I am not so sure how appealing the modern day GOP is to the general black community.... you know, given the two groups' very different views on "bondage"

this thread is no place for your proclivities! :whip:

They are not only being noticed, one of them has made such strides as to be THIRD in fundraising among several Republican primary candidates!!!  Another 10 years or so and we might see a black candidate move into that 2nd slot.

this thread is no place for your proclivities! :whip:

Whips too

^Why do you refuse to keep this thread on-topic?

Considering you're the guy who has been talking about whips and bondage in his most recent posts in this thread, you have little room to complain.

Scrabble is always on topic.

Obama biggest recipient of BP cash

By: Erika Lovley

May 5, 2010 05:05 AM EDT

While the BP oil geyser pumps millions of gallons of petroleum into the Gulf of Mexico, President Barack Obama and members of Congress may have to answer for the millions in campaign contributions they’ve taken from the oil and gas giant over the years.

BP and its employees have given more than $3.5 million to federal candidates over the past 20 years, with the largest chunk of their money going to Obama, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. Donations come from a mix of employees and the company’s political action committees — $2.89 million flowed to campaigns from BP-related PACs and about $638,000 came from individuals.

more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0510/36783.html

Hedge funds donate big to Democrats - get exempted from bank bill

By Silla Brush - 05/03/10 07:25 PM ET

The world’s top-earning hedge fund managers have bankrolled almost exclusively Democratic campaigns.

The top 10 highest-paid hedge fund managers in 2009 have dished out campaign contributions almost only to Democrats.

Over their lifetimes, those managers have given almost $33 million in campaign contributions to Democrats, according to research by the National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC) and that is based on data maintained by the nonpartisan CQMoneyline.

more: http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/banking-financial-institutions/95763-hedge-funds-donate-big-to-democrats

So Obama can b!tch and moan about the presence of allied troops in the Middle East fomenting terrorism when he's campaigning, but he won't take responsibility when his drone strikes motivate Taliban-trained terrorists like Shahzad, the Times Square bomber?  Where's the antiwar left?

Taliban lackey's twisted mission

* Revenge for US drone slayings * Trained for terror in Pakistan * 8 Islamic cohorts rounded up

By BRUCE GOLDING, JOHN DOYLE and DAN MANGAN

Last Updated: 7:27 AM, May 5, 2010

Posted: 3:02 AM, May 5, 2010

It was payback.

The Connecticut man charged yesterday with the botched Times Square car bombing confessed to trying to slaughter innocent people in retaliation for US drone attacks that wiped out the leadership of his beloved Taliban, The Post has learned.

Admitted terrorist Faisal Shahzad -- who copped to training in explosives in the past year with Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan, the leading extremist Islamic group in his native Pakistan -- said he was driven to evil by the slew of deaths among leaders of the terror group, law-enforcement sources revealed yesterday.

More: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/taliban_lackey_Su3wybDRpAYfahVx03zskI

Ahh, the nightly offering from Scrabble's Big Bag o' Rage.

Served with a side of sardonic smiles.  I report, you decide.

Since Kanye won't say it...

Barack Obama Doesn’t Care About Southern People

Posted on May 6, 2010 by Alan Smithee

We have three, count ‘em three, disasters unfolding across the American South – east to west – and yet President Obama has done and is doing next to nothing about any of them.

Nashville, TN is currently under water.  Floods there have killed at least 19 and done $1 billion in damage.  The whole city is practically displaced.  Where’s President Obama?  He’s out there doing his usual insult comic schtick, while his Secretary of the Interior went whitewater rafting.  Heckuva job, uh, Strickie!

Out in the Gulf of Mexico, a major oil spill threatens the ecology on the coasts of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and Florida – all southern states.  The Obama administration at first downplayed the disaster, then moved too slowly.  Reports say that if the administration had acted with requisite urgency, up to 95% of the oil could have been burned away harmlessly.  Instead, fisheries, wildlife beaches and perhaps rivers are threatened by this oil flood.

And don’t forget that in the American Southwest, from Texas to California, the border remains an unguarded mess.  Mexico is fast becoming one of the most dangerous places in the Western hemisphere, as drug violence and migrant abuse (!) spirals out of control.

more: http://disruptthenarrative.wordpress.com/2010/05/06/barack-obama-doesnt-care-about-southern-people/