Sign in to follow this  
Guest wimwar

Cleveland Cavs Discussion

Just now, Sir2geez said:

He wasn't playing the young guys. Have to develop Cedi, Sexton, Zizic...

So Lue wasn't on the same page as the owner and gm. And we had to go ten games into the season to find this out?

This is organizational disarray, plain and simple. 

Just now, surfohio said:

So Lue wasn't on the same page as the owner and gm. And we had to go ten games into the season to find this out?

This is organizational disarray, plain and simple. 

It is...Dan needs to hire a basketball guy and let him run the organization. He was on the right track with Chauncey Billups. 

now that overpaid bum thompson is going on vacation for a month with an alleged foot injury.

love not back until mid january at the earliest.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

^Who the heck approved those?  Look at some of the other teams.  The Cavs got some pretty bad jerseys out of this.

I'm okay with these. Most NBA fans are going nuts over them. 

It's back! I'm talking about the chemistry between Delly and Tristan. This season is a rough one for Cavs fans. But the Battle Without LeBron is a small moment of satisfaction. When Love comes back the Cavs are going to win their share of games. 

So should we take from last night's game that the Cavs Without Lebron are better than the Lakers Without Lebron??

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Been trying to catch up with taped Cavs games this Saturday, afraid with Love's return may kick them out of bottom 3 lottery slot. I hear best fit on PD is Barrett but Zion would bring excitement to the Q, fill seats and may I say possibly become better recruiter than Lebron (I don't feel many liked playing with Lebron for being a circus show of hype over shadowing other teammates on teams he has played for) . If you have a chance to get Zion, get him but will be very disappointed if they don't get either.. No guarantee's more so than ever with new lottery rules this year.

i wonder if the cavs play themselves out of the bottom three better lotto picks with love back? i think they are only a win or so away from the bulls, so it could happen.

another win against a halfway decent team.

best to be in the top bottom three of course, but really the 4-5 pick chances are not as markedly different from the top three as i had thought — per wiki:

Beginning with the 2019 draft, the NBA will change the lottery odds as follows:

1. 140 combinations, 14.0% chance of receiving the No. 1 pick

2. 140 combinations, 14.0% chance

3. 140 combinations, 14.0% chance

4. 125 combinations, 12.5% chance

5. 105 combinations, 10.5% chance

6. 90 combinations, 9.0% chance

7. 75 combinations, 7.5% chance

8. 60 combinations, 6.0% chance

9. 45 combinations, 4.5% chance

10. 30 combinations, 3.0% chance

But it still matters where you slot after the lottery picks are chosen. 3rd worst can’t slip past 7th pick, 4th can slide to 8th, etc.

Meanwhile.....

On 3/4/2019 at 11:06 AM, mrnyc said:

thats true, then it falls to each team's record i think.

Yes, only first 4 picks are done via lottery (changed from first 3 last year).

oh yeah i just saw they added a 4th pick, so that should keep the cavs in the lotto hunt should they surpass chicago, which they very well could.

Uh, that's not a WojBomb. That's a WojNuke! 

1 hour ago, KJP said:

Cavs owner Dan Gilbert hospitalized with 'stroke-like symptoms'

https://www.news5cleveland.com/dan-gilbert-stroke-symptoms

Shit, hope he’s ok...the article made it sound like he was recovering comfortably. Eventually he’ll probably hand the franchise down to Nick (son). Also can we just skip the Finals and get straight to the draft? Summer League? Our frontrunners at #5 are Jarrett Culver, De’Andre Hunter, and Cam Reddish. With Zion, Ja, and RJ out of the way, the Lakers are presumed to be taking either Hunter or Darius Garland. Even with the disappointment of falling to 5 and LeBron’s Lakers drafting ahead of us (barring a trade), we have solid choices. Do we go with high risk but high upside in Reddish or a more “bust-proof” player like Jarrett Culver, who may be the most versatile player in this draft. Also Culver and Hunter likely would instantly improve our terrible defense. 

Edited by Boxtruffles
Detail

"We each pay a fabulous price
  for our visions of paradise."
     - ????, ???????

1 hour ago, Boxtruffles said:

Shit, hope he’s ok...the article made it sound like he was recovering comfortably. Eventually he’ll probably hand the franchise down to Nick (son). Also can we just skip the Finals and get straight to the draft? Summer League? Our frontrunners at #5 are Jarrett Culver, De’Andre Hunter, and Cam Reddish. With Zion, Ja, and RJ out of the way, the Lakers are presumed to be taking either Hunter or Darius Garland. Even with the disappointment of falling to 5 and LeBron’s Lakers drafting ahead of us (barring a trade), we have solid choices. Do we go with high risk but high upside in Reddish or a more “bust-proof” player like Jarrett Culver, who may be the most versatile player in this draft. Also Culver and Hunter likely would instantly improve our terrible defense. 

Cavs are definitely in an interesting spot. I think there might be some opportunity for them to move around in the draft. I imagine the Lakers aren’t too thrilled about adding another young player to their roster, and there’s no way Boston wants to add 3 first round rookies (although I would be cautious about dealing with Ainge.) If the Cavs could add another pick somewhere in the middle of the draft (using some of their expirings), they might get the best of both worlds. They could take Culver at 5 and take a big swing on somebody like Kevin Porter later. 

• Like 1

D2AD769D-D164-43B2-ADF5-A5F5A2BF6E2F.thumb.jpeg.ee5f59f09407f8bce3dc5a745013879b.jpegWhat a draft haul for the Cavs...Darius Garland (in the traditional Tatooinian garb 😆)  at 5 (was hoping for Culver but this was a good selection; backcourt of the future). No trading up with JR’s contract but took Dylan Windler (21ppg/11reb at Belmont last season, good off-ball player, great shooting) who should fit nicely under Beilein’s offense (oh, and the Cavs have hired Lindsay Gottlieb, the first woman coach to go from NCAA to NBA, and Antonio Lang from the Utah Jazz as assistant coaches since the lottery). Finally, a surprise trade of 4 of our accumulated second-rounders and cash considerations for their 30th pick was made with the Pistons (30th pick via Bucks) for Kevin Porter Jr., as you mentioned above. 

Edited by Boxtruffles

- ????, ???????

The Porter pick was a pleasant surprise. Love his raw scoring ability.

New court designs for the upcoming season have been leaked, including a sick throwback/classic court and feather C city edition court—and we could be seeing these jerseys (again)!

EAD9DD65-AE10-4B20-88F4-DF0E882E934C.jpeg

37836341-6C14-4F54-AC23-DE28499F9962.jpeg

CD05B3DC-189A-4474-BDA0-338622C70B1D.jpeg

0BD0E7E2-D776-418C-9950-060104DE8CBA.jpeg

142120E2-4CE5-49AE-A6A2-4B27FD8CCF08.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

- ????, ???????

I can understand having a bit of nostalgia for those early Gund Arena era uniforms (and for 90s Microsoft clip art), but I don’t think they ever were or will ever be popular. 

The blue/gold Cavs unis mean nothing to me. It’s like some other team. 

I’d have been much more on board with a re-work of the Price-Nance-Daugherty era stuff that the new mgmt seems to hate. 

Aw well, maybe I’m dead wrong and people will love it. I’m still looking forward to the season. It’ll be interesting! 

Edited by surfohio

6 minutes ago, surfohio said:

I can understand having a bit of nostalgia for those early Gund Arena era uniforms (and for 90s Microsoft clip art), but I don’t think they ever were or will ever be popular. 

The blue/gold Cavs unis mean nothing to me. It’s like some other team. 

I’d have been much more on board with a re-work of the Price-Nance-Daugherty era stuff that the new mgmt seems to hate. 

Aw well, maybe I’m dead wrong and people will love it. I’m still looking forward to the season. It’ll be interesting! 

The city edition jerseys are generally a departure from the normal scheme for most teams. Those blue and gold ones are actually modeled on an old Cavs uni tho.

7CD9DC1B-DC49-4512-9F18-D5F2DED13A62.jpeg

Edited by bumsquare
  • Like 1

^ now that I did not know, b ecause i’m younger than 70 😉 Kidding!! 

Is that from the dreaded Ted Steppian era? I admittedly have very little knowledge of the Cavs prior to 89. 

1 hour ago, surfohio said:

^ now that I did not know, b ecause i’m younger than 70 😉 Kidding!! 

Is that from the dreaded Ted Steppian era? I admittedly have very little knowledge of the Cavs prior to 89. 

No, that's from the Nick Mileti era - those were the original Cavs uniforms

2 hours ago, surfohio said:

Oh wow. I'm surprised they didn't have Bobby Sura make the announcement. Is there another franchise that has more color schemes than the Cavs? 

I’m pumped, Nov 23 home game vs POR will be the first time we get to see the classic court/units in action this season. I know Jazz have quite a few (dark green, yellow, blue, white, purple/mountains)—seems like expansion teams typically go though more color changes than the original franchises.

- ????, ???????

Aw man this is horrible.

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2019/09/fred-mcleod-tv-voice-of-the-cavaliers-has-died-at-age-67.html

Fred McLeod, TV voice of the Cavaliers, has died at age 67
Updated 11:27 AM; Today 10:14 AM
By Chris Fedor, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Fred McLeod, the TV voice of the Cleveland Cavaliers, died suddenly Monday evening, the team announced. He was 67 years old.

A multiple regional Emmy Award winner, McLeod was one of the most accomplished and respected announcers in the NBA. He recently celebrated his 36th season of broadcasting games, having also spent 22 seasons announcing Detroit Pistons games before returning home to join the Cavaliers in 2006.

McLeod was born and grew up in nearby Strongsville, Ohio. He was the Cavaliers television play-by-play announcer on FOX Sports Ohio since the 2006 season and was about to embark on his 14th consecutive season -- and 15th overall -- as he served in the same capacity with the Cavs during the 1979-80 season. In addition to his play-by-play duties, McLeod also served as the Cavaliers’ Executive Producer for Multimedia, providing fans behind-the-scenes access on Cavs.com Cavs HQ, Twitter and Facebook with daily updates and interviews during the season.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Mendo said:

Terrible news. Such a bright and happy voice to hear during the good and bad years. His Game 7 winning call against the Warriors is ingrained in my head forever. 

RIP Fred.

• Like 1

Very sad. Fred was a very likable guy. I can only imagine the pain his family and friends, such as Austin Carr, are going through.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mrnyc said:

i’m really looking forward to sexton/garland. at least on o.

also watching cedi progress.

thats all for now.

https://cavsnation.com/cavs-news-john-beilein-says-backcourt-positions-dont-matter-when-it-comes-darius-garland-collin-sexton/amp/

If they break even this season I'll be happy.

I'm just glad there are no mega stars on the team at the moment, but I feel there is no "leader".  As long as they beat the Knicks, Lakers, Clippers, Mavs and Nuggets I'm happy.  

• Like 1

Former NBA coach Blatt leaves Olympiakos

Piraeus (Greece) (AFP) - Olympiakos announced Sunday the departure of former Cleveland Cavaliers coach David Blatt, who in August revealed his diagnosis with primary progressive multiple sclerosis (PPMS).

"It is a difficult moment for everyone since we part ways with a great coach but most of all a wonderful person," the Greek basketball club said.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/former-nba-coach-blatt-leaves-olympiakos-170403922--nba.html

• Sad 1

hmm this does not portend well.

#9 of ten things masslive learned from the cavs-celts game:

9. The Cavaliers are just awful

They finished the game with 27 turnovers and 26 made baskets. That’s not easy to pull off.

Cleveland was never supposed to be good, but they could be the worst team in the league.

They’ve got some young talent that will be interesting to watch develop. Kevin Porter, Jr., Darius Garland, Marques Bolden, and Collin Sexton could be the future of that franchise, but if one or two of those guys don’t pan out, then it could be a long rebuild in Cleveland.

The Kevin Love trade watch will be interesting this year.

Edited by mrnyc