Sign in to follow this  
Guest wimwar

Cleveland Cavs Discussion

Thanks for the championship, LeBron.

I hope it was your last.

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

^He used us to repair his image in 2014, we used him for a championship in 2016. We’re even in my mind but I hoped he’d join a team with the motivation to beat the Warriors. I could have gotten on board with that, but this seems like an ego trip.

The Cleveland Browns are now in better shape than the Cleveland Cavaliers.

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

Why??

Sucks for the image of the cavs. A lot of fans across the country rooted for Cleveland solely for LeBron. Constant coverage on every sporting network as well.

Now the cavs are back to being ignored.

It was a fun ride. But downtown Cleveland development was pretty robust in 2010-14 while LeBron was in Miami. And Greater Cleveland's economy is the same size as Hungary's. I think we'll be OK. ;)

Why??

I’m sure the same reason you stated I hope it’s his last. I don’t wish him any ill will but the only thing that bothers me is the 3+1 contract. He held the Cavs franchise hostage every year he was here and then turned around and gave LA a long term commitment.

Why??

I’m sure the same reason you stated I hope it’s his last. I don’t wish him any ill will but the only thing that bothers me is the 3+1 contract. He held the Cavs franchise hostage every year he was here and then turned around and gave LA a long term commitment.

Right, gave them a long term commitment and I am hearing reports that he stated to Magic Johnson that he was "in no rush" to win a championship, meaning he is willing to have patience with that organization to build a contending team. Meanwhile with the Cavs it was WIN NOW, even if that meant getting rid of one of the best star point guards in the league and trading away our number one draft pick in 2014. Think about how much better off the Cavs would be if we still had Kyrie and Wiggins in Lebron's absence.

We need to take a cue from the Warriors and try to build our team from the draft.

^ i think everyone is trying to do that.  Its just not easy.  getting the right talent, and then getting them to want to play hard for their city...and then having it come together with a few key free agents, which cleveland never lands

We need to take a cue from the Warriors and try to build our team from the draft.

That worked out well for OKC...

As much as LBJ leaving is painful there is a bright side. Youth movement. I wanna see Nance and Cedi running like crazy and this new dude Collin "Bull" Sexton. Tristan and K Love will give quality minutes. Clarkson is a wildcard. Who the heck knows if this team can even make the playoffs but either way I'm hoping that we see a team that's having fun out there again. No pressure.

^Love will be gone...at least he should be. the hawks get the cavs pick next year if the cavs are outside the top 10.  So the cavs, essetnially need to stink to reboot the rebuild process.  Keeping Love might get you competing for the 8th seed, but really there not any prosperity any time soon.  Ideally, trade love for another nice pick next year as it is suppose to be a deep draft.  I wouldn't mind them keeping TT.  I would love to see NBA teams try to keep players more for their careers.  This jumping around thing is annoying.

The Cavs have a ton of cap room for the season after next, not that they will attract free agents, but it will be a good time to get back to building something instead of just making ridiculous moves every 6 months.  Very erratic.  Lets see if Dan can try to build something stable.

Likely, the cavs probably wont ever see an NBA finals again in my lifetime, but we can hope.  Think about how many teams never get there or havent been there in decades.  Very hard to get there and you have to get some luck that you can not only draft, but raise a champion type player. 

All this said, im excited again to watch some potential.  it will be nice to see the team play hard every night in the regular season...guys like Cedi and zizic, and sexton.  The model needs to be the 2004 Pistons model...build a really really good team.

^Love will be gone...at least he should be. the hawks get the cavs pick next year if the cavs are outside the top 10.  So the cavs, essetnially need to stink to reboot the rebuild process.  Keeping Love might get you competing for the 8th seed, but really there not any prosperity any time soon.  Ideally, trade love for another nice pick next year as it is suppose to be a deep draft.  I wouldn't mind them keeping TT.  I would love to see NBA teams try to keep players more for their careers.  This jumping around thing is annoying.

The Cavs have a ton of cap room for the season after next, not that they will attract free agents, but it will be a good time to get back to building something instead of just making ridiculous moves every 6 months.  Very erratic.  Lets see if Dan can try to build something stable.

Likely, the cavs probably wont ever see an NBA finals again in my lifetime, but we can hope.  Think about how many teams never get there or havent been there in decades.  Very hard to get there and you have to get some luck that you can not only draft, but raise a champion type player. 

All this said, im excited again to watch some potential.  it will be nice to see the team play hard every night in the regular season...guys like Cedi and zizic, and sexton.  The model needs to be the 2004 Pistons model...build a really really good team.

The have to tank to get to keep that Hawks pick. Every pick counts going forward. Also, cap space next summer will help. Gilbert will take on bad contracts for picks.

Why??

Just because I don't want him to win a championship doesn't mean I'm going to switch allegiances from the Cavs to the Warriors. Or maybe you were saying that you're going to root for the Warriors in the West, to keep the Lakers from playing for a championship but still cheer for the Cavs? At least I hope so!

Why??

Just because I don't want him to win a championship doesn't mean I'm going to switch allegiances from the Cavs to the Warriors. Or maybe you were saying that you're going to root for the Warriors in the West, to keep the Lakers from playing for a championship but still cheer for the Cavs? At least I hope so!

Yep, that’s what meant KJP. I meant when the Warriors play the Lakers in the playoffs. I hate the Warriors and I’d never openly root for a non Cleveland team.

Just going to say this to some of us Clevelanders who are beside themselves today.

Unless you own a business adjacent to the Q - why the hell are you so worked up about the accomplishments and decisions of another adult? Maybe buy a jigsaw puzzle or something.

Just going to say this to some of us Clevelanders who are beside themselves today.

Unless you own a business adjacent to the Q - why the hell are you so worked up about the accomplishments and decisions of another adult? Maybe buy a jigsaw puzzle or something.

agree.  We need more of this mindset in our region.  People need to find their own "greatness" or whatever, and not focus strictly on that of others.  Unfortunately, in this very sports serious area...thats not the case.

My biggest disappointment is in the image and perception that our region will inevitably endure.  Like the guy from here still can move on to bigger and better things.  I would really like to see that narrative end in my lifetime. I'm happy here and overall don't care what other people think about where i choose to live and love...however,every little piece of information matters to the national and international public at least in terms of perception.  We took many wins the last few years, sports and non sports.  We also continue to take some losses.  But THAT guy continuing to be dedicated to our region would continue to help reshape the image from an outsider perspective.  I really don't care that he left from a basketball perspective.  I saw what i needed to see and it was cool.

as far as the bars and stuff... i think lebron being here is a nice jolt, but he was never gonna be here forever.  Gotta get that downtown pop up to 20K and start sustaining without sports.  Cavs will still sell a lot of tickets...just gonna miss out on probably 10-12 games in april-may-june for a bit.

Ha! I guess LeBron's picture won't be seen in any more NueCLEus renderings after all.

Ha! I guess LeBron's picture won't be seen in any more NueCLEus renderings after all.

lol and i guess the new iceland flights will have to pull "seeing lebron james play" from their marketing collateral

agree.  We need more of this mindset in our region.  People need to find their own "greatness" or whatever, and not focus strictly on that of others.  Unfortunately, in this very sports serious area...thats not the case.

My biggest disappointment is in the image and perception that our region will inevitably endure.  Like the guy from here still can move on to bigger and better things.  I would really like to see that narrative end in my lifetime. I'm happy here and overall don't care what other people think about where i choose to live and love...however,every little piece of information matters to the national and international public at least in terms of perception.  We took many wins the last few years, sports and non sports.  We also continue to take some losses.  But THAT guy continuing to be dedicated to our region would continue to help reshape the image from an outsider perspective.  I really don't care that he left from a basketball perspective.  I saw what i needed to see and it was cool.

as far as the bars and stuff... i think lebron being here is a nice jolt, but he was never gonna be here forever.  Gotta get that downtown pop up to 20K and start sustaining without sports.  Cavs will still sell a lot of tickets...just gonna miss out on probably 10-12 games in april-may-june for a bit.

For me, it is not about basketball, hotel revenue, or bars and restaurants. It's about our profile. I traveled a lot a few years ago and the fact is that people on other continents all know Cleveland, and it's because of LeBron. He is irreplaceable in that way.

L.A. (right now) makes no sense from a basketball perspective.  The teams that made the most sense on the court were (in no order) Boston, Philly, Houston, San Antonio, Golden State (lol jk), maybe Utah or New Orleans.  So obviously this wasn't entirely a basketball move.  LeBron obviously cares about his brand, entertainment company, etc, too.

I can't wait for L.A. to be the biggest headache in...well, I don't know, the history of the NBA maybe?  LeBron + Lavar Ball + DeMarcus Cousins = lolololol.

Just seems like such a weird move if you remove the fact that it's *The Lakers.*  They're a terrible 3 point shooting team and LeBron needs 3 point shooters around him.  If they can land Cousins and somehow manage to trade for Leonard...that's a start.  But still, in the West it's:

-Golden State

-Houston

-OKC

-Everyone else

LeBron only has 3, maybe 4 years left at a super high competitive level.  He's bound to waste at least one year (maybe even two years) waiting for the Lakers to build a team around him.

Very Stable Genius

It sounds like Lebron is going into semi-retirement mode.  Gonna make a little more basketball cash on his way to other things.

It sounds like Lebron is going into semi-retirement mode.  Gonna make a little more basketball cash on his way to other things.

Hopefully someday heading up an ownership group to buy the Cavs from Gilbert.

Hopefully someday heading up an ownership group to buy the Cavs from Gilbert.

Yuck I hope not. I hope he never succeeds at anything ever again. He’s a disingenuous egomaniac. I mean, Gilbert is too, but I don’t want to see Lebron’s face around here again.

^ Hah, way to vilify the one guy who has succeeded in bringing a championship to Cleveland in the last, what, 60 years? After people were burning his jerseys and Gilbert reacted like a fool when he went to Miami, I'm surprised Lebron even came back to Cleveland at all. But he did, and he came through on bringing a championship to a long suffering fan base. He almost single-handedly got the Cavs to the finals 4 years in a row, in spite of the team not really giving him much in the way of a supporting cast. If Durant didn't go to the Warriors, the Cavs would have almost surely won multiple championships in the past few years. What else do you want from the guy? A lifetime in Cleveland? He's a hometown guy, and even said Cleveland will always be home, so I bet he will be involved in the region in various ways forever. He's lifted the profile of Cleveland immensely. Brought you untold amounts of exposure and positive press. But now that he's decided to go play for one of the most iconic franchises in sports, he's a villain with a super-ego who never should show his face in Cleveland again? Get over yourself. Lebron has contributed way more to Cleveland or really Ohio than just about anyone else in recent history.

Personally, I hope he wins multiple championships in LA. The NBA is more fun when the Lakers are good.

Okay so I'm reading today that it "makes sense" to trade K Love in order to tank the season and retain the high draft pick.

No. I hate that. I will not support a team that has no intent on winning. Probably why I'm a schlub and not highly paid GM.

I think folks have the right to feel angry or upset at LeBron olleaving again. He's a once-in-a-generation player and the whole league knows it. But look at the bright side- we've had him for longer than any team in the league, we've seen him grow as a player, and we've witnessed so.e of the best basketball anyone could ask for, season after season. Some of the things will be unforgettable- we'll be telling our grandkids how great '16 was for the city, how he came back after leaving to right a wrong against us, and finally brought it all home. And because of that, I personally feel that he's earned the right. He's earned it. This time, it's not a slight against the city. This times different, as we've all grown as a fan base watching him grow to beco.e the most dominate player in all of basketball.

And because of those memories and experiences, I wish him well. Nobody could ever sell the feeling of the moment the curse was lifted, the screaming the excitement and streets, and the biggest parade in this town's history. It was all special, it was all great to see, and it won't be forgotten.

Would a non-Warriors NBA team even have a chance against the Warriors?

Lillard

Kawhi Leonard

LeBron

LaMarcus Aldridge

Anthony Davis

I mean...you can make it Warriors vs the rest of the NBA and the Warriors are probably favored.

Very Stable Genius

Warriors are the ultimate power play team. You can’t upstage them. Boogie is only one year, it doesn’t matter. As long as Durant and curry are at Gs, they can’t be beat. Nobody can compete with that shooting.

I still like Lebron, but no way I will root for the lakers. Or Yankees. The fan base.....gag

Also, I’m starting to get the sense that players don’t like Lebron.  The curry/kyrie video last year at that wedding. Kyrie leaving, Paul George not going to La. we know he’s obsessed but one could conclude he’s not overly popular within the league.  He sat down kevin Love at a pool and convinced him to sign a 5 year max and then bounced.  And finally, boogie takes a MID LEVEL EXCEPTION (~5 million) to play on the warriors, a true power play to squash the lakers good vibes. I’m sure the pelicans were offering him long term Money and for perspective, Delly makes double that.

This seems like an intentional move almost for spite

^ Hah, way to vilify the one guy who has succeeded in bringing a championship to Cleveland in the last, what, 60 years? After people were burning his jerseys and Gilbert reacted like a fool when he went to Miami, I'm surprised Lebron even came back to Cleveland at all. But he did, and he came through on bringing a championship to a long suffering fan base. He almost single-handedly got the Cavs to the finals 4 years in a row, in spite of the team not really giving him much in the way of a supporting cast. If Durant didn't go to the Warriors, the Cavs would have almost surely won multiple championships in the past few years. What else do you want from the guy? A lifetime in Cleveland? He's a hometown guy, and even said Cleveland will always be home, so I bet he will be involved in the region in various ways forever. He's lifted the profile of Cleveland immensely. Brought you untold amounts of exposure and positive press. But now that he's decided to go play for one of the most iconic franchises in sports, he's a villain with a super-ego who never should show his face in Cleveland again? Get over yourself. Lebron has contributed way more to Cleveland or really Ohio than just about anyone else in recent history.

Personally, I hope he wins multiple championships in LA. The NBA is more fun when the Lakers are good.

I mean, it’s sports. You’re either on my squad or you’re nothing. That’s what makes it fun! It’s not like he was running a charity. And he had no help in Cleveland? He had two 5-time all-stars in their prime. It’s not like he came back out of the goodness of his heart. He left Miami because they were old and Cleveland had young talent. I agree he can do what he wants but why would fans here have to keep wishing him well? He don’t play for our team.

I mean, it’s sports. You’re either on my squad or you’re nothing. That’s what makes it fun! It’s not like he was running a charity. And he had no help in Cleveland? He had two 5-time all-stars in their prime. I agree he can do what he wants but why would fans here have to keep wishing him well? He don’t play for our team.

Hahahahaha I mean...I know he ran several local charities....

Is Cleveland more of a basketball town or a baseball town? I’ve heard varying answers to that...

Or is it more of being a a LeBron fan versus being a cavs fan.

^i would say historically a baseball town. Goes back way further with a pretty rich history. If you ask 10 cleveland fans if they would rather see a cavs or Indians title, I think majority would say Indians.  But Lebron upped the game big time for the Cavs. The younger generation of clevelanders will be really into the Cavs during their lifetime

Warriors signed Demarcus Cousins. The 2018-2019 Season is over.

What. A. Joke.

Perhaps ironically, I’d say LeBron’s ‘decision’ started this whole intentional stacking of the deck trend in the NBA. Boston had their “big 3” but they weren’t quite the same as what was assembled in Miami or Golden State. This era of the NBA sucks.

I feel bad for the Memphis, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Charlotte, Portland, and other smaller market teams. The nba has become largely irrelevant thanks to super teams. I imagine the nba will have to implement a league rule that would ban the construction of super teams...it’s just super unbalanced and uninteresting at this point.

I feel bad for the Memphis, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Charlotte, Portland, and other smaller market teams. The nba has become largely irrelevant thanks to super teams. I imagine the nba will have to implement a league rule that would ban the construction of super teams...it’s just super unbalanced and uninteresting at this point.

This has nothing to do with market size. The teams in New York, Chicago, Washington, Dallas, Phoenix, Atlanta and other larger markets have largely been irrelevant for years. Golden State was nothing for decades until recently. The problem with the NBA is that only a handful of teams have a chance to win a title. And there’s nothing the league can do when punks like LeBron want to form a superteam!!

^i also think this is a phase or era that will pass. Lebron and Kevin Durant are the first insecure superstars the league has ever seen, and that has led them to both at some point form a super team just to get a ring.  Lebron is clean because of going back to cleveland and winning one the hard way.  Would like to say Durant does the same at some point hopefully.  This era is really about the players having the control, not the owner.  While I am not opposed to that, I still think there is a happy medium between player control and super team.

As for the NBA, it’s doing just fine because many fans like players, not teams. The NBA popularity is growing at a really high rate and especially with the younger generation. Even though Cavs will have no shot to win this year, you can still find the compelling story lines in the league and for your own team see if your young guys can be good

Also, I’m starting to get the sense that players don’t like Lebron.  The curry/kyrie video last year at that wedding. Kyrie leaving, Paul George not going to La. we know he’s obsessed but one could conclude he’s not overly popular within the league.  He sat down kevin Love at a pool and convinced him to sign a 5 year max and then bounced.  And finally, boogie takes a MID LEVEL EXCEPTION (~5 million) to play on the warriors, a true power play to squash the lakers good vibes. I’m sure the pelicans were offering him long term Money and for perspective, Delly makes double that.

This seems like an intentional move almost for spite

Some players feel a lure of a potential championship is not worth the cost of having to sacrifice their brand image and alter their game. It’s all about Lebron and it will never be his fault. The two most recent examples of changing their game and losing brand status are Kevin Love & Chris Bosh. Guys like Paul George know that nobody is beating Golden State in the next 2 years so joining Lebron in LA when he’d have to alter his game and provide support to Lebron instead of being option 1A on OK isn’t worth it.

The NBA isn't irrelevant. It's the second strongest North American sports league in the US behind the NFL. It has a following among the under 21 crowd that's unrivaled by any North American league, including the MLS. It's global reach has grown exponentially over the last two decades. Finals ratings are nearing Jordan-era levels. The NBA is strong and youthful. Games are entertaining and fans are laid back. It's the 21st century league for sure and this dynasty isn't going to change that.

Some players feel a lure of a potential championship is not worth the cost of having to sacrifice their brand image and alter their game. It’s all about Lebron and it will never be his fault. The two most recent examples of changing their game and losing brand status are Kevin Love & Chris Bosh. Guys like Paul George know that nobody is beating Golden State in the next 2 years so joining Lebron in LA when he’d have to alter his game and provide support to Lebron instead of being option 1A on OK isn’t worth it.

He plays with Russell Westbrook and Carmelo Anthony.  He's option 1B at best.

Very Stable Genius