Sign in to follow this  
Guest wimwar

Cleveland Cavs Discussion

ah the glorious smak being thrown around out there. gloria-ous. thanks again gloria.

that one incredible drive with the flagarant & goaltend sez it all.

really a bizarre game last night.  Cavs looked kinda flat, couldn't get a shot to fall entire first half...  and somehow kept it close.  Not a ton better in the second half but managed to win.  Not sure if it was incredible defense or the Celtics were a bit flat themselves.  Some analysts today suggested both teams were exhausted after playing 3 games in 5 days... 

I've always said the Cavs need to score a lot to win playoff games because their defense isn't great.  But last night blew that theory apart

The combined three-point shooting of both teams was absolutely abysmal, including a lot of open looks for both sides.  Definitely looked like fatigue.

Now ...

Let's Go Rockets!!*

*just for tonight

The combined three-point shooting of both teams was absolutely abysmal, including a lot of open looks for both sides.  Definitely looked like fatigue.

Now ...

Let's Go Rockets!!*

*just for tonight

The Houston squad saw your post and said hey Gramarye, you wanna see abysmal, watch this!

^tough for any team to match up with GSW offense - when Curry/Thompson & KD all start knocking down 3's, it changes entire flow of the game...

I honestly cannot see us going more than 5 games. You can't sustain iso ball against GSW unless you bury 45% from three off the dribble-drive.

I was just talking to one of my colleagues and we agree that it will be a success if the Cavs can stretch the series to 6 or 7 games.  I hate to be pessimistic but GS is a more complete team.

i think a determined lebron and healthy love and company are good for a win or two at best. ugh but it is truly time for the hard reality to hit. gsw are stacked beyond belief.

The only hope is if Iguodala is out for an extended time period (3+ games) in the Finals.  He was the best defender of LeBron G.S. had/has.  With Iguodala out, the Warriors basically played 6 guys in the Western Conference Finals.  Draymond also may have an ankle sprain.

If the Warriors are rolling their top 7 guys, it's Golden State in 5.  If Iguodala and/or Draymond are out/limited for the first couple games, then I can see it Golden State in 6.

That's what happens when you stack a team with 4 of the top 20 players in the NBA and 2 sure fire HOFers.  LeBron never had that, even in his best Miami days.

Very Stable Genius

hard to envision a win here...positives are the cavs have no pressure and they are underdogs.  They always seem to relish the underdog role.  Last year, they were expected by many to win that finals.  Two years ago, they flourished when down 3-1.  If they can play loose, who knows.  They will essentially need to put together four games where 2 of the following have "perfect" games (Korver, Love, Hill, Smith).  If they can get two perfect performances from any two of them during a game, they will have a shot.  Thats a huge ask and unlikely.  They also need to focus on Klay and Curry.  Those guys hitting three is what kills teams.  Let Durant get his, whatever, its the barrage of threes that makes them unstoppable. 

Houston needs to get ripped by all national media.  They choked twice and their "MVP" choked the entire series.  People are quick to rip the cavs, but the rockets continue to choke

They will essentially need to put together four games where 2 of the following have "perfect" games (Korver, Love, Hill, Smith).  If they can get two perfect performances from any two of them during a game, they will have a shot.  Thats a huge ask and unlikely.

I think we need more than that.  We need LeBron and Love to show up consistently (he can't be on the "who will step up this game" list, he's the #2 guy on the team and he needs to be rock solid throughout).  Slot Green in on your list, or maybe Thompson if we can get him on the offensive glass like he used to.  And to be perfectly frank, Smith has been AWOL in almost these entire playoffs.  He'd be high on my list of people I expect to see offloaded in the offseason.

I don't know that anyone predicted the Cavs to win last year.

James Harden shot 24% from 3 in the Conference Finals lol, including 14 for his last 69 (20%).  MVP? HAHAHA.

It's still amazing to me that LeBron didn't win the '15 Finals MVP award and that he's "only" won the regular season award 4 times.  He averages 27/7/7 for HIS CAREER and has the 2nd highest PER (only slightly behind Jordan) and the league is going to give it to James Harden because he put up a bunch of shots shooting less than 45% from the field hahahahaha.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jamesle01.html

They really give it to Steve Nash (twice!) in years when LeBron averaged 27/7.4/7.2 and 31/7/6.6.  Derrick Rose?  LOL.

Very Stable Genius

Houston *SHOULD* have won that series, if Paul was playing I bet Cleveland would be playing the Cavs.

I think though you shouldn't write off the Cavs.  Obviously when KD, Thompson and Curry get going, it's like "what do you do".  But if Love is healthy to start and the other young guys for the Cavs step up their defensive intensity (you know LeBron will be All-World), then they got a great chance

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/5/29/17404814/2018-nba-finals-cleveland-cavaliers-underdogs-golden-state-warriors-vegas-is-probably-right

The Cavaliers opened as a 12-point underdog for Game 1 of the 2018 NBA Finals, putting James’ squad on the ugly end of one of the largest point spreads to ever kick off the league’s championship series.

For reference, those odds mean a $100 bet on the Cavaliers would net you $750 if they won the title. In order to make money off the Warriors, you’d have to plunk down $1,200 just to win $100. That price is nearly double what bettors got back from the biggest NBA Finals upset of the millennium, when the Pistons were a +400 ‘dog to beat a Lakers team with Shaquille O’Neal, Kobe Bryant, Karl Malone, and Gary Payton. Rip Hamilton, Tayshaun Prince, Ben Wallace, and Chauncey Billups came together as a team to send bettors home back in 2004.

Very Stable Genius

It's been an amazing post season for the Cavs, and I sure hope they can give GS a good fight. It's incredible to me that Golden State has been able to keep their stars healthy, for the most part, through each of their playoff runs the past 4 years. I know Steph had a bit of an injury in the earlier rounds, but they've not had to overcome any sort of real obstacle to get to the finals/championship. I obviously don't wish injury on anyone, but it sure would make for a more interesting series if one of their guys would go down like Chris Paul, or Kyrie/Love from the Cavs finals a few years back.

It's been an amazing post season for the Cavs, and I sure hope they can give GS a good fight. It's incredible to me that Golden State has been able to keep their stars healthy, for the most part, through each of their playoff runs the past 4 years. I know Steph had a bit of an injury in the earlier rounds, but they've not had to overcome any sort of real obstacle to get to the finals/championship. I obviously don't wish injury on anyone, but it sure would make for a more interesting series if one of their guys would go down like Chris Paul, or Kyrie/Love from the Cavs finals a few years back.

And, Kawhi.

Cavs were not favorites last year, but there were definitely split opinions on who would win.  The Cavs were defending champs, had beaten GS earlier in the year.  The initial spread was GS +120 (i think round there).  not crazy odds compared to this year...+650.  Yikes. 

Are you absolutely kidding me right now?  Hill (81% FT shooter) misses what could have been the winning FT, JR Smith makes what could have been the biggest offensive rebound of his career and then does that?!

Stuff like the reversed charge call and the total inexplicable JR Smith play makes me think the NBA might really be rigged. JR is complete garbage.

Are you absolutely kidding me right now?  Hill (81% FT shooter) misses what could have been the winning FT, JR Smith makes what could have been the biggest offensive rebound of his career and then does that?!

Hill has been choking from the FT line all playoffs.  With that much pressure, I was just happy he made one.

Hill has been choking from the FT line all playoffs.  With that much pressure, I was just happy he made one.

JR thought the Cavs were winning so he was trying to dribble it out.  What a disaster.

Stuff like the reversed charge call and the total inexplicable JR Smith play makes me think the NBA might really be rigged. JR is complete garbage.

I keep reliving both these plays in my head.  So depressed.

There was a super annoying Warriors fan next to me....his voice, so irritating.

I was going to punch him right in his stupid face.

JR is terrible.  His defense is bad, he gets beat off the dribble by everyone, can't defend down low and his offense production isn't enough to justify.  He's old and is slow getting up & down the court.  Last night though, was inexcusable.  Had he tapped the ball back in, like Nance had been doing all night, it's game over.  Even go back up for the shot and get fouled, it could be game over.  Anything but dribbling out the clock...

Even if he went back up for the shot and missed, and not gotten fouled, the chaos could easily have worked in our favor--LeBron might well have come up with one last tip-in.

Haven't been this shaken by a single, isolated moment in Cleveland sports since Kipnis hit a 500 ft foul ball in Game 7.

Haven't been this shaken by a single, isolated moment in Cleveland sports since Kipnis hit a 500 ft foul ball in Game 7.

Ernest Byner's fumble still gives me nightmares.

'97 Game 7 still resonates.  Tony freaking Fernandez.

Very Stable Genius

Ken Mauer, NBA referee: The reason for the trigger is that we had doubt as to whether or not James was in the restricted area. When over at the table, we then are allowed to determine whether or not he was in a legal guarding position. It was determined he was out of the restricted area, but he was not in a legal guarding position prior to Durant's separate shooting motion. So we had to change it to a blocking foul.

Are you ****ing blind??? **** these refs.

Very Stable Genius

JR's +/- was a pathetic -22, which was by far the worst out of anyone who got minutes last night. 

I think there was an issue with him being in for that final rebound anyways.

You know GS is going to take a timeout make or miss, so I think we should've went with height with TT, Korver, Green, Lebron, and Hill. After the timeout, we can swap Korver for JR and even Green for Nance if you want

I believe there's something like 15 40+ point games in the NBA playoffs since 1970 (something like that) by a 33+ year old.  The list is basically LeBron, who has over half of them, Jordan, and like two other guys.

On the bright side, the JR gaffe at the end of the game has caused everyone to forget JR's gaffe at the end of the 1st half leaving Curry wide open.

Very Stable Genius

^that's part of what makes Curry so dangerous, I don't really fault JR for that shot at all.  He's so ridiculously accurate from long rage, defenders have to come out & guard him beyond the 3 point arc... which opens up the inside more for passing lanes and driving layups...

^that's part of what makes Curry so dangerous, I don't really fault JR for that shot at all.  He's so ridiculously accurate from long rage

What?  JR should know, with under 2 seconds left, he's got to stay with Curry to contest the last second shot.  Going for a steal that was going to result in nothing was dumb.

Very Stable Genius

My feeling is the Cavs had their chance to grab a game.  Being that close to losing game one scared the warriors.  Now the Cavs have to win borh games at home.  Hopefully perkins can play a little as they need help at center.    I just think it would be cool seeing Perkins and Thompson under the basket.  That will stop Durant and Green.. Also i’d like to see Calderon come in for at least 10 minutes especially if Curry isn’t playing.

I don’t want to see JR or Hill guarding Durant or mcgee. But this is kind of the issue with the matchups with GS.. Hood looks like a lost cause. I’m not much of a fan of Clarkson against GS either.

Have to keep in mind just last series (and in the '16 Finals) Cavs went down 0-2, but man...this just feels different.  Klay a bit hobbled in Game 1 and Warriors #1 defender on LeBron out...up in the final minute of game 1 and headed home 0-2.  Seems like a gut punch to me.

When you have a 73-win team and upgrade your #3 position to the 2nd-best player on the planet...I mean, what is the rest of the league supposed to do?  LeBron would need an Anthony Davis/KAT to replace Love AND a Paul George type AND maybe a Devin Booker / Eric Gordon off the bench type of player to keep pace.  LeBron is averaging 35/9/9 through the playoffs which is just absurd.

Jordan (in addition to being a DPOY himself) played with a back-to-back DPOY and managed to duck Olajuwon in the Finals.  LeBron, meanwhile, is going up against DPOY Draymond Green and Kawhi Leonard won it twice.  LeBron needs a DPOY guy on his team plus the greatest 3-point shooter of all-time and then we can evaluate him on even footing with Jordan.

Very Stable Genius

SMH....down 0-2.  Hopefully the rest of the Cavs join Lebron on the flight home and show up for game 3.

other than the JR gaffe and hill miss in game 1 , the role players have been doing *enough* to win.  Take away the fourth quarter last night (one out of 8 quarters), the cavs have looked more comfortable in Oracle than i have ever seen them in previous years.  Lebron will nee 40-50 per night and not 13 assists, thats just the reality of it. 

One thing about these guys is being down 0-2 is not an uncommon place for them, they are pretty resilient.  Im not sure why whenever the cavs lose its the end of the world and when the cavs win we are the best team ever.  These are all humans and grown men, its who can win 4 first.  Thye have to win two games at home, which they can do despite it being very hard.  Then you re-set and try to get another one in Oracle.

SMH....down 0-2.  Hopefully the rest of the Cavs join Lebron on the flight home and show up for game 3.

the role players have been doing *enough* to win.

The 3 main bench players (Korver, Green, Nance) went 2-11 for 9 points in Game 2.

I don't think you can afford to play TT and Love at the same time.  You need Jeff Green out there on Durant or Draymond, imo.  Love does an admirable job, but I'd rather have TT switching on pick and rolls instead of Love.

Very Stable Genius