Cleveland Cavs Discussion

Guest wimwar

1 hour ago, KJP said:

Cavs owner Dan Gilbert hospitalized with 'stroke-like symptoms'

https://www.news5cleveland.com/dan-gilbert-stroke-symptoms

Shit, hope he’s ok...the article made it sound like he was recovering comfortably. Eventually he’ll probably hand the franchise down to Nick (son). Also can we just skip the Finals and get straight to the draft? Summer League? Our frontrunners at #5 are Jarrett Culver, De’Andre Hunter, and Cam Reddish. With Zion, Ja, and RJ out of the way, the Lakers are presumed to be taking either Hunter or Darius Garland. Even with the disappointment of falling to 5 and LeBron’s Lakers drafting ahead of us (barring a trade), we have solid choices. Do we go with high risk but high upside in Reddish or a more “bust-proof” player like Jarrett Culver, who may be the most versatile player in this draft. Also Culver and Hunter likely would instantly improve our terrible defense. 

Edited by Boxtruffles
Detail

"We each pay a fabulous price
  for our visions of paradise."
     - ????, ???????

1 hour ago, Boxtruffles said:

Shit, hope he’s ok...the article made it sound like he was recovering comfortably. Eventually he’ll probably hand the franchise down to Nick (son). Also can we just skip the Finals and get straight to the draft? Summer League? Our frontrunners at #5 are Jarrett Culver, De’Andre Hunter, and Cam Reddish. With Zion, Ja, and RJ out of the way, the Lakers are presumed to be taking either Hunter or Darius Garland. Even with the disappointment of falling to 5 and LeBron’s Lakers drafting ahead of us (barring a trade), we have solid choices. Do we go with high risk but high upside in Reddish or a more “bust-proof” player like Jarrett Culver, who may be the most versatile player in this draft. Also Culver and Hunter likely would instantly improve our terrible defense. 

Cavs are definitely in an interesting spot. I think there might be some opportunity for them to move around in the draft. I imagine the Lakers aren’t too thrilled about adding another young player to their roster, and there’s no way Boston wants to add 3 first round rookies (although I would be cautious about dealing with Ainge.) If the Cavs could add another pick somewhere in the middle of the draft (using some of their expirings), they might get the best of both worlds. They could take Culver at 5 and take a big swing on somebody like Kevin Porter later. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

D2AD769D-D164-43B2-ADF5-A5F5A2BF6E2F.thumb.jpeg.ee5f59f09407f8bce3dc5a745013879b.jpegWhat a draft haul for the Cavs...Darius Garland (in the traditional Tatooinian garb ?)  at 5 (was hoping for Culver but this was a good selection; backcourt of the future). No trading up with JR’s contract but took Dylan Windler (21ppg/11reb at Belmont last season, good off-ball player, great shooting) who should fit nicely under Beilein’s offense (oh, and the Cavs have hired Lindsay Gottlieb, the first woman coach to go from NCAA to NBA, and Antonio Lang from the Utah Jazz as assistant coaches since the lottery). Finally, a surprise trade of 4 of our accumulated second-rounders and cash considerations for their 30th pick was made with the Pistons (30th pick via Bucks) for Kevin Porter Jr., as you mentioned above. 

Edited by Boxtruffles

- ????, ???????

The Porter pick was a pleasant surprise. Love his raw scoring ability.

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

New court designs for the upcoming season have been leaked, including a sick throwback/classic court and feather C city edition court—and we could be seeing these jerseys (again)!

EAD9DD65-AE10-4B20-88F4-DF0E882E934C.jpeg

37836341-6C14-4F54-AC23-DE28499F9962.jpeg

CD05B3DC-189A-4474-BDA0-338622C70B1D.jpeg

0BD0E7E2-D776-418C-9950-060104DE8CBA.jpeg

142120E2-4CE5-49AE-A6A2-4B27FD8CCF08.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

- ????, ???????

I can understand having a bit of nostalgia for those early Gund Arena era uniforms (and for 90s Microsoft clip art), but I don’t think they ever were or will ever be popular. 

The blue/gold Cavs unis mean nothing to me. It’s like some other team. 

I’d have been much more on board with a re-work of the Price-Nance-Daugherty era stuff that the new mgmt seems to hate. 

Aw well, maybe I’m dead wrong and people will love it. I’m still looking forward to the season. It’ll be interesting! 

Edited by surfohio

6 minutes ago, surfohio said:

I can understand having a bit of nostalgia for those early Gund Arena era uniforms (and for 90s Microsoft clip art), but I don’t think they ever were or will ever be popular. 

The blue/gold Cavs unis mean nothing to me. It’s like some other team. 

I’d have been much more on board with a re-work of the Price-Nance-Daugherty era stuff that the new mgmt seems to hate. 

Aw well, maybe I’m dead wrong and people will love it. I’m still looking forward to the season. It’ll be interesting! 

The city edition jerseys are generally a departure from the normal scheme for most teams. Those blue and gold ones are actually modeled on an old Cavs uni tho.

7CD9DC1B-DC49-4512-9F18-D5F2DED13A62.jpeg

Edited by bumsquare
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, surfohio said:

^ now that I did not know, b ecause i’m younger than 70 ? Kidding!! 

Is that from the dreaded Ted Steppian era? I admittedly have very little knowledge of the Cavs prior to 89. 

No, that's from the Nick Mileti era - those were the original Cavs uniforms

2 hours ago, surfohio said:

Oh wow. I'm surprised they didn't have Bobby Sura make the announcement. Is there another franchise that has more color schemes than the Cavs? 

I’m pumped, Nov 23 home game vs POR will be the first time we get to see the classic court/units in action this season. I know Jazz have quite a few (dark green, yellow, blue, white, purple/mountains)—seems like expansion teams typically go though more color changes than the original franchises.

- ????, ???????

• 2 weeks later...

Aw man this is horrible.

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2019/09/fred-mcleod-tv-voice-of-the-cavaliers-has-died-at-age-67.html

Fred McLeod, TV voice of the Cavaliers, has died at age 67
Updated 11:27 AM; Today 10:14 AM
By Chris Fedor, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Fred McLeod, the TV voice of the Cleveland Cavaliers, died suddenly Monday evening, the team announced. He was 67 years old.

A multiple regional Emmy Award winner, McLeod was one of the most accomplished and respected announcers in the NBA. He recently celebrated his 36th season of broadcasting games, having also spent 22 seasons announcing Detroit Pistons games before returning home to join the Cavaliers in 2006.

McLeod was born and grew up in nearby Strongsville, Ohio. He was the Cavaliers television play-by-play announcer on FOX Sports Ohio since the 2006 season and was about to embark on his 14th consecutive season -- and 15th overall -- as he served in the same capacity with the Cavs during the 1979-80 season. In addition to his play-by-play duties, McLeod also served as the Cavaliers’ Executive Producer for Multimedia, providing fans behind-the-scenes access on Cavs.com Cavs HQ, Twitter and Facebook with daily updates and interviews during the season.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Mendo said:

Terrible news. Such a bright and happy voice to hear during the good and bad years. His Game 7 winning call against the Warriors is ingrained in my head forever. 

RIP Fred.

• Like 1

Very sad. Fred was a very likable guy. I can only imagine the pain his family and friends, such as Austin Carr, are going through.

• Like 1

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, mrnyc said:

i’m really looking forward to sexton/garland. at least on o.

also watching cedi progress.

thats all for now.

https://cavsnation.com/cavs-news-john-beilein-says-backcourt-positions-dont-matter-when-it-comes-darius-garland-collin-sexton/amp/

If they break even this season I'll be happy.

I'm just glad there are no mega stars on the team at the moment, but I feel there is no "leader".  As long as they beat the Knicks, Lakers, Clippers, Mavs and Nuggets I'm happy.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Former NBA coach Blatt leaves Olympiakos

Piraeus (Greece) (AFP) - Olympiakos announced Sunday the departure of former Cleveland Cavaliers coach David Blatt, who in August revealed his diagnosis with primary progressive multiple sclerosis (PPMS).

"It is a difficult moment for everyone since we part ways with a great coach but most of all a wonderful person," the Greek basketball club said.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/former-nba-coach-blatt-leaves-olympiakos-170403922--nba.html

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

hmm this does not portend well.

#9 of ten things masslive learned from the cavs-celts game:

9. The Cavaliers are just awful

They finished the game with 27 turnovers and 26 made baskets. That’s not easy to pull off.

Cleveland was never supposed to be good, but they could be the worst team in the league.

They’ve got some young talent that will be interesting to watch develop. Kevin Porter, Jr., Darius Garland, Marques Bolden, and Collin Sexton could be the future of that franchise, but if one or two of those guys don’t pan out, then it could be a long rebuild in Cleveland.

The Kevin Love trade watch will be interesting this year.

Edited by mrnyc

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2019 at 12:50 AM, mrnyc said:

They finished the game with 27 turnovers and 26 made baskets. That’s not easy to pull off.

Cleveland was never supposed to be good, but they could be the worst team in the league.

They’ve got some young talent that will be interesting to watch develop. Kevin Porter, Jr., Darius Garland, Marques Bolden, and Collin Sexton could be the future of that franchise, but if one or two of those guys don’t pan out, then it could be a long rebuild in Cleveland.

That game was a fluke. Our regular season win over Indiana was not.

- ????, ???????

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2019 at 12:50 AM, mrnyc said:

There are not a lot of people with this opinion. The Cavs are playing above their heads this season. Even the Celtics game you referenced, as awful as they played and even though they were Swiss cheese on defense, they still had a chance to tie that game in the final seconds.  They have been really encouraging this season and I think they are right where they need to be and it’s enjoyable to watch them fight each night

edit: disregard. I’m seeing the date of your post. You are referring to a pre season game

Edited by BelievelandD1

Quality W tonight. Collin dropped 31pts for a career high at Madison Square Garden. We are now tied for 7th seed (playoff standings) and Garland had another strong outing (12/6ast), Sexton looks much improved on the defensive side. We forced a LOT of tovs, and Nance Jr came up with 3 stls. JC also contributed well and made some buckets when we went cold. 

First time since 2010 the Cavs have won back-to-back games in which we’ve led them wire to wire! Not to mention they were both ROAD wins.

• Like 2

- ????, ???????

54 minutes ago, Boxtruffles said:

Quality W tonight. Collin dropped 31pts for a career high at Madison Square Garden. We are now tied for 7th seed (playoff standings) and Garland had another strong outing (12/6ast), Sexton looks much improved on the defensive side. We forced a LOT of tovs, and Nance Jr came up with 3 stls. JC also contributed well and made some buckets when we went cold. 

First time since 2010 the Cavs have won back-to-back games in which we’ve led them wire to wire! Not to mention they were both ROAD wins.

They’ve been beating bad teams and losing to good teams. That’s about the best I could have hoped for this year. The coaching has been good, and Beilein has shown some willingness to adapt his offensive schemes. And the Cavs appear to actually HAVE a defensive scheme this year which is nice. I’m slightly concerned about Garland. It would be nice to see him bury 4 or 5 threes in a game. But his decision making has generally been pretty good. Sexton picked up right where he left off last year. I’m still not convinced he’s a winning player since he doesn’t provide all around contributions. But he’s only 20 and man can he score. TT and Love have been great. 

• Like 1

Garland has looked good the past two games. Patient and under control.  He is a shooter but won’t look like steph curry any time soon. That level of dominance takes a lot of time to build. His hesitation moves remind me a lot of curry. 

the Cavs are indeed fun, I want to see them play this hard all year and land in the 30-win range. Any more than that and they probably lose that too 10 pick to Atlanta. As good as they have been competing they are still a ways off and need that pick if the ultimate goal is bigger things

Edited by BelievelandD1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BelievelandD1 said:

Cavs are indeed fun, I want to see them play this hard all year and land in the 30-win range. Any more than that and they probably lose that too 10 pick to Atlanta. As good as they have been competing they are still a ways off and need that pick if the ultimate goal is bigger things

It was nice to catch some of the game on tv vs. stat watching. I love the energy.

Will be interesting to see if Cedi and Nance can break out of the role player mold. These guys need to score more imho. Tough to believe the son of Larry Sr. isn't already a great mid-range shooter. Still, these guys are always seem to be giving 100 percent which is refreshing. 

And is J. Clarkson looking like a Sixth Man candidate or what? 

13 minutes ago, surfohio said:

It was nice to catch some of the game on tv vs. stat watching. I love the energy.

Will be interesting to see if Cedi and Nance can break out of the role player mold. These guys need to score more imho. Tough to believe the son of Larry Sr. isn't already a great mid-range shooter. Still, these guys are always seem to be giving 100 percent which is refreshing. 

And is J. Clarkson looking like a Sixth Man candidate or what? 

Should they make a run of it to the playoffs and i do see that as a possibility, I’d like to see Nance as the starter at small forward. I’m not sure how much upside Cedi has left.  I saw a wicked bounce pass by Nance last night for a score.  That is more floor awareness than any of the guards seem to have. 

The real excitement will start for Cavs once they get Windler playing.  Bringing Clarkson and Windler on the floor at the same time should improve both of their 3pt percentage because of spacing or so we’re told.  I think Porter is going to be fun watching develop as well.  I see him as a raw, taller version of Garland. 

I was thrilled with a win and all the "boos" directed at the Knicks.  The booing was glorious!  The kids had a ball.  

One thing I don't like, those uniforms.  I'm not a fan of those uniforms. Nor when players pair yellow sneakers with them.  Thing 1 says screams out, "look, the Cavs have acquired Ronald McDonald!"  I looked at Kevin Love and his sneakers and thought, "damn...he's right!"  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MyTwoSense said:

I was thrilled with a win and all the "boos" directed at the Knicks.  The booing was glorious!  The kids had a ball.  

One thing I don't like, those uniforms.  I'm not a fan of those uniforms. Nor when players pair yellow sneakers with them.  Thing 1 says screams out, "look, the Cavs have acquired Ronald McDonald!"  I looked at Kevin Love and his sneakers and thought, "damn...he's right!"  

Yeah they stink. I kind of prefer the plain wine and gold ones they had from ‘11-‘15. I hope they wear those powder blue throwbacks more often. 

• Like 1

They faced an 8 - 3 Miami Heat last night, but I wish the Cavs could've played a little better in their own building.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2020 at 5:28 PM, surfohio said:

Disappointed Koby Altman was not able to find new spots for KLove and Tristan. This has been one of the worst seasons I can remember. 

And it gets better........

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

^Fun game. The Cavs were starting to string some wins together.  Its possible they could’ve played themselves out of a top 5 pick in the draft.
    I’m just hoping the Cavs pick Obi from Dayton and use him as a Small Forward.  He’s the player with the highest ceiling. Lebron-esque even. 
 They are projecting him as a power forward. Assuming Tristan heads to LA, that is a need as well for the Cavs.  If Drummond signs elsewhere they definitely need a big. With a 7ft wing span and 40% from 3pt land, Obi will stretch the floor. It looks like his weakest part of his game is free throws at 70%. But with Bball a full time job that will likely improve. 

• 1 month later...

So what is this?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/03/sport/nba-plan-22-teams-come-back-trnd/index.html

The 22 teams participating are: Milwaukee Bucks, Toronto Raptors, Boston Celtics, Miami Heat, Indiana Pacers, Philadelphia 76ers, Brooklyn Nets, Orlando Magic and Washington Wizards, Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Clippers, Denver Nuggets, Utah Jazz, Oklahoma City Thunder, Houston Rockets, Dallas Mavericks, Memphis Grizzlies, Portland Trail Blazers, New Orleans Pelicans, Sacramento Kings, San Antonio Spurs and Phoenix Suns.

So Cleveland is out?

If this is true, it sucks. It is one thing if they all don't play, but for certain teams to bet cut off like this?   This is messed up IMO.

^This is mainly getting teams an abbreviated short season and an option for some teams to play themselves into the playoffs and back in game shape. I suspect some older players are going to get injured from this intense end of season playoff schedule.