Cincinnati: Corryville: Hampton Inn & Suites

Guest UncleRando

Looks like the opposite end of the Short Vine district has its anchor.

Developers name hotel, retail tenants for Vine Street project

BY DAN MONK | CINCINNATI BUSINESS COURIER

January 18, 2008

CORRYVILLE - [glow=yellow,2,300]A 138-room Hampton Inn & Suites hotel[/glow] will be the anchor in a $24 million development at the corner of Martin Luther King Boulevard and Vine Street, a project that's expected to create 150 new jobs.

"We'll cater to (University of Cincinnati) grads who come to town for basketball and football weekends. We'll get visiting professors, people who come to town for conferences. There's definitely a need," said Burgess Doan, who is partnering with Kenwood's JFP Group on the project.

[glow=yellow,2,300]The development will include an IHOP restaurant, a Starbucks retail location, a 115-car parking garage and a yet-to-be-named bank branch. [/glow]

Click on link for article.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^^^

An IHOP in the area would be cool.  We already have a Starbucks.  I know Starbucks likes to build locations 2 blocks from each other but it seems kind of unnecessary.  Oh boy, a bank!

Additionally, there is already the Kingsgate Marriott which is never even close to full.  Who needs another 138 hotel rooms?

Additionally, there is already the Kingsgate Marriott which is never even close to full.  Who needs another 138 hotel rooms?

We don't need another hotel like Kingsgate, but an affordable option in the center city would be nice...Hampton Inn will be just that.

There would be 3, but college campuses and hospitals can support lots of coffee shops. The Marriott is way overpriced for normal travelers. It is mostly used by the university and the hospital for conferences and similar folks.

We don't need another hotel like Kingsgate, but an affordable option in the center city would be nice...Hampton Inn will be just that.

yes, this is BIG news. I actually work for Hampton, and anyone that knows anything about the limited-service sector of the hotel industry knows that Hampton is the leading brand in this category. The brand loyalty is amazing and guest satisfaction is amongst the highest of any brand. Plus, this will be a great option for those looking to score Hilton Honors points for thier stays that don't want to be downtown or in Covington. Plus, keep in mind that as a Hampton Inn & SUITES hotel this property will also be an excellent extended stay option for visiting professors, consultants, doctors/nurses in training, or family of hospital patients since all suites have full kitchens and separate living and sleeping areas. sorry to sound like such an ad LOL, but I love Hamptons and I think this is going to be great for this area!!!

does anyone know what group will manage this hotel when it opens? and can anyone get any renderings of this project?

I hope Hampton makes their property urbanesque taking into account the area around it.

that's why I'm so curious to see the renderings. and it actually would not be Hampton...they are all franchised and the builder/owner of each property chooses their own style and pays Hilton to use the Hampton name and their services. my concern is that they just go with a Hampton prototype...which are nice enough for the suburbs or airport, but totally not appropriate for this area.

• 2 weeks later...

Corryville hotel on track

Work to start this summer

BY LISA BERNARD-KUHN | [email protected]

Work is to begin this summer on an estimated $25 million development that is luring a Hampton Inn & Suites and an IHOP restaurant to Corryville.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080206/BIZ01/802060356/1076/BIZ

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

going back to the Hampton Inn development...I originally did not like the renderings because I was expecting something more like the Hampton Inn Crosstown Center in Boston. While this is a Hampton prototype build, I do like the parking deck and the way the IHOP and Sbux will hide the parking lot from the street. Also, I'm assuming the loading docks for these places will be the on the lower level of the parking deck?

What I think is odd is that there will be houses right across the street from this project...weird density change, eh?

images_HX_BOSHS_boshs_b1.jpg

Cincinnati approves zoning change for 3000 Vine project

http://www.building-cincinnati.com/2008/08/cincinnati-approves-zoning-change-for.html

Cincinnati City Council has approved a zoning change from residential to planned development (PD-54) use that will allow for construction of the $24 million 3000 Vine project in Corryville.

The project, to be developed by 3000 Vine, LLC on cleared property at the intersection of Vine Street and E Martin Luther King Jr Drive, will include an 82,204-square-foot, 134-room Hampton Inn & Suites hotel; a 5,000-square-foot US Bank branch; and two restaurants of between 5,000 and 7,500 square feet.

Starbucks and IHOP are the likely restaurant tenants.

The hotel, along Vine Street, and the restaurants, along E Martin Luther King Jr Drive, are planned to be built to the lot line, with a grand stair descending from between the two restaurants to the new bank branch and a 219-space surface parking lot.

A single-story underground parking garage will be accessible from Ahrens Street.

The targeted groundbreaking date for 3000 Vine Street is September 1, with buildout scheduled for late 2010.

The parking garage, restaurants and bank would be built first, followed by the hotel.

The project is likely to create up to 150 jobs, most of which will be filled by residents from within the surrounding Empowerment Zone neighborhoods.

can anyone explain the positioning of the location of the Sbux, bank, and IHOP in this rendering. The only thing that I can say for sure is the hotel.

The Sbux (green and beige looking awnings) and IHOP (blue awnings) can pretty clearly be seen in the smaller two buildings fronting on MLK.  I'm not sure about the bank...maybe it will be a part of the hotel structure or possibly around the backside of the Sbux structure fronting onto the parking lot or Ahrens Street.

The hotel, along Vine Street, and the restaurants, along E Martin Luther King Jr Drive, are planned to be built to the lot line, with a grand stair descending from between the two restaurants to the new bank branch and a 219-space surface parking lot.

That makes it sound like the bank will be on the upper level of the Starbucks, facing the parking lot, which works because I don't think Starbucks needs or wants another floor. Oh and it shows a drive thru, I don't drink coffee, but do Starbucks have drive thrus? I'm sure the bank would appreciate it.

^Many newer Sbux are equiped with drive-thrus, but the drive-thru shown in this looks like a bank drive-thru and not a Sbux one.  When Sbux has them they are right on the building (without a cover like the one shown) essentially just like a fast food drive-thru.

After a closer look it appears that the bank is in that building with an entrance in that plaza area in between the two small buildings.

Okay, I can see things a bit better now. It looks like perhaps Sbux will have the street level space, while the bank will occupy the "second floor" or parking deck level.

I'm still concerned about how this is going to look with residential right across the street...very awkward, IMO. especially for the homeowners, haha.

Guest jmecklenborg

^Well those homes won't be there for long.  Everything bordering Martin Luther King Dr. will eventually be demolished.  And Martin Luther King Drive will always look like crap because it used to simply be a residential side street meaning there weren't any commercial buildings facing it originally and the businesses being built along it are all auto-oriented and therefore suck. 

• 2 weeks later...

Try calling the number on the sign and asking for property information. This would be an easy way to see what is actually being marketed in relation to that sign.

can somebody do this ASAP please!? I'm not in Cincinnati again for another few weeks and I did not take down the number, but I definitely want to know what is going on with this site. I would much appreciate it!

thanks!

...and I'll just put it out there: the fact that no one on here knows anything about the status of this project and/or the land REALLY scares me! no joke!

Take it easy...the old go to guy (grasscat aka buildingcincinnati) doesn't come around as often.  I'm swamped, but I'll do a little research and see what I turn up.

^Considering no one knows the story about this project (other than the rumors), I don't know how it could be compared to anything.  The Banks stalled and started again for known reasons on different occasions...as has the McMillan Park project.  Once this story develops then we can all get back to the pissing and moaning.

Clock running down on Uptown project financing

Missing Sept. 30 deadline would erase $30M in credits

http://cincinnati.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2008/09/08/story8.html

Last-minute changes to the proposed tenant mix at Corryville Crossings have prompted the Uptown Consortium to ask its financial partners to seek a deadline extension from the U.S. Treasury Department, which could revoke about $30 million in federal tax credits if the consortium doesn’t invest at least $10 million in the mixed-use project by month’s end.

I have to admit, when Sbux announced their plans to close hundreds of stores and realign their markets, the first thing that came to my mind was their involvement in this project, so I'm not surprised they are out. I still think and IHOP would do fantastic here, but I don't think they are willing to take any risks given the market and economy. I still hope the Hampton Inn pulls through because that is the focus point of this project and a limited service hotel would be a great addition to this areas offerings.

so what do you guys think....is this project going to happen or not? I'm glad I know what is going on, but I'm still concerned that all parties involved will not follow through to make this happen.

I think any 24 hour eating establishment within a couple blocks from a large university would have to do well.  The Hampton Inn would be nice, but I don't know that the Mariott that sits a couple of blocks away is operating at anywhere near full capacity.  Hopefully they find some interesting new tenants for the site, certainly something other than a bank.

Eh, I can see why IHOP bailed. How many other urban IHOPs can you name? They are almost like Bob Evans or Cracker Barrel. You know what would work really awesome at this location, though? A Rooster's!

No Ihops are allowed within Columbus' city limits from my understanding; it's stipulated in an agreement between the city and Bob Evans!

I agree; that's the perfect spot for an ihop. UC needs at least ONE 24 hour place.

I think any 24 hour eating establishment within a couple blocks from a large university would have to do well. The Hampton Inn would be nice, but I don't know that the Mariott that sits a couple of blocks away is operating at anywhere near full capacity. Hopefully they find some interesting new tenants for the site, certainly something other than a bank.

The Marriott does well in the market.  Many hotels are suffering a slowdown right now because of the economy.

Eh, I can see why IHOP bailed. How many other urban IHOPs can you name? They are almost like Bob Evans or Cracker Barrel. You know what would work really awesome at this location, though? A Rooster's!

There was one at the corner of 16th and Meridian close to downtown Indy...but it literally closed a few weeks ago.  bah!