CincyImages

Cincinnati: Bars / Nightlife News

Happy Hour Cincinnati: The Stand

BY RANDY SIMES | URBANCINCY

May 9, 2008

*Article includes external links and images.

MT. LOOKOUT - The Stand is located in the always great Mt. Lookout Square. Their happy hour specials are on their drinks. The Stand offers $2 domestics, $3 imports and well drinks, and $3.50 call drinks. The happy hour is from 6pm-8pm daily and is combined with a variety of other specials offered throughout the week (which can be found on their website).

The Stand has got a trendy vibe to it and offers live music most nights, pool, and flat-screen TVs. They also advertise free wi-fi all night long if that's what tickles your fancy.

The Stand

3195 Linwood Avenue (GoogleMap)

Cincinnati, OH 45208

Previous happy hour readings on UrbanCincy:

Buddakhan --- Via Vite --- McCormick & Schmick's

Question for Cincinnati Peeps in the music scene. I found a few mentions via the search function but figured this might be my best place to ask anew.

Do any of you guys know anything about a band from Cincinnati called Moth? Their only presence on the internet is a myspace page http://www.myspace.com/moth  that hasn't been touched in months. If anyone is curious, Revolution is a great song.

If anyone knows anything about these guys, if they are still around or whatever, let me know.

^ Yeah, MOTH is an awesome band!

I haven't heard them live in a while ... how'd you find out about them?

Pandora "introduced" me to them. If you guys hear anything, a show or whatever, let me know.

^ Yeah, MOTH is an awesome band!

I haven't heard them live in a while ... how'd you find out about them?

Pandora "introduced" me to them. If you guys hear anything, a show or whatever, let me know.

A little different stlye, but local ... you should check out "Bad Veins" and "Heartless Bastards" too ...

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=34744426

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=14930996

Fortunately for me, I bumped into thomasbw yesterday as he was on his way to a party on the McAlpin Building's rooftop deck (one of the coolest atmospheres in town by far).

Open bar and from what I was told the live music was the nation's #1 gay artist.  Pretty cool...especially the open bar.  Thanks Brad.

Moth is very good, but I am not sure if they are still together.  Their song "I See Sound" made it onto alt charts, and I wore out the CD "Provisions, Fiction, and Gear" a few months ago after a neighbor reminded me of the band and lent me the CD.

BTW, since Heartless Bastards are already well known in indie circuit I would say Bad Veins are next Cincy band to break out.  They have a little bit of a Killers/Strokes thing going without sounding too contrived.  I think they were at this year's SXSW.

(Bang quality)

*chuckle*

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Also, where exactly is Mainstay on 5th St. going to be? E or W? Anyone know?

Old Poison Room.

(Bang quality)

I have never been to Bang, but I just meant an up-scale club with bottle and table service and at least a decent DJ, all of which are services sorely needed in Cincinnati clubs.

*chuckle*

Except when I Bang your mom.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Which is you 90% of the time.

Rachel Z Trio at the Blue Wisp

http://www.urbancincy.com/2008/09/rachel-z-trio-at-blue-wisp.html

This Friday Cincinnati’s legendary Blue Wisp Jazz Club will welcome the world renowned pianist Rachel Nicolazzo (aka Rachel Z) and her trio. Rachel Z will be joined by bassist Maeve Royce and drummer Bobbie Raye.

The Manhattan-born pianist started classical training at age seven and eventually attended and graduated from the New England Conservatory. She released her first album, Trust the Universe, in 1993 with Columbia Records. Since that time she has released eight more albums with the most recent being the trio album entitled – Dept. of Good and Evil Featuring Rachel Z.

In this album Rachel Z shares the spotlight with her trio mates, but explores wonderful rhythms and harmonies with her many improvisations. The flow is tremendous and the improve keeps you guessing. Be sure to check out these well known songs done to the smooth sounds of the Rachel Z Trio:  Soul Meets Body (Death Cab for Cutie), Ain't No Sunshine (Bill Withers), Maps (The Yeah Yeah Yeahs), and King of Pain (Sting) to name a few.

Music starts at 8:30pm and will last around three hours until 11:30pm. There is a $12 cover to get through the doors for this top-notch performance. Drink prices are comparable to other bars/clubs around town and the Blue Wisp offers a variety of food offerings beyond the typical bar snacks.

Watch a live performance below, by the Rachel Z Trio, of the Dept. of Good and Evil track ESP (Miles Davis/Wayne Shorter).

Happy Hour Cincinnati: Cock & Bull English Pub

http://www.urbancincy.com/2008/09/happy-hour-cincinnati-cock-bull-english.html

Situated perfectly in Covington's Mainstrasse neighborhood, Cock & Bull is a great spot to grab a few pints of your favorite beer, enjoy live music, people watch from their outdoor seating, or just have a great time with a group of friends. It can be easily found on the SW corner of Main and 6th streets.

Cock & Bull English Pub was rated as having the 'Best Beer Selection' by America Online in 2006. You can choose from 25 beers on tap and roughly 70 overall. Beer not your thing? Cock & Bull also has 15 different wines to choose from and 10 different bourbons.

Live music is a staple throughout the week, as is their 'Tap Time' from 4pm-7pm M-F where you can get 20oz pints for $3.50. After 7pm, on Fridays, you can you'll find DJ Special K and Ladies specials that include $2 domestics and $2 well drinks.

If you get hungry you should try their award winning Fish & Chips ($9 - $12), one of their 5 burgers ($8), or even their famous Fish Sandwich ($7.50). They also have plenty of appetizers and small plate options to choose from if you're just looking for something to munch on.

Cock & Bull English Pub

601 Main Street (GoogleMap)

Covington, KY 41011

Eclipse at Northside Tavern tonight

http://www.urbancincy.com/2008/09/eclipse-at-northside-tavern-tonight.html

Northside Tavern's new backroom is open, and will be the spot to check out Eclipse tonight. There will be no cover and music will start around 10pm.

Listen to Eclipse here!

Northside Tavern is open until 2:30am everyday and is a great spot to catch local music and enjoy a few drinks. Northside Tavern has received accolades like 'Best new bar' (2003 - Cincinnati Enquirer), 'Best Public Living Room' (2004 - CityBeat Best of Cincinnati), 'Best Supporter of Local Music' and 'Best Bar/Nightclub' (both 2005 - CityBeat Best of Cincinnati). One of the other great things is that it is situated nicely in the heart of Northside.

Feel free to get there a little early and take advantage of their happy hour that runs from 5pm-8pm M-F. You can get $2.75 pints, $2.50 well, $3.00 call and $3.50 wine. Northside Tavern (GoogleMap) also has a huge outdoor patio if you care to enjoy the lovely weather or if you need to get out and smoke.

Salsa Dancing at the Wisp

http://www.urbancincy.com/2008/11/salsa-dancing-at-wisp.html

Over the summer Fountain Square hosted Salsa on the Square every Thursday which included salsa lessons. The event showed the most growth of all of Fountain Square's summer events with crowds of 400-500 people by the end of summer. With these weekly nights of Salsa on the Square done until next summer, I couldn't think of a better spot to rekindle the dancing magic during the winter months than the Blue Wisp Jazz Club.

This Thursday, November 13th, the Blue Wisp will have salsa dancing with Mambo Diablo starting at 8pm. Free dance lessons will be available a half hour prior to the show. There is a $5 cover charge for this show, but if you're one of the many who are into salsa dancing then this is probably for you. Mambo Diablo consists of John Zappa (trumpet), Stan Ginn (percussion), Bill Jackson (bass), Mike Darrah (piano) and a couple others.

You could make it a full evening of music at the Blue Wisp (GoogleMap) by getting there after work for happy hour. The free show features The Courthouse Trio with Billy Larkin (piano), Eddie Felson (bass), and Al Beasley (drums) will be taking the stage at 4:30pm, but would make for a great after work stop whenever you get off. There are plenty of food offerings, and of course lots of drinks to choose from.

Hey I skimmed through this threat and didn't really see what I was looking for. . .

So my question is does anyone know of downtown venues for live DJs who play House/ Progressive/ Trance/ Techno?

I would really, like to find a place to go for that around here.

Bang used to occasionally, not sure if they still do.  Aside from that, there's Clique across the river in Covington which has some good nights, particularly 4/4 if that's still going.  Sadly, the limited nights at these two places are all that's left for decent edm (unless something has changed since I moved away.)

Basically, you've got to do your research to find out which nights are good.  Otherwise it's totally hit or miss, with an emphasis on miss.

So my question is does anyone know of downtown venues for live DJs who play House/ Progressive/ Trance/ Techno?

Possibly look at Below Zero at 12th and Walnut or even Mixx Ultralounge just a block or so away from that.  I haven't yet been to Mixx, but I've been to Below Zero (gay friendly) twice before.  In the CBD most bars/clubs are your chain type places that are going to give you that Top 40 remix with a splash of rock hits from the 70's and 80's.

Yea, if you venture to below zero, be prepared to be the only straight boy there, even if rando is there.  I go there quite often and enjoy it.  while technically a gay friendly bar, it is almost (key word) exclusively a gay bar. 

Hey I skimmed through this threat and didn't really see what I was looking for. . .

I would really, like to find a place to go for that around here.

It's funny that you ask ...

I had a recent enlightening discovery recently. I was out with some friends making my rounds with the Downtown bars and one of the guys I was with (he's straight) informed me that him and a few other people were meeting up at the Subway on Walnut St. (gay bar below Metropole Apt.s) after last call (2:30). I told him I was down for going too. We went and next thing you know tons of other people go there as well (gay and straight). It was awesome. As someone that is extremely picky with good house DJ's, I was very impressed! There were DJ's spinning until about 5:00 am. If you like good electronica and a great crowd, I highly suggest Subway. I'll definitely be back!