CincyImages

Cincinnati: Bars / Nightlife News

I miss America Live! and Metropolis at Forest Fair. That was a real bar hopping experience. Safe, secure and great parking! What else could anyone ask for? Plus after putting in good night of drinking I was always felt safe only having to drive a few miles home to my posh spread in Fairfield.

^ Screw them...  Cap it! They will get over it once they are walking on the park space created from the cap. 

I hope those parks are lined with money-trees.

To bring the conversation back to nightlife, the phenomenal house duo, Lawnchair Generals, from Seattle will be at Bang on Friday night.  I've been to Bang once and said that it could be great if the music was better.  Friday night it will be better.

Look for my friends and me on the dancefloor.

Went to the Blue Wisp last night with a few friends for the Blue Wisp Big Band and it was fantastic as always.  They are slowly but surely starting to offer some food items...the owner also got up during the intermission and was talking about some of their improvements for the place and mentioned that they soon hope to be open for lunch/dinner and serve some BBQ type stuff.

With this said, I am hoping that they look into some new seating options/arrangements for the place, because right now it is a cluster#@!$.  It could be really cool if they wrapped the wall with deep/soft booths that could further develop the chill atmosphere that a jazz club should be.  Plus I would think it might be able to both offer more seating and clean things up a bit for better access for the servers.

Oh yeah and one more thing...I was carded for the first time ever there last night.  I was really shocked given the fact that they have always been known to serve underage and that I have never once been carded.  Oh yeah...and the place was packed full.

I have yet to check out Blue Wisp, but maybe I will this weekend.  I've really been digging the 7th street strip of bars lately.  We got out of Lodge Bar Saturday night after last call and their was just masses of people out on the sidewalks.  Their seemed to be a lack of cabs though as I saw people fighting for them.

To me, it seems that 6th & 7th street are gaining momentum as far as bars go.  The past few times I've been bar hoping on those two streets, their seems to be tons of people in the bars.

The one thing that would be great is if that pizza shop right next to the Lodge bar was open around when the bars closed.  The place would be packed with people leaving the bar.

^There is a walk up pizza by the slice window on Vine right near the corner of 7th and Vine.  Dink's also stays open after the bars let out and it is essentially right next door to the walk up window I mentioned.  With that said, you're right...another one would still do killer business and add to the overall atmosphere.  Oh yeah...there is a Skyline right there at the corner of 7th & Vine as well.  What kind of business do you think they would do right around 2am?

Well given that if you go to Pleasant Ridge Chili after 2AM on a Friday or Saturday and you have to fight for a table, I would image they would do pretty well.  In the warmer months, it would be great to see like a hotdog\pizza\whatever vendor on the street located right around those bars.

Thursdays at the Wisp

BY RANDY SIMES | URBANCINCY

February 7, 2008

DOWNTOWN - There is a new weekly activity that is sure to please…Thursday nights at the Blue Wisp are now UrbanCincy nights. When you go you can now get $3 off of the cover charge – typically $8 reduced to $5 for readers of UrbanCincy. The first Thursday night special will be on Valentines Day with the Dan Faehnle Quartet taking the stage. Dan Faehnle is know for his jazz guitar and even better - he's an Ohio native.

But before the first Thursday night special, there is another performance which is definitely worth checking out. World renowned organ virtuoso, Joey DeFrancesco, will be performing with his trio on February 12th for two shows (7:30pm & 9:30pm). This is a fantastic opportunity to check out a simply outstanding performance that will be full of blistering speed and fantastic control. Make sure you come and see what the hype is about and make your reservations now.

Spread the word and tell everyone you know about the new UrbanCincy nights at the Blue Wisp.

Preview Dan Faehnle's latest record - Ohio Lunch - now!

And check out Joey DeFrancesco here:

wow, this rocks.  Joey DeFrancesco is unbelievable on the B-3, the best I've ever heard.  I hope to be there.

Mention that you heard about it from UrbanCincy...you might be given some sort of discount (no promises).

If you're into Big Band you simply can not miss the Blue Wisp Big Band on Wednesday nights.  $10 cover.  If you're not into that it really just depends on who is performing and also what night of the week (obviously).

On Friday me and some friends hit up Via Vite for happy hour from 3pm to about 6pm.  We then went over and got some food at Potbelly's...then went up to Budahkahn for another round of drinks.  Then we headed on over to Arnolds for some more drinks and their courtyard.  The live music wasn't the best so we then got on the bus and headed for Northside Tavern where we spent the remainder of the evening.  All in all another GREAT Friday in the Nati'.

Here are some pics from Via Vite's rooftop terrace...

CRW_7020.jpg

2. Rock Bottom's outdoor seating is amazing.

CRW_7021.jpg

3. There were some guys playing chess on the square...taking advantage of the nice weather.

CRW_7023.jpg

CRW_7024.jpg

5. So far I've been to Via Vite twice for happy hour...and twice we have run them out of their cold stock of Moerlein OTR Ale.  :drunk:

CRW_7025.jpg

Triage at the Blue Wisp tonight!

May 1, 2008

DOWNTOWN - Triage will be at the Blue Wisp Thursday, May 1st. I can't think of a better way to kick off the new month than by enjoying an UrbanCincy night at the Blue Wisp with one of Cincinnati's best and a Cammy Award winner.

Triage is made up of Eugene Goss (vocals/percussion), Billy Larkin (keyboards/vocals), and Marc Wolfley (drums). The show will start at 8:30pm and has a $8 cover charge (minus your $3 UrbanCincy discount of course).

Blue Wisp (GoogleMap)

Happy Hour Cincinnati: McCormick & Schmick's

May 2, 2008

DOWNTOWN - This week's highlighted happy hour is McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurant. Doesn't sound like a good happy hour place right...WRONG. Happy hour at McCormick & Schmick's is M-F from 4:00pm - 6:30pm. They also have an evening happy hour from 9:30pm - 11:00pm M-Th. Plus the location is just about as central as you can get - directly across the street from Fountain Square.

Their happy hour menu (PDF, 77kb) consists of a variety of food. It includes the fish as you would expect, as well as, a number of other items for those not into the whole seafood thing. The main item they're known for is their 1/2 lb Cheeseburger with fries for only $1.95.

McCormick & Schmick's generally doesn't do specials on their drinks. With that said, the bar has a good selection of drinks and the typical cost for a beer is $3.75. There is also a two drink minimum during happy hour times, but they do not necessarily have to be alcoholic as soft drinks count towards your two drink minimum.

McCormick & Schmick's

21 E. Fifth Street (GoogleMap)

Cincinnati, OH 45202

Previous happy hour coverage on UrbanCincy:

Buddakhan --- Via Vite

Alright fellas, I need some help. I'm going to the cyclones game saturday night with a lady friend and we need something to eat and do afterwards. She doesn't drink though. I have no idea what's in Cincy so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Food wise I am willing to try almost anything. As for price, nothing that is going to make me file bankruptcy please. More or less just a sit down place where we can have a conversation but that is nice and has good food.

I'd highly recommend JeanRo for the dinner after (won't be too bad price wise if you aren't drinking).  Also, around the corner Twist is nice but its mostly coctails, but a nice place to hang out. 

If'n your in the mood for a ton of meat, Boi na Braza brazillian steakhouse is a good choice as well.

For a non drinker, not sure what I'd recommend after, there's lots and lots of cool bars and clubs in up in OTR, but thats all dependent on how comfortable she'd be there.

Via Vite on fountain square would also be a great choice.

Well if we're just talking generally then this should provide a good deal of information for you.  This is a post I did on UrbanCincy a while back, so it doesn't quite include everything since new places have opened since then.

http://www.urbancincy.com/2007/07/new-downtown-cincinnati.html

As for recommendations, you can't beat the Jazz offered at the Blue Wisp.  Twist and Havana Martini Club both offer nice lounge type environments.  In the mood for more of a dance club then check out Bang Nightclub.  There is a lot more shopping than people think, and more places are starting to stay open later.

If you're into art you can't miss Final Fridays in Over-the-Rhine.  Essentially it is a huge gallery hop on the final Friday of every month.  Second Sundays on Main provides a cool atmosphere as well.

In addition to all of this, there is always something fun to do on Fountain Square.  I think tomorrow is the first night for movies on the square this year.  If you're ever interested in finding out what's going on at Fountain Square...simply check out http://www.myfountainsquare.com/fsqforecast and use the calendar on the right hand side to select the day you're interested in.

The Contemporary Arts Center has lots of fun/unique stuff going on all the time as well.  This is a place where you can get a bit of that New York cosmopolitan feel with artists mingling around on opening nights with DJs and wine/drinks.  You can find their calendar of events here - http://www.contemporaryartscenter.org/calendar.

These are just some things to do in Downtown and Over-the-Rhine only.  If you wanted to know more about other parts of the city then we could be here for days.  :-D  Luckily we're always here to help.

Just a heads up...on Fridays me and a group of friends usually hit up Via Vite for happy hour and use that as the starting point for bar hopping the rest of the evening.  Anyone is welcome to come along.

We usually get to Via Vite around 3pm or 4pm...if the weather is nice we sit on the rooftop terrace, if not then we just do something inside.  Just post something in this thread if you're interested in joining sometime.

Acclaimed trombonist, Steve Turre, will be at the Blue Wisp tonight and tomorrow.  Tonight he will be performing with the legendary Blue Wisp Big Band.  The cover charge is $15 each night...but Thursdays are UrbanCincy Nights at the Blue Wisp and you can get $3 off your cover by mentioning the website.  You can find more information about Steve Turre and the performances here:

http://www.urbancincy.com/2008/05/steve-turre-comes-to-blue-wisp-2-nights.html