Guest montecarloss

Cincinnati: Bars / Nightlife News

4 minutes ago, JYP said:

Why can’t there be two jazz clubs in OTR?

Walnut Hills has two...

Because shwartz was on the verge of shutting this past summer but had a GoFundMe that raised enough money to stay open. 

Shwartz is great, don't get me wrong. They have been a staple in the otr community for so long now...that said it's surrounded by such a sketchy area and this truly hurts their business. A new jazz club in a safe corridor of otr would probably be the nail coffin for shwartz. 

16 hours ago, troeros said:

Because shwartz was on the verge of shutting this past summer but had a GoFundMe that raised enough money to stay open. 

Shwartz is great, don't get me wrong. They have been a staple in the otr community for so long now...that said it's surrounded by such a sketchy area and this truly hurts their business. A new jazz club in a safe corridor of otr would probably be the nail coffin for shwartz. 

Schwartz's Point's biggest problem is that they're not a real business. 

1 hour ago, thomasbw said:

Schwartz's Point's biggest problem is that they're not a real business. 

Might be a problem. Or might be a strength. They certainly operate differently than most places. But they have a different model, with different cost structure. I hope they continue to do their thing. 

Molly Wellmann has completely redone Japp's; take a look inside

Cincinnati bar maven Molly Wellmann took over her flagship bar, Japp's since 1879, last summer, and over the past few months she has completely overhauled the interior to more reflect her personality. Now, that's fully on display.

Japp's, at 1136 Main St., is nearly unrecognizable from what it was for years, since the former Wellmann's Brands took over in 2011. Gone are the pale greens and browns, and the pergola that dominated the entire entryway adjacent to the bar has been removed and replaced with a custom banquette. The old hair paraphernalia is gone from the streetside windows, which have been cleared out and now look in on the bar.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/11/13/molly-wellmann-has-completely-redone-japps-take-a.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Old-school video arcade coming to the West Side

The West Side of Cincinnati is getting a little more retro with the upcoming addition of an old-school video game arcade.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/11/14/exclusive-old-school-video-arcade-coming-to-the.html

shutterstock_636086801.1505195483.jpg

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

OTR lagering tunnels to become nightclub, music venue

Subterranean tunnels that were dug into the bedrock of Over-the-Rhine to keep beer cold while it fermented are getting new life as an experimental and experiential space for music, drink and gathering.

Lagering tunnels dating back to the 1850s beneath Union Hall at 1311 Vine St. are being transformed into Ghost Baby, a nightclub and music venue created by Agar co-founder and Transept partner Josh Heuser. The goal is for the space to open around the end of the year.

"There's something about giving old buildings and spaces new energy and life," Heuser told me. "I've always had this mantra that it was here long before me and it'll be here long after me, so if you can put good bones and energy into it, it'll pay you back tenfold."

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/11/19/exclusive-historic-over-the-rhine-lagering-tunnels.html

s5a0532*1024xx3840-2166-0-1448.jpg